Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

ahaha, what? in this very thread people kept bringing up the fact that she can't act. how had she become "one of the show's best characters"? because she finally had sex with Clarke?

I think alycia debnam-carey is a great actress and did really well at portraying a stoic warrior character who slowly got her walls broken down and showed emotion. her yelling at Titus was great, her sobbing when Clarke finally kissed her (completely adlibbed by the way!) was great. just because some goons itt said she was bad doesn't mean she was, she obviously resonated with a ton of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

because she finally had sex with Clarke?

living the dream

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

ahaha, what? in this very thread people kept bringing up the fact that she can't act. how had she become "one of the show's best characters"? because she finally had sex with Clarke?

Perhaps I should've used more precise language. How about "one of the most beloved parts of the show by both professional critics and fans alike, whose acting talent only goons seem to have a problem with." Does that make it clearer?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Perhaps I should've used more precise language. How about "one of the most beloved parts of the show by both professional critics and fans alike, whose acting talent only goons seem to have a problem with." Does that make it clearer?

It makes it more delusional.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

It makes it more delusional.

I think you need to take a chill pill

maybe you're just living up to your user name, idk

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I am actually very relaxed at the moment.

Thanks though. :)

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
As a straight white dude, Alycia Debnam-Carey gave literally my favorite performance to date on this show. It was subtle, nuanced, and did a fantastic job communicating a reservoir of emotion held back by self-denial. I was crushed when she died, because I believed every emotional beat the writers gave her to sell to the viewer. I'm not abandoning the show, but I get why people would be upset about how it was handled.

I also think that the thing getting lost in translation is that the level of outrage correlates 1:1 with how good a job the show (and by extension, show runners) did in making that plot and those characters resonate in the first place. The misstep they made only stung as bad as it did because of how much they previously got right.

Troposphere posted:

I think you need to take a chill pill

maybe you're just living up to your user name, idk

Seriously though why the gently caress would anyone in TVIV not have enraged camel on their ignore list?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Seriously though why the gently caress would anyone in TVIV not have enraged camel on their ignore list?

Because his bullshit posting is so loving hilarious?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guys, get a room...

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.

This should have been the episode straight after Pike came into Arkadia. Even a couple of flashbacks showing all the grounders they meet eventually lying and betraying Farm Station would have gone a long way to characterise Pike.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The lesson that should be learned here is don't pander to tumblr, it lets them think they have some sort of importance or input into a show's writing.

I thought the way that Supernatural does it with their 'meta' episodes was pretty good.

I think the last one I saw was like 'yeah this show had some dumb ideas and terrible seasons' but while we respect our crazy fans, their ideas are worse. Also the two main characters are brothers and so do not secretly want to gently caress each other.'

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

hollylolly posted:

I imagine the toxic sap is a feature of the post-nuclear war world
Its actually here. We are the 100.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

quote:

Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid (even a small drop of rain with the milky substance in it will cause the skin to blister). The sap has also been known to damage the paint on cars. Burning the tree may cause ocular injuries if the smoke reaches the eyes. Contact with its milky sap (latex) produces bullous dermatitis, acute keratoconjunctivitis and possibly large corneal epithelial defects.

The Carib Indians used the sap of this tree to poison their arrows and would tie captives to the trunk of the tree, ensuring a slow and painful death.

GIS for "manchineel tree burns" if you need the gross.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm never particularly discerning about actors in my trashy tv shows but Lexa's acting never stood out to me in any way. :shrug:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: No new episode tonight :siren:

According to the wiki we have until March 31st to continue discussing how the show treats it's actors and guest actors and tumblr fanbase. I mean, we can keep talking about that after a new episode airs as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can we also talk about FTWD again?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

hollylolly posted:

According to the wiki we have until March 31st to continue discussing how the show treats it's actors and guest actors and tumblr fanbase. I mean, we can keep talking about that after a new episode airs as well.

I'd rather talk about Olivia beating the poo poo out of Bellamy.
We know its coming, and it will be glorious.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Can we also talk about FTWD again?

Only in the FTWD thread. :colbert:

Dalael posted:

I'd rather talk about Olivia beating the poo poo out of Bellamy.
We know its coming, and it will be glorious.

I dunno, might be weird for a new character to do that when his sister Octavia already has a clear motive for kicking his rear end.

i couldn't help myself, sorry. I knew who you meant :v:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Olivia is Octavia's feral twin sister that was forgotten in the floorboard compartment next to her that survived on scraps of food. DUN DUN DUN

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hollylolly posted:

I dunno, might be weird for a new character to do that when his sister Octavia already has a clear motive for kicking his rear end.

i couldn't help myself, sorry. I knew who you meant :v:

Well, Octavia is obviously going to die in a tragic horse riding accident off screen, thus requiring a new character

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Burn the CW to the ground.

Why do they do this every year. :negative:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
So this show seriously suspended itself because people on tumblr cried about something?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Pretty sure this break was already planned for whatever reason. March madness maybe, who knows.

Taking a break to let the fanbase stew over Lexa's death some more is a bad decision. Speculation: I wouldn't be surprised if we still see Lexa in more than just the finale if she really is in ALIE2's city of light full of commanders.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FRINGE posted:

So this show seriously suspended itself because people on tumblr cried about something?

No, it just has the worst scheduling this side of Person of Interest. It's like this every year.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Tumblr like some kind of haven or meeting place for lesbians? Like serious question. One of my friends, a lesbian, mentioned that when she was first realizing she liked women that she'd get on tumblr and start chatting with people for support and such. Like I didn't think much of it because I only know of tumblr as an easy blogging platform from back in the day when tech nerds still used it, now in my mind it's just a bunch of people with blogs that basically amount to fwd: fwd: re: fwd: you've got to see this! types and a ton of poo poo That Didn't Happen. Do people actually use tumblr as a legit communication platform.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Tumblr like some kind of haven or meeting place for lesbians? Like serious question. One of my friends, a lesbian, mentioned that when she was first realizing she liked women that she'd get on tumblr and start chatting with people for support and such. Like I didn't think much of it because I only know of tumblr as an easy blogging platform from back in the day when tech nerds still used it, now in my mind it's just a bunch of people with blogs that basically amount to fwd: fwd: re: fwd: you've got to see this! types and a ton of poo poo That Didn't Happen. Do people actually use tumblr as a legit communication platform.

yeah

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not just lesbians.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like a most social media sites, there are all sorts there and the decentralized nature of it means that there are a lot of different communities. It's sort of stereotypically known as the home of SJWs and the varying shades of what that implies, those groups really got their start on Tumblr and are probably the biggest "Export". It's also home to just about any kind of community you can think of. Examples of ones I've heard about : mothers, gun owners, shoplifters, fans of the game Dragon Age.

There are definitely large LGBT communities though, most of which are fairly supportive and such.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.
Yeah I also wondered and posted about this during the same time those episodes aired. Really the time in the cave while waiting out the Ice Nation army was not enough to justify "we did what we had to do". Farm Station almost plays beat-for-beat like the tailies in Lost, so it makes so little sense that you have to just take it by faith that the audience will care about off-screen stuff.

I know that they also didn't want to do an election episode but why not just split the difference and do that (election by means of maybe more exposition and actually feeling the mood in Arkadia) and flashback to Farm Station landing on Earth?

Or literally, the last episode would've justified it too. Especially contrasting what Kane is doing while all the while reinforcing and showing us exactly what Farm Station went through and why they think they're justified not only in bringing a war to the grounders but also to root out traitors within.

Maybe they didn't want to do it on the heels of the Polis episode which also featured flashbacks and make it look like a crutch? But anyways, it would've been an awesome companion episode alongside that. Like, I literally care about as much or even more about the three people who were on Polaris station as much as I do now for Pike and friends, and guess who has had like half a season to try to explain to me why they should be the protagonist in this story?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What didn't make sense to me is that main Ark group were so willing to give up Finn to the grounders but then wouldn't give up Pike. It doesn't make sense because the grounders kept their word (mostly) after Finn died and the main group enjoyed three months with no grounder attacks by Trikru. But when a small group of people from Farm station show up with a different experience from a different grounder tribe, the main group suddenly seems to forget that Trikru has mostly lived up to their word.

It's just so bizarre.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I would not characterize the Arkers as "so willing" when it came to handing Finn over. They dragged their feet and agonized over that decision for far too long, imo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hollylolly posted:

I would not characterize the Arkers as "so willing" when it came to handing Finn over. They dragged their feet and agonized over that decision for far too long, imo.
Exactly. The general populace was like "this is an easy decision" but anyone who had a real say in it - Abby, Clarke, Kane, Finn himself (maybe him less so) - were pretty much trying to weasel their way out of it somehow or make it easier on the kid.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Plus the person making the decisions on whether or not to turn Pike over to Treekru is...Pike. It's not exactly surprising he doesn't think this is a great idea. Kane, on the other hand, thinks it's the ONLY idea at this point that will work, precisely because of the Finn precedent.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry, I meant the general population. Obviously the main characters would try to weasel out of it. But it doesn't seem like the general population wants to send out Pike.

Also, this is obviously wishful thinking but I think it would have been great if after Pike said ' You should have killed me,' Kane would have said 'You're right' and then shot him right there in the vehicle.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

hollylolly posted:

Plus the person making the decisions on whether or not to turn Pike over to Treekru is...Pike. It's not exactly surprising he doesn't think this is a great idea. Kane, on the other hand, thinks it's the ONLY idea at this point that will work, precisely because of the Finn precedent.

IIRC, Kane was even the sane one during the Finn stuff. Guy kills a couple dozen women and children of a people who could roll up and slaughter us, and all they want is that one guy to execute? Not a fun choice to make, but not a hard decision either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I imagine that the precedent created by FInn actually makes throwing Pike out to the Grounders the less attractive option.

They sacrificed one of their own to form a pact with the Grounders. Who then betrayed them and backed out of the deal not two weeks later. Then the Arkers found a large number of survivors, which would have been a massive cause for celebration. Except those guys have even worse horror stories to tell about their experiences with with Grounders, and then most of them get blown up anyway.

Now they Grounders are asking the Arkers to sacrifice their very popular leader to promote peace and harmony? gently caress off. They didn't even get handed the Ice Queen to murder last time there was a mass murder, and now they have to hand over _another_ dude?

I mean, it's pretty clear that Abby, Kane, Clarke, Lexa, et all didn't give half a drat about motivating or explaining things to the Arker contingents. So someone like Pike coming along and snatching power is the least that should have happened.

And, of course, Pike's completely incapable of seeing a second dangerous demagogue who's operating right under his nose. (Jaha)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TMMadman posted:

What didn't make sense to me is that main Ark group were so willing to give up Finn to the grounders but then wouldn't give up Pike. It doesn't make sense because the grounders kept their word (mostly) after Finn died and the main group enjoyed three months with no grounder attacks by Trikru. But when a small group of people from Farm station show up with a different experience from a different grounder tribe, the main group suddenly seems to forget that Trikru has mostly lived up to their word.

It's just so bizarre.

Think of it this way. A small group of muslims blew up the world trade centre, and the US invaded two unrelated countries. It doesn't have to make sense. people are hosed up. people who are afraid do not make logical decisions.

That's what's happening in the 100. It doesn't matter if a specific group of grounders were responsible. Its simply too easy to make a blanket statement like, "All grounders are bad, loook what they did!" the same way that its easy to say, "All muslims are bad, look what they did"

The 100 is very realistic the way it portrays people behaviours as a group.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dalael posted:

A person can be smart. But people are loving idiots.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

WarLocke posted:

A person can be smart. But people are loving idiots.

:agreed:
That's the gist of it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The problem with the arkadia plot this season is that it's made plenty of conceptual sense, but all the critical emotional beats have either been classic "told and not shown" blunders (farm station's background, the election, the massacre of the peaceful grounders), or handled extremely ham-handedly (the mount weather bombing). There's no basis for audience buy-in, it's like being given the cliff notes of a plot and maybe one chapter in the middle.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

King of Bleh posted:

The problem with the arkadia plot this season is that it's made plenty of conceptual sense, but all the critical emotional beats have either been classic "told and not shown" blunders (farm station's background, the election, the massacre of the peaceful grounders), or handled extremely ham-handedly (the mount weather bombing). There's no basis for audience buy-in, it's like being given the cliff notes of a plot and maybe one chapter in the middle.

yeah

I think it would have helped a lot to just show the election and give the arkers a bit of a voice to really show how perceptions have changed because of the mt. weather incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dalael posted:

Think of it this way. A small group of muslims blew up the world trade centre, and the US invaded two unrelated countries. It doesn't have to make sense. people are hosed up. people who are afraid do not make logical decisions.

That's what's happening in the 100. It doesn't matter if a specific group of grounders were responsible. Its simply too easy to make a blanket statement like, "All grounders are bad, loook what they did!" the same way that its easy to say, "All muslims are bad, look what they did"

oh my god shut up already this has nothing to do with anything

• Locked thread