Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mikeycp posted:

If you want people playing 9x9, Online Go is rife with them.

Yeah...but will any of them be able to usefully point out my failures? I don't mind losing, but I hate not knowing why I'm losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pander posted:

Based on his past history of RANK > EVERYTHING type posts, he's probably hyper-competitive to the point of having absolutely no sense of fun playing except when he wins and ranks up.

Either way, he's not going to be convinced by arguments here.

Pretty much; I'm just giving my side of how I feel about it. Now I just exist to pop in and out of ITGO and maybe tell new ITGOers why what they're doing is bad like when I was a ddk.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

Yeah...but will any of them be able to usefully point out my failures? I don't mind losing, but I hate not knowing why I'm losing.

I've had some nice, productive discussions with a couple people there. You might need to be the one to start the conversation, though.

If you friend me on there (same name) I'll play and talk if I'm around.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

jivjov posted:

I'm only around 20k so far, but I'd be willing to play and go over any mistakes I can catch. I'm on OGS, name's ZackAter. I could play for a bit right now, and/or play a lot in maybe 2.5 hours?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I just added http://senseis.xmp.net/?SmallGaps to https://tinyurl.com/xomsguide

Zesty Mordant posted:

kgs keeps deleting my account can I get invited back into kgs? this time, I swear, I'm going to play games

zestym
user "zestym" not found on KGS

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
Yeah Xom, I went to add him too but he betrayed us all. I will not forget this! Okay, but seriously Mordant, PM one of us on KGS when you make your account again so we can add you! Once you go ITGO you never... Go... anywhere else?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

elementc posted:

Yeah Xom, I went to add him too but he betrayed us all. I will not forget this! Okay, but seriously Mordant, PM one of us on KGS when you make your account again so we can add you! Once you go ITGO you never... Go... anywhere else?

*cough*

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

AdorableStar posted:

I think it pretty much does. Because computers can do things better than people, those activities are obsolete and should be replaced by computers.

enjoy the inevitable ennui that will come when computers can do more and more things better than you, i guess

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Testiclops posted:

enjoy the inevitable ennui that will come when computers can do more and more things better than you, i guess

YUPPPPP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, I'm only on page one of the thread in terms of reading it, but I'd love to finally get into playing Go! I registered on KGS, and my username is AAfromSA.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mechanical devices can please a woman better than you, so might as well never have sex again right?

"I can't ever be the single best at a specific field, so I'm not going to bother trying at all" is some pretty messed up logic.

Anyways I'm done thinking about that, too weird.

I'm in two SA go tournies on OGS, but are there more goon games on KGS? Or is it just better at finding pubbies to play against live? I haven't touched the kgs client in a couple years now or so because my computer hated it. New computer can probably manage it okay and I'll have some nights free next week to play some games.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Can someone add me to the SA Group on OGS? Name is the same as on KGS, HamOfTruth

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh is there a Goon Group on OGS too? Could someone add JasonHunt to that? (this is what I get for signing up via Facebook...)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AdorableStar posted:

Besides being boring, it's one of the reasons I don't play chess.

Taking a scientific point of view: Computers are super strong at chess but there's still frontiers in the game to explore that computers aren't absolutely perfect. There's still plenty of motivation to study the game's theory because well... Computers can't write scientific papers yet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm pretty new to OGS but it seems like there are more games to be had on it than KGS, but KGS has much better players. This is fine for me since I'm still goretarded. Just an observation. I'l probably use both. IGS's client is godawful and I shan't use that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Mechanical devices can please a woman better than you, so might as well never have sex again right?

Implying I ever have.

Pander posted:

"I can't ever be the single best at a specific field, so I'm not going to bother trying at all" is some pretty messed up logic.

No human through any amount of talent or hardwork can become the best at this mental field anymore and pretty soon everyone will have acess to better than pro abilities, so I'm not going to bother trying much anymore.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

AdorableStar posted:

No human through any amount of talent or hardwork can become the best at this mental field anymore and pretty soon everyone will have acess to better than pro abilities, so I'm not going to bother trying much anymore.

You were already in this scenario before AlphaGo showed up. You were never going to be the best at the game. What has changed now that there's a stronger player out there? Why do you care that it's more easily accessible than a pro teacher or that it's made out of steel rather than bones?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Should cranes make weight-lifters give up?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just FYI you are arguing against someone who uses pink anime characters as mouse cursors on his personal computing system.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IT BEGINS posted:

You were already in this scenario before AlphaGo showed up. You were never going to be the best at the game. What has changed now that there's a stronger player out there? Why do you care that it's more easily accessible than a pro teacher or that it's made out of steel rather than bones?

It's not about being the best - it's about HUMANS through HUMAN means being the best. What's changed is that the eventual inevitability of Go software of pro strength being availible through phones is even closer.

Pro teachers aren't as accessible as an iphone app and they sure as hell don't cost the same. It doesn't even have to be phones; it can be easily downloadable software.

Uncle Jam posted:

Just FYI you are arguing against someone who uses pink anime characters as mouse cursors on his personal computing system.

Green thank you

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

It's not about being the best - it's about HUMANS through HUMAN means being the best. What's changed is that the eventual inevitability of Go software of pro strength being availible through phones is even closer.

Pro teachers aren't as accessible as an iphone app and they sure as hell don't cost the same. It doesn't even have to be phones; it can be easily downloadable software.

Green thank you

Why wouldn't you want it to be easier to get good at go

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

Why wouldn't you want it to be easier to get good at go

Why would you assume that's my position and that that's my argument?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

Why would you assume that's my position and that that's my argument?

I dunno. That's what I got out of that post

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

I dunno. That's what I got out of that post

I'm stating that I feel that, for me, strength in the game is devalued as a whole when higher-than-humanly-possible abilities becomes commercially availible and that I find it distasteful.

If you don't care about strength, then nothing I say should matter to you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AdorableStar posted:

I'm stating that I feel that, for me, strength in the game is devalued as a whole when higher-than-humanly-possible abilities becomes commercially availible and that I find it distasteful.

This is true for pretty much any game or sport ever. You can build a machine or make a program better than humans at a LOT of stuff.

And...why not just compare humans to humans instead of comparing humans to non-humans.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I could sympathize with an argument from a pro like "all I care about is knowing the most about good play in Go, so since computers will soon know more about that than humans, the human search for good play is pointless", but that doesn't seem to be AS's argument since AS would never reach a top pro's understanding anyway and it doesn't relate to their point about commercial availability.

It seems like they're saying something like "low kyu and better strength/knowledge in go is a relatively rare commodity, and access to that knowledge will no longer be rare. Since the overwhelming reason I play go is to have direct access to something rare, there's little point to me playing Go anymore". If that's close, then I guess AS should just move on to a similar game that fewer people play, like Amazons.

Also, I agree with the majority that this doesn't change anything for me. Except it makes me more interested since the publicity in the west will make it easier to find people to play with.

dirby fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 18, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Go computers surpassed me about five years ago, I'm over it already.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

dirby posted:

It seems like they're saying something like "low kyu and better strength/knowledge in go is a relatively rare commodity, and access to that knowledge will no longer be rare. Since the overwhelming reason I play go is to have direct access to something rare, there's little point to me playing Go anymore". If that's close, then I guess AS should just move on to a similar game that fewer people play, like Amazons.

If you change low kyu (And I'd rather say strong kyu since low is ambiguous) to amateur dan, pretty much.

I play osu now.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm about to put in an order with GoGameGuru and wanted to run it by the thread first in case I'm missing a way to get a slightly better deal...I have the Mini Me Go Set and the Cheap Go Board in my cart right now...This looks like the cheapest way to get a decent set of stones and bowls, plus access to 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 board space, without resorting to a flimsy paper/plastic board.

I'm just tired of using my thrift store $2.99 set that has stones that are smaller than dimes.

If you do wind up getting the 9x9 let me know how you like it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Booyah- posted:

If you do wind up getting the 9x9 let me know how you like it.

It's getting delivered tomorrow, I'll review and post pics when it gets here!

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

AdorableStar posted:

... nothing I say should matter to you.

Sounds about right.

For everyone else, it's nice to see interest in Go go up. Looking forward to having more people to play with live eventually.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, I'm only on page one of the thread in terms of reading it, but I'd love to finally get into playing Go! I registered on KGS, and my username is AAfromSA.

I added you to the access list. You can join the room any time now. :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

elementc posted:

I added you to the access list. You can join the room any time now. :)

Thanks! :buddy:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AdorableStar posted:

I play osu now.
A bot could easily play osu with perfect timing and accuracy. Hell, it could even read the timing windows from the beatmap ( osu! has different timing windows per beatmap because???) and get full perfects.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Stuntman posted:

A bot could easily play osu with perfect timing and accuracy. Hell, it could even read the timing windows from the beatmap ( osu! has different timing windows per beatmap because???) and get full perfects.

It has different timing windows because you can have easier timing windows for easier maps and harder ones for harder maps? And with a smaller timing window you reduce the chance for notelock at higher bpm streams?

A robot playing osu is not the same as one playing go for me because the go playing robot represents devaluation of strength for me and the fact that anyone could be using it at any time. Osu playing robots are always banned and illegal. (So many cheaters huehueau). If alphago could exist but be dissassembled like deepblue, ok. But I don't think they'll do that and the inevitability of commercial grade pro bots is coming sooner than expected.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AdorableStar posted:

It has different timing windows because you can have easier timing windows for easier maps and harder ones for harder maps? And with a smaller timing window you reduce the chance for notelock at higher bpm streams?

A robot playing osu is not the same as one playing go for me because the go playing robot represents devaluation of strength for me and the fact that anyone could be using it at any time. Osu playing robots are always banned and illegal. (So many cheaters huehueau). If alphago could exist but be dissassembled like deepblue, ok. But I don't think they'll do that and the inevitability of commercial grade pro bots is coming sooner than expected.
Having timing windows be inconsistent between songs only interferes with the development of an inherent feel for pgreat timing. While something like having the windows consistently be larger or narrower between difficulties would make more sense, having a beatmap's author be able to set the timing window size fucks with feel for timing pretty hard. If pgreats are different between the same high-level songs, it also creates a larger disconnect between songs of the same difficulty.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Stuntman posted:

Having timing windows be inconsistent between songs only interferes with the development of an inherent feel for pgreat timing. While something like having the windows consistently be larger or narrower between difficulties would make more sense, having a beatmap's author be able to set the timing window size fucks with feel for timing pretty hard. If pgreats are different between the same high-level songs, it also creates a larger disconnect between songs of the same difficulty.

What's pgreat timing? I need to know this first.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i think you are confused khell. you keep saying 'anyone has access to pro level skill' as if using a bot somehow magically gives you that skill level. i own a calculator and i am certainly no mathematician.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

totino boy posted:

i think you are confused khell. you keep saying 'anyone has access to pro level skill' as if using a bot somehow magically gives you that skill level. i own a calculator and i am certainly no mathematician.

It gives you the ability to use the skill level, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

AdorableStar posted:

It gives you the ability to use the skill level, yes.

so using google translate means i have the ability to speak all languages? gosh, i never knew i should be putting 'polyglot' on my resumes