Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Avocados posted:

Is it weird that i've been most, if not all of my Apple news from MacRumors now? There's actually decent coverage of non-rumor happenings and the speculation articles aren't actually bad if you take any rumors with a grain of salt. They're doing a decent play-by-play of the whole Apple/FBI privacy thing.

MacRumors is basically an apple news aggregator with a particular emphasis on rumors. They end up being pretty useful for getting the highlights without actually generating any news themselves or being a lot of effort to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any way to prioritize wifi networks on iOS yet? My 5c has an annoying habit of grabbing the finicky Optimum public wifi signal while I'm at home. I don't want to just forget that network, because it's actually useful when I'm out and reauthenticating is a pain.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's supposed to grab whatever's on top of your list of networks, but I bet what's happening is that it's catching the Optimum wifi before it even sees your home wifi and not switching.

I don't know if there's actually a solution to this.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

In the same vein, si there a way to make iOS only connect to wifi that I choose and not automatically join just whatever's closest? As in, if there's public wifi nearby, it more than likely has a disclaimer I have to agree to and I don't wanna do that - I want to use LTE at all times unless I've signed into the Wifi network nearby before.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

LODGE NORTH posted:

In the same vein, si there a way to make iOS only connect to wifi that I choose and not automatically join just whatever's closest? As in, if there's public wifi nearby, it more than likely has a disclaimer I have to agree to and I don't wanna do that - I want to use LTE at all times unless I've signed into the Wifi network nearby before.

I think it works this way by default? :confused:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Set the "ask to join networks" switch on

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Set the "ask to join networks" switch on

Is there a way to make it not even ask?

Unity Gain posted:

I think it works this way by default? :confused:

Mine definitely doesn't. Hell, I went to a different state, drove past the mall and got a full screen pop-up asking me to sign into Simon malls public wifi.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't think that's intended behaviour. Backup-restore?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a way to make it not even ask?

That option on = asks you to join new networks.
That option off = doesn't ask you and doesn't join new networks; new networks have to be joined manually.

Try resetting network settings (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings) and if that doesn't solve it then go for the restore.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
If it's a wifi network your phone knows, make it "Forget this network" or whatever in the wifi network settings. Or maybe turn off the "auto-join network" switch, if there is one.

But yeah... turn "ask to join" off and, if you've never connected to Simon mall wifi, it should never ever be giving you the captive page.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The iPhone is meant to treat the BSSID as a SSID for public WiFi to avoid this behaviour, so at a guess it doesn't know that mall WiFi is a recurring SSID somehow. Perhaps its corrupt or otherwise glitched?
In the behaviour you're seeing you can just tell it to forget the network and it'll stop auto-connecting and hopefully starts seeing each instance as a new network.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

~Coxy posted:

Not that weird now that MacWorld is a shithole of irrelevant PC/gadget news with a loving helping of sponsored posts, and ArsTechnica is a shadow of its former self.

Every other site from back in the day is dead. :woz:

Any tech site similar to arstechnica? I still frequent the website but it's definitely not what it used to be.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

iLikeMidgets posted:

Any tech site similar to arstechnica? I still frequent the website but it's definitely not what it used to be.

Sadly, NONE of them are what they used to be :smith:

e: theregister.co.uk is still good, but not quite a direct Ars replacement.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Unity Gain posted:

Sadly, NONE of them are what they used to be :smith:

e: theregister.co.uk is still good, but not quite a direct Ars replacement.

I can't deal with their serious use of the term "boffin".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also the register's rss feed is pretty lovely because they post ten billion stories a day and there's no convenient way to filter down to the handful you actually care about.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

iLikeMidgets posted:

I thought ars was pretty decent. What's happened to it recently?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The registers never ending grudge against anything Apple pretty much killed reading that site for me.

Tend to just use MacRumors and Gruber to stay on top of the Mac world, it's enough for me.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I also like 9to5mac. Pretty basic, but 90% coverage of latest apple news.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

various cheeses posted:

I thought ars was pretty decent. What's happened to it recently?
It's ok I think but there was a noticeable decline in the quality at some point. They got bought by Wired or something a while ago, and/or there were some advertising partnerships, and probably related to some staff turnover, like Jon Stokes (the OS X review guy, along with other tech articles) left a while ago. Like I still get some tech/science news from there, but a lot of it can be shallow like any other news regurgitation site. I kinda feel it's gotten better here and there but I haven't followed too closely, the quality might be on a writer by writer (or topic) basis.

Unity Gain posted:

I feel like they have a lot of fluff though, MacRumors links to the major stuff without the opinions and how to articles and whatnot.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 19, 2016

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

japtor posted:

I feel like they have a lot of fluff though, MacRumors links to the major stuff without the opinions and how to articles and whatnot.

They do, but that's also kinda why I like it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

japtor posted:

Jon Stokes (the OS X review guy, along with other tech articles)

Stokes left, but John Siracusa was the OS X guy and he just got tired of writing a novel every year.

But yeah it was the Conde Nast buyout that started it. They went through a period at least of just tons of clickbait listicle fluff and never really recovered.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Ars is still better than most of the tech sites out there. I like Anandtech for pure reviews, and it's still good even after Anand left for Apple. I wish they updated more often though.

I actually went to high school with that guy back when he first founded the website. He bought a brand new 911 and parked it in the student lot, I'm assuming with money from that website.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Unity Gain posted:

gently caress Mike Beasley.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

LODGE NORTH posted:

gently caress Mike Beasley.

I honestly don't know who he is. I don't follow any bylines on any site for that matter. It takes me all of five minutes to look at the site, read a post or two about something Apple related, maybe an accessory review or something, and then I move on. :shrug:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple rumors make up a significant chunk of mainstream tech news these days, you don't really need to follow specialized sites to keep up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I pretty much count on you guys to tell me when the new poo poo is here.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I pretty much count on you guys to tell me when the new poo poo is here.
Your SiriPod doesn't whisper it in your ear for you? :confused:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Your SiriPod doesn't whisper it in your ear for you? :confused:

Apple got quite a backlash for advertising the 6 (or was it the 6S?) on older devices when the pre-orders went up. Not sure they'd ever try that one again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Am i the only one in this thread excited for the SE?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The worst part is all the tech journalists, everyone on Wall Street, the entire blogosphere, everyone who gave Apple crap for not coming out with a phablet like the Galaxy Note, they're all going to see the SE as a revelation.

I told you so motherfuckers!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm pissed off I have to wait so long to learn about the Macbook Pro status frankly. So I guess I am excited, but also pissed, Pisscited

Oh the iPhone announcement? Or the Special Event (SE)?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm pissed off I have to wait so long to learn about the Macbook Pro status frankly. So I guess I am excited, but also pissed, Pisscited

Oh the iPhone announcement? Or the Special Event (SE)?
The smaller iPhone is rumored to be called the SE.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's a cheap entry-level small smartphone for people who want to run iOS. If you're in this thread, you've probably drank the Kool-Aid to a sufficient degree that you don't need the cheapo entry level one, nothing but the latest flagship will do if you're shopping. Maybe you'll get one for your kid so he can send dick pics to little Susie.

If it's the price point you're after, well, if a few hundred bucks matters you really probably shouldn't be buying brand new luxury electronics. You need a phone, sure, just get a used 5 or 5S. Still good, way cheaper.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't get a used 5 in 2016, what sort of poo poo advice is that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's rumored to have the same internals as the iPhone 6S. That's just a standard phone but in the typical 4" Form Factor.

It it does everything it's claim but pre-ordering day one. My 5S still works but after having 3 screen replacements it's starting to fall apart.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The 5 is still good. I was using mine until late last year and other than a sticky home button, it was perfectly good. Everything worked just fine. It was RAM-constrained, app switching sucked because everything had to reload, but it was never... terrible. Considering how cheap you can pick one up, if you're like totally destitute and need an iOS phone, it's a better option than the SE or whatever will be.

edit: I mean, this thing is going to be around $500 CAD off-contract at least, you could get a nice 5S with 64GB of storage for half that much on a good day. If penny-pinching is your goal, it doesn't make sense. But I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes to teens and kids.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 21, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So is the event tomorrow going to be the announcement of the 7, most likely? Also does anyone know how and if pre-orders work if you're eligible for an upgrade through Verizon?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

So is the event tomorrow going to be the announcement of the 7, most likely

Not a chance. That's in the fall. I'd be surprised if they finalized the design, much less started mass production.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pivo posted:

It's a cheap entry-level small smartphone for people who want to run iOS. If you're in this thread, you've probably drank the Kool-Aid to a sufficient degree that you don't need the cheapo entry level one, nothing but the latest flagship will do if you're shopping. Maybe you'll get one for your kid so he can send dick pics to little Susie.

If it's the price point you're after, well, if a few hundred bucks matters you really probably shouldn't be buying brand new luxury electronics. You need a phone, sure, just get a used 5 or 5S. Still good, way cheaper.

I'm pretty concerned about the quality of the dick pics my kid is taking. Why would I hamstring him with an inferior device when all he's trying to do is get his rocks off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
poo poo. There's an announcement tomorrow? I just ordered an iPod touch off of amazon for my kids birthday. Expecting a refresh on that also?