Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda is there and has a cute factory tour. Maybe try to go to a Carps game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Please don't mis-pluralize Carp, it is very upsetting

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If you head down to Itsukushima/Miyajima, be sure to climb up Mt. Misen. If you're lazy, take the cable car up (and down) and enjoy the view. Also, be prepared to eat a lot. The shopping arcade there is full of good food, including oysters. If you're not picky about eating oysters, you're gonna love the Hiroshima oysters.

Okonomimura is a must visit place, that place defines mom'n'pop -shops. They offer, Okonomiyaki, what else?

The Shukkeien Gardens are also a nice place to visit. Cute little plants and the largest Carps I've ever seen.

A little known place in the prefecture is Okunoshima a.k.a. the Rabbit Island. A former poison gas R&D site, now populated by hundreds of cute rabbits.

If you want to hang with a goon, we can work something out.

Also, Sanfrecce games are da bomb if you like soccer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can I hang out with a goon when I'm in Hiroshima?

I think I'm town on the 27th overnight, hitting up Mazda in the am on the 28th.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm out of town starting next week and won't be back until the 5th of april :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hey everyone, me and two friends are going to China and Japan in late June to late July. We're spending three weeks in Japan, and while all our flights are booked and I'm currently looking at hotels, I've had some difficulty estimating how much time we'll spend in each city, and what to actually do there. If anyone has recommendations or some form of "you really do not need four days to see Kyoto if you're sick of temples after your first day" then I'd appreciate it! We'll be using a Japan Railpass so I think sidetrips are really easy to throw in here and there on the fly.

- Arrive in Tokyo Narita on the 29th of June, stay until the 6th of July. I'm guessing we can improvise lots of side trips if we run out of stuff to do in Tokyo.
- From the 6th until the 8th at Hakone. We're staying at a Ryokan because it sounds cool and I got a 50% off on some three stars ryokan there.
- 8th and 9th in kawaguchi. The trains from Hakone to there seem like some serious bullshit so I think we'll take the bus through gotenba. Would it be feasible to leave Hakone on the early 8th, bus to our Bed and Breakfast in Kawaguchi, and then take the same bus back to Fuji Q to spend the rest of the 8th there?
- From the 9th until the 13th, we'd be in Kyoto. I'm not sure if this is too long but I thought about doing sidetrips to Nara and Kobe from there.
- From the 13th until the 15th, we'd be in Onomichi. We intend to bike around there, even do the bridges to Imabari and back on the 14th. Would this be feasible in a day?
- 15th and 16th we'd be in Hiroshima
- From the 16th to the 19th we'd be in Osaka
- Finally, on the 19th, take the train from Osaka ro Tokyo for our flight back.

Does all of this seem reasonable? I'm having a mighty hard time finding decently priced hotels in Kyoto but I should check out airBNB, but I don't want to commit to something without free cancellation until I'm certain of the days I'll spend in each city.

Is there anything in or near the places I've listed that you consider a must-see, or a trap to avoid? My friends and I are interested in a variety of things, and we'd like to just explore cities at our own leasure. I'm mostly worried about my friends getting burnt out on temples in between meals, especially in Kyoto.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 17, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for good hiking trails up north near Sendai / Hokkaido area? I wouldn't mind over around the Nagano / Kanazawa area either. Ill be in Japan for 2 weeks at the end of the month with a rail pass so I want check out some cool hiking spots around there. Seems like a lot of the places I want to go to are closed due to weather according to this website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 17, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jake Soo posted:

If you head down to Itsukushima/Miyajima, be sure to climb up Mt. Misen. If you're lazy, take the cable car up (and down) and enjoy the view. Also, be prepared to eat a lot. The shopping arcade there is full of good food, including oysters. If you're not picky about eating oysters, you're gonna love the Hiroshima oysters.

Okonomimura is a must visit place, that place defines mom'n'pop -shops. They offer, Okonomiyaki, what else?

The Shukkeien Gardens are also a nice place to visit. Cute little plants and the largest Carps I've ever seen.

A little known place in the prefecture is Okunoshima a.k.a. the Rabbit Island. A former poison gas R&D site, now populated by hundreds of cute rabbits.

If you want to hang with a goon, we can work something out.

Also, Sanfrecce games are da bomb if you like soccer.

Thanks a lot, that's super helpful. If I do make it down to Hiroshima, I will definitely give you a heads up.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Busy Bee posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good hiking trails up north near Sendai / Hokkaido area? I wouldn't mind over around the Nagano / Kanazawa area either. Ill be in Japan for 2 weeks at the end of the month with a rail pass so I want check out some cool hiking spots around there. Seems like a lot of the places I want to go to are closed due to weather according to this website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

The Sendai/Hokkaido area you are talking of is extremely large with many many hiking trails. You'd have to probably give more details on what you're looking for. In fact, I'd split according to Tohoku vs Hokkaido, and beyond that, specifically what prefecture you are looking for, how middle of nowhere, whether you like the ocean or mountains more, etc. etc.

It's like asking, "Do you know any good hiking trails on the West coast of the US?"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

From the 13th until the 15th, we'd be in Onomichi. We intend to bike around there, even do the bridges to Imabari and back on the 14th. Would this be feasible in a day?

You won't be able to do a round-trip Onomichi-Imabari in one day (the bike road is 70km one way), but you can faff about on the islands closest to Onomichi.

Everyone please go to a Carp home game.

Don't spend your last day rushing towards the airport. Get back to Tokyo a day earlier to finish shopping, repacking, and always double check your flight time 24 hours in advance.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

extravadanza posted:

Even more surprising when I see employees clock out, only to return to their desks and continue working off the clock. Really, a lot of the people I'm working with over here are very hard workers, but boy do they sweat the small stuff sometimes.

Don't work like the natives if you can help it. Put in your 8 or 9 w/ lunch and go home/back to your hotel.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

peanut posted:

You won't be able to do a round-trip Onomichi-Imabari in one day (the bike road is 70km one way), but you can faff about on the islands closest to Onomichi.

Everyone please go to a Carp home game.

Don't spend your last day rushing towards the airport. Get back to Tokyo a day earlier to finish shopping, repacking, and always double check your flight time 24 hours in advance.

Our flight is actually the 20th in the afternoon, forgot to mention we're already doing that!

As for the Shimanami Kaido, I heard you can do it in three hours or so. Our plan was to start around 8 in the morning, have lunch in Imabari, relax there and bike back. How long do you reckon a one-way trip takes? We could also take a ferry to Imabari and bike back, or do it the other way around and take a ferry from Imabari back to Onomichi.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 18, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

I'm mostly worried about my friends getting burnt out on temples in between meals, especially in Kyoto.
It really depends on what aspect of the temple and shrine viewing experience you might find "boring". If it's the whole viewing old architecture and religious things in general then yeah, you might want to cut your trip to Kyoto short by a day.

However, I've lived in Kyoto for a couple of months and did the whole temple and shrine viewing experience and I would say that there is a whole lot of variety in the main tourist temple/shrines. You won't be viewing the same thing over and over and each place is very unique.

Kinkakuji, Fushimi Inari, Ryoanji, Ninnanji, Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Hongan-ji all have their own uniqueness and each one is a whole different experience. They all have something that you won't be able to see and Ryoanji and Ninnanji are less temples and more beautiful gardens.

Other than temples, Kyoto also has the really cool castle in the middle of the city (Nijou-jo), the Imperial Palace, and hiking up the Daimonji mountain is fun and it gives you a great view of the entire city. Arashiyama is also a really nice.

One thing you should think about is that in July, Kyoto is super humid and it will be like 40 degrees Celsius so you probably won't be able to do as much as you want to in one day since you will be exhausted from the heat. It's also on the crowded side with tourists (especially Chinese and Korean tour buses) which will eat some of your time.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrHt3ZbQBs

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zettace posted:

It really depends on what aspect of the temple and shrine viewing experience you might find "boring". If it's the whole viewing old architecture and religious things in general then yeah, you might want to cut your trip to Kyoto short by a day.

However, I've lived in Kyoto for a couple of months and did the whole temple and shrine viewing experience and I would say that there is a whole lot of variety in the main tourist temple/shrines. You won't be viewing the same thing over and over and each place is very unique.

Kinkakuji, Fushimi Inari, Ryoanji, Ninnanji, Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Hongan-ji all have their own uniqueness and each one is a whole different experience. They all have something that you won't be able to see and Ryoanji and Ninnanji are less temples and more beautiful gardens.

Other than temples, Kyoto also has the really cool castle in the middle of the city (Nijou-jo), the Imperial Palace, and hiking up the Daimonji mountain is fun and it gives you a great view of the entire city. Arashiyama is also a really nice.

One thing you should think about is that in July, Kyoto is super humid and it will be like 40 degrees Celsius so you probably won't be able to do as much as you want to in one day since you will be exhausted from the heat. It's also on the crowded side with tourists (especially Chinese and Korean tour buses) which will eat some of your time.

Thanks for all the info! It's nice to know the temples are different enough. The castle and palace were on our to-do list as well.

Any hidden gems you'd recommend? Even things like a particularly neat-looking game center, a street full of mom and pop stores, some neat bars to have drinks at night, stuff like that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Hey everyone, me and two friends are going to China and Japan in late June to late July. We're spending three weeks in Japan, and while all our flights are booked and I'm currently looking at hotels, I've had some difficulty estimating how much time we'll spend in each city, and what to actually do there. If anyone has recommendations or some form of "you really do not need four days to see Kyoto if you're sick of temples after your first day" then I'd appreciate it! We'll be using a Japan Railpass so I think sidetrips are really easy to throw in here and there on the fly.

- Arrive in Tokyo Narita on the 29th of June, stay until the 6th of July. I'm guessing we can improvise lots of side trips if we run out of stuff to do in Tokyo.
- From the 6th until the 8th at Hakone. We're staying at a Ryokan because it sounds cool and I got a 50% off on some three stars ryokan there.
- 8th and 9th in kawaguchi. The trains from Hakone to there seem like some serious bullshit so I think we'll take the bus through gotenba. Would it be feasible to leave Hakone on the early 8th, bus to our Bed and Breakfast in Kawaguchi, and then take the same bus back to Fuji Q to spend the rest of the 8th there?
- From the 9th until the 13th, we'd be in Kyoto. I'm not sure if this is too long but I thought about doing sidetrips to Nara and Kobe from there.
- From the 13th until the 15th, we'd be in Onomichi. We intend to bike around there, even do the bridges to Imabari and back on the 14th. Would this be feasible in a day?

Does all of this seem reasonable? I'm having a mighty hard time finding decently priced hotels in Kyoto but I should check out airBNB, but I don't want to commit to something without free cancellation until I'm certain of the days I'll spend in each city.

Is there anything in or near the places I've listed that you consider a must-see, or a trap to avoid? My friends and I are interested in a variety of things, and we'd like to just explore cities at our own leasure. I'm mostly worried about my friends getting burnt out on temples in between meals, especially in Kyoto.

If you just like exploring you'll never run out if things to do in Tokyo. I've been here for 18 months all together and I still sometimes grab my camera and spend an afternoon looking for cool poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Our flight is actually the 20th in the afternoon, forgot to mention we're already doing that!

As for the Shimanami Kaido, I heard you can do it in three hours or so. Our plan was to start around 8 in the morning, have lunch in Imabari, relax there and bike back. How long do you reckon a one-way trip takes? We could also take a ferry to Imabari and bike back, or do it the other way around and take a ferry from Imabari back to Onomichi.

http://www.go-shimanami.jp/sp/cycling/model/

Distance: 70km

Times:
Pro 3 hours
Fast 4-5 hours
Regular 5-6 hours
Slow 8-10 hours

Bike rentals:
April-September 8am-8pm
October-March 8am-5pm

Don't count on frequent ferries.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also sheesh July please keep your passports with you so the coast guard can ID your wilted corpses

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

peanut posted:

http://www.go-shimanami.jp/sp/cycling/model/

Distance: 70km

Times:
Pro 3 hours
Fast 4-5 hours
Regular 5-6 hours
Slow 8-10 hours

Bike rentals:
April-September 8am-8pm
October-March 8am-5pm

Don't count on frequent ferries.

Okay, so 3 hours if you regularly do a tour de France. Got it. I'll count 6 hours for our trip. You're right about the ferries. I suppose you can't take a bike with you on the bus? If not, it might be better to hire one of the bikes at the start of the shimanami and drop them off in Imabari.

Thanks!

peanut posted:

Also sheesh July please keep your passports with you so the coast guard can ID your wilted corpses

That was our plan!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks for all the info! It's nice to know the temples are different enough. The castle and palace were on our to-do list as well.

Any hidden gems you'd recommend? Even things like a particularly neat-looking game center, a street full of mom and pop stores, some neat bars to have drinks at night, stuff like that?

Best thing you can do in Kyoto is rent a bicycle and ride everywhere. Some places might be a bit difficult to get to but you will see so much that it all seems amazing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ntan1 posted:

The Sendai/Hokkaido area you are talking of is extremely large with many many hiking trails. You'd have to probably give more details on what you're looking for. In fact, I'd split according to Tohoku vs Hokkaido, and beyond that, specifically what prefecture you are looking for, how middle of nowhere, whether you like the ocean or mountains more, etc. etc.

It's like asking, "Do you know any good hiking trails on the West coast of the US?"

Sorry about that. I would prefer hiking trails in places accessible by train. I have a rail pass and planning on seeing some friends up in Sendai / Sapporo area so I want to take a few days and get a hotel room somewhere and go hiking. I prefer mountain trails to ocean but I'm okay with both. I know that 85% of Japan is covered in mountains so I probably won't have any trouble finding any trails but I am a little worried about the weather up north.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Literally everything in this film is still true.

The Japanese are basically the same.

Foreigners, try not to be a huge loving douche (copyright 1957)

Everyone gets to have fun and perhaps sexy times.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Busy Bee posted:

Sorry about that. I would prefer hiking trails in places accessible by train. I have a rail pass and planning on seeing some friends up in Sendai / Sapporo area so I want to take a few days and get a hotel room somewhere and go hiking. I prefer mountain trails to ocean but I'm okay with both. I know that 85% of Japan is covered in mountains so I probably won't have any trouble finding any trails but I am a little worried about the weather up north.

What timeframe? In summer, spring, and fall, Hokkaido is a good area to hike in general. Anywhere in the Daisetsuzan, Shiretoko, Rishiri, etc. Tohoku is close to the same.

Oh am i kidding there is a guide to this. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ntan1 posted:

What timeframe? In summer, spring, and fall, Hokkaido is a good area to hike in general. Anywhere in the Daisetsuzan, Shiretoko, Rishiri, etc. Tohoku is close to the same.

Oh am i kidding there is a guide to this. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

I linked to that guide in my original post but it seems like all the hiking spots are only open during the Summer - Autumn months. I will be there at the end of this month so I am worried about the weather.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

If you've never seen a Japanese game center then there's a Round 1 in Kyoto but Round 1s are in every major city and I think Tokyo might have a better selection of cool game centers.

Teramachi is an entire shopping district of small stores and it's worth checking out. It's also right beside the "downtown section" of Kyoto (Sanjo-Shijo) where lots of bars and karaoke places are located.

I was a student when I was in Kyoto so I only really went to the cheaper bars but if you're interested. Bar moon walk was one of my favorite bars. It's a chain with about ~20 stores across Japan and Kyoto has 4 stores iirc. I believe I went to the one at Sanjo. It's a tiny, tiny bar (can probably only fit like 8 people at a time) but it was heavily decorated and it's also really cheap (400yen cover charge + 200 per drink). It's also on the second floor of some unlabeled building and the only think that would tell you that it's there is a sandwich board sign pointing in to this shady hallway.

Torikizoku was also one of my go Izakayas. The food is tasty and a cheap place to eat and get drunk; the perfect place for a University student. It's also a chain so there's a couple of stores around Kyoto.

Also, Karaoke places are also all you can drink places and if you get the all night package you can stay from like 11 until 5am singing and drinking for like 2500yen/person if that's your thing.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 18, 2016

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

Just a general overview here, I didn't count your last day listed for each since I assume you devote that morning to travel to the next:
Tokyo: 7 days
Hakone: 2 days
Kawaguchi-ko: 1 day
Kyoto/Nara/Kobe: 4 days
Onomichi: 2 days
Hiroshima: 1 day
Osaka: 3 days

So total 20 days?

I would revise as follows:
Kawaguchi-ko: 2 days
Kyoto/Nara: 3 days
Osaka/Kobe/Himeji: 3 days
Onomichi: 1 day
Hiroshima: 2 days

Just some recommendations from me:
-Make your side trip to Kobe from Osaka, rather than Kyoto.
-Spend a bit more time in Kawaguchi-ko, it has more to offer besides FujiQ (and besides the suicide forest)
-Forget the bus, unless your B&B in Kawaguchi-ko is super far, just take a cab from your hotel to FujiQ. Everything there is fairly close by, assuming it's somewhere near/around the actual Kawaguchi lake.
-While in Kobe, go here after dark.
-Spend three days in Kyoto, tops, where one of those days is a sidetrip to Nara. Unless you make a point of finding what's unique about every temple/shrine, they will all start to look the same. It's a completely legit concern and the reason that when my family came we only spent 1 day in Kyoto and 1 day in Nara (of course we also did Kamakura so yeah).
-I don't know anything about biking but two days in Onomichi seems like too much. There isn't much to do there besides maybe walking up some of the hills and a few temples which don't really compare to anything you will have already seen in Kyoto/Nara. (I lived right next to Onomichi for a year)
-If Osaka Castle was in your plans, cut that poo poo out and go to a real castle instead. I gave you a day for Himeji in the above itinerary. Consider spending the night in Himeji since it's on the way to Onomichi anyway.
-Go to Osaka immediately after Kyoto/Nara because you'll probably be desperate for an actual city with tall buildings and neon lights and stuff

Have fun!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
In retrospect, you probably should lump your stay in Kyoto with the one in Osaka. They're only like 30mins apart by train and if you wanted to stay longer in one city or cut the trip short to move on to the next city it wouldn't be a big deal.

And Kyoto does have a lot of repetitive temples and shrines but the big main ones are nothing alike and you do not have to actively search for how they're different at all. Hiking up a mountain through thousands of torii is a whole different experience from the Zen Garden at Ryoanji or the sheer impact of Sanjusangendo.

By the way, under no circumstances should you ever visit the zoo in Kyoto or any zoo in Japan for that matter unless you want to be depressed.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 19, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Zettace posted:

If you've never seen a Japanese game center then there's a Round 1 in Kyoto but Round 1s are in every major city and I think Tokyo might have a better selection of cool game centers.

Teramachi is an entire shopping district of small stores and it's worth checking out. It's also right beside the "downtown section" of Kyoto (Sanjo-Shijo) where lots of bars and karaoke places are located.

I was a student when I was in Kyoto so I only really went to the cheaper bars but if you're interested. Bar moon walk was one of my favorite bars. It's a chain with about ~20 stores across Japan and Kyoto has 4 stores iirc. I believe I went to the one at Sanjo. It's a tiny, tiny bar (can probably only fit like 8 people at a time) but it was heavily decorated and it's also really cheap (400yen cover charge + 200 per drink). It's also on the second floor of some unlabeled building and the only think that would tell you that it's there is a sandwich board sign pointing in to this shady hallway.

Torikizoku was also one of my go Izakayas. The food is tasty and a cheap place to eat and get drunk; the perfect place for a University student. It's also a chain so there's a couple of stores around Kyoto.

Also, Karaoke places are also all you can drink places and if you get the all night package you can stay from like 11 until 5am singing and drinking for like 2500yen/person if that's your thing.

Seconding all this. There's a lot more to Kyoto than shrines and temples.

I'll add that it's a beautiful city in general, and a great place to wander around if you're into soaking up the mood of a city. I am a fan, but there's nothing wrong if you're the sightseeing-checklist type either. :)

Also, Nishiki Market is pretty famous shopping area for all sorts of food stuff. I didn't spend much time there but there's a huge array of items. Just window shopping was fun.

Kyoto is known for their tofu and vegetables (pickled or fresh). There are restaurants devoted to tofu that have a variety of kinds available. Seriously, the tofu is magical. I miss it so much.. some of them I can't even find in the US. I'd have to make it myself!

My suggestion is Togaden. High quality and very affordable. Everything my friends and I have had has been wonderful.

Okay sorry for sperging out I frickin love food.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
What other places in Kyoto would you recommend checking out (food wise)

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Why do European tourists wear so much loving perfume?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TWSS posted:

Why do European tourists wear so much loving perfume?

That's not perfume :wink:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ned posted:

Best thing you can do in Kyoto is rent a bicycle and ride everywhere. Some places might be a bit difficult to get to but you will see so much that it all seems amazing.

That was our plan, yes. I'm glad that a lot of Japanese cities seem as bike friendly as Europe. I don't think I could handle the American style of roads and city planning on a trip like this one.

Zettace posted:

Thanks! That all sounds really cool.

zmcnulty posted:

Just a general overview here, I didn't count your last day listed for each since I assume you devote that morning to travel to the next:
Kawaguchi-ko: 1 day
Kyoto/Nara/Kobe: 4 days
Onomichi: 2 days
Hiroshima: 1 day
Osaka: 3 days

So total 20 days?

I would revise as follows:
Kawaguchi-ko: 2 days
Kyoto/Nara: 3 days
Osaka/Kobe/Himeji: 3 days
Onomichi: 1 day
Hiroshima: 2 days

Just some recommendations from me:
-Make your side trip to Kobe from Osaka, rather than Kyoto.
-Spend a bit more time in Kawaguchi-ko, it has more to offer besides FujiQ (and besides the suicide forest)
-Forget the bus, unless your B&B in Kawaguchi-ko is super far, just take a cab from your hotel to FujiQ. Everything there is fairly close by, assuming it's somewhere near/around the actual Kawaguchi lake.
-While in Kobe, go here after dark.
-Spend three days in Kyoto, tops, where one of those days is a sidetrip to Nara. Unless you make a point of finding what's unique about every temple/shrine, they will all start to look the same. It's a completely legit concern and the reason that when my family came we only spent 1 day in Kyoto and 1 day in Nara (of course we also did Kamakura so yeah).
-I don't know anything about biking but two days in Onomichi seems like too much. There isn't much to do there besides maybe walking up some of the hills and a few temples which don't really compare to anything you will have already seen in Kyoto/Nara. (I lived right next to Onomichi for a year)
-If Osaka Castle was in your plans, cut that poo poo out and go to a real castle instead. I gave you a day for Himeji in the above itinerary. Consider spending the night in Himeji since it's on the way to Onomichi anyway.
-Go to Osaka immediately after Kyoto/Nara because you'll probably be desperate for an actual city with tall buildings and neon lights and stuff

Have fun!

Close! We're only staying one day in Onomichi so we can bike there. The day we arrive we will leave Kyoto in the afternoon or so, so we can enjoy a small visit to night time Onomichi, and we'll leave early on the day after the biking. Same with Kawaguchi-ko: we'd leave in the afternoon so we have about two days there.

The B&B is 5 minutes from the train station, right next to the lake. Wouldn't a cab be expensive to fuji-q? That said, two Japanese friends visited me this weekend and told me there's shuttles from Tokyo to Fuji-q. Would that be a better idea, so we can spend two full days in kawaguchi? We'll also be in Kawaguchi in the week-end, and they said fuji-q might get crowded then, even outside of the summer break in Japan.

As for your other notes, duly noted. Any particular reason why you'd go to Nara and Himeji from Osaka rather than Kyoto?

Zettace posted:

In retrospect, you probably should lump your stay in Kyoto with the one in Osaka. They're only like 30mins apart by train and if you wanted to stay longer in one city or cut the trip short to move on to the next city it wouldn't be a big deal.

And Kyoto does have a lot of repetitive temples and shrines but the big main ones are nothing alike and you do not have to actively search for how they're different at all. Hiking up a mountain through thousands of torii is a whole different experience from the Zen Garden at Ryoanji or the sheer impact of Sanjusangendo.

By the way, under no circumstances should you ever visit the zoo in Kyoto or any zoo in Japan for that matter unless you want to be depressed.

We weren't planning on visiting any kind of zoos. I'm not sure about lumping them together; we wanted to be in both Kyoto and Osaka in the weekends so some friends of ours could visit us and get drunk. But now I'm thinking, if we get burned out on Kyoto, we could hop on the train for a sneak peak at next week's Osaka.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Seconding all this. There's a lot more to Kyoto than shrines and temples.

I'll add that it's a beautiful city in general, and a great place to wander around if you're into soaking up the mood of a city. I am a fan, but there's nothing wrong if you're the sightseeing-checklist type either. :)

Also, Nishiki Market is pretty famous shopping area for all sorts of food stuff. I didn't spend much time there but there's a huge array of items. Just window shopping was fun.

Kyoto is known for their tofu and vegetables (pickled or fresh). There are restaurants devoted to tofu that have a variety of kinds available. Seriously, the tofu is magical. I miss it so much.. some of them I can't even find in the US. I'd have to make it myself!

My suggestion is Togaden. High quality and very affordable. Everything my friends and I have had has been wonderful.

Okay sorry for sperging out I frickin love food.

Yeah, we prefer wandering and discovering over the sightseeing checklist. Of course we'll make sure to pass by the cool stuff, but our plans mostly involve "get on a bike, ride around, see cool stuff as we go.

I'll be sure to try out the tofu!

Thanks!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Shadowhand00 posted:

What other places in Kyoto would you recommend checking out (food wise)

Generally everything I suggest is going to be in the low-to-mid price range because I'm a broke rear end student, but other posters can probably help you out if you want something more expensive. Honestly, there's so much affordable good food (especially lunch!) that I didn't feel deprived or like I was eating junk at all. Kyoto has an abundance of cute, cozy cafes too.

Okay, I have a big write up on vegetarian/vegan places that are all delicious even if you eat meat, so I'll stick those in first. I was vegetarian at the time, but have eaten meat my whole life and definitely didn't have that "I've deluded myself into thinking tempeh tastes the same as meat" palate thing going on. I think that substitutions are something that can be enjoyed in their own right, although a few of these did taste surprisingly like the real thing.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I found most of the restaurants through happycow.net, but I'm just gonna talk about the places I've been to. Dunno how strict you are on fish. I didn't worry about it because Japan, so some of these places might have fish products.. I'll make a note of it if I remember.

My favorite restaurant, hands down, is Sujata. It's close to Kyoto University and run by this sweet Buddhist granny. I've only had the Japanese lunch set (changes from day-to-day), so I can't comment on the Indian fare, but her Japanese food is vegan and incredibly satisfying. Since she runs the place herself, it can take a while to get your food sometimes, but the atmosphere is so calming that even when I'm starving I didn't mind waiting. http://www.sujata-cafe.com/

Falafel Garden is also really great. It's a little north of Demachiyanagi Station. It's located in a two-story machiya house with outside seating out back. The second floor has a little balcony with one table that looks over the Eizan trains coming in. The menus clearly mark what is vegetarian and vegan, with only a few meat options. I thiiiink the menu has English as well, but I can't remember for sure. I've had all of the vegetarian pitas and the baba ganoush is my favorite. Also, pita fries! The pita fries!! Crispy wedges of heaven! I think my only complaint is the first time I came here, I was confused because the staff don't acknowledge you or tell you where to sit when you first come in. They're pretty hands off in general-- if you want to refill your water there's an pitcher just kind of hanging out near the stairs that I wasn't sure I was allowed to use at first. Once I got a feel for the place it was fine, though. http://www.falafelgarden.com/

Mumokuteki in Teramachi is vegan, but I think they use dashi. The majority of their dishes are variations of mock meat, but every one I tried was tasty as heck (aside from this weird fukusai all the dishes had that were little honeyed tomatoes). They also have vegan desserts which are more health-focused than flat out diary-free sweets. The parfait I had was kind of granola-y instead of the typical sugary Japanese parfait. Not bad at all, especially if you're looking for something not too overwhelming. This place is definitely more trendy than most vegetarian restaurants I've been to. It's packed with cute girls and the menu advertises how diet-friendly the desserts are. There's also an attached goods store although I haven't really checked it out. The location can be awkward to get to. If you're walking in Teramachi, you're approaching the backside of the store. There's a little glass case with plastic models of some of their dishes, but you have to enter the clothing store next to it and go up the stairs on the right to access the restaurant. From there you have to walk all the way down to the counter to request a seat. The entrance is at the road on the OTHER side of Teramachi, but less people wander around that side so I figure I'd give directions from the back. http://www.mumokuteki.com/cafe/

Biotei in Karasuma Sanjo serves meat but is vegetarian/vegan accommodating. Super friendly staff, chef double-checked in English what I could/couldn't eat and made me something tasty on the spot. When I was paying the staff asked me a bunch of questions about myself. I misunderstood the keigo and I accidentally told them I was going to be in Kyoto for a year when I meant I had been there for a year. :gonk: They got super excited and asked me to visit often! But I had to leave next week. :( Anyway. Very kind people, great food. http://www.organickyoto.com/biotei/

I actually heard about Morpho Cafe from one of my Japanese teachers. It's a vegan cafe in this cute little neighborhood west of the Imperial Palace. I've only eaten there once, but the lunch set featured a huge salad (seriously, huge!!) and a lot of cute little tiny dishes. Everything was delicious and it was honestly hard to finish it all. http://www.morphocafe.com/

The tofu restaurant I mentioned in my previous post is also vegetarian, possibly vegan. The tofu cheesecake is sooooo good. :h: http://www.sanjo-togaden.com/

Also, no idea if it's vegan but I'm guessing it is, Kyozuan at Fushimi Inari makes this soy milk soft serve that is just.. magical. It has a fluffy, silky texture that I've never experienced before. They also sell soy milk donuts but I haven't tried them. There's also a location in Arashiyama. http://kyozuan.fc2web.com/

I'm trying to remember if there's anything else, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll add more if anything comes to me.

edit: How could I forget! Mamezen! Soy milk ramen that's a lot more delicious than you'd think. The guy running the place was friendly and we chatted for a long time. He can speak a little English but mostly we stuck with Japanese. It's advertised as vegan but his stock uses dashi and some are garnished with katsuobushi. The restaurant is in a neighborhood off of Kita Oji Dori (north of Shimogamo Shrine) and has an intriguing atmosphere. It looks like a nice house but there's a lantern that says ramen out front, I believe. Anyway, beautiful space. Delicious ramen. http://www.mamezen.com/

Like seriously that tofu soft serve. I'm dying thinking about it.

If you want amazing takoyaki, hit up Takotora! Seriously the best I've ever had and I believe they're only in Kyoto. Huge and crispy on the outside, gooey with a generous chunk of octopus on the inside.. what's not to love?

Main store: Intersection of Kitaooji and Takano, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市左京区北大路高野交差点上ル西側)
Shichijo store: 20-18, Nishikyogoku, Daimon town, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市右京区西京極大門町20-18)
Kamishichiken store: Imadegawadori Nanahonmatsu Nishi Iru Kamigyō-Ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市上京区今出川通七本松西入真盛町726-40)

There's a little mom and pop restaurant near Ginkakuji called Daigin. Great, affordable lunch sets that have huge portions. (I prefer ordering one item. It usually comes with a few teeny sides, while an actual set is.. more sides and hard to finish.) The staff are used to having foreign students so even though they can't speak English, they're still good at working through the language barrier. Yakiudon is my favorite. Sliced beef and udon fried in a teriyaki sauce with green onions and shredded nori on top. So good! The yakiudon doesn't come with any sides but it's always filled me up. Hard to beat at only 500 yen! I found a site that has a write up and directions to get there. Not sure how old the post is, but the menu at Daigin is changing all the time so I wouldn't rely on the menu section too much.

http://happy-travelling.com/shop/daigin/

Ichijoji famous for its ramen. There's a street that's packed with shops and the competition is intense, meaning lots of awesome ramen for us! This site gives you locations and a little review of some of the more famous shops. I love Kyoto-style ramen. It's thick, creamy, and depending on where you go, pretty garlic-y as well. It's made with chicken bones instead of pork, giving it its own distinct flavor from tonkotsu. I really wish I could find it in the US. :(

http://www.howtokyoto.com/things_to_do/1197.html

There is also a ramen chain that has a location in Ichijoji. They make a spicy ramen that does NOT gently caress around. It goes on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being the hottest. I have Thai friends that couldn't eat past level 4. If you know anything about Thai food.. yeah. I loved to go there and melt my face off on occasion. It's not just some hothead gimmick; it actually tastes good and the heat is part of the enjoyment.

Link for all locations in Kyoto
http://www.rairaitei.co.jp/store/kinki/kyoto.html

This is the one in Ichijoji
http://hitosara.com/0004024388/

Alright! That's probably more than enough. :) Sorry I get carried away with this stuff.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ A+. I'm linking your post in the op. Japan is a difficult place to be vegetarian.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Deltasquid posted:

I'm glad that a lot of Japanese cities seem as bike friendly as Europe.

I'm not sure where you got that from, but I hope you're not easily disappointed.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, bikes are a popular mode of transportation but there's very little actual bike infrastructure. The only real difference between Japan and NA in regards to bikes in my opinion is that drivers won't be actively trying to kill you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's more that bicycle riders try to kill pedestrians.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's more that bicycle riders try to kill pedestrians.

That's always the case with cyclists though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

netcat posted:

That's always the case with cyclists though.

Never felt more in danger from rogue old ladies on bicycles than I have in Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Never felt more in danger from rogue old ladies on bicycles than I have in Tokyo.

Is it illegal to ride on the road with a bike in Japan?