Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I don't see how that's functionally different than how they're currently playing in The Adventure Zone and it's basically what I meant exactly by facilitating instead of actually adding to gameplay v:shobon:v

it would help them to no longer be supporting the awful people behind D&D 5e but that's trad games drama no one here cares about but something that's always soured TAZ a bit for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Are they playing 5e? I thought they were on 4.

and don't worry I'm well aware of those people you don't have to go over it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

flatluigi posted:

Are they playing 5e? I thought they were on 4.

and don't worry I'm well aware of those people you don't have to go over it

They confirm they're playing 5 a few times in TTAZZ, and Travis and Griffin discuss the differences between the two a few times as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

flatluigi posted:

I don't see how that's functionally different than how they're currently playing in The Adventure Zone and it's basically what I meant exactly by facilitating instead of actually adding to gameplay v:shobon:v

Giving players power over their actions and explicitly establishing tone, themes and potential outcomes adds a lot to gameplay. You get more interesting results, better stories and more weight to decisions.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I think they could have a lot of fun with a FATE Core system, especially if they had it take place in a non-fantasy setting. (E.G. modern, superhero, or sci-fi.)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SpacePig posted:

They confirm they're playing 5 a few times in TTAZZ, and Travis and Griffin discuss the differences between the two a few times as well.

Griffin was on the official DnD podcast where he said the same thing. Moreover, he said he really loves 5e so I think all these discussions about changing systems is sort of in vain.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
They're also apparently getting sent free 5e poo poo from Wizards of the Coast, so yeah, probably no significant system changes in the near future.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mr Tastee posted:

I think they could have a lot of fun with a FATE Core system, especially if they had it take place in a non-fantasy setting. (E.G. modern, superhero, or sci-fi.)

Something like Atomic Robo or Spirit seems perfect for them.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Drunkboxer posted:

I like how they bleeped it out but it's super obvious what Clint's tattoo would be a 20 sided die, rolled 1 side up.

I was guessing something more specific, like Merle's arm, either original or the soulwood version.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
5E seems to me to be like a nice middleground between like, Pathfinder and Dungeon World, which I think helps give the show just a tiny bit of structure without constraining it.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
While we're shouting system names into the void, I think a Paranoia run would make a good block of episodes. Players knowing the rules is against the rules, the mechanics are simple, and (depending on the version) cheating is quietly encouraged.

I wouldn't want a campaign as long as the Grand Relics plot, but I think it could slot in well with how they already do things. Maybe a quick game as a future donor episode or something.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 18, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Oh poo poo. Paranoia would be really good, too.

I also just realized that Dread would be kinda perfect for them to do at a live show.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't care what system they use but now I'll be disappointed if they don't end up doing My Persona, My Persona and Me. I really wanna hear Justin try to make it through a day in high school while also solving a mystery using a character with skills such as Bullying, Microsoft Proficiency, and Euphonium.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm probably too excited that Griffin faved one of my Cool Games Inc pitches. But I'm like 3 degrees from Lin Manuel Miranda now, right?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

mikeycp posted:

Oh poo poo. Paranoia would be really good, too.

I also just realized that Dread would be kinda perfect for them to do at a live show.

Both at the same time, Paranoid Dread is a loving perfect mashup.

myron cope posted:

I know we're talking TAZ right now but I did want to make it clear that Lin-Manuel Miranda doing his greatjob stuff is incredible, it was specifically the podcast bit I didn't care for. It's not even that, I just think most everything else they've done recently has been better and for that to be the one thing that really seems to have stuck is weird. But part of that is also, I'm sure, that LMM is big on it.

I thought that whole new-horn goof was great, myself. Maybe not laughing out loud constantly, but I had the biggest grin all the way through the bit. My favorite part was Travis losing his poo poo over taxis honking their horns outside of houses instead of using a phone like a goddamned human being, though, because I have thought the same thing so many times.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2016

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I know we're talking TAZ right now but I did want to make it clear that Lin-Manuel Miranda doing his greatjob stuff is incredible, it was specifically the podcast bit I didn't care for. It's not even that, I just think most everything else they've done recently has been better and for that to be the one thing that really seems to have stuck is weird. But part of that is also, I'm sure, that LMM is big on it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's a quick and easy catchphrase to sneak into things and get famous people to say, it doesn't have to be funny, just functional.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Notgothic posted:

Both at the same time, Paranoid Dread is a loving perfect mashup.

That would be the most chaotic glorious thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For the people who've listened to The The Adventure Zone Zone and wanted a transcript of the summary at the end, you're in luck: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAdventureZone/comments/4b5ra7/i_transcribed_griffins_summary_of_the_series_so/

(spoilers for the entire run of TAZ if you're not caught up)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

You kids have to check out Tom Bodet's wiki page.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
While you're there, take a peek at the SiteGrinder page.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Coffee And Pie posted:

While you're there, take a peek at the SiteGrinder page.

Perfect.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

:pgabz: New MBMBaM :pgabz:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
So if I start donating how many episodes of mbmbam and taz am I getting? I kind of want to start but money is a little tight so I want to make sure I'm getting that good stuff

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
3 from TAZ, and what looks like 8 from MBMBaM, including MSMSaM, plus some other stuff.

e: Also, finally got around to listening to MSMSaM yesterday after basically forgetting it exists, and it's still pretty good even though none of them are 100% familiar with the format. You can basically tell which one each is married to by their senses of humor, it's sort of weird.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Neat! 10 was my magic number so perfect!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I seriously suggest checking out a few more shows on the network to get a bit more out of it as well. Don't check out the bonus episodes first, but check out, like Stop Podcasting Yourself or Judge John Hodgman, and then if you like them, check out their donor episodes. They're always worth it to me, and I'd probably donate more than $5 a month if I had a better job.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Am I going crazy or did they do the same backwards walking mailroom man question last week too?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I don't think so? Why would anyone think that? I feel like I would remember the goof

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2016

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

People are just weird I guess

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Just like Ghostbusters 2, going over the same material with less effort. :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Donor episodes from the McElroy Empire: 8 MBMBAM episodes plus Big Gulp Live and the demo of Ghost Horse sung by Lin-Manuel Miranda, three videos I haven't watched that are apparently MBMBAM-related, three The Adventure Zone episodes, three Sawbones episodes (one of which is actually the final episode of Losing the Sheen where they watch the bizarre series finale), two Bunker Buddies, one Shmanners, one Still Buffering, one Trends Like These, and one Can I Pet Your Dog

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The videos are an Austin live show and them doing MST3K style commentary over 1950s educational videos.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Oh thank god, I thought I was in a low rent version of the dead zone

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Motherfuckers are gaslighting us.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just listened to the new episode and I definitely didn't hear any repeated questions from last week. Did you maybe get a corrupted file?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Has griffin done songs before? Where to I go find them, the maximum fun drive song owned

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mae posted:

Has griffin done songs before? Where to I go find them, the maximum fun drive song owned

This is the only song you need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct4LMymXjZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mae posted:

For a while they would do ad-libbed(?) songs for the various sponsors, it's one of the vintage bits they brought back.

I would start with https://www.griffinspacejam.com.

Edit: son of a