Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Isn't it because Noam Chomsky said some vaguely positive things about Pol Pot before it became clear that he was transitioning Cambodia to a skull-based economy? Which is of course completely different from all the cautiously laudatory articles about Hitler in the mid-thirties because
Chomsky said some insanely pro-Khmer things, and has never unambiguously transitioned away from that.

Which is different from pro-Hitler stuff because most people have transitioned away from that.

Also, I doubt Chomsky's confusion here was required for the right to focus on arguably the only regime to maybe give Hitler a run for his money in the "worst thing ever" department, which also happens to be nominally communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cingulate posted:

While not doubting your general point, is it established that were their motives? I assume after the Vietnam war, the Vietnamese had all kinds of other problems at hand than being altruistic, and I could much rather imagine they were simply fighting back against Khmer provocation.

It's easy to reasonably doubt the Vietnamese motive in terms of altruism, but as Vietnam was at that point recovering from being part of 'French Indochina' they had a legitimate worry about the idea of the (previously French Indochina) Khmer intending to genocide ethnic Vietnamese in their desire for nationalist (pronounced: ethnic) supremacy.

At the same time, I think it's not unreasonable to see even the war-crime-committing Viet Minh baulking at the cruelty of the Khmer Rouge. Think of it much like the Allies in WW2 attacking the Axis on a treaty basis only to find that the Axis were doing much, MUCH worse than mere sovereignty disrespect.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Chomsky said some insanely pro-Khmer things, and has never unambiguously transitioned away from that.

Which is different from pro-Hitler stuff because most people have transitioned away from that.

Also, I doubt Chomsky's confusion here was required for the right to focus on arguably the only regime to maybe give Hitler a run for his money in the "worst thing ever" department, which also happens to be nominally communist.

Okay Sam, good point, now go play with your new bike.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tesseraction posted:

It's easy to reasonably doubt the Vietnamese motive in terms of altruism, but as Vietnam was at that point recovering from being part of 'French Indochina' they had a legitimate worry about the idea of the (previously French Indochina) Khmer intending to genocide ethnic Vietnamese in their desire for nationalist (pronounced: ethnic) supremacy.

At the same time, I think it's not unreasonable to see even the war-crime-committing Viet Minh baulking at the cruelty of the Khmer Rouge. Think of it much like the Allies in WW2 attacking the Axis on a treaty basis only to find that the Axis were doing much, MUCH worse than mere sovereignty disrespect.
My understanding was that the NVA may have been war-grizzled Communist hardliners, but what Pol Pot was doing was some Heart of Darkness poo poo, so they put a stop to it, much the same way that America would probably invade Canada if Stephen Harper had declared himself the One True Leader of the English Language and commenced to genociding Francophones.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People can bitch as much as they want about millennials who don't want to work, but it's a proven fact that people will work harder with a gun in their back for a bowl of rice a day.

They get things done.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

My understanding was
Well and have you tried to check if your understanding matches reality?
I'm really not particularly informed on this issue, but I think the historical facts suggest Vietnam acted mostly in self defense; the Khmer Rogue had launched an invasion of Vietnam in 1978, killing thousands of Vietnamese. I don't think you need to consider altruism as a motive for attacking the Khmer Rogue right after you've been invaded by the Khmer Rogue.
I don't say this from any sort of political agenda, particularly not in trying to discredit the evil commies or whatever. It just runs counter to my intuitions that after you've just suffered massacres and napalm bombings and mine campaigns and what have you by the mightiest military on the planet, a costly campaign in a different, non-threatening country that'a actually gonna gently caress up your standings with China is not high on the menu if the only reason is humanitarian concern.
Actually, it seems simply by not being in favor of the Khmer Rogue, the Vietnam leadership showed better judgement than basically the rest of the world, including the UN, who actually protested the Vietnamese efforts to get rid of the Khmer Rogue.

I wouldn't even fault Chomsky much for being fooled by Khmer propaganda back in 1975 - I just think that since then, he should have arrived at a less confused stance on the issue. But looking back, during these years, it must have been terribly hard to figure out who were the good guys - or at least, who were the unambiguously worst guys ever - to basically anyone.

I'm not sure there's a lesson to be learned for or about neoreactionaries from the Khmer Rogue. They're a terrifying thing that emerged from an extremely confusing situation. Sure, they had a nominally marxist ideology and they were supported by some delusional leftists in the west - although, really, what opinions do you expect people to form when usually, "the US bombed some poor people and now everything is worse than before and the locals trying to shoot back at the US invasion are probably not as wrong as they're made out to be" is a reasonably good prior? And on the other hand, the US were crucially important for the Khmer Rogue coming into power. It's not that US foreign policy was the primary, or sufficient, cause for the Killing Fields, but they were a necessary condition; without US intervention, the Khmer would not have happened. And being a necessary condition for the Killing Fields should give you pause, even if they were somehow marxist-aligned; it's still something you would rather want to gloss over. The only one I really see winning a point here are strict US non-interventionists.

Okay Sam, good point, now go play with your new bike.
For a second, I was slightly smug because I saw I am easily better at being condescending that this attempt to be smugly condescending without even attempting to. And then I realized that's not actually a good thing.

:(

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

While not doubting your general point, is it established that were their motives? I assume after the Vietnam war, the Vietnamese had all kinds of other problems at hand than being altruistic, and I could much rather imagine they were simply fighting back against Khmer provocation.

I too understood that the "genocidal tyrant" bit was considered a bit of a problem, but that the main reason was that Kampuchea kept prodding at Vietnam in various ways, and Vietnam finally got conclusively tired of their poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

I too understood that the "genocidal tyrant" bit was considered a bit of a problem, but that the main reason was that Kampuchea kept prodding at Vietnam in various ways, and Vietnam finally got conclusively tired of their poo poo.
How did you get baited into a Cingulate derail? Is tumblr down or something?

I think it's a bit more tasteful to not file any Khmer Rogue action under "kampuchea", considering nothing worse has happened to any nation post WW2 than Pol Pot here.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Khmer ROUGE, goddamnit! :argh:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Woolie Wool posted:

Khmer ROUGE, goddamnit! :argh:

More like Khum'er Rouge, right?

Hnnnnnnnnng!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dreddout posted:

Hnnnnnnnnng!

Somehow the boobs are grosser looking than the stomach and I can't quite put my finger one why.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Hnnnnnnnnng!

I hate you.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Who What Now posted:

Somehow the boobs are grosser looking than the stomach and I can't quite put my finger one why.

Woolie Wool posted:

I hate you.

Somebody's got to add a bit of humor to the thread talking about atrocities, right? :

If we stay on this derail I might be forced to post more...

:wink:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Cingulate posted:

Khmer Rogue

My favorite DnD prestige class. It gets a really devastating backstab bonus against Cambodians.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Hate Fibration posted:

My favorite DnD prestige class. It gets a really devastating backstab bonus against Cambodians.

Have you seen their "Killing Field" mechanic, though? You get huge buffs and you can declare it practically anywhere. It is such broken bullshit, I won't let them anywhere near my campaigns :argh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who is the chaotic neutral in this alignment?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tesseraction posted:

Who is the chaotic neutral in this alignment?
probably the pregnant hedgehog

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coyo7e posted:

probably the pregnant hedgehog

That's Rouge, who is a bat. And she's just being stuffed with food.

Also gently caress you for making me type that.

You're the lawful evil in this terrible situation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I would joke about the guy who made an alignment chart for goons, but I forget who that was

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was actually referencing said doofus - https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2450

He's now permabanned for being a giant poop licker.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I was actually referencing said doofus - https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2450

I remember those avatars :allears:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

eschaton posted:

They get things done.
That happens where the people are one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tesseraction posted:

That's Rouge, who is a bat. And she's just being stuffed with food.

Also gently caress you for making me type that.

You're the lawful evil in this terrible situation.

Naw, definitely Neutral Evil.. Just like the monk I made which pissed off my DM so bad that he killed me off while I had the flu - my cowardly lvl 4 bully reef pirate monk who picked on peasants, apparently started a fatal fight with a level 12 paladin while I wasn't around.

That was probably the most ridiculous pile of passive nerds I ever met, and I'm proud to have trolled the DM to that point when I convinced everybody to leave his literal re-draw of Hidden Leaf Village (then I was killed off two weeks later). Possibly even a better trolling moment than the time I made my guildmaster break down and cry and then ragequit world of warcraft, mid-raid.

If only I could make my DM go to the white house and bitch about his twitter being banned http://uproxx.com/news/breitbart-milo-yiannopoulos-twitter-verification-issues-white-house/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Moldbug wrote a blogpost about the very existence of chaotic good as an alignment, because that's a thing Serious Political Thinkers do

http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2007/05/what-if-theres-no-such-thing-as-chaotic.html

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

wow this part of the site is a no-man's land, huh

Loeb CL
Nov 18, 2011

Well, I just finished reading this thread from the very beginning, and I have exactly one question: who is this St_Rev guy? I've noticed his tweets get posted a lot but I don't understand why, because I've never seen him referenced anywhere else other than this thread.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Loeb CL posted:

Well, I just finished reading this thread from the very beginning, and I have exactly one question: who is this St_Rev guy? I've noticed his tweets get posted a lot but I don't understand why, because I've never seen him referenced anywhere else other than this thread.

that's because all of these people are irrelevant

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yikes, the edginess!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Yikes, the edginess!

You better believe it. Those hard-nosed, subversive truth-tellers of gibbis the Dark Enlightenment will rip us to bits with the supremely edgy shrapnel from all those :agesilaus: :siren: reality bombs :siren: :agesilaus: they keep hitting us stupid liberal moonbat sheeple with

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Naw, definitely Neutral Evil.. Just like the monk I made which pissed off my DM so bad that he killed me off while I had the flu - my cowardly lvl 4 bully reef pirate monk who picked on peasants, apparently started a fatal fight with a level 12 paladin while I wasn't around.

That was probably the most ridiculous pile of passive nerds I ever met, and I'm proud to have trolled the DM to that point when I convinced everybody to leave his literal re-draw of Hidden Leaf Village (then I was killed off two weeks later). Possibly even a better trolling moment than the time I made my guildmaster break down and cry and then ragequit world of warcraft, mid-raid.

If only I could make my DM go to the white house and bitch about his twitter being banned http://uproxx.com/news/breitbart-milo-yiannopoulos-twitter-verification-issues-white-house/

I dunno what to say about this post but I must comment on it.

nerd

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Yikes, the edginess!

The fucks who go on about poo poo like that splintered off of SA and have their own lovely off-site forum where all they talk about is SA mods and drama. It's really quite pathetic. Except for the ones who're still here on the gbs.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why do we still have gbs? Or is it the containment board akin to /b/?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

yep

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

GBS is pretty harmless and it still has a good thread or two once a blue moon. :shrug:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I love that St_Rev went about throwing up conspiracy theories about Maoist bernie supporters antagonizing Trump supporters and then Trump himself did one better and accused Bernie Sanders and his supporters of exactly that in no uncertain terms, and better still, threatened Sanders supporters by urging his own supporters to attack them.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Fututor Magnus posted:

I love that St_Rev went about throwing up conspiracy theories about Maoist bernie supporters antagonizing Trump supporters and then Trump himself did one better and accused Bernie Sanders and his supporters of exactly that in no uncertain terms, and better still, threatened Sanders supporters by urging his own supporters to attack them.

this is actually bad

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hate Fibration posted:

:downsgun:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

this is actually bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Moldbug wrote a blogpost about the very existence of chaotic good as an alignment, because that's a thing Serious Political Thinkers do

http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2007/05/what-if-theres-no-such-thing-as-chaotic.html

The alignment system in D&D is dumb and terrible and I hope they kill it for 5e or whatever comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Woolie Wool posted:

The alignment system in D&D is dumb and terrible and I hope they kill it for 5e or whatever comes next.

5e's been out for over a year and while it still has the alignment grid it's not really used at all except for "Detect/Protection from [X]" spells and the like. Paladins can even smite whoever the gently caress they want now.