Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Repost this tomorrow night

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

fat gay nonce posted:

This is a fantastic meme

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

fat gay nonce posted:

lmao

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fat gay nonce posted:

ahaha

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Someone repost it on Twitter and get it worldwide, let's make this dead gay forum relevant again

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

fat gay nonce posted:

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fat gay nonce posted:

lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

fat gay nonce posted:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Wrong thread

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Where's TBP? He needs to judge where this belongs.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Brony Car posted:

As the background of this subforum

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Yeah what happened to him

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://www.instagram.com/p/-jbMGWPhL4/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Someone made Suqit.txt into a video. Amazing.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kick off 7 'triangles' on the Amiga looking good

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

what the gently caress is this its offensively loving bad

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

what the gently caress is this its offensively loving bad

Let me share some unique Barcelona soccer experience with you, in this very thread, because you are missing the subtlety. Instead of following the ball, follow the off ball movement. Look for triangles to appear, dissolve and then reappear right before your eyes. Watch as player's heads swivel to find the man making the run for the second pass, not the first. Watch the tight control and decision making. Don't appreciate the pass that was made, appreciate the pass that wasn't because it was more difficult and less likely to be successful.

Watch the instant pressure applied once the ball is lost. Appreciate the monumental patience and discipline required to maintain possession without making foolish passes for long stretches. Realize that they are making things that are incredibly difficult to do both physically and tactically look so easy that it becomes boring.

Or you can just say lol Barcelona matches are boring and hate them.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

Let me share some unique Barcelona soccer experience with you, in this very thread, because you are missing the subtlety. Instead of following the ball, follow the off ball movement. Look for triangles to appear, dissolve and then reappear right before your eyes. Watch as player's heads swivel to find the man making the run for the second pass, not the first. Watch the tight control and decision making. Don't appreciate the pass that was made, appreciate the pass that wasn't because it was more difficult and less likely to be successful.

Watch the instant pressure applied once the ball is lost. Appreciate the monumental patience and discipline required to maintain possession without making foolish passes for long stretches. Realize that they are making things that are incredibly difficult to do both physically and tactically look so easy that it becomes boring.

Or you can just say lol Barcelona matches are boring and hate them.

Can we put this in a sticky post somewhere? I can never find it when I want it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
That and the Munich sandwich one.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

:eyepop:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

loving hell :stare:

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I think the plane would still be quicker

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Did we ever find out if a plane could take off off a giant treadmill?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

jyrka posted:

Did we ever find out if a plane could take off off a giant treadmill?
no-one crashed and burned faster than skrtel today

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

St Louis Fox posted:

This is my first post on Foxes Talk, though I have followed the forum for ages. I apologize for the prolixity of what follows. I live in the USA and I I have been trying to explain to my American friends why this season is so extraordinary. Older LCFC fans may (or may not!) enjoy this:

If some of my American (and perhaps some of my British) friends find my obsession with the Mighty Foxes (aka Leicester City FC) puzzlingly wearisome, here's a short explanation.

I have followed the Foxes, off and on, since I was a young lad, and my father took me (somewhat grudgingly, and after much nagging on my part -- he was a rugger man) to watch them play in the last game of the 1968 season... a meaningless nil - nil draw with Stoke City. But I was hooked.

I didn't much like Leicester as a place. Still, It was where I grew up. Sent away to school at the age of thirteen (to a Northern school where rugger was fetishized), I found myself surrounded by "chaps" who, if they had any interest in football, veered towards Leeds Utd, Manchester City, or Newcastle. Confessing to supporting an unfashionable East Midlands team was a bit like outing oneself as a lover of Proust or Wilde, when everyone else was reading Nevil Shute or (for the intellectuals) Tolkien.

Following "Citeh" in the 1970s and early 80s was pretty grim. I had formed an alliance with three other devotees, and we would meet on the terraces at Filbert Street (Leicester's dowdy, but atmospheric ground) on Saturday afternoons (Spion Kop, Pen 3) to sing and chant for a team which (briefly) had a hint of 70s glam-rock pizzaz. But they never actually won anything.

It was an extremely violent period in English football. I recall being chased through the backstreets of various English cities: Luton, Coventry, Manchester, Sheffield (an afternoon which ended up in the Royal Infirmary for one of my friends), Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby. The worst was visiting London, where a trip to Stamford Bridge (Chelsea) or Highbury (Arsenal) or (worst of all) The Den (Millwall) was essentially a life-threatening experience. Knowing that all Leicester fans would be heading home via St. Pancras station, London hooligans would wait to ambush us on the Circle Line... but we were never sure at which tube station we'd be surprised.

The era is summed up for me in a song which used to be chanted in the Leicester Kop (from My Fair Lady):
Hand Grenade and a walking stick,
Piece of lead and a building brick,
One Forest Fan to Kick....
... now wouldn't it be lovely?

Well, no not really. But that's written with hindsight.At the time,I loved it. Not a participant (I'm a physical coward), but a testosterone-fuelled teenager, nevertheless, I think I was more into the voyeurism of 70's football culture. Indeed, my musical tastes were neither skinhead nor suedhead, but retro-hippy / proggish. ELP and King Crimson rather than ska or (though I secretly admired them) Slade. But Slade were from Birmingham (or was it Wolverhampton?). The only rock band who were out for LCFC were Family... who I still think are magical.

I was pleased to leave Leicester when I was eighteen, to spend the next ten years living in London. But I had (and still have) strong family ties to the area. And I always warm to the sound of an East Midlands accent -- an accent that was drummed out of me as a child. Whenever Leicester were playing in London, I usually managed to to watch them. But I was a bit older and wiser now. Football was an opiate of the working classes (hah!). In the ghastly 80s, surely, the future lay in Marxism and Structuralism? What did Althusser, Barthes, or Derrida have to say about Leicester's crappy league performances (though kudos to Karl Miller. at UCL, with whom I used to talk (Scottish) football). I had learned a new language and football didn't really form part of the lexicon.

And yet... wherever I found myself (Scotland (twice), Ireland, the South Coast of England, and now the USA) I always, on a Sunday morning, turned through whatever Sunday paper was available. How had Citeh done? A dismal loss, or a draw was the usual outcome.

So... football is tribal. English football perfectly represents (I'd argue) Benedict Anderson's notion of Imagined Communities with the emphasis on "imagined." There haven't been many really good books on football (though there are exceptions: Brian Glanville's (now unread) masterpiece: "The Rise of Gerry Logan," Tim Parks's "A Season with Verona," and, of course, David Peace's superb "The Damned United" and "Red or Dead" (in which Leicester have an unlikely starring role)). As for Nick Hornby...he's an Arsenal supporter.

But... this season....

At the start of this (2015-16) football (soccer) season, the English bookies, William Hill, were offering odds of 5,000-1 against LCFC winning the premiership. Now with 7 games to go, they sit on top of the Premier league, 5 points ahead of Tottenham Hotspur ("Spurs" a North London side). In the early 1960s Spurs were a power in the land. They haven't won much since. Leicester, by contrast, have never won anything of significance in their 134 year history.

Here are some bets you can place (legally in the UK, but not, apparently, in the US) with William Hill at odds of 5,000-1:

• Elvis is found alive.
• Yeti or Loch Ness Monster is proven to exist.
• Christmas is the warmest day of the year in England.
• Kanye West and Kim Kardashian name their next child Sinner.
• Kim Kardashian becomes the U.S. president in 2020.
• Barack Obama plays cricket for England after he leaves Oval Office.

When I was a teenager, standing on the Kop at Filbert Street, I used to wonder at the middle-aged guys around me who were so passionate about a game played by lads who were twenty or thirty years younger than they were. "But you're past it," I used to think. That was the arrogance of youth. Now, I understand things better. Our lives (as we get older) tend not to have too much which is magical about them. We are not (necessarily) disappointed. But we love a story.. a fairy tale... and this past thirty odd weeks has been a fairy tale, what ever the final outcome.

Go (as we say in America) Foxes!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There is no way I am reading all of that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Go (as we say in America) Foxes!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

This is not bad. Kinda sweet.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

This is not bad. Kinda sweet.

it's super cringy but I can't hate on a guy who discovers how awesome football is after being rewarded for decades of supporting a losing team

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Yeah I dont see any issue with that tbh

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Bovril Delight posted:

There is no way I am reading all of that

I did and it is (as we say in America) bad.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I read all of that. It was nice and not necessarily in the right thread.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

This controversial post is tearing us apart

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Healbot posted:

I read all of that. It was nice and not necessarily in the right thread.

Agree, seems a bit masturbatory but it's an oldish dude who grew up in England a long time ago and has been following his up until now shithouse team for decades.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Agree, seems a bit masturbatory but it's an oldish dude who grew up in England a long time ago and has been following his up until now shithouse team for decades.

Yeah, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I have my Verona flair for an absolute justified reason. I am a student of the classics, philosophy, and own a taste for literary criticism. Therefore, once I discovered the inspiration behind the "Hellas" prefix I fell in love with the club. Also, i have a taste for Shakespeare and as you may know a few of his works are staged in Verona. So honestly, it all made sense. I feel a connection with this club. I even ordered a jacket from the website with my initials JN7. :)