Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don't get a transcript to check grades, you get it as supporting material for a degree claim. It's not at all unusual as part of a background check to establish diligence, especially around the sort of hire you mention in your earnings call. Similarly, I've had to produce records of employment for past employers when my work there had been widely reported in the press. It's not a big deal, and it's not casting aspersions.

I can't imagine it having bothered Vint at all, he is one of the chillest guys I've ever worked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

You don't get a transcript to check grades, you get it as supporting material for a degree claim. It's not at all unusual as part of a background check to establish diligence, especially around the sort of hire you mention in your earnings call. Similarly, I've had to produce records of employment for past employers when my work there had been widely reported in the press. It's not a big deal, and it's not casting aspersions.

I can't imagine it having bothered Vint at all, he is one of the chillest guys I've ever worked with.

Is there anything you don't like about working at Google?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've never worked at Google.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Subjunctive worked/works at Oculus/Facebook.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The recruiting process takes too long, it's depressing to see your friends/former colleagues apply and then almost always get rejected, the promo process is stressful and time-consuming, and having the largest office be in the bay area is bad for one's wallet.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Did we already mention LivingSocial laying off half its staff?
http://recode.net/2016/03/16/livingsocial-is-laying-off-more-than-50-percent-of-its-staff/

quote:

LivingSocial is laying off around 280 employees in the latest move aimed at trying to stanch the bleeding at the one-time e-commerce darling and Groupon foe.

The layoffs account for between 50 percent and 60 percent of the current staff, though around 120 of those jobs in customer service will be replaced through outsourcing. LivingSocial will employ around 200 to 225 people after the cuts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Subjunctive posted:

"Hey, brilliant guy who worked with DARPA to create the internet, did you really graduate from college? This is important to us because we are loving stupid."

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to derail into hiring practice. It's bad and dumb and purposefully designed to skew towards recent grads and everyone knows it. Then you add in the emphasis on places and not skills(which are getting so individualized by company you have to train them) and it's just comical. I didn't think it was quite make Vint Cerf submit his undergrad transcripts comical, but here we are.

Anyway, are we all presuming an ad revenue crash, collective capital clenching, plus an apocalyptic collapse of B2B services?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Buffer posted:

Sorry, I really didn't mean to derail into hiring practice. It's bad and dumb and purposefully designed to skew towards recent grads and everyone knows it. Then you add in the emphasis on places and not skills(which are getting so individualized by company you have to train them) and it's just comical. I didn't think it was quite make Vint Cerf submit his undergrad transcripts comical, but here we are.

Anyway, are we all presuming an ad revenue crash, collective capital clenching, plus an apocalyptic collapse of B2B services?

I like "collective capital clenching". Add in an apocalyptic collapse of many players in the "disruptive economy" market. Uber and AirBNB, probably not, but a lot of also-rans, especially in the food-delivery market.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrNutt posted:

"Hey, brilliant guy who worked with DARPA to create the internet, did you really graduate from college? This is important to us because we are loving stupid."

You just do it for everyone senior, otherwise how do you decide who to do it for? "*You* we don't trust enough, cough it up." Keep in mind that Yahoo had a CEO, who was previously CTO at I believe PayPal, who lied about his undergrad.

It's just paperwork, you tell a 3rd party firm to do the check and they run the checklist, you file the paperwork away. It's annoying sometimes, but if it had mattered to Vint he could have avoided it too, I'm pretty sure. (You just decline to provide it, they put "could not verify", and then kick it back to HR to decide if they still want the hire.)

It has nothing to do with arrogance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

I've never worked at Google.

Cicero posted:

Subjunctive worked/works at Oculus/Facebook.

Sorry about that! :doh:

quote:

The recruiting process takes too long, it's depressing to see your friends/former colleagues apply and then almost always get rejected, the promo process is stressful and time-consuming, and having the largest office be in the bay area is bad for one's wallet.

That sucks. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sorry about that! :doh:

That's cool, I'm not offended. I advocate for my actual employer's practices sometimes too (though there are definitely things that I don't like about working here).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, "taskers" set their own rates and provide their own equipment.

So taskrabbit (which I've never heard of) is basically an app based yellowpages then, or seems like it.

Buffer posted:

Based on IBM's current revenue issues I'd say the B2B crash has already started

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 18, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sbaldrick posted:

So taskrabbit (which I've never heard of) is basically an app based yellowpages then, or seems like it.

They provide ratings, search, criminal record check, insurance against damages, and handle payment I think. More than just a directory, certainly.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Subjunctive posted:

They provide ratings, search, criminal record check, insurance against damages, and handle payment I think. More than just a directory, certainly.

Still sounds like they're functionally very different from Uber, though. Uber's problem is that their drivers are effectively employees, and the broadest definition of independent contractor is that there's no employer-employee relationship at play. If Taskrabbit isn't trying to exert that kind of control over its users then it doesn't seem like they're in the same category as other gig economy companies that people complain about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paradoxish posted:

Still sounds like they're functionally very different from Uber, though. Uber's problem is that their drivers are effectively employees, and the broadest definition of independent contractor is that there's no employer-employee relationship at play. If Taskrabbit isn't trying to exert that kind of control over its users then it doesn't seem like they're in the same category as other gig economy companies that people complain about.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Not really, overall working at Google is awesome. There are way more upsides than down.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

So this puts them at what, 10% of their peak employee count?

They were always a total bubble company, the CEO's primary qualification was being Don Graham's son-in-law. Speaking of which, Bezos dumped hundreds of millions of Amazon's capital into LivingSocial a few years before buying the Washington Post from Don Graham...there has to be a story there somewhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Paradoxish posted:

They're actually providing a service for both buyer and seller. Buyers get to pick an individual handyman who is known to be competent and has a bond backing them in case of disasters; sellers get all the advantages of a marketing and management company (including billing, a known nightmare) while still setting their own rates, tasks, and schedule.

sbaldrick posted:

Say more?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

sbaldrick posted:

I guess it depends on the business unit you're looking at. IBM is divesting a lot of service and trying to avoid low margin businesses. Their 'strategic imperatives' revenue is growing very fast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The CEO of Theranos is supposed to be worth $3.6 billion. If the company goes bankrupt like we expect, will she basically only be worth the money she got in salary?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

The CEO of Theranos is supposed to be worth $3.6 billion. If the company goes bankrupt like we expect, will she basically only be worth the money she got in salary?

Depends on how much she was able and wanted to sell in funding rounds and the secondary market. I suspect that it's enough to live on for a fair while.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on how much she was able and wanted to sell in funding rounds and the secondary market. I suspect that it's enough to live on for a fair while.

That's before the lawsuits, of course.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's before the lawsuits, of course.

Corporate veil is probably enough to keep her safe.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Corporate veil is probably enough to keep her safe.

Hogan pierced the corporate veil against Gawker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ayn rand hand job posted:

Hogan pierced the corporate veil against Gawker.

What? The judgment was rendered against Gawker, not against Denton. That's exactly the corporate veil protecting him.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What? The judgment was rendered against Gawker, not against Denton. That's exactly the corporate veil protecting him.
Whoa. First I'd heard that he'd won. We'll see how the appeals go. Back to Theranos: if half the allegations are true, the civil suits will be against Theranos, but the criminal prosecution for fraud could very well be against the CEO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whoa. First I'd heard that he'd won. We'll see how the appeals go. Back to Theranos: if half the allegations are true, the civil suits will be against Theranos, but the criminal prosecution for fraud could very well be against the CEO.

Who is investigating that might bring charges? I haven't been following closely, but I didn't know that there were prosecutors involved.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

That was the report I had gotten from Bixenspan, who's been following this trial since Day 1. I'll see if he issued a correction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ayn rand hand job posted:

That was the report I had gotten from Bixenspan, who's been following this trial since Day 1. I'll see if he issued a correction.

Yeah, I can't find the judgment proper online anywhere, but even Bixenspan is referring to Gawker owing the amount, not Denton (at least on Twitter). It would be worse for Hogan if the award were split, because there's no way that Denton can cough up as much privately.

Interested to see what you find.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Who is investigating that might bring charges? I haven't been following closely, but I didn't know that there were prosecutors involved.

It's too early for prosecution, but the FDA is investigating complaints by former employees.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys know the head scientist at theranos killed himself a couple years ago right?

Theranos is like the king of the poo poo pile of unicorns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's too early for prosecution, but the FDA is investigating complaints by former employees.

Huh. FDA does criminal when they get upset enough. I bet there's an all-Theranos-all-the-time thread I should soak up.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder if you can buy an insurance policy on your equity. You give somebody the rights to x amount in exchange for 20 years of cash flows.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

You guys know the head scientist at theranos killed himself a couple years ago right?

Theranos is like the king of the poo poo pile of unicorns.
I hope the CEO gets her comeuppance. I couldn't stand everyone praising her as the second coming. :mad:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

menino posted:

I wonder if you can buy an insurance policy on your equity. You give somebody the rights to x amount in exchange for 20 years of cash flows.

Sure, it's selling options with a payment plan basically.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I can't find the judgment proper online anywhere, but even Bixenspan is referring to Gawker owing the amount, not Denton (at least on Twitter). It would be worse for Hogan if the award were split, because there's no way that Denton can cough up as much privately.

Interested to see what you find.

In siding with Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, the court ­decided that he was performing a private act in the sex tape — and posting the video wasn’t protected by the First Amendment.
The jury didn’t stop with the media company itself, as they also found Gawker founder Nick Denton and the ex-editor who posted the video, A.J. Daulerio, personally liable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughlander posted:

In siding with Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, the court ­decided that he was performing a private act in the sex tape — and posting the video wasn’t protected by the First Amendment.
The jury didn’t stop with the media company itself, as they also found Gawker founder Nick Denton and the ex-editor who posted the video, A.J. Daulerio, personally liable.

:getin:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

:siren: We have a veil breach! :siren:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Subjunctive posted:

Huh. FDA does criminal when they get upset enough. I bet there's an all-Theranos-all-the-time thread I should soak up.

This is genuinely very difficult to get the FDA to do- they don't have the funds to pursue this kind of case often. That said, a big factor is probably the amount of media coverage Theranos got. Usually you'd have to intentionally kill multiple people with your product to get to criminal with FDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This is genuinely very difficult to get the FDA to do- they don't have the funds to pursue this kind of case often. That said, a big factor is probably the amount of media coverage Theranos got. Usually you'd have to intentionally kill multiple people with your product to get to criminal with FDA.

What are the odds the SEC takes an interest if it looks as if the CEO should have known that the thing didn't work when she was selling it to investors?