Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I channel most of my nerd tendencies into music, and this is socially acceptable nerdiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Rafza posted:

parov stelar is cool to listen to

-fact

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"you got your benny goodman in my daft punk!"

"you got your daft punk in my benny goodman!"

"gentlemen, gentlemen, please. you're both horrible!"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

UberJew posted:

if this is an honest question read the metal thread in nmd and your question will be answered inside of the opening post and thoroughly verified by the rest of the first page

Goons don't actually count as real people fyi.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

christ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

i unironically like this

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"you got your benny goodman in my daft punk!"

"you got your daft punk in my benny goodman!"

"gentlemen, gentlemen, please. you're both horrible!"

im sorry could i get some Ratatatat, except really lovely

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

smdh at people writing off entire genres of music

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

UberJew posted:

also i guess nmd isn't really a fair example because that thread isn't anywhere near as aggressively racist as most metal fans are in my experience

the only racists i ever meet are skinhead idiots at the show to hit people. Metal fans pretty uniformly eviscerated phil anselmo for doing a nazi salute a couple months ago, and so did other musicians. tons of people other then whites love the music, especially latin people.

im sure depending on where you are though, it can get a lot worse.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

i unironically like this

smdh

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

yeah but i've never done either of those things and like edm so it could easily get coopted by dads and drive the kids to something else that is less lame by association

2031: An aspiring musician rummaging through grandpa's attic blows the dust off an old physical media copy of a The Mighty Mighty Bosstones album. A new musical revolution is about to be born......

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tbf i first heard the song and saw the video back in like 2013

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
like, that dude with his fedora is lame as hell

but that's not the song's fault

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

im sorry could i get some Ratatatat, except really lovely

threw on an extra at at the end champ

here's a nice pallet cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKniXABsUeE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ah, woops, busted, i like some songs by Caravan Palace. owned, i suppose.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
are you thinking of this as some kind of trap or something

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Rafza posted:

like, that dude with his fedora is lame as hell

but that's not the song's fault

guess what

the song's lame as hell too

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the only racists i ever meet are skinhead idiots at the show to hit people. Metal fans pretty uniformly eviscerated phil anselmo for doing a nazi salute a couple months ago, and so did other musicians. tons of people other then whites love the music, especially latin people.

my experience with metal fans has been the white people most likely to be very loud and insistent about how much they don't like rap and how rap isn't real music

but then this is california so we don't really have country available as the racist headquarters of music

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

most of the metal shows i go to the people are real friendly, it's a definite Subculture

i went to the uncle acid show and it was in the middle of the week, and i dont drink during he week, but i really wanted to drink. so i'm standing there at the end of the line for the bar convincing myself to just buy water and this guy who looks like he just got out of jail turns around, looks at my face, and asks me if i'm ok, and offers to buy me a beer

UberJew posted:

my experience with metal fans has been the white people most likely to be very loud and insistent about how much they don't like rap and how rap isn't real music

but then this is california so we don't really have country available as the racist headquarters of music

here in atlanta you'll see a pretty substantial number of non white folks at metal shows, i get the sense that the teenage black kids who show up are actively rebelling against hip hop or w/e

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

how much does a buckler usually cost

pretty cheap like 30 or 40 bucks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If I went to a bar or club and they were playing big band/swing I'd probably think it'd be funny for about 5 minutes just cuz it's so rare to see, but like no one can dance like that anymore so I'd expect a completely empty dancefloor and a lot of pity clapping after songs.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rollofthedice posted:

guess what

the song's lame as hell too

*swells up*

boy

ur lame

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sharkie posted:

2031: An aspiring musician rummaging through grandpa's attic blows the dust off an old physical media copy of a The Mighty Mighty Bosstones album. A new musical revolution is about to be born......

this is some Day of Lavos poo poo

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

i see we will continue to live in the worst timeline

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

UberJew posted:

i wasn't aware generally not liking rap made you racist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sharkie posted:

Zoot suit riot makes a bigger splash than it did in the 90s...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

this video is kinda racist, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeW9_5kURI

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Volkerball posted:

i wasn't aware generally not liking rap made you racist.
please proceed, governor

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ROTD is lucky hes too young to remember the brief, inexplicable swing revival in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWcN5YxuYc

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

UberJew posted:

This was me when i was 17, for sure. I wore a giant RAP SUCKS t shirt to a show in like 2001. I honestly never thought that way because of it being associated with black people, it was because it was popular and what all the popular kids at school listened too. we hated eminem more then any other rapper due to his giant popularity at the time.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

you'd have to be a pretty messed up type of person, to want to create this kind of ugliness and inflict it on the world.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

ROTD is lucky hes too young to remember the brief, inexplicable swing revival in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWcN5YxuYc
don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R. Mute posted:

please proceed, governor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiNNBc557OQ

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

most of the metal shows i go to the people are real friendly, it's a definite Subculture

i went to the uncle acid show and it was in the middle of the week, and i dont drink during he week, but i really wanted to drink. so i'm standing there at the end of the line for the bar convincing myself to just buy water and this guy who looks like he just got out of jail turns around, looks at my face, and asks me if i'm ok, and offers to buy me a beer

here in atlanta you'll see a pretty substantial number of non white folks at metal shows, i get the sense that the teenage black kids who show up are actively rebelling against hip hop or w/e
the hierarchy of friendliness at shows seems to be metal > folk > hip-hop > indie rock/pop > ... > punk

UberJew posted:

this is just a bad white people thing, they're just as likely to think led zeppelin is the pinnacle of all music or that nobody writes songs like that johnny cash fellow

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i guess what im saying is that being an awkward guy in a dadcoat popping and locking in your parents basement is really not an impairment to hitting the big time when it comes to terrible swing revivalism

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

all the metal fans I know are mexican

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Josh Lyman posted:

i unironically like this

good swing music does exist you know

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

i've only been to 3 concerts in my life, all in atlanta

blues traveler
outkast
major lazer

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if Brian Setzer can land a record deal, then Dadcoat Dennis and the Failsons can too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the number of young black kids has been growing here in detroit too. some local band with a black kid as the lead singer loving crushed it a couple months ago opening for gwar and he was mobbed after their set with people wanting to talk to him. dude was fat as hell but had poo poo tons of charisma and had the crowd going surprisingly nuts for a local opener.

• Locked thread