Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

uncurable mlady posted:

Infinite Hitlers on Infinite Earths

Imagine four hitlers at the top of a cliff, and a perfect copy of hitler appears and pushed the last one off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this civil war will never not be entertaining

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Anyone predicting that Trump would do what he's done was guessing, and they were making a very bad guess.

Patter Song posted:

So...according to Nate Silver, the guy who is leading the GOP primary in national polls by double digits, has leads in early states and later states in polls, has infinite money to draw on, and is running against a field of drooling inbreds has a 2% chance at his nomination.

A guy who is behind by 20% nationally, down by a similar margin in Iowa and maybe sort of tied in New Hampshire depending on the poll you listen to, has no support in later states besides maybe his home state of Vermont and a few others, has a low budget campaign and is running against a former First Lady/Senator/Secretary of State has a 5% chance at his nomination.

I don't understand Nate Silver these days.

Patter Song posted:

I'm well aware of the other factors Nate Silver uses, I've been reading his site regularly since March of 2008. Nate Silver is arrogant and overconfident these days and his record seriously isn't as good as people say it is (he completely miscalled Congress in 2010, has a terrible record on governor races, and does amazingly poorly at any international election he writes about). He is resting on his laurels from the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, both of which there were plenty of other commentators who did just as well as he did at predicting election returns (with 2012 you could literally copy out the polling average for 49 states and flip a coin for Florida and have a 50% chance of tying Nate Silver).

Silver is in willful denial over Trump because Trump isn't part of his worldview.

August 23rd, 2015.

Please don't start this "No one could've predicted Trump!" nonsense, plenty of us did.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

uncurable mlady posted:

Infinite Hitlers on Infinite Earths

Infinite Constitutional Crisis

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Patter Song posted:

August 23rd, 2015.

Please don't start this "No one could've predicted Trump!" nonsense, plenty of us did.

Get ready to hear it a lot. Many of the political pundits are embarrassed and this is their way of saving face.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Trump realizes the media is out of material and specifically scheduled this rally to do SOMETHING to own the cycle that'll blow over by Monday. He simply can't help himself.

Last week we got a riot, what's the twist tonight?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Get ready to hear it a lot. Many of the political pundits are embarrassed and this is their way of saving face.

He might not be a full hitler yet but he's now passed an important gate for being an Iraq War

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New Kasich ad airing in Utah features man who told everyone today they should not vote for Kasich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DCWsYc7tc

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He might not be a full hitler yet but he's now passed an important gate for being an Iraq War

....what?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Patter Song posted:

August 23rd, 2015.

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of us here were taking Trump pretty seriously after he survived his scrutiny phase which was undeniable right around August

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Necc0 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of us here were taking Trump pretty seriously after he survived his scrutiny phase which was undeniable right around August

At "Only Rosie O'Donnell" I think it was clear we were in for something new. That raucous crowd was a huge, huge boon. Imagine a silent audience for that line.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"Nobody could possibly have predicted that the war in Iraq was going to be a huge clusterfuck and in the end they didn't even have WMDs just like all the WMD inspectors said"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Oiled and Ready posted:

Trump realizes the media is out of material and specifically scheduled this rally to do SOMETHING to own the cycle that'll blow over by Monday. He simply can't help himself.

Last week we got a riot, what's the twist tonight?

ben carson v chris christie deathmatch to determine the ultimate subservient lackey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oiled and Ready posted:

At "Only Rosie O'Donnell" I think it was clear we were in for something new. That raucous crowd was a huge, huge boon. Imagine a silent audience for that line.

see thats what will be interesting in the general debates. I doubt he is going to get the same crowd reactions and presidential debates are big poo poo. he will get called on poo poo and might not be able to dodge.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Regardless of how many people predicted Trump last summer, I really am hesitant to mock the various pundits who were skeptical of his rise. I mean, none of this loving election has made any sense if you go by past data. Sure, some of them probably should've been less skeptical, say, around December or January, but I can understand why they weren't.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Nichael posted:

Regardless of how many people predicted Trump last summer, I really am hesitant to mock the various pundits who were skeptical of his rise. I mean, none of this loving election has made any sense if you go by past data. Sure, some of them probably should've been less skeptical, say, around December or January, but I can understand why they weren't.

They couldn't accept how much fun this would be, even more so than normal. It didn't compute.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

see thats what will be interesting in the general debates. I doubt he is going to get the same crowd reactions and presidential debates are big poo poo. he will get called on poo poo and might not be able to dodge.

There's only three presidential debates, typically, right? Wouldn't it be beneficial to Clinton for her to challenge Trump to more than three? Humiliate him multiple times or have him refuse.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

trump is turkmenbashi but lol thats way too deep a dictator cut for it to mean anything to most americans, so mussolini it is i guess
I have just spent the last half hour reading about Turkmenistan and lol holy poo poo this is amazing and accurate

gently caress it, have the best summary of Turkmenistan's insanity here:
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/niyazov.html

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nichael posted:

us presidential elections haven't made any sense to political scientists since 2008, I knew trump would happen because it was the option that favored chaos the most

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Been reading my old posts. This one is me in October responding to someone saying that Kasich should be demoted to the kiddie table.

Patter Song posted:

I agree. Kasich is running pretty much to either be the Vice President of an Establishment pick (popular governor of Ohio) or to be the Establishment's Plan C if Jeb keeps on Jebbing and we suddenly discover that Marco Rubio attends cocaine-fueled orgies in Miami. The other three don't even have a path that viable.

I admit that the thought that Kasich was running to be Trump's running mate like he apparently is had not occurred to me yet.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The biggest mystery still unsolved to me is whether Trump can still channel even a fraction of this personality and poise:

https://youtu.be/Rksd80-FCAw?t=258

If he can, he's got a real shot to win debates. No sign of life yet though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
GOP Leaders Assure Sobbing Rubio It Not His Fault Party Splitting Up

quote:

WASHINGTON—In an effort to comfort the distraught former presidential candidate, top GOP leaders reportedly sat down next to a sobbing Marco Rubio Thursday and assured him that it wasn’t his fault the Republican Party was splitting up. “Marco, trust me, this isn’t about you—we’ve been having problems for years,” said RNC chairman Reince Priebus, who consoled the weeping Florida senator by repeatedly telling him that the party’s breakup had nothing to do with anything he had said or done. “The fact is, we tried our best to work through our issues, but we just fought all the time. There’s nothing you or any of the other establishment candidates could have done about it. Okay, buddy?” At press time, Rubio had started blubbering even louder when Priebus admitted the party would probably never reconcile.

http://www.theonion.com/article/gop-leaders-assure-sobbing-rubio-it-not-his-fault--52582

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oiled and Ready posted:

Are they entirely sure they want to explain to Trump supporters that Hitler claimed he was just a victim of bad deals and the disgusting press, because that is how you get something far worse than neo-nazis (who can be seen and ostracized easily).

Now the GOP will have even more people that casually just drop a "Hitler wasn't so bad. America was just as bad and he did a lot for Germany."

AIPAC should probably tell that PAC to pull that commercial ASAP.
See that PAC is probably full of the same kind of people who can't understand why horde of young dumb people travel to join ISIS in one of the worst warzones by hundreds if not thousands despite (and i am starting to think because) all the horrors they are accused to commit (and in most case publicize themselves). The worse part is the loving over dramatic music that make it sounds like some kind of apocalyptic struggle for the fate of mankind. The exciting crescendo of epic dramatic music over the hate rhetoric is so horribly intoxicating, it's insanely disgusting how it miss the point. That's exactly the kind of video trump people would show in secret to neo nazis to have them vote for him, except now they don't have to, because someone is doing it for them. Leftist doing propaganda work for a far right populist, it's insane.

Al! posted:

"Nobody could possibly have predicted that the war in Iraq was going to be a huge clusterfuck and in the end they didn't even have WMDs just like all the WMD inspectors said"
:france:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 18, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Kasich can't win 1237 to be sure, but neither can Cruz. Why isn't the establishment going all in on Kasich at this point? They hate Cruz almost as much as Trump. It wouldn't make any sense to select Cruz at a contested convention. Kasich is easily their best bet for the general too.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

"Anthony Senecal, he believes young Barron is more like Donald than any of his grown children. Inside Edition reports that Senecal recalled a time he was serving the tot his breakfast. “When Barron was two-and-a-half years old I took his breakfast into him,” Senecal said. “He was sitting in his highchair and he looks at me and he said: ‘Tony! Sit down! We need to talk!’ “"

Ahahahaha

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I spent the better part of last year predicting Cruz would win or burn the whole party to the ground trying. Who would have thought Trump would burn it down preemptively and become lord over the ashes?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

fade5 posted:

I have just spent the last half hour reading about Turkmenistan and lol holy poo poo this is amazing and accurate

gently caress it, have the best summary of Turkmenistan's insanity here:
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/niyazov.html

i mean it truly is trump's spirit animal. actually, one better than trump because turkmenbashi literally was a self-made man from a soviet orphanage, not a rich kid with dad's business contacts.

you're kidding yourself if you don't think trump wants the trump monument to be a statue of the art of the deal that opens up and plays a reading about how he totally closed this badass fuckin deal and made the other side look like chumps.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Shakugan posted:

Kasich can't win 1237 to be sure, but neither can Cruz. Why isn't the establishment going all in on Kasich at this point? They hate Cruz almost as much as Trump. It wouldn't make any sense to select Cruz at a contested convention. Kasich is easily their best bet for the general too.

Because they're still beholden to Trumps insane supporters and Cruz has shown promise in peeling some of them off of the golden calf.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Shakugan posted:

here's an argument for self-interest from a gop congressional incumbent/candidate's point of view, which by extension represents the self-interest of the people who are interested in having as many gop members in congress as possible:
-if you pick cruz at the convention you piss off the trump voters and the establishment voters
-if you pick kasich you piss off the trump voters and the cruz voters
-trump+cruz voting base > trump+establishment voting base

fewer pissed off voters leads to less depressed turnout for down-ticket races, which leads to fewer incumbents losing their seats and more candidates winning their elections. you pick cruz, you piss off the least voters*

*i guess the logical extension would be evaluating the chances of trump winning a contested convention by figuring out where cruz+establishment voting base fits in the hierarchy. i'm not really sure. if it's the smallest number then you've got an argument for picking trump!

gop politicians may hate cruz a lot, but they tend to hate the idea of losing their seats/elections even more, so i think they take the option that pisses off the smallest fraction of their voting base, even if they personally happen to be members of that group (the people who hate trump and cruz)

we'll see how poo poo plays out, and the degree to which logic and reason will play into this decision is debatable for sure, but i think that's a reason to pick cruz at a contested convention that has some logic behind it

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 19, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
am i to understand theres a dude out there name of Barron Trump

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

He's a 9 year old boy, who's like 5 foot tall.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

oystertoadfish posted:

here's an argument for self-interest from a gop congressional incumbent/candidate's point of view, which by extension represents the self-interest of the people who are interested in having as many gop members in congress as possible:
-if you pick cruz at the convention you piss off the trump voters and the establishment voters
-if you pick kasich you piss off the trump voters and the cruz voters
-trump+cruz voting base > trump+establishment voting base

fewer pissed off voters leads to less depressed turnout for down-ticket races, which leads to fewer incumbents losing their seats and more candidates winning their elections. you pick cruz, you piss off the least voters*

*i guess the logical extension would be evaluating the chances of trump winning a contested convention by figuring out where cruz+establishment voting base fits in the hierarchy. i'm not really sure. if it's the smallest number then you've got an argument for picking trump!

gop politicians may hate cruz a lot, but they tend to hate the idea of losing their seats/elections even more, so i think they take the option that pisses off the smallest fraction of their voting base, even if they personally happen to be members of that group (the people who hate trump and cruz)

we'll see how poo poo plays out, and the degree to which logic and reason will play into this decision is debatable for sure, but i think that's a reason to pick cruz at a contested convention that has some logic behind it

I agree with this but also, ratfucking Trump in favor of Cruz who will probably have like 70-80% as many delegates as Trump will have much better optics than giving it to Kasich who will have like 25-30% of the delegates. Giving it to Cruz just might be able to avoid the catastrophic GOP fracture scenario that would likely happen if the nomination were given to Trump or Kasich/Romney/Ryan.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Donald Trump has a 40 year old son and a 10 year old son.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Because they're still beholden to Trumps insane supporters and Cruz has shown promise in peeling some of them off of the golden calf.

Holy poo poo Ted Cruz's team sucks

If he hammered that golden calf allegory daily on Trump he'd have more Evangelicals, no question

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Honestly, if we're going to compare predicting Trump to predicting the Iraq War, I'd say it's as if after Saddam fell they discovered a massive, sophisticated ICBM operation just underneath Baghdad, and the inspectors and international community were stuck trying to explain the Bush administration hadn't actually had any evidence beyond their gut feelings or wildest dreams.

There were plenty of early indicators that something new was going on, like that debate deflection about Rosie O'Donnell or getting away with bashing McCain, and as those piled up believing in the power of Trump became more plausible. Even then, Trump relied on a perfect storm of incompetence from his opponents, who ignored him for far too long and focused on each other then hung around too long preventing strong opposition from forming - he's had a lot of lucky breaks with the media and with the political establishment. I sympathize with Nate Silver and the statisticians for all the poo poo they're going to have to eat on this one, weathermen are always up front about how shaky their forecasts can be but people get mad with them anyway when it unexpectedly rains.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Shakugan posted:

Because unlike what some people think, it's only going to get stolen from trump if he fails to make 1237 AND there's someone within spitting distance in 2nd. So yes, it would make a lot of sense to see cruz as the only alternative since giving it to someone who only won their home state would unquestionably destroy the party.

It's no different than stealing an election really. Perceived legitimacy of the action is a function of how close the results were expected to be. If it was supposed to be close stealing raises some eyebrows but if it was supposed to be a blowout you'll see riots in the streets.

Yes, the establishment hates trump, but this idea that they'll take it from him if he has 1236 and no one else close is nonsense- the establishment themselves are not unified enough to pull it off even if they wanted to. Their best hope is to let trump pull a goldwater and pick up the pieces. Trying to steal it at that point would make the '68 chicago event look like a picnic, the party would completely fracture.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

I agree with this but also, ratfucking Trump in favor of Cruz who will probably have like 70-80% as many delegates as Trump will have much better optics than giving it to Kasich who will have like 25-30% of the delegates. Giving it to Cruz just might be able to avoid the catastrophic GOP fracture scenario that would likely happen if the nomination were given to Trump or Kasich/Romney/Ryan.

ding ding ding we have a winner

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Can someone please make a photoshop of Baron Harkonen with trump hair and post it here, tia?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Oiled and Ready posted:

Holy poo poo Ted Cruz's team sucks

If he hammered that golden calf allegory daily on Trump he'd have more Evangelicals, no question

He could even run the GC scene from Charlton Heston's Ten Commandments as an attack ad and be showing 90 percent of his audience their own mental image of the story.

Real talk though, American Christians are terrible and this election is proof that they're more interested in what David Duke and Paul Ryan say than the bible or Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the problem with lauding trump in 2015 on the basis of his early rise to the top is that giuliani had a similar persistent lead in 2007, and so on. the model that declares him inevitable this election fails in other elections, just like the models that worked for other elections failed for this one. of course this doesn't exonerate a lot of pundits who confidently declared his chances to be zero or minimal even as iowa approached. they have the same problem of there just not being enough data

i still wonder if the race wouldn't be in a very different place if rubio hadn't choked at the debate

• Locked thread