Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

RideTheSpiral posted:

revisionism is what history is. im sorry that you believe there is one unassailable absolute history that is written down in a book somewhere

except, you know, the part of history we know about because it was written down in a book somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
im being trolled as gently caress in this thread

goddamn

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

except, you know, the part of history we know about because it was written down in a book somewhere
No, we revised that, it's much better now

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

ive been got

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
dan frequently points out differences in what historians used to believe vs what they believe now thouhg

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RideTheSpiral posted:

no he actively rejects what he called revisionist history. that is called history.

no one cares about historiography, thats way to inside baseball for the average person. people just want a story about stuff that happened in the past, thats history to most people.

i listened to one of this guys podcasts, and hes pretty entertaining. its basically the musing of a guy whos really interested in history. he's not making things up, or claiming to be an expert. i enjoy his enthusiasm for historical mysteries. i'm sorry RideTheSpiral, your being a wet blanket

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i listened to the ww1 one awhile back and it owned.

ageen ageen ageen

boxing metaphor

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

the best part was when he talked about mongols and spent 45 moralising about the Mongols being 'bad dudes' before launching into the history he read on wikipedia and denouncing all modern historiography

quote:

I am a historian and have lived in central asia for the past 5 years

is this u

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bardeh posted:

is this u

that person appears to be in tibet

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm sure historians out of Central Asia set the gold standard for not white-washing the Mongols :jerkbag:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

The Kingfish posted:

I'm sure historians out of Central Asia set the gold standard for not white-washing the Mongols :jerkbag:

im not sure what you mean by whitewashing. it happened 800 years ago. who gives a poo poo you nerd

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

The mongols killed a lot of people and tortured some folks. They were some pretty rude dudes

uhh actually they weren't rude at all? and while they may have killed a lot of dudes, the rivers didn't LITERALLY run red with the blood of innocents. and the mountain of skulls thing? it was a hill at most :rolleyes:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be fair, a majority of what people today would call a Mongol probably spent most of their time herding animals on the steppes

but boy howdy did they rape and pillage a lot, too

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Man Whore posted:

The mongols killed a lot of people and tortured some folks. They were some pretty rude dudes

uhh actually they weren't rude at all? and while they may have killed a lot of dudes, the rivers didn't LITERALLY run red with the blood of innocents. and the mountain of skulls thing? it was a hill at most :rolleyes:

yeah they were badasses. you seem pretty butthurt about some peasants being killed

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't think anyone particularly cares that some enhanced barbarians killed some other enhanced barbarians

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

I don't think anyone particularly cares that some enhanced barbarians killed some other enhanced barbarians

except your spiritual guide dan carlin who spent 40 mins of his pussy rear end podcast talking about how immoral they were lmao

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

RideTheSpiral posted:

that person appears to be in tibet

Yeah you see RideTheSpiral is in the part of central asia that tibet isn't in. He was in central asia before it was cool, man

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

You obviously didnt read. RideTheSpiral is a ~historian~ and lives in ~central asia~. His credibility on the topic is unassailable.

Like Central Asia has any good history. "Oh look at us, we love Mohammad and his child bride, let's conquer the whole loving poo poo desert. And hey, our whole matriarchal society can just go hang, dicks rule, snatches drool. OH gently caress its Ghengis Khan on god he's loving us, he's loving us up the rear end, oh god my bleeding rear end oh god and his horses too"

Meanwhile in India they discovered enlightenment and then just shat in a river for a thousand years, proving that Nirvana was always a false promise.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

they were p cool but they were definitely the bad guy

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

RideTheSpiral posted:

yeah they were badasses. you seem pretty butthurt about some peasants being killed

wait until the transgender community hears about this.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

RideTheSpiral posted:

except your spiritual guide dan carlin who spent 40 mins of his pussy rear end podcast talking about how immoral they were lmao

in a thread full of history dorks you set the new standard for awkward

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Like Central Asia has any good history. "Oh look at us, we love Mohammad and his child bride, let's conquer the whole loving poo poo desert. And hey, our whole matriarchal society can just go hang, dicks rule, snatches drool. OH gently caress its Ghengis Khan on god he's loving us, he's loving us up the rear end, oh god my bleeding rear end oh god and his horses too"

Meanwhile in India they discovered enlightenment and then just shat in a river for a thousand years, proving that Nirvana was always a false promise.

paging RideTheSpiral, do you think you could provide us a scholarly analysis of this before I suggest to 8bit that he make his own podcast?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

RideTheSpiral posted:

burning a village to set an example so you don't have to burn 10 others is still immoral

in contemporary parlance the Mongols in Central Asia behaved like the US did in Vietnam

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

Ghengis Khan is probably literally your daddy.

Due to all the raping.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

like you can talk about how cool the vikings are too but it doesn't change the fact that they burn down churches for slaves and also boredom.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gobbagool posted:

Yeah you see RideTheSpiral is in the part of central asia that tibet isn't in. He was in central asia before it was cool, man

are you for real

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

whoflungpoop posted:

in a thread full of history dorks you set the new standard for awkward

there is only one history dork in this thread. its me

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

burning a village to set an example so you don't have to burn 10 others is still immoral

in contemporary parlance the Mongols in Central Asia behaved like the US did in Vietnam

ethics is a different discipline to history. that are not related in any way

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

RideTheSpiral posted:

there is only one dork in this thread. its me

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I just love that one part where a Muslim mission to china is interrupted by a swamp

a swamp made of body juices

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

RideTheSpiral posted:

im not sure what you mean by whitewashing. it happened 800 years ago. who gives a poo poo you nerd

You're the dickfour claiming some special authority on this because you're in ~central asia~

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Man Whore posted:

I just love that one part where a Muslim mission to china is interrupted by a swamp

sounds plausible

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

RideTheSpiral posted:

ethics is a different discipline to history. that are not related in any way

it's a good thing Carlin is doing a dumb internet podcast and not employed by a university, then

it allows him to talk about things without seeming like he has a massive social disorder

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gobbagool posted:

You're the dickfour claiming some special authority on this because you're in ~central asia~

that does give me special authority

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

it's a good thing Carlin is doing a dumb internet podcast and not employed by a university, then

it allows him to talk about things without seeming like he has a massive social disorder

i mean youre obviously free to listen to whatever you want. but its strange to listen to a podcast by a self declared non expert

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

RideTheSpiral posted:

that does give me special authority

you're as white as the driven snow, aren't you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

History of the World in 100 Objects is a good podcast and I applaud whomever mentioned it.

Hardcore History has its moments, but his voice reminds me of Sean Hannity or something and that's not good.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

you're as white as the driven snow, aren't you

nah im quite swarthy

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

RideTheSpiral posted:

sounds plausible
Muslim scholars may have loved to exaggerate but it makes for a drat fine story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Man Whore posted:

RTS will now explain to you that a swamp is really defined by its biodiversity and a whole buncha other bullshit so that in fact dan carlin is wrong wrong wrong to use the word swamp and explain how he, the One True Arbiter of Historical Fact, should be thanked for enlightening us wrongthinkers

• Locked thread