Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Meh, I report valid and well-received-and-eventually-resolved issues all the time for things that I have no idea how to fix nor do I have the time to figure out how to write test cases for your special snowflake project, so on the one hand I say I hate that idea.

On the other hand issues are often quite bogus and a chore to handle so I can understand the sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Thermopyle posted:

Meh, I report valid and well-received-and-eventually-resolved issues all the time for things that I have no idea how to fix nor do I have the time to figure out how to write test cases for your special snowflake project, so on the one hand I say I hate that idea.

On the other hand issues are often quite bogus and a chore to handle so I can understand the sentiment.

Yeah I understand why they're doing it, but j can't help but see it just turning people off of the project by doing a hard and fast "no code? Don't care". I think it'd be better even if they just replied to every issue with "could you provide some code related to this issue?" instead so people go ahead and make an issue and are then partially invested in it instead of turning them away from the start.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It doesn't help that github issues suck as a tool.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn't help that github issues suck as a tool.

*cue a hundred thumbs up and +1 emojis "

"Please stop posting only +1 to this issue. "

*cue a hundred more thumbs up and +1 emojis"

I think they actually brought in a +1 button to alleviate this but I'm 100% confident that people are just posting a reply with a thumbs up in it anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
There's no great way to "move on" from a project except to remove it from under your account, breaking the URL of everyone who cloned it at one point. So there's definitely a pressure to never move on that GitHub gives you from its account-based architecture being kinda garbo.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you create a new org and move the repo to it the old url under your account will redirect to the new one. Github's handling of moving repos is actually really good other than that they do a bad job of communicating that it's even an option.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

If you create a new org and move the repo to it the old url under your account will redirect to the new one. Github's handling of moving repos is actually really good other than that they do a bad job of communicating that it's even an option.

I, for example, had no idea that you could do this :psyduck:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

piratepilates posted:

Because you can do it better, duh!

I mean, how hard could it be, it's just taking some data and doing something with it, right??

It's even easier than that; all Kafka does is take some data and spit out the same stuff out at the other end! Just replace it with some shell scripting and a couple of unix pipes. It's an afternoon job, maybe a day top if you count the time to migrate production systems.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Came across this discussion on Twitter about removing issues from github and forcing everything to be a PR instead: https://gist.github.com/ryanflorence/8a62abea562ca2896dee

I mean it's an interesting idea and I see why they would like to do it, but it feels like boasting that the amount of negative feedback about your project had gone down after you removed the feedback form from your site.

Another approach might be to require everybody to pass a short IQ test before being allowed to download your software.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

Oh, huh! That's actually pretty good, then.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, huh! That's actually pretty good, then.

Plain ownership transfer works too.

https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/ghc-mod
redirects to
https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Came across this discussion on Twitter about removing issues from github and forcing everything to be a PR instead: https://gist.github.com/ryanflorence/8a62abea562ca2896dee

I mean it's an interesting idea and I see why they would like to do it, but it feels like boasting that the amount of negative feedback about your project had gone down after you removed the feedback form from your site.

Also found a twitter conversation about it:

https://twitter.com/kentcdodds/status/710521313161453568

I quite like this @RReverser fellow just coming in and being like "this is a stupid idea why are you considering this"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

piratepilates posted:

I think they actually brought in a +1 button to alleviate this but I'm 100% confident that people are just posting a reply with a thumbs up in it anyway.

doesn't that automatically get turned into a +1 button press

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
You could also just ignore issues and pull requests entirely. That would be even less work. Heck, why not close the source?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Surely an issue/feature request/bug and a pull request are two different kinds of thing. An issue is the record that "something's not right or somebody wants it changed". A pull request represents an attempt at fixing that thing. An issue might prompt several changes, that might work together or might be different people's solutions to the same problem; that's a one-to-many relationship. If you have two pull requests seeking to address the same issue, what mechanism do you have for expressing the fact that the two pull requests are related?

That post on GitHub complains that project contributors don't like dealing with issues that turn out to be bullshit. But pull requests can be bullshit too.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Hammerite posted:

Surely an issue/feature request/bug and a pull request are two different kinds of thing. An issue is the record that "something's not right or somebody wants it changed". A pull request represents an attempt at fixing that thing. An issue might prompt several changes, that might work together or might be different people's solutions to the same problem; that's a one-to-many relationship. If you have two pull requests seeking to address the same issue, what mechanism do you have for expressing the fact that the two pull requests are related?

That post on GitHub complains that project contributors don't like dealing with issues that turn out to be bullshit. But pull requests can be bullshit too.

An issue also helps if you would like to get additional feedback whether something is broken or not working as intended for multiple people, since others can chime in (much like something like Bugzilla). I also like them as "wishlists" for features etc., but then I'm not the one mainting them, so maybe that person would prefer pull requests after all.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Hammerite posted:

IME a larger proportion of pull requests are bullshit than issues.

Especially when you disable issues so people start opening PRs merging random branches just to report an issue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

And they're harder to turn down without looking like a jerk, too, since someone went to the effort to code a "fix" -- even if they're an incompetent programmer or their fix is undesirable for other reasons.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Hammerite posted:

They can be even more bullshit because most contributors assume if it's coded it must be valid, after all they already did all the hard work!!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Disabling issues is elitism under the misguided assumption that users won't just figure out how to open bullshit pull requests too.

It's also counter productive as, today, maintainers can ignore issues which users will sort between themselves and concentrate on pull requests which have a much better signal-to-noise ratio. If you close issues, the SNR on pull requests will get much worse. The eventual conclusion is secret private repos shared among a cabal, basically returning to the 90s open-source contribution models.

Also, honestly, the smug elitism is blatantly transparent. Have any of them written real code or is it all JavaScript? Looks like just JavaScript.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If a project is just too much of a burden on the maintainer's sanity or their family, why can't they just pass the repo to someone else? :confused:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 18, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also, honestly, the smug elitism is blatantly transparent. Have any of them written real code or is it all JavaScript? Looks like just JavaScript.

:confused:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So you're decrying elitism with further elitism? idgi.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Easy solution. First project that does submit a pr:
Added file issues/1
Copy paste from github issue

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I only accept issues or pull requests via carrier pigeon. This keeps the signal-to-noise ratio high and also blocks all of those poors and other lesser beings that do not have their own aviary. :smugbert:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
This is hilarious: https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/9772

Guy makes a language proposal that would constitute a breaking change with minimal benefit, doesn't understand what "breaking change" means, and stubbornly defends his proposal. It's great.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Basically that post on GitHub is a reaction to the apparently unforeseeable issue that if you make software with no barriers to who can use it, then guess what, everybody will use it. Everybody will run into problems with it, everybody will hit bugs or want features to support their use cases. The easier to use the software is, the more useful it is, the more people will come back with issues. But there's a distinction between a user and a contributor. 99% of people using any particular piece of software don't give a monkey's how it works, they just want it to work. They don't care how the code is arranged, what coding styles or test frameworks are in place, what programming language it was even written in, or about the grand architecture of the internals. Nor should they! The whole point of modular, reusable software is to encapsulate those concerns so we don't need to care about internals to get stuff done. The whole point is to hide that complexity from users. This way tools and libraries can be composed without worry, whereas responsibility for those internals can be contained to a dedicated team who have chosen to care.

Insert the car analogy here.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hughlander posted:

Easy solution. First project that does submit a pr:
Added file issues/1
Copy paste from github issue

Joey Hess, the author of git-annex and propellor, has a doc/bugs folder in all of his projects. Each bug gets its own documentation file, updated with new information as needed, until they're marked "fixed," sometimes in the same commit which actually fixes them. I found the system a bit compelling: at the very least, accepting bug reports via pull request would emphasize that they are contributions, even without code.

E: oh, none of his projects are on github though, I think he rolled his own project-site-thing

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 18, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Guy makes a language proposal that would constitute a breaking change with minimal benefit, doesn't understand what "breaking change" means, and stubbornly defends his proposal. It's great.

Jesus Christ.

I'm starting to think there should be a universal word filter for "beautiful code" the same way that chrome extension worked for "the cloud". It's on the same level of "I prefer composition over inheritance" where the meaning has been diluted to the point where it never adds anything.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Joey Hess, the author of git-annex and propellor, has a doc/bugs folder in all of his projects. Each bug gets its own documentation file, updated with new information as needed, until they're marked "fixed," sometimes in the same commit which actually fixes them. I found the system a bit compelling: at the very least, accepting bug reports via pull request would emphasize that they are contributions, even without code.

E: oh, none of his projects are on github though, I think he rolled his own project-site-thing

I do fundamentally like the idea of bug tracking being intimately tied to the source repo, and I really wish there were good tools for it. Fossil does it well, but it IMO isn't a very good at the whole source code management side of things.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

qntm posted:

But there's a distinction between a user and a contributor. 99% of people using any particular piece of software don't give a monkey's how it works, they just want it to work. They don't care how the code is arranged, what coding styles or test frameworks are in place, what programming language it was even written in, or about the grand architecture of the internals. Nor should they!

A particularly bad kind of bug reports coming from other 1% is those that think they know how it works, and therefore will have detailed instructions on how to "fix" the bug included.... Though that often leans more into comedic than irritating.

But really, the only public bug trackers that don't have at least some trainwrecks of bug reports are those of wildly unpopular software.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

OddObserver posted:

A particularly bad kind of bug reports coming from other 1% is those that think they know how it works, and therefore will have detailed instructions on how to "fix" the bug included.... Though that often leans more into comedic than irritating.

These are called "smug reports".

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Ithaqua posted:

The best part is all the dummy @vars that end up pinging actual GitHub users:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plorkyeran posted:

I do fundamentally like the idea of bug tracking being intimately tied to the source repo, and I really wish there were good tools for it. Fossil does it well, but it IMO isn't a very good at the whole source code management side of things.

I love fossil. It only occasionally destroys all history of my projects including the working copy.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ithaqua posted:

This is so much like the last roslyn ticket that hit this thread. "Here's my pet feature. I don't care about this 'breaking' nonsense, let's all just be positive folks!!"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

I just don't see the point of the argument. Would you say not having to add a semicolon at the end of every statement in C# 7 is a breaking change? Can it be done? I think is achievable. I already proposed that too. It will be great if we can have that, right?

These are just ideas, proposals, wish list for C# 7. I think they are good proposals, I just don't understand why someone come at it like I am proposing something crazy or not possible.

I used the word "fighting" because I don't see the point of trying to shutdown a proposal from anyone. For example: if you proposed something I will not go and tell you you are adding no value, that is not a new idea and none sense like that. It is just your idea, your proposal. New or not, good or bad, if the team will take it or not, if it will be a breaking change or not? It is pointless.

If you want can you check if I had commented on someone else's ideas, trying to undermine it? or saying that it brings zero value? No, you will not find that anywhere. That is exactly my point.

Instead of fighting back, take the idea and see if there is something there, if it is doable, if it is in fact a good idea. It is just a proposal, there is no need for the back and forth, why?

What a strange worldview this person must have, to see people patiently explaining why their idea is a bad idea and isn't going to be adopted and think "these people are going out of their way to confound and frustrate me"

They are literally saying in there that the critical evaluation of ideas is pointless. That it's no-one's place to make judgements as to the merits of a suggestion

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Those are the most dangerous coworkers, by the way.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hammerite posted:

What a strange worldview this person must have, to see people patiently explaining why their idea is a bad idea and isn't going to be adopted and think "these people are going out of their way to confound and frustrate me"

They are literally saying in there that the critical evaluation of ideas is pointless. That it's no-one's place to make judgements as to the merits of a suggestion

All of that over having to use an '@' symbol in front of a string, as if that is destroying the 'beauty' of the code.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hammerite posted:

My theory is that nobody's ever told this person "no" before, so they literally don't understand what they're hearing. Used to being babied and spoilt. An outright refusal just doesn't even register, a push back must just mean you aren't paying enough attention. You don't understand. I'm asking you to do something. Think about this and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

piratepilates posted:

All of that over having to use an '@' symbol in front of a string, as if that is destroying the 'beauty' of the code.

What's that quote about how the majority of any discussion of language features focuses on syntax instead of semantics?