Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's a sports watch, all of them are varying degrees of hideous as to be very durable. It's probably a good sign that manufactures see Wear as a broad multi-use platform, unless Google is just bribing them like Microsoft with Windows Phone.
There's lots and lots of attractive sport watches. Even if you're speaking specifically of smartwatches, maybe I'm a dummy, but I don't know how bright orange paint and bezel markings around the screen make it more durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

These might be the least offensive Fossil watches ever.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The color orange makes it easier for rocks to see and avoid hitting the watch, obviously.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

There's lots and lots of attractive sport watches. Even if you're speaking specifically of smartwatches, maybe I'm a dummy, but I don't know how bright orange paint and bezel markings around the screen make it more durable.

This is the TAG Heuer Connected. It is an Android Wear watch. It costs $1500. The band cannot be switched out for a different color.

I dunno. Fashion. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure what argument you're trying to make showing another hideous smartwatch.

I like the middle screen which has the minute numbers on the dial even though it has them physically built into the non-rotatable bezel.

It's better than the Nixon, but that's not saying much.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fashion brand Wear news:

TAG Heuer was extremely pleased with sales of the Connected. They are going to release "a real collection" with six to eight different models. It's not known yet if they will fall above or below the $1500 price tag on the TAG Heuer Connected. The Hublot and Zenith brands are also expected to join the fray.

Michael Kors is going to slap his name on a Wear device. The Michael Kors Access will be a round-with-flat-tire design and prices will start at $395.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Michael Kors is almost certainly the same as the Fossil watches since they own the rights to the watches of that brand along with Adidas, Emporio Armani, Karl Lagerfeld, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Burberry, DKNY, Diesel and Armani Exchange.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Adidas and Diesel watches are incoming, possibly Burberry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, if nothing else, I think Android Wear can be considered a success in general. It's clearly going to be the smart platform of choice for traditional watch manufacturers and has gotten enough attention that they feel it is worth their time to field products.

Or, it could also be the last gasp of the watch industry trying to stay relevant in the 21st century.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's clearly going to be the smart platform of choice for traditional watch manufacturers
Versus...?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Developing their own OS like Pebble, Fitbit, Garmin, and Samsung have done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Which of those are traditional watch companies, again?

(Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Samsung makes watches.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There was always the option of them not producing smartwatches at all.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung would license tizen out.

Really though, it's the fact that they are producing them first party. I mean, I know under all of it, some ODM is responsible for the guts which are mostly the same as one of the others. However, is not a Moto 360 styled by Fossil or a Tag powered by LG. They are their own standalone products.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bull3964 posted:

Well, if nothing else, I think Android Wear can be considered a success in general. It's clearly going to be the smart platform of choice for traditional watch manufacturers and has gotten enough attention that they feel it is worth their time to field products.

Or, it could also be the last gasp of the watch industry trying to stay relevant in the 21st century.

I still vastly prefer my normal watch when traveling, or just when I get sick of glancing at my wrist and occasionally seeing black.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Release date and price for the Casio Smart Outdoor Watch: March 25, $500.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They really need to find an alternative to the flat tire for light sensors, many of these watches are so thick they surely could have put it on the bezel. I know some people don't care but it's an instant deal breaker for a huge percentage.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

They really need to find an alternative to the flat tire for light sensors, many of these watches are so thick they surely could have put it on the bezel. I know some people don't care but it's an instant deal breaker for a huge percentage.

The weird thing about the Michael Kors is I'm not even sure it has a light sensor in the flat tire area.

I guess the final product could be different from the concept, or maybe the shiny gold layer is thin enough to let light through.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apple has theirs behind the screen itself but I'm guessing that's patented by them.

I mean, I hate the flat tire (a lot) but I would never give up the ambient light sensor.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LastInLine posted:

Apple has theirs behind the screen itself but I'm guessing that's patented by them.

I mean, I hate the flat tire (a lot) but I would never give up the ambient light sensor.

Before I got my 360, I listened to tech reviews about it and thought the flat tire design was a stupid one. Now, I guess I'm just super used to it. I don't think I've come across a situation where I really missed not having a full screen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only time I remember that my 360 has a flat tyre is when I read this thread and everyone who doesn't have a 360 complains about it. Though I do use a watchface with a black background at the bottom. It looks a lot more obvious if you use a colour.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of watch faces. I'm using the default dials on my 360 2nd gen. Suggestions on a new watch face?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Speaking of watch faces. I'm using the default dials on my 360 2nd gen. Suggestions on a new watch face?
Minimal & Elegant and Pujie Black both look great if you take some time to customise them. Little Worlds in M&E even turns the flat tyre into an adorable little design feature.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tunga posted:

The only time I remember that my 360 has a flat tyre is when I read this thread and everyone who doesn't have a 360 complains about it. Though I do use a watchface with a black background at the bottom. It looks a lot more obvious if you use a colour.

I notice it anytime I use a traditional watchface, or 90% of the watchfaces that ship with the 360. There are some faces that work fine with it (mostly ones designed for square watches) but on anything circular it's pretty annoying. When I replace my 360 I'm definitely getting something without the flat tire.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Minimal & Elegant and Pujie Black both look great if you take some time to customise them. Little Worlds in M&E even turns the flat tyre into an adorable little design feature.

I asked the same question and followed Tunga's advice on Pujie Black. That was good advice. (I'm an analog guy so M&E doesn't really do it for me.)

Some advice on Pujie:
  • The flat tire is at a radius of .82. That is to say that if you have an element that's further out than that, that's where it starts to get cut off by it.
  • For tick marks, particularly five and one minute ticks, set your radius at .95. This will prevent the curvature of the screen from making the ones nearest your perspective disappear from view when the watch is viewed at anything other than head on. For the five minute marks, it will make the 5 and 7 o'clock ones visible over the flat tire.
  • An extra long quarter tick is still completely obscured by the flat tire.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting that I had to experiment with to learn but I like it. It's got some stuff I don't like about it to be sure but it's alright.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Just wanted to stop by and say that, as the owner of 2 gear s2's, I love the thread title.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Bananana posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that, as the owner of 2 gear s2's, I love the thread title.

What's the point of two? I've had five android wear smart watches and even I think that's nuts.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the point of two? I've had five android wear smart watches and even I think that's nuts.

Got the 2nd one free for buying a galaxy s7

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

One for your wrist, one for your ankle.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

One for your wrist, one for your ankle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I have more than one mechanical watches so it only makes sense. Plus you can use one while the other is charging!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.att.com/devices/lg/watch-urbane-2nd-edition-lte.html#sku=sku7761167

The Urbane LTE is back at AT&T except $60 more expensive and it's not upgraded at all which is a big disappointment, they should have at least ditched the SIM now that AT&T supports eSIM with the S2 3G.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reportedly they'll sell it to you for $99.99 if you agree to buy service for it for 2 years and also buy an LG G5 on AT&T Next.

I guess there is probably a nonzero number of people for whom that is enticing? For me personally I don't see the appeal of connecting my Wear device to an LTE network.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Reportedly they'll sell it to you for $99.99 if you agree to buy service for it for 2 years and also buy an LG G5 on AT&T Next.

I guess there is probably a nonzero number of people for whom that is enticing? For me personally I don't see the appeal of connecting my Wear device to an LTE network.

People that do outdoor athletics that don't like bringing their phone with them, people with jobs that don't allow cellphone cameras, people with jobs that frequently leave them away from their cellphones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I've been looking at the Urbane and the Gear S2 lately, are there any other Wear devices in that price range I should be considering? I really like the looks of the Huawei, but dislike that it's double the price of the other two, but it might be worth considering if it's that much better.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The moto 360 probably.

Also the Gear S2 doesn't run Wear, it runs Tizen, so while it is a beautiful watch with a very nice bezel mechanism, it is a device very much hamstringed by its OS.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BottleKnight posted:

The moto 360 probably.

Also the Gear S2 doesn't run Wear, it runs Tizen, so while it is a beautiful watch with a very nice bezel mechanism, it is a device very much hamstringed by its OS.

Oh I know, that's squarely in the cons category for the S2. Neither OS seems to have any groundbreaking features though. Seeing as how all I'm looking for is a pretty watch that shows notifications and they're both the same price I might as well consider it.

With Android Wear I'm wary that it seems over reliant on voice, but not as worried as I am by the fact that the S2 will most certainly be abandoned this fall.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Desk Lamp posted:

Oh I know, that's squarely in the cons category for the S2. Neither OS seems to have any groundbreaking features though. Seeing as how all I'm looking for is a pretty watch that shows notifications and they're both the same price I might as well consider it.

With Android Wear I'm wary that it seems over reliant on voice, but not as worried as I am by the fact that the S2 will most certainly be abandoned this fall.

Oh then you sound a lot like me when it comes to watch use then. I ended up with a Pebble Time Steel, which I love the look of even with the giant bezel and I only have to charge once a week. The text dictation is actually really good too, and it's a lot cheaper than most of the wear watches. So consider that I guess?

Google Now cards and the play store watchfaces seem like pretty good features though if you're considering the Urbane or Huawei.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I'll tell you now that I very very seldom use voice on my Moto 360/2 and it hasn't hamstrung my use of it at all. I find that everything I want to do is accessible via swipes and gestures.

Another thing I'd throw in is that I really didn't expect to think it would be worth the $400 I paid for it but you know, I don't regret it at all. I thought the flat tire would bother me but now in use I know that the lack of an ambient light sensor would piss me off a lot more. And I stand by the reason I picked the 360 over the Huawei which was that the screen is raised over the bezel and not recessed within it which just makes it look so much nicer than every other watch.

At this point I'd probably wait for a Snapdragon Wear device unless I needed one by the weekend but I have no complaints about my 360/2 at all.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I'll tell you now that I very very seldom use voice on my Moto 360/2 and it hasn't hamstrung my use of it at all. I find that everything I want to do is accessible via swipes and gestures.

Another thing I'd throw in is that I really didn't expect to think it would be worth the $400 I paid for it but you know, I don't regret it at all. I thought the flat tire would bother me but now in use I know that the lack of an ambient light sensor would piss me off a lot more. And I stand by the reason I picked the 360 over the Huawei which was that the screen is raised over the bezel and not recessed within it which just makes it look so much nicer than every other watch.

At this point I'd probably wait for a Snapdragon Wear device unless I needed one by the weekend but I have no complaints about my 360/2 at all.

I really like the look of the steel 360/2 but $400 is squarely in the realm where I might feel buyer's remorse if this year's offerings render existing watches obsolete. $200 for the Urbane though, seems too good to pass up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I really like the look of the steel 360/2 but $400 is squarely in the realm where I might feel buyer's remorse if this year's offerings render existing watches obsolete. $200 for the Urbane though, seems too good to pass up.

Then my advice would be to either wait, if $200 matters to you, or just pick the cheapest thing out there you can find if you want to dip your toe in to see if you'd like it.

The main reason is because this year's offerings will most definitely be better with the Snapdragon Wear and speaker support and I think what you'll find is that you'll like it a lot more than you thought you would and you'll wish you had something nice and the Urbane looks really chintzy (to me) in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

If it helps any I don't feel any sort of upgrade envy when looking at current gen wear devices even though I'm using a 360/1.

I mean, yeah they're smoother and have better screens but it's not like I spend more than a few minutes a day actually interacting with the thing.