Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Might be worth considering this build of Chrome OS - http://www.neverware.com/

I might try that, as soon as I buy a 16GB flash drive, since all I've got is a 1GB and two 4GBs.

E: Anybody else ever experience screen glitching whenever the whole screen is being captured for broadcast, such as screen sharing? Whenever I'm screencasting, either with Skype or Join.me, random blitting issues occur, where rectangle updates to the screen will have random dark gradients to them, or randomly be slightly transparent to things underneath them, and it isn't visible in the capture. I think it may also have something to do with the fact that I've got two displays connected to my system, and I don't know if it is using the integrated GPU somehow, or if it even has the hardware to utilize that, as I know that's kind of glitchy, especially with multiple monitors.

E: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBiVu1yLLHo

kode54 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When I spin my cursor really fast in a circle with my trackpad, it suddenly becomes huge?
Whaaaaat.

e: Ohhh, I guess if you can't find your cursor you just spin it around and it becomes huge so you can see it again.
That's...actually kinda smart.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

When I spin my cursor really fast in a circle with my trackpad, it suddenly becomes huge?
Whaaaaat.

e: Ohhh, I guess if you can't find your cursor you just spin it around and it becomes huge so you can see it again.

RIP 30 seconds of my life

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

This is a blessing on multi monitor setups

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Skim Milk posted:

RIP 30 seconds of my life

I'm not lying tho.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm not lying tho.

It's a setting in the Accessibility section of System Preferences.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm not lying tho.

I imagine he's talking about immediately going and wriggling his cursor for 30 secs. I know I just did, even though I already knew about it.

It's a new feature that's on by default in El Cap (at least I never saw it before El Cap). As mentioned, it's enormously handy for multi-monitor setups and also for screens where that are scaled such that the cursor isn't very large.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

I imagine he's talking about immediately going and wriggling his cursor for 30 secs. I know I just did, even though I already knew about it.

You can read it both ways.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I posted this a few pages ago but I was super stoned one time and did this on accident before I knew it was a thing and freaked right the gently caress out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have an account on an AFP server. I'd like to use it as a kind of dropbox folder, so I can have a local folder that gets synced with a remote AFP folder, and also have a folder on a different computer that also syncs with the remote. Create/update/delete files automatically on the remote as I change them in either local folder. Preferably with some revision management, but that's not a dealbreaker. I don't mind getting my hands dirty with OSS or whatever, I just want minimum maintenance once it's up & running.

What's the best option for that?

E: Turns out BitTorrent Sync is pretty good.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 17, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

flosofl posted:

You forgot the big dumb grin on my face. Look at that big goofy cursor!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's the difference between usb oversdrive and steermouse? They seem like they accomplish the same thing.

The logitech mouse drivers have been driving me up the wall so I'm looking into alternatives. I need my back/forward buttons :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can I create a whitelist in Safari for sites to play videos automatically? Basically I want Youtube, Netflix, etc. (sites that are for watching videos) to function as normal but stop sites like CNN, SI, Detroit Free Press, etc from having their videos play unless I tell them to. I never watch them and much of the time I'm halfway done with an article and the video starts blaring out of nowhere.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

GobiasIndustries posted:

Can I create a whitelist in Safari for sites to play videos automatically? Basically I want Youtube, Netflix, etc. (sites that are for watching videos) to function as normal but stop sites like CNN, SI, Detroit Free Press, etc from having their videos play unless I tell them to. I never watch them and much of the time I'm halfway done with an article and the video starts blaring out of nowhere.

With an extension, yes:
https://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/#features

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I swear keychain access is forgetting some of my logins and passwords, does this happen?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Do you use iCloud keychain? Maybe it's a syncing fuckup?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MrBond posted:

What's the difference between usb oversdrive and steermouse? They seem like they accomplish the same thing.

The logitech mouse drivers have been driving me up the wall so I'm looking into alternatives. I need my back/forward buttons :(

What is wrong with the Logitech drivers? I used the other one's before but the lack of forward and back made me switch to the Logitech drivers.

I use a Trackball though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been using Logitech drivers for a decade and never had a problem. Using it right now with the m510.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Choadmaster posted:

Do you use iCloud keychain? Maybe it's a syncing fuckup?

good question, not sure. It's all on my macbook, it seemed fine and then randomly it seems certain websites forget their login and passwords ? I am running betas of El Capitain, could that be it?

I will look into the iCloud thing, I think I am using it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

If you open up Keychain Access are the entries actually missing from your keychain, or is Safari just failing to autofill?

(FYI, I've never experienced this myself so I'm just throwing out ideas that might narrow down the culprit.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

If you open up Keychain Access are the entries actually missing from your keychain, or is Safari just failing to autofill?

(FYI, I've never experienced this myself so I'm just throwing out ideas that might narrow down the culprit.)
I've noticed the latter occasionally, like I have to go to the password field then click the key icon that shows up rather than it being already filled in like you'd expect.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Guys I'm doing a clean install of El Cap on my girlfriends Macbook and I've created a bootable usb key to do this. She currently has Yosemite installed and I've just used an external HDD to do a time machine back up.

Will I be able to restore from a time machine backup made on Yosemite? Will it prompt me to restore automatically or will I have to do something else?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

What is wrong with the Logitech drivers? I used the other one's before but the lack of forward and back made me switch to the Logitech drivers.

I use a Trackball though.

There's something weird on my machine where the logitech daemon hangs periodically, which basically makes mouse clicks impossible for about a minute. It's basically random and unpredictable and incredibly frustrating.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Here at 3:30 am after 7+ hours of trying to get any goddamned version of Windows running on my friend's "new"(ly sold by Apple) 2012 MBP, I have to say:

Boot Camp needs to eat a bag of dicks. Every Apple engineer who ever worked on said project should have their penises removed by blunt force and fed to a robotically-corporealized, AI-enhanced, emotion-capable version of the Boot Camp Assistant while its robo-children watch in horror.

Edit: ... So, has anyone ever managed to successfully install Windows on such a machine in recent times? I've come to the conclusion it will require a DVD copy of Windows 10 (turns out W7 no longer works with boot camp, so that disc was a bust, and while BCA is happy to make me a usb installer of W10 it'll only half-work in all the most frustrating ways imaginable). I'm giving up until such time as I find a burnable dvd lying around somewhere...

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 18, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Win7 not still work on 2012MBP? I installed it on my MBP13" no problem a few months ago (before ElCap)

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I got 10 to install on a 2014 15" MBP. I had to buy a brand new high quality brand name USB drive. Until I did that OSX would not reliably write to the stick I was using and I would get installation hangs at the I compressing file stages.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Riven posted:

I got 10 to install on a 2014 15" MBP. I had to buy a brand new high quality brand name USB drive. Until I did that OSX would not reliably write to the stick I was using and I would get installation hangs at the I compressing file stages.

You can use an ISO from your OSX drive :confused:

Besides the fact that Windows 10 is bad I got it working with no hiccups. I'd definitely recommend Trackpad++ for good trackpad gestures/settings once you're up and running

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 18, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I installed Windows 10 via a thumb drive on a BootCamp partition on a 2013 MBP. I was doing a clean install as I upgraded to a 256gb SSD.

I deleted my partition a month later because I liked the extra 60gb more than Windows 10. But it did work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KingEup posted:

Guys I'm doing a clean install of El Cap on my girlfriends Macbook and I've created a bootable usb key to do this. She currently has Yosemite installed and I've just used an external HDD to do a time machine back up.

Will I be able to restore from a time machine backup made on Yosemite? Will it prompt me to restore automatically or will I have to do something else?

You'll want to use Migration Assistant pointed at the Time Machine volume if you're doing a clean install. You could also just do the upgrade, it's pretty reliable nowadays and with the TM backup you have insurance in case it isn't.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I like my mac.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Win7 not still work on 2012MBP? I installed it on my MBP13" no problem a few months ago (before ElCap)

Apparently not... There's a signing problem with one of the Boot Camp drivers (appleSSD.sys) since about August that renders Windows 7 unable to boot. I tried disabling Windows' signed software checks, which some had success with, but had no luck with that. Apparently Apple claims this is a "Windows problem" that they won't support, despite the fact that their driver is clearly not signed properly. Some people had success using Paragon NTFS and deleting that file from the Windows partition (but other had it break the system), but I'm not about to install an OS that the native drivers no longer support right. God forbid there's another driver update that kills Windows boot again in the middle of an important work week or whatever.

After research and troubleshooting for that I was at about the 2 hour mark and decided gently caress it, I'll just install Windows 10. Apple's website explicitly lists it as supported for the 2012 13" MBP and I'd heard Apple doesn't tend to support older Windows well with Boot Camp anyway (and that seemed clearly true).

I'm going to spare everyone most of the story of the next few hours, but suffice it to say after a couple more hours, hitting more bugs and doing some workarounds, it *looked* like we'd successfully installed Windows 10. Then came an hour of setting the computer up, installing all the software, and then discovering the sound drivers don't work. After an hour of reinstalling Boot Camp drivers (no luck), then sourcing drivers from all over (no luck) and more hours of research trying to figure out WTF, it turns out the 2012 MBP doesn't fully support UEFI boot (it will "work" but audio hardware will never be visible to the system). Boot Camp Assistant deliberately and happily set us up with a USB stick - which seems to require UEFI boot and will thusly install Windows in that mode - and now we're simply hosed and have to nuke the entire partition and reinstall from a DVD so we can have it boot in legacy (BIOS) mode. Gaaaaah.

In really hoping that, while I try to find a burnable DVD somewhere to put this ISO on, someone can confirm to me that installing Windows 10 on a 2012 MBP running El Cap using a Windows 10 DVD is actually possible before I go ahead and try it. I've been though too drat many dead ends.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 18, 2016

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Roargasm posted:

You can use an ISO from your OSX drive :confused:

Besides the fact that Windows 10 is bad I got it working with no hiccups. I'd definitely recommend Trackpad++ for good trackpad gestures/settings once you're up and running

Eh, I picked up a 64gb one from Amazon for like 10 bucks on a Gold Box deal. Now I have a huge thumb drive when I need one.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

carry on then posted:

You'll want to use Migration Assistant pointed at the Time Machine volume if you're doing a clean install. You could also just do the upgrade, it's pretty reliable nowadays and with the TM backup you have insurance in case it isn't.

Thanks for this migration assistant worked flawlessly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm back with more dumb questions:

I just switched to Safari from Friefox because it's super slow on my i5 MBP for some reason (slower than on my C2D windows PC), I'm liking the speed boost but have some interface questions:

- How do I enable middle click to drag scroll?

- How to make it remember zoom levels by page?

- I'm getting some advertising pop-ups, pop-unders, new tabs, etc that remind me of internet explorer in 2003, with ABP installed. What's the preferred blocker for safari since ABP safari seems kinda halfassed (I have popups etc turned off in prefs)

- Probably a longshot but is there some hack to make the favorites toolbar not center everything and left justify?

EDIT: just noticed a new one, how to make select>right click>search with google open in a new tab instead of the one you're working in? this one baffles me

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 19, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Solution: switch back to Firefox and figure out why it was messed up. Safari is poo poo.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think my MBP is just too old for FF already, it's from 2010. I wasn't running some turbonerd tricked out firefox with a million extensions, don't even think I had flash installed. Just ABP and a thing to upload to imgur from a right click menu. FF just got choppy as hell when I had more than like five tabs open and it was awful. I really really love FF because it does everything I want from a browser but the mac code just seems so awful, and it always has as far as I can remember.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Solution: switch back to Firefox and figure out why it was messed up. Safari is poo poo.

This is the opposite of true. Safari since Yosemite is super stable and fast.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ublock for safari is good.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

EDIT: just noticed a new one, how to make select>right click>search with google open in a new tab instead of the one you're working in? this one baffles me

Hold command while you click, just like when you open a link in a new tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is the opposite of true. Safari since Yosemite is super stable and fast.

I've not used anything but Safari primarily since I bought an iPhone 3G. No real complaints here either.

I like having a setup without Flash installed for my primary, then Chrome installed that uses an internal version whenever I really need it.