Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

rujasu posted:

I'm slightly tempted to pull on the first FFII banner. Yes, I realize it's an uncommon synergy and the characters aren't that great. But it's a physical SSB, an instant-speed medica, and a 2% chance at Hand of the Emperor which is a great SB. Someone please talk me out of this, thanks.
it's actually a pretty good banner, it's just competing with ssbfest. I think it ends on the 29th, just before phase 3 starts, so if you're planning on pulling in phase 1 or 2, you can wait to see if you get anything good before you decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

rujasu posted:

Banner 5 has both SG and Garnet's Hastega SSB (which is roughly as good as Red Scorpion), along with a medica and two physical SSB's. It also has Thor Hammer which is a 35% Boostga which is good when you don't have scream and awful when you do have it.

SG is probably the best relic to have IMO. You have a medica, and there are lots of other chances to get medicas. There are various options for Hastega. Scream is the best of the bunch. But if you have the Wall relic, you get the flexibility of using RW to call whichever Hastega you want, including Scream.

So I'd say SSB5 is the best banner to go for, but I wouldn't sink all 450 into it. SSB1 and SSB4 are fine choices, I wouldn't spend more than a single 11-pull on either one. Skip 2 and 3. And make sure to save some for Tactics. But definitely pull more than once on 5.

Ok. This all makes sense. I'm still going to name you in my suicide note when I blow all my mythril chasing a wall and not getting it like I have every single time SG and Thryus have been available so far, though. :suicide:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Grimalkin posted:

I've heard mentioned that JP got a summoning buff and that some summons now hit more than once. Do we have any idea of when this may happen for Global? With my black magic library pretty well-honed, I'm starting to invest more in summons.

I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed magic in general. Half the traditional point of bringing mages is "Low defense, high offense." If they're just squishier and deal less damage than physical guys, there becomes absolutely no point to them except for enemies that are ranged only/high defense.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

rujasu posted:

I'm slightly tempted to pull on the first FFII banner. Yes, I realize it's an uncommon synergy and the characters aren't that great. But it's a physical SSB, an instant-speed medica, and a 2% chance at Hand of the Emperor which is a great SB. Someone please talk me out of this, thanks.

I'm not going to myself because I just don't have the mythril for it, but it's a very solid event for relics. It's just very unfortunately timed. I'm not sure I'd chase Hand of the Emperor specifically though, since Basch will be coming up with the next XII event and has the same exact SB on a shield. Basch is an overall better character than Leon is and XII synergy is far more relevant than II synergy is.

The rest of the stuff though is really solid. Minwu's instant Curaga level medica is baller, Gordon's AoE ATK/MAG breakdown is great, and Maria's lightning nuke is good on mage teams if you don't have another source of MAG up. Basically it's a bunch of great stuff on both banners but the event is cursed by timing.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Well I'm swimming in XII synergy as it is, but Basch's first banner does look pretty strong.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed magic in general. Half the traditional point of bringing mages is "Low defense, high offense." If they're just squishier and deal less damage than physical guys, there becomes absolutely no point to them except for enemies that are ranged only/high defense.

If they stopped making the ultimate fights have triple the RES compared to DEF then things would probably be better.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
4 Majors so far, 2 Black and 2 Lightning. Solid.

A lot of 4*, and the distribution is like 20/10/70 B/L/D. I'm not up on my "prioritize these orbs for these skills" suggestions, so I hope GDOs (or converted MDOs) have strong uses in the future!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Say you get platinum sword from FFT from the first 11 pull. Do you stop pulling? Are the other items as magnificent?

It would depend how much I whaled on Banner 5 and what I received from SSB Fest. I wouldn't rule either option out personally, not until I get there. It's a drat fine "problem" to have. =P

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grimalkin posted:

I've heard mentioned that JP got a summoning buff and that some summons now hit more than once. Do we have any idea of when this may happen for Global? With my black magic library pretty well-honed, I'm starting to invest more in summons.

Before the Summoner's Nightmare (~3 months from now) at the very latest. More likely it'll be in a month or so.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

kalensc posted:

4 Majors so far, 2 Black and 2 Lightning. Solid.

A lot of 4*, and the distribution is like 20/10/70 B/L/D. I'm not up on my "prioritize these orbs for these skills" suggestions, so I hope GDOs (or converted MDOs) have strong uses in the future!

Dark orbs are probably the most important orb this phase, unless you're newer and need to hone up a lot of black magic. This is especially true if you plan to take advantage of the Darkness skillset that will be released later, or the 5* summons. They're used for Thief's Revenge, Break Fever, Odin, Bahamut, Dark Zone, etc. They're used in basically all the ninja abilities, and all the Drain-type abilities (usually in huge quantities), etc.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

If they stopped making the ultimate fights have triple the RES compared to DEF then things would probably be better.

Time to balance things out by tripling DEF!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

If they suddenly just flipped the trend and started making super high DEF bosses with reasonable RES I would be content because it would absolutely turn the Scream meta on its head. And that would be hilarious and amazing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If they suddenly just flipped the trend and started making super high DEF bosses with reasonable RES I would be content because it would absolutely turn the Scream meta on its head. And that would be hilarious and amazing.

That'd be fine with me. I have both Scream and Hastemarch in Japan :v:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Well sure, but what I meant was bosses with both absurdly high DEF and absurdly high RES. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

rujasu posted:

Well sure, but what I meant was bosses with both absurdly high DEF and absurdly high RES. :v:

RF Ifrit was the first. We might get more in the future.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

RF Ifrit was the first. We might get more in the future.

Ifrit was the first. Fal'Cie Dahaka (AKA The Most Complicated Boss In Existence Period End Of Story) is the second. It's due in a few days.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do you guys level up weaker characters? Do you stick them in the back row?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Right now, Orbfest is the absolute best EXP you can get. Take in a party of people you wanna level with a mage that can wipe rounds with Ruinga/Summons and watch the EXP roll in. I'm not sure what the efficient party size is, I've been doing a full party of 5 but it's probably not the best.

When Orbfest isn't around, the Sundaily dungeon is tailored for EXP grinding.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Throw some weak eggs on them to give them some decent HP to start with, put them in the back row, and put an Auto-Haste RM on a character who can clear waves of the EXP daily or orbfest with an AOE attack. I'd give the weak character either the RM that boosts EXP or something that makes them slightly more survivable, like an Auto-Protect RM or something.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ugh, I've only had one Gigantaur spawn so far (dropped Dark), although the game is just throwing GLOs at me. Hopefully all my Major luck is being saved for Phase 2?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

How do you guys level up weaker characters? Do you stick them in the back row?

Yeah, give them a couple eggs, put the best armor on them you can manage, and put them in the back row and have them defend. They should be fine; even the enemies in the + difficulty dungeon aren't that threatening.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So. I'm pretty close to having the orbs to practically craft either Flare or Meteor. Which one do people generally recommend?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I went with Meteor myself, as it still does -ja level damage and is an AoE on top meaning it bypasses Reflect. Flare hits significantly harder which may be relevant as bosses start getting more and more RES. Meteor requires Major Earth Orbs to craft and hone while Flare doesn't, but Flare requires substantially more Major Fire Orbs.

There's useful perks to both but someone a bit more versed on the subject can probably comment on it more.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I have both R1 Flare and Meteor and I use Meteor way, way, way more than I do Flare.

For stages where bosses don't have elemental weakness, I just slap Meteor and Ruinga on my BLM and give them Mana Spring II. They singlehandedly clear all of the trash waves instantly, and when I hit the boss they can still throw out two fairly high level damage spells while I get Advantaliate set up and then can just switch to attacking Cloud/Gilg/Auron.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah, Meteor is definitely more useful for clearing the difficulty 110+ Elites where the trash mobs are arguably more of a hassle than the bosses.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Meteor is more useful at lower hones, but if you truly want to commit to one, I think Flare is better. I have mine at R3 and I can throw it onto any mage for lots of damage. Especially useful for fights where medal requirements/available synergy promote a mixed party and you can't focus all your buffs/debuffs towards magic damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'd say go for Meteor. AoE damage is one of the few places that magic will remain pretty relevant, and Meteor is one of the best AoE magic options. You need to hone Flare higher to be very useful, and even then it's just a single hit, single-target non-elemental damage, which you can get from a lot of sources.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm a Flare fan, for the same reasons stated above. Maxing damage without breakdowns or buffs for a character is very valuable.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KnoxZone posted:

Meteor is more useful at lower hones, but if you truly want to commit to one, I think Flare is better. I have mine at R3 and I can throw it onto any mage for lots of damage. Especially useful for fights where medal requirements/available synergy promote a mixed party and you can't focus all your buffs/debuffs towards magic damage.

Honing any 5* skill to R3 is such an investment, though. We're about to get a lot more of them too (most of which we'll get at R1 for free), and even though Fire and NE aren't as in demand as Wind, there's still other stuff that you might want them for more than Flare with the overall decline in Black Magic usefulness.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rujasu posted:

Hand of the Emperor is hot garbage compared to Scream and Agrias's SB is physical with longer lasting Magic/Attack Breakdown effects on it as well.

SSB Fest has vital things like Wall, Hastegas, and Yuffie's insta-cast medica SB is also on a banner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hand of the Emperor is hot garbage compared to Scream and Agrias's SB is physical with longer lasting Magic/Attack Breakdown effects on it as well.

SSB Fest has vital things like Wall, Hastegas, and Yuffie's insta-cast medica SB is also on a banner.

Hand of the Emperor stacks with Scream/other Boostga effects, so it's hardly bad. Even a weaker Boostga effect like Thor Hammer/Maverick can have strong effects when backed up with HotE. It's a perfectly valid SB.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

But as stated, the Hand of the Emperor SB is also on an upcoming shield for Basch on a great banner. Basch is better than Leon by a long shot (although he gets screwed out of an MC2 for a long time, even though all the preceding events start giving new characters MC2s in the same event), and Basch's shield is a much better piece of equipment. All-around better defensive stats, an attack boost, and it boosts Holy damage. The same banner also has Balthier and Fran's SSBs. Balthier is a top-tier character, and his SSB is a single-target physical attack that causes a fire weakness (which he can just so happen to exploit with spellblades). Fran's SSB is a single-target physical that causes a full breakdown effect (or close enough; -40% to ATK, MAG, DEF, and RES). There's also Penelo's medica with +30% attack boost, and one of Ashe's magic swords. I'd say it's a far better banner than the FFII one.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Schwartzcough posted:

But as stated, the Hand of the Emperor SB is also on an upcoming shield for Basch on a great banner. Basch is better than Leon by a long shot (although he gets screwed out of an MC2 for a long time, even though all the preceding events start giving new characters MC2s in the same event), and Basch's shield is a much better piece of equipment. All-around better defensive stats, an attack boost, and it boosts Holy damage. The same banner also has Balthier and Fran's SSBs. Balthier is a top-tier character, and his SSB is a single-target physical attack that causes a fire weakness (which he can just so happen to exploit with spellblades). Fran's SSB is a single-target physical that causes a full breakdown effect (or close enough; -40% to ATK, MAG, DEF, and RES). There's also Penelo's medica with +30% attack boost, and one of Ashe's magic swords. I'd say it's a far better banner than the FFII one.

Thanks for pointing that out, you just removed any temptation of me pulling for the Golden Armor.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, I might still throw 5 Mythril and 100 Gems at FFII just because I'm getting trigger-happy, but knowing that Basch has a +ATK/+DEF SB takes away the temptation of trying for Hand.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Leon gets darkness 5 though, which alongside knight 5 is kinda a really good set. Or am I wrong and he only gets darkness 4?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lets see. I'm currently sitting on 6 Major Darks, 49 Greater Darks and 242 Regular Darks (Have Drainga AND Darkra to R4). 10 Major Lightning, 121 Greater Lighting and 320 Regular Lighting (still gotta make up Thundaja). And I have 9 Major Black, 24 Greater Black and 226 Regular Black orbs so far.

Hopefully I can get more Greater Black, Major Black and Major Dark by the end of phase 1 of Orbfest, if only to make more -Ja magics (just missing an R4 Thundaja, Waterja and need two more hones of my Bioga to make that an R4). I do fully admit to trading down some Majors for Greaters to get my -Jas (Firaja and Drainga in particular)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I went with Meteor myself, as it still does -ja level damage and is an AoE on top meaning it bypasses Reflect. Flare hits significantly harder which may be relevant as bosses start getting more and more RES. Meteor requires Major Earth Orbs to craft and hone while Flare doesn't, but Flare requires substantially more Major Fire Orbs.

Requiring Earth Orbs isn't a problem since I'm sitting on tons of them because as far as I can see nothing I need requires them.

Any interesting future abilities that use Earth Orbs?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
All the people pointing out that Basch's shield is much better than Leon's armor are completely right, but I'm gonna throw 100 gems at Minwu 1 anyway (and I'm not the type of person who does that pull on every banner). Having II gear would be nice even if it's rarely supported, and both of the SSBs are pretty good: Firion's has guaranteed Blind proc if the target's not immune (which would be HUGE for the upcoming X-2 Ultimate) and Minwu's is a Curaga-strength medica with instant cast, which basically makes it Yuffie's Clear Tranquil on steroids (and on a character that you'd actually want spending turns on healing). Gordon's shield is like a baby version of Agrias' too, albeit on a much worse character.

Hell, even the second banner isn't bad, although I probably won't be putting any money into that one. We're at the stage of the game where DeNA actually has to be trying pretty hard to give us outright bad banners. I guess the worst ones I can see looking at the schedule are probably Twins 2, Desch 2 and Cait Sith?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

if you had a holy boosting weapon and a holy boosting armor, would the boosts stack?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

if you had a holy boosting weapon and a holy boosting armor, would the boosts stack?

Yes, and the bonuses are multiplicative. 20% from weapon and 20% from armor gives you a total of +44% damage.

Dr Pepper posted:

Requiring Earth Orbs isn't a problem since I'm sitting on tons of them because as far as I can see nothing I need requires them.

Any interesting future abilities that use Earth Orbs?

Saint Cross, Full Charge, Bloody Cross, Bio Grenade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh if Saint's Cross uses Earth Orbs that's totally what I am now saving for.

• Locked thread