Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I thought the Dagger room puzzle in UC2 was cool, as was the perspective shadow-puppet puzzle from UC3.

They're just diversions though.

I was actually going to say the dagger room was the one exception and forgot but :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any opinion on Ironcast? Reviews seem pretty divided but I'm also always on the lookout for puzzle quest like games that aren't ravaged by F2P elements or at least F2P balancing issues (like Marvel puzzle quest ditched the f2p stuff but didn't adjust the balance) and that game looks right up my alley.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

spudsbuckley posted:

So, there's a sale on the EU PSN at the moment and most of the PS2 ports thus far are in it.

What's worth getting? I'm eyeballing Rogue Galaxy and a couple of the other JRPGS at the moment. Do they actually stand the whole test of time thing and are they playable today?

Rogue Galaxy was bad at release. It stands the test of time in the sense that it is still bad. It is ridiculously grindy if you want to get even remotely into weapon crafting and the story was pretty blah. But the biggest sin of all is that your base movement speed is painfully slow in comparison to how pointlessly padded out areas are.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Thanks for all the opinions on Rogue Galaxy guys.

Reckon i'll steer clear. Any of the other PS2 ports worth picking up?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RDR had some really bad writing and structure, and is probably the worst offender as Rockstar's "no, you'll do this mission how we think you should do it" paradigm goes. There was this one side mission that starts with a guy about to kill his wife. If you shoot him on the spot you instantly fail because YOU KILLED HER HUSBAND; what you're supposed to do is pay him 200 bucks to leave her alone and then later it turns out he killed her eventually so you have a duel with him. I mean, I just think everyone, particularly the wife, woulda been a lot better off if we'd went with my idea. You shoot people on sight all the time for a lot lesser offenses such as Talking Smack At You or Standing Behind A Coach.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, RDR would have been much better with a Witcher style multiple approach to missions. But then pretty much any open world game would be.

I still want a new Bully more. Or even just an update with better graphics. Or the PS2 version on PS4.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The thing about RDR that really stuck with me is the moon phases, of all things. The moon switches phases like crazy. I often saw multiple different phases in one night.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, you get stuck out there, there's only cacti to eat, and, well, sometimes they come with a bonus. :shroom:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Thanks for all the opinions on Rogue Galaxy guys.

Reckon i'll steer clear. Any of the other PS2 ports worth picking up?

Regardless of the games' innate quality be aware that EU PS2->PS4 conversion are made with PAL games as bases, so no natural 30->60 fps for you - at least, that's what I read, so I bought them on the NA store.

Also Rebel Galaxy's Red Devils' popularity would be far easier to maintain if those idiots wouldn't attack all the time and I can't defend myself because they get mad - gently caress off with your one nice ship, it's not worth the hassle and I've ling since outgrown the need for the cheap Hellion. Still, it's a nice feeling to get in the second sector with my top-of-the-line first sector's ships - it's like I'm entering LMC with SMC ships all over again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQ2VYc4wZw

This will be an Atelier Sophie trailer in about an hour.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

RDR had some really bad writing and structure, and is probably the worst offender as Rockstar's "no, you'll do this mission how we think you should do it" paradigm goes. There was this one side mission that starts with a guy about to kill his wife. If you shoot him on the spot you instantly fail because YOU KILLED HER HUSBAND; what you're supposed to do is pay him 200 bucks to leave her alone and then later it turns out he killed her eventually so you have a duel with him. I mean, I just think everyone, particularly the wife, woulda been a lot better off if we'd went with my idea. You shoot people on sight all the time for a lot lesser offenses such as Talking Smack At You or Standing Behind A Coach.

The writing in RDR is pretty great though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dialogue's fine I guess, but the plot could have used some trimming. And less train missions. God the mission designers loved that train. They made a mission out of every possible permutation of you/protect/train/horse, short of riding the horse on the train, and every single one dumps you in the rear end-end of nowhere.

At least it's not like in GTA IV where you can lose the train. I think I know where it's going, you guys, I could wait there.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Sophie June 10th 2016 PS4/Vita

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dehry posted:

Atelier Sophie June 10th 2016 PS4/Vita

Didn't expect the Vita version but cool

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Let's wait a year for a Plus version now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The FULL PSVR bundle is announced.

$500 and contains:

PS VR headset
PS VR cables Stereo
Headphones
PlayStation VR Demo Disc
PlayStation Camera
2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11260808/playstation-vr-bundle-preorders

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

GB put up a quicklook/unfinished on the psvr game golem and the combat looks so incredibly bad gently caress motion controls forever.

starts at 15:30. everything before that is lame glacial walking sim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqToSHG2zXA&t=927s

homeless snail posted:

Lol at when the sword gets stuck in his armpit and they dismiss Brad freaking out about his arm not working anymore. Those are Bad Motion Controls.

Swordfighting is a really bad fit for VR right now. Its extremely challenging in a lot of ways, especially since we don't even have a good solution for how to give force-feedback, and that creates a million other bigger issues.

Neil Stephenson spent millions of dollars working on CLANG to be a proper swordfighting game... and gave up. Because its too drat hard. The technology just isn't there.

VR can do guns REALLY well, you have this thing in your hand, you press a button, it kicks, and it throws a bullet out that you see in VR. Guns work GREAT.

Swords are the opposite. You swing your hand, it hits something but your arm passes right through it, do you have to tell yourself to stop swinging or does the game let you keep swinging through people's bodies or what? It just really doesn't work.

The only way I would even try to do swords in VR right now is if you were like a jedi with a lightsaber that just passed right through everything, and it was a youngling murder simulator or something where you just slaughter people who don't fight back :v: (oh god)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Literally The Worst posted:

The writing in RDR is pretty great though

I can't make any criticisms of the writing of RDR because it is all Western as gently caress. It's a game that really devotes itself to its theme.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

BonoMan posted:

The FULL PSVR bundle is announced.

$500 and contains:

PS VR headset
PS VR cables Stereo
Headphones
PlayStation VR Demo Disc
PlayStation Camera
2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11260808/playstation-vr-bundle-preorders

Interesting they said that the core $399 bundle will not be available for preorder.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
RDR has its moments but it also has some of the biggest disparity between narrative and gameplay I've seen and has a pretty severe case of "but thou must". People complain about Mexico and it's not just that the area is blander and that part of the game drags out, it's that part of the game where Marsten just starts seeming like an all talk no action chump that folds after a single empty threat because if he wasn't the story would be way shorter. This would be fine if that was how they were trying portray him but it's not and it creates a really awkward disparity.

Still not a bad game, just flawed. It nails the opening and ending, it's just getting from one to the other brings the whole thing down.

Out is off they're apparently calling the sequel Redemption 2 rather than just picking by a third "R" word. It makes that weird thing where the third one I. The series looks like the second

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

glassyalabolas posted:

Interesting they said that the core $399 bundle will not be available for preorder.

Right now here today no. It will be available at a later date

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Red Dead Reasonability

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Red Dead Revengeance.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there an ETA on when the PS4 update with the ability to steam games to play on PC is coming?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not at home so I can't check, but does anyone know if there's a way to have PS Vue bill your credit card directly rather than pull funds from your wallet balance?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

axleblaze posted:

Anyone have any opinion on Ironcast? Reviews seem pretty divided but I'm also always on the lookout for puzzle quest like games that aren't ravaged by F2P elements or at least F2P balancing issues (like Marvel puzzle quest ditched the f2p stuff but didn't adjust the balance) and that game looks right up my alley.

I played it a bit on PC and enjoyed it for a while and liked the mechanics. But it doesn't have that much depth and got pretty repetitve and grindy and is a little too slow paced at times. Elements of You Must Build A Boat (and others) in terms of tactical use of powerups, except it's a draw a connecting line rather than match 3 (or more). I'd probably enjoy it more as a mobile game. Challenging though. Maybe worth a look if this kind of game is your jam.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

Is there an ETA on when the PS4 update with the ability to steam games to play on PC is coming?
I was really confused until I realized you weren't trying to say the PSN and Steam would start inter-operating or something.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was really confused until I realized you weren't trying to say the PSN and Steam would start inter-operating or something.

The future won't be here until I can go and play streaming PS4 games on my PC, because my kid is using the gaming TV to stream games from Steam on my PC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gravy Jones posted:

The future won't be here until I can go and play streaming PS4 games on my PC, because my kid is using the gaming TV to stream games from Steam on my PC.
I want to stream games from my PS4 to my PC while simultaneously streaming games from my PC to my PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a feature of the new update but not in the update beta yet so id figure its a few months away minimum

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if vr will get pushed hard enough that there are good sales around Xmas.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
1 year PS+ card for $39.99 on Ebay

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Sony no, stop it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Expansion Pak hype!!! :downs:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It's like it's 1997 all over again with all these console makers

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

This is a terrible idea that will completely split the user-base. The whole point of consoles is that it is a fixed hardware spec. for the duration of it's lifetime. Plus with the upgrades they would need to make it capable of what that article implies, it might as well be an entirely new PS5 console.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

unless it's an upgrade that suddenly makes my 30fps games run at 60 then I don't loving care

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ugh, gently caress off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft made it OK to have upgradeable consoles again. Now that they got the negative PR, Sony and Nintendo are free to do it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Dehry posted:

Microsoft made it OK to have upgradeable consoles again. Now that they got the negative PR, Sony and Nintendo are free to do it as well.

That's nothing new for ninty

• Locked thread