Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

If a phase happens without dice assigned to it, the effects of your techs will be triggered, but nothing else. This might mean you actually get the effects of an action (IIRC there's a tech that lets you act as if you have dice in a phase, for instance) even without dice.

Andarel posted:

There are devs that give one or two ghost dice during explore or ship.

OK, that makes more sense. Just a little unintuitive coming from Race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

OK, that makes more sense. Just a little unintuitive coming from Race.

Why? Race works exactly the same.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

It doesn't have the actions per worker mechanic, just binary on/off.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

In Race, if I call Explore but someone else calls Develop, I get to leech that Develop phase. Not so in Roll -- assign no dice to a phase and you don't get anything if that phase happens (until you have devs that give you leeching power).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In Race, if I call Explore but someone else calls Develop, I get to leech that Develop phase. Not so in Roll -- assign no dice to a phase and you don't get anything if that phase happens (until you have devs that give you leeching power).

In Race, one need to have a development and enough cards to afford it to leech Develop. But you usually do have a few 1/2-cost developments available, so one rarely fails to leech. Since you pay for things with dice in Roll, one often fails to leech. Especially if one regularly reassigns all the dice with develop faces.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are peoples' thoughts on the four expansions for Eldritch Horror, can someone do some mini-reviews of them? I've bought Forsaken Lore, and thought about buying another.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Boz0r posted:

What are peoples' thoughts on the four expansions for Eldritch Horror, can someone do some mini-reviews of them? I've bought Forsaken Lore, and thought about buying another.

Forsaken Lore is the best one, and has been impossible to find in the UK for almost a year or so. The cheapest on amazon is £50 and the 2nd cheapest is £100. It's the best one because the base game has a major problem with there not being enough research encounter cards or mysteries. Forsaken Lore ups these counts for all 4 of the base game's elder gods, and doubles the copy of each spell in the base game, from 2x to 4x. All the future expansions [and the new spell added in Forsaken Lore!] are at 4x of each spell. Different on the back and all that.

All the expansions add a new type of card called 'Unique Asset's, they're all vary from expansions and things. Basically, it's a seperate deck of asset cards that you can't buy from, but an encounter might say '... You befriend the boxer, gain the Boxing Man Unique Asset'. These can also be double sided like spells, and you might maybe flip them for effects and things.
And all the expansions after Forsaken Lore add the 'Focus' mechanic. Which let's you spend an action to gain a Focus token, that you can spend to reroll a die on a test, or maybe an encounter will say 'Spend a focus to improve a skill' or something nice.

Under the Pyramids and Mountains of Madness are both bigger box expansions, they come with a new mini board that you can set off to the side of the main board if the Elder One or Prelude calls for it. Mansions of Mandess adds Antartica, Pyramids adds Egypt. Unlike with Arkham horror, you will almost never use all the boards at once. Heck, most times you won't use a side board at all. They both add two elder gods, and only one god of the pair will call for the sideboard. So, if the sideboard prospect doesn't titilate you then at least you get 8 new characters and items and assets and encounters and whatnot.
Under the Pyramids adds the 'impairment' mechanic where you can get an impairment token, which is the opposite of an improvement token, and so it's a -1 or -2 to the dice rolled.

Strange Remnants
is another small box like forsaken lore, it adds one new elder god who is weird and Syzygy and will always flip no matter what. If you just want the focus mechanic, but don't want the sideboard, probably get this one? It's the cheapest. And you won't need to carry a second board with you to store it all unless you're a wizard or make a custom insert. But you only get 4 new characters with this one, how sad.
The focus mechanic is pretty good.

TL:DR: Forsaken Lore is the best one, it expands the first game to the point it feels 'complete'.
Under the Pyramids and Mountains of madness add a side board but are basically interchangable.
Strange Remnants is small.

I got a new phone otherwise I'd post pictures of my trip report on the loving 4 hour game of Eldritch Horror I played last week. My friend really likes Eldrich Horror, but hopefully after the loving four hour long game he'll keep it on his shelf for a while.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 18, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Boz0r posted:

Forsaken Lore: Without this expansion I once saw the same San Francisco encounter three times in one game. Extra stuff is good, this expansion feels mandatory.

Mountains of Madness: Focus tokens are a great addition and should probably have been in the base game, though you can house-rule them in even without this expansion. Prelude cards are great, but with only 6 of them you won't see much variety unless you pick up more expansions. They're a bit all over the place in terms of what they do, though. Some are mostly an early buff to the investigators (the "two dead investigators" one for the easy artifacts at minimal drawback); some just add sidequests that can be completely ignored at no penalty (the Antarctica one); one wordy one we jokingly refer to as "before the game starts, play the first turn of the game". The Antarctica side board is great with its old one, which gives you plenty of reasons to spend time there. Adding expeditions to cities (and Antarctica with its old one) also makes it more likely that you'll have time to go on expeditions.

Strange Remnants: This one I was disappointed by. The Mystic Ruins deck is pretty much just a second expedition deck, but weaker. Where the expedition deck usually gives you either an artifact or a bunch of clues, the mystic ruins usually gives you a Unique Asset Relic (not as good as an artifact) or lets you twiddle the omen track. This is obviously meant to have an interesting interaction with the new old one, which uses the omen track to determine when it flips. But... the investigators don't really care when it flips. They don't mind if it flips early because it has to flip at some point and the reverse side isn't any harder than the front, and they don't mind if it flips late because the endgame encounters are so punishing that you really don't want to try them before your investigators are very built up. The intended interaction isn't really there, you're usually best off ignoring the new deck, and it's just kind of a disappointing mess.

Under the Pyramids: Both of the great old ones introduced here are fantastic. The pyramids are great with their old one, and while their prelude is of the optional sidequest variety, the fact that the pyramids board changes the central map geometry means it will always be relevant even if you don't have time for the quest. (I really like that sea route between the pyramids and India.) The impairment mechanic is introduced here, it's basically improvement in reverse and it exists I guess, not bad but nothing to get excited about.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
My mate made it sound like literally every expansion came with more focus tokens and the rules for them, but if they're only in Mountains of Madness then definitely just get that.
They are piss to houserule though. You can spend an action to get the token. You can spend the token to reroll. You can't have more than two at once. You'd just be missing out on the 'spend a focus' encounter cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

My mate made it sound like literally every expansion came with more focus tokens and the rules for them, but if they're only in Mountains of Madness then definitely just get that.

Strange Remnants has them too, Under the Pyramids does not.

All three post-Forsaken Lore expansions have Preludes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You still have to have the cards to use, though, which is what the dice are equivalent to - and your tableau still takes effect even if you have no cards/dice.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Godfather game? http://comicbook.com/2016/03/18/cool-mini-or-not-announces-the-godfather-board-game/

Thoughts? I'm kind of excited even though there is very little info..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I got a new phone otherwise I'd post pictures of my trip report on the loving 4 hour game of Eldritch Horror I played last week. My friend really likes Eldrich Horror, but hopefully after the loving four hour long game he'll keep it on his shelf for a while.

That seems long. I also played a four hour game of Eldritch tonight, but that included setup, breakdown, rules explanation to the two newbies and several bar breaks, and we went to the end of the Mythos deck. If we'd not bothered reading the flavour and I'd picked the GOO in advance we could have played in 150 minutes tops.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

That seems long. I also played a four hour game of Eldritch tonight, but that included setup, breakdown, rules explanation to the two newbies and several bar breaks, and we went to the end of the Mythos deck. If we'd not bothered reading the flavour and I'd picked the GOO in advance we could have played in 150 minutes tops.

It was. i've played three games of Eldritch Horror. And this one was as long as the other two combined. Including setup and rules explanation.
Honestly I couldn't tell you why it ran on for so long. 5 players, only 2 were new. It was against Azanoth. We didn't even get the 'shuffle a solved mystery back into the deck'. It just.. Dragged?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

murk posted:

The Godfather game? http://comicbook.com/2016/03/18/cool-mini-or-not-announces-the-godfather-board-game/

Thoughts? I'm kind of excited even though there is very little info..

Eric Lang is the flavour of the week thanks to Blood Rage, but really, he hasn't really proven himself to be a particularly exciting designer, certainly not to the point where CMON should be throwing this and Bloodborne at him. XCOM proved that he can piss away a slam dunk theme.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The End posted:

Eric Lang is the flavour of the week thanks to Blood Rage, but really, he hasn't really proven himself to be a particularly exciting designer, certainly not to the point where CMON should be throwing this and Bloodborne at him. XCOM proved that he can piss away a slam dunk theme.

Counter point: He designed the GoT card game (original CCG edition and was involved with the subsequent LCG editions), and it's awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

Counter point: He designed the GoT card game (original CCG edition and was involved with the subsequent LCG editions), and it's awesome.

That's what I came to say. It's really great and has taken over a good 80% of our game nights. I don't know how directly he was involved in the 2.0 version, but his name is still on the box.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was talking to a guy in a game store and he just came back from some trade show and told me about how he meet Vlaada and said he was working on a Godfather game and a Bloodborne card game.

It seems to me, checking the thread and else where on the internet, he somehow confused what Vlaada and Eric Lang told him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay lets add Caverna to the cart, oh man Keyflower expansions on sale?!

My wallet: :cripes:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Played two games of Puerto Rico and one game of Sticheln tonight and won all three. :clint:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone thinking of picking up Agricola (and are on the fence), you might want to act now!

The new reprint (coming out this year) of Agricola is going to come with severely reduced components. Only enough pieces for 4 players, and one third as many cards! If you act now you can get a copy of the "good" Agricola before they are sold out and replaced by this neutered edition:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1518017/new-family-version-q3-2016-reduced-reprint-version

quote:

...a reprint of Agricola as you already know it, with fewer components so that we can keep its price tag at a reasonable level. It will be for 4 players only and will only include 96 cards. It is meant for Agricola players who play the game maybe three times a year.

...will only have a single deck, including 14 action space cards (aka round cards), 10 major improvements, 48 minor improvements, and 48 occupations.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 19, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

For anyone thinking of picking up Agricola (and are on the fence), you might want to act now!

The new reprint (coming out this year) of Agricola is going to come with severely reduced components. Only enough pieces for 4 players, and one third as many cards! If you act now you can get a copy of the "good" Agricola before they are sold out and replaced by this neutered edition:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1518017/new-family-version-q3-2016-reduced-reprint-version

or just wait for next year and go hog wild with the six player, 1000 card anniversary edition

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

deadwing posted:

or just wait for next year and go hog wild with the six player, 1000 card anniversary edition

Is this a real thing?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Foehammer posted:

Is this a real thing?

It's in the link.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadwing posted:

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. That version (if it gets published) is going to be super premium $$$, not the kind of thing you buy if you are getting into Agricola for the first time. The missing components are going to be sold separately, and you can bet the new Base Game + Expansion will cost more than Base Agricola costs now (otherwise why change the price structure?).

New players should buy Agricola now, before the 300 card edition dissapears.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

:dogbutton:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

I was talking to a guy in a game store and he just came back from some trade show and told me about how he meet Vlaada and said he was working on a Godfather game and a Bloodborne card game.

It seems to me, checking the thread and else where on the internet, he somehow confused what Vlaada and Eric Lang told him.

Lol man, I wish Vlaada was working on a Bloodborne game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder how long it would take to play "19th Century: the game".

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Some loving dick just outbid me on a copy of Glory to Rome with 2 seconds left. Are there any print and play options since this game is in limbo?

I find it unlikely it'll get reprinted, so what I did was get all the card art from BGG and got it printed by some Chinese printing place. Worked out to about $20/copy (Canadian) (made two extras to get free shipping). The only thing that sucks if you print it out only on regular sized playing cards is the 'playmat' things are real small.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

The End posted:

Or this little flavor of the week called Chaos in the Old World.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Merauder posted:

Also Chaos in the Old World, perhaps the best dudes (/demons) on a map game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

triggered, not in numerical order.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Where did you get this from?

edit: nvm I found it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Won Steampunk Rally as the Wright Brothers. Exploded past the finish line, taking 6 pieces of damage, but kept my rocket boosters. Ended up one square from max on the default board.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

:ninja:
Little known fact, if you rename Vassal modules from .vmod to .rar you can extract all of the image files contained within.

Do you have an English Glory to Rome module? Only thing I can find is Russian, and I am not Russian.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I wonder how long it would take to play "19th Century: the game".

It would be fun to make an 18XX where you actually effect politics through your investments, etc. Eventually you become a monopolist robber baron type, I guess?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"I like my games the way I like my women: 18 and pulling a train."

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

So, if I want to get one of the bigger expansions, and I think Egypt is cool, I should just go for Pyramids?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Boz0r posted:

So, if I want to get one of the bigger expansions, and I think Egypt is cool, I should just go for Pyramids?

Pretty much! Though, you won't get Focus that way. And I think Focus should've been in the base game. But if that's not a dealbreaker to you. Then go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm disappointed that it's not stored by title