Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

We rent so I can't do anything permanent. I have a plug nearby so I want something I can plug in.

I have to admit my first thought was to get a battery-powered work light, one of those ones with magnets so you can just stick it to the wall on top of a stud. It'd be pretty janky-looking, but it'd work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
These things are. . . ok. Easy up and down for a rental, won't last more than couple years probably.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why not just a long fluorescent bar with command strips? Example. Wouldn't be my choice if I owned, but fluorescents really don't suck like they used to.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

hooah posted:

Will custom builders even consider working with us if we're not interested in $500,000+ monstrosities?

Nationally, in 2014, 14% of "contractor-built" homes were $500,000+ monstrosities. 15% were between $100,000 to $149,999. So to reinforce other comments, yes, there are a lot of builders out there who work on smaller builds.

Saw chat: for things like cutting trim, what you want isn't a table saw, it's a miter saw. Unlike table saws, you can get a good miter saw for $200. You can't do a lot of woodworking tasks with a miter saw, but it's a wonderful upgrade for a lot of DIY tasks.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
Got an HVAC question. I was cleaning the grate in front of the intake vent in my apartment because it was rather dusty. I unscrewed it from the wall to get to the backside of it, and I saw inside the intake duct to the furnace. Two things are noticed were that 1. It was quite dusty inside and 2. The duct (which it rigid metal) was padded on all four sides with some kind of black, soft material.

The dust didn't worry me so much after looking at all the supply registers throughout my apartment and seeing that they weren't too dusty (and also reading in general the EPA does not recommend getting HVAC duct systems cleaned out, except for certain cases).

What troubles me a bit is the padding. Some googling leads me to believe they are duct liners, put there for insulation. But they're pretty beat up. The front edge doesn't appear to be sealed, and they're torn/ripped in a few places (pics below). Some metal clamps/pins also pierce them in a few spots (to hold it in place?). Also I''m guessing they're fiberglass, but I don't really know. (I pulled on one of the clumps of dust at the front of the intake, and pulled out some long fibers in addition to the dust. My apt was built in 88 for what its worth.)

Pics:

Any valid concerns here? If the insulation is beaten up, and doesn't insulated as well, that's one thing. But main concern is any health risks with the cut/ripped edges being in the air stream, potentially leaching fiberglass into in the air.

Edit: Ok, found some info about the dangers of fiberglass from the CDC. It seems residential fiberglass is fairly safe (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tfacts161.pdf)

BigBobio fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 14, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BigBobio posted:

Edit: Ok, found some info about the dangers of fiberglass from the CDC. It seems residential fiberglass is fairly safe (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tfacts161.pdf)

That's exactly what big fiberglass wants you to believe :tinfoil:

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's exactly what big fiberglass wants you to believe :tinfoil:

The CDC is never wrong!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the lighting suggestions. Many of them look good so I'll narrow it down for a purchase this weekend.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Is it really not recommended to get duct's cleaned out?

What if you move into a new to you house and want to do it as part of the whole house cleaning (carpets, refrigerator, toilet andddd DUCTS!)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vulcan posted:

Is it really not recommended to get duct's cleaned out?

What if you move into a new to you house and want to do it as part of the whole house cleaning (carpets, refrigerator, toilet andddd DUCTS!)

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/should-you-have-air-ducts-your-home-cleaned

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I have big time issues with humidity in my house. Went into the attic and found out the noisy bathroom fan vents directly to the attic, not outside. There are four vents on the roof and a single vent on the southern wall. There is also a closed window that appears to have been covered on the north wall.

I'd like to open the window on the north wall and put a screen over it. Then I'd like to improve the airflow on the southern vent, which appears from the outside to have been boarded over. Finally, I'm thinking about replacing the bathroom fan with a quieter, more powerful model that will then be vented to the outside. I'm still new to the do-it-yourself thing so I'm open to recommendations as far as whether these are good ideas. Thanks!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
You need to extend the fan exhaust to outside, probably through a roof vent, everything else is a band-aid.

The sooner you do it, the cheaper the mold remediation bill will be.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yup. A nice new quiet fan vented to the outside is definitely warranted.

But, is that the only thing going on with the humidity in your house? What are the problems you're having?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Extensive Vamping posted:

I have big time issues with humidity in my house. Went into the attic and found out the noisy bathroom fan vents directly to the attic, not outside. There are four vents on the roof and a single vent on the southern wall. There is also a closed window that appears to have been covered on the north wall.

I'd like to open the window on the north wall and put a screen over it. Then I'd like to improve the airflow on the southern vent, which appears from the outside to have been boarded over. Finally, I'm thinking about replacing the bathroom fan with a quieter, more powerful model that will then be vented to the outside. I'm still new to the do-it-yourself thing so I'm open to recommendations as far as whether these are good ideas. Thanks!

The previous owners of my place did the exact same thing, so I got a 4" hole saw and cut a hole in the side of my house, installed an exterior vent cover, and hooked up a new bathroom ventilation fan to it.

Fyi, if you're buying a new fan, make sure it's not GU 28 pin-base light bulbs, and instead accepts standard Edison screw base light bulbs. Really pissed me off last year when I dropped a hundred bucks on a fan at Lowe's, and they didn't even sell the stupid obsolete bulbs it required to run. Had to buy a screw base adapter and a specialty short led bulb to fit, costing me upwards of forty loving dollars for loving light bulbs.

Fyi, if you're venting your attic, you can cut square holes in your eaves with a jigsaw and drill, and screw in soffit vent covers to cover the holes. If you have roof cap ventsx a bunch of these should provide all the ventilation you need

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

slap me silly posted:

Yup. A nice new quiet fan vented to the outside is definitely warranted.

But, is that the only thing going on with the humidity in your house? What are the problems you're having?

Mold, and i think rot in the bathroom floor. As you might expect. Left a message with my fiancées dad who owns the place to see about drilling a hole in the wall for a side vent.

I don't need to worry about light thankfully, the light bar is separate and its a tiny bathroom, 70 square feet or so.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Extensive Vamping posted:

Mold, and i think rot in the bathroom floor. As you might expect. Left a message with my fiancées dad who owns the place to see about drilling a hole in the wall for a side vent.

I don't need to worry about light thankfully, the light bar is separate and its a tiny bathroom, 70 square feet or so.

I don't know how effective they are, but you might look into installing a humidity sensor switch for the fan, which will automatically turn it on once it gets humid enough. Cracking a window, and leaving the door cracked also help out a lot after and during a shower.

If it's that bad, I'd definitely fix the attic vent ASAP before your attic starts molding too.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't know how effective they are, but you might look into installing a humidity sensor switch for the fan, which will automatically turn it on once it gets humid enough. Cracking a window, and leaving the door cracked also help out a lot after and during a shower.

If it's that bad, I'd definitely fix the attic vent ASAP before your attic starts molding too.

Worth looking into, thanks.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Have any of y'all done any powder coating at home? I'm playing around with the idea of coloring some Yeti cups I have and I've seen some nice results online from shops that coat stuff. I've seen some tutorials involving toaster ovens and it looks like Harbor Freight sells a pretty affordable spray gun. Is this something I can pull off in my garage/driveway with acceptable results?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Is there no home solar thread anywhere? I need one of those trademark bloated SA OPs someone spent weeks putting together to figure all this poo poo out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Human Cow posted:

Have any of y'all done any powder coating at home? I'm playing around with the idea of coloring some Yeti cups I have and I've seen some nice results online from shops that coat stuff. I've seen some tutorials involving toaster ovens and it looks like Harbor Freight sells a pretty affordable spray gun. Is this something I can pull off in my garage/driveway with acceptable results?

I wouldn't put anything from HF near my mouth. Lead and asbestos are still very real concerns.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is there no home solar thread anywhere? I need one of those trademark bloated SA OPs someone spent weeks putting together to figure all this poo poo out.

I worked in the industry for a bit maybe I can answer your question.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's a gardening thread and a plant thread but I don't see a general lawn care thread, so: I'm living in my first house. I know nothing about mowing lawns, and I want to try it after having someone do it all last year. What should I know about getting a lawnmower?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Golbez posted:

There's a gardening thread and a plant thread but I don't see a general lawn care thread, so: I'm living in my first house. I know nothing about mowing lawns, and I want to try it after having someone do it all last year. What should I know about getting a lawnmower?

Aluminium/plastic bodies are lighter and cheaper but are more likely to crack if you hit a stone (steel just deforms).
Make sure the catcher is scaled to your lawn - if you have a big lawn, don't get a small one or you'll be forever emptying the thing. I got one with a mulching plug so it just pulverises the clippings and dumps them out onto the lawn, and they're basically invisible.
If you get a gasoline-powered one, check with the vendor (and at the gas station) about fuel. Fuels that have ethanol added can gently caress with the engine and dissolve fuel-lines not specifically designed with that in mind.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

mirthdefect posted:

Aluminium/plastic bodies are lighter and cheaper but are more likely to crack if you hit a stone (steel just deforms).
Make sure the catcher is scaled to your lawn - if you have a big lawn, don't get a small one or you'll be forever emptying the thing. I got one with a mulching plug so it just pulverises the clippings and dumps them out onto the lawn, and they're basically invisible.
If you get a gasoline-powered one, check with the vendor (and at the gas station) about fuel. Fuels that have ethanol added can gently caress with the engine and dissolve fuel-lines not specifically designed with that in mind.

Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For our small yard I use an electric with no battery: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZVOLXE
Plus a 50' cord which reaches the entire yard from a single outlet, but is at its limit on the longest length of the yard: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OS7ETIA/

I am awful at estimating distance, but the yard is probably 625 square feet, but closer to a triangle in shape due to a patio. Takes me 20? minutes and 1 bag to mow.

Edit: Hurr 25*25 not 25 sq ft.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 18, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a cheap "Homelite" electric plug-in mower that cost like $120 at Home Depot and it has lasted six years mowing my ~500 sq foot front lawn with no issues. I also have a string trimmer for edging, and in that case the lovely cheap one crapped out after three years. Now I have a dewalt battery operated string trimmer that wasn't that much more money and seems to be way better quality.

I do not recommend a gas powered mower for small yards because dealing with the gas is a pain in the rear end, and also because everyone always neglects the engine. You have to maintain any kind of mower but for my electric all I really do is after mowing, I tilt it onto its side and scrape off most of the wet grass clumps adhering in places, and make sure the vents are clear, and that's about it. A gas engine needs to be actually serviced occasionally and most home owners just don't bother or care, so the extra "investment" they made winds up wasted.

If you do get a plug-in electric, get an outdoor rated heavy duty three-prong extension cord, plug it into a properly grounded three-prong outlet, and don't for gently caress's sake run over it with the mower. Don't defeat the grounding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

If you do get a plug-in electric, get an outdoor rated heavy duty three-prong extension cord, plug it into a properly grounded three-prong outlet, and don't for gently caress's sake run over it with the mower. Don't defeat the grounding.

My mower only has 2 prongs but is "double insulated" whatever that means. The extension cord I linked is nominally the correct AWG for the length according to the manual, not accounting for the distance of the circuit in the wall. I've only almost run over it once.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

My mower only has 2 prongs but is "double insulated" whatever that means.

Actually, that means your device is Class II rated, which means that no single point of failure will result in live voltage shocking the user. That means no metal cases. Devices usually achieve this by having 2 layers of insulation protection between the electrified bits and the user, hence "double insulated". Because of that extra protection, Class II devices do not need to be grounded.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Golbez posted:

Cut no more than a third of the leaf length at a time, leaving it longer (2.5" or even 3") is a good thing, mulch instead of bagging. The third of the leaf rule also means the longer it is, the longer you can go between mowings. If you want to be more serious, start with soil test results instead of any kind of treatment or fertilizing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And if you own three corgis embrace your new dirt lawn.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a section of yard covered in english ivy. I want to demolish the poo poo out of it. The thing is that it grows over/through the chain link fence separating my yard and the neighbor's yard. It's groundcover on a slope, so I don't want to kill their ivy.

Will the heavy duty RoundUp for ivy kill all of the ivy? Or just the ivy on my side where I spray it? I have a brush attachment for my weedwacker, is hack and slash a better idea than chemical warfare?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'd hack/slash then spray what's left so it doesn't come up again. You'll have to remove the dead plants later if you just spray so it's not that much more work.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gounads posted:

I'd hack/slash then spray what's left so it doesn't come up again. You'll have to remove the dead plants later if you just spray so it's not that much more work.

RoundUp really only works by getting absorbed through the leaves. I'll probably chop it up and spray what comes back.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ivy is pretty easy to remove manually. Not sure why you'd bother with round-up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have a small electric mower (a Neutron, I think this one) for my small yard (Maybe around 2000 sq ft?) and I hate it. I got it for free from my dad when I bought my place last summer, so it was better (at the time) then buying a mower, but I'm definitely getting a new one (or maybe decent used one) this summer. Probably gas. I have a small gas station just up the road from me within walking distance so I don't have to worry about gas canisters in my car.

To be fair, it might be an ok mower for a MUCH smaller yard. I need at least one, sometimes two, recharges to do my yard. It's also extremely weak, and I have to walk very slow or else I can hear it struggle and almost stall, even if the grass isn't that long. The battery might be dying, but it's over $100 for a replacement. gently caress that noise.

The deck is also very narrow, taking too many passes to finish. It also is just designed shittily. A good mower has the mower deck extend far enough to the wheels so that you do your next row by placing the outside wheel on edge of the previous pass. But with my mower, that won't work, because the wheel base is so much larger than the actual mowing width. I have to overlap the deck like 2-3" inches onto the previous row to ensure I don't leave that little strip of unmowed grass. And since the deck is only like 14" wide, I basically have a 12" effective cutting width at best. And then on top of that the bag is so small that I have to empty it waaay too frequently. And I'm in the middle of a "suburban"-ish area so I don't have, like, an embankment or any woods to just toss my clippings into, and it's way too much for a compost bin, AND we don't have any roadside pickup for grass clippings, so I have to put them into those dumb yard-waste paper bags and haul them several miles away to the incinerator place where they burn lawn clippings, leaves, brush, felled trees, etc... from peoples' yards. And I only have a small car, not a truck, so then they get all over my interior.

TL:DR: I hate my electric mower and am basically looking for recommendations for a decent, but not crazy-expensive, mulching mower.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FogHelmut posted:

I have a section of yard covered in english ivy. I want to demolish the poo poo out of it. The thing is that it grows over/through the chain link fence separating my yard and the neighbor's yard. It's groundcover on a slope, so I don't want to kill their ivy.

Goats. Goats will go through that like mad but won't eat past the fence. Probably someone in your area willing to rent out a goat or two to take care of that. You can even check Amazon (really).

http://www.amazon.com/Hire-a-Goat-Grazer/dp/B00UBYDXXQ/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would never want a battery electric mower, and only recommended a plug-in one. My Homelite has a reasonable sized deck, a reasonable but not amazing amount of power (it does bog in overgrown heavy wet grass, but you just have to slow down and let it take its time), has the mulching attachment, and the bag is decently sized too. It is not an amazing mower by any stretch, but it works.

It's very similar to this one: 20" 12 amp 3-in-1 corded mower.

You can ignore the like 90% of negative reviews mentioning battery problems, since this isnt' a battery operated mower - obviously a shitload of idiots can't find their actual battery-operated mower in order to complain about the batteries dying.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got this electric mower, looks very similar to the Homelite above

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506579-53393-KM210-06_1z0wgdd__?productId=50129046&pl=1

I had a coupon and it works great. I can do my whole yard with a 50 ft extension cord.

Also got this weedwacker - http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-21142-18-Inch-Trimmer-Attachment/dp/B008BY6ZEC

Definitely overkill, but I'm going after that ivy with it.

Phanatic posted:

Goats. Goats will go through that like mad but won't eat past the fence. Probably someone in your area willing to rent out a goat or two to take care of that. You can even check Amazon (really).

Great idea, but the town does not allow goats as pets. I'll look for a rental.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The bedroom electrical outlets in my duplex don't have grounding plugs; is replacing them with grounded outlets something I can do easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FogHelmut posted:

Will the heavy duty RoundUp for ivy kill all of the ivy? Or just the ivy on my side where I spray it? I have a brush attachment for my weedwacker, is hack and slash a better idea than chemical warfare?

Phanatic posted:

This. Goats are great