Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

Sure, that's a fact. I'm not sure why you think it's interesting or why you think anyone would disagree with it. You tried to make the weird argument that the latest version of Android is the version that's on the most phones.

Then once you realized that that's a dumb thing to say that only someone who was in full on fall-for-the-trolls mode you tried to make it sound like you meant something that's totally obvious that no one would disagree with.

Because... that's the only version that's relevant to literally ninety-seven percent of all smartphone users. Why is this so goddamn difficult?

edit: I don't know why I keep coming back to this site's most retarded thread

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Because... that's the only version that's relevant to literally ninety-seven percent of all smartphone users.

And why do you feel like this is an interesting or relevant thing to say?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Because... that's the only version that's relevant to literally ninety-seven percent of all smartphone users. Why is this so goddamn difficult?

edit: I don't know why I keep coming back to this site's most retarded thread
I didn't realize Apple, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Tizen, and some others I'm forgetting only had a than 3% combined market share. Weird.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize Apple, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Tizen, and some others I'm forgetting only had a than 3% combined market share. Weird.

uh none of those are on Marshmallow either :rolleyes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't know why I keep coming back to this site's most retarded thread

I keep coming back to it see the site's most retarded user.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Desk Lamp posted:

As it's been shown before in this thread not even the Nexus line is safe from carrier fuckery when it comes to updates, hard to say whether your friend's carrier released the update or not.
Yeah, except it's not carrier locked, so it shouldn't be carrier fuckery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, except it's not carrier locked, so it shouldn't be carrier fuckery.

Nexuses aren't carrier locked but their updates are still governed by the SIM. I know with the S7, all of them are carrier unlocked--until you turn it on with a SIM inside. I'm pretty sure Samsung has in the past tied other things to the SIM and were if I'm not mistaken the first OEM to really work in that direction.

I guess the tl;dr is that the phone's carrier lock state wouldn't affect updates one way or the other, it's entirely determined (or left undetermined) by the SIM which is set of course by the carrier.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Verizon Galaxy S5 is still on 5.0 but did get security updates and is current to the February patch.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

LastInLine posted:

I keep coming back to it see the site's most retarded user.

hello!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Nexuses aren't carrier locked but their updates are still governed by the SIM. I know with the S7, all of them are carrier unlocked--until you turn it on with a SIM inside. I'm pretty sure Samsung has in the past tied other things to the SIM and were if I'm not mistaken the first OEM to really work in that direction.

I guess the tl;dr is that the phone's carrier lock state wouldn't affect updates one way or the other, it's entirely determined (or left undetermined) by the SIM which is set of course by the carrier.
Jeez. What a headache.

Yeah, the SIM could be the culprit I suppose, but it's a prepaid SIM, if that'd make a difference.

So what should I tell him then? Remove the SIM and try to update? I suppose it'll require a factory reset or something? I guess the easiest way would be to futz around in KIES or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Jeez. What a headache.

Yeah, the SIM could be the culprit I suppose, but it's a prepaid SIM, if that'd make a difference.

So what should I tell him then? Remove the SIM and try to update? I suppose it'll require a factory reset or something? I guess the easiest way would be to futz around in KIES or something.

While I don't have specifics on Samsung's situation (and in fact I was speculating as to how it works for them, I only know Nexuses), with the Nexus 6 at least you could get onto a carrier-specific update path where it wouldn't matter if you removed the AT&T SIM because the OTA updates (and I'd have to assume this is true of Samsung devices as well) are only made to go from a specific version to another.

To illustrate, here is a list of all of the OTAs for the Nexus 5. Note how each point update has multiple versions from which you can update to it? Well with carrier fuckery you can get to a version that has no update path away from it (because your carrier hasn't approved it). So that's one potential dead end.

That having been said, if you're on a common version for which there is an update removing the SIM and rebooting does work on a Nexus that is being carrier-denied updates. Again, don't know if that's true of Samsung.

It shouldn't require a factory reset in any case but I would imagine that Kies is your next step if removing the SIM and rebooting doesn't trigger an update download. Edit: Just saw that you said it was a prepaid SIM. Is it also an MVNO? That could be the issue. Remember that the carrier itself does actually have to send the beacon for an update (again, at least with Nexuses). A small enough and lovely enough MVNO and I could believe they just don't get around to actually sending out the update trigger. Remember, even though it's hosted by the OEM, it's the carrier who much trigger the OTA process. Removing the SIM should bypass this process on a carrier-unlocked device.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 18, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember that the carrier itself does actually have to send the beacon for an update (again, at least with Nexuses). A small enough and lovely enough MVNO and I could believe they just don't get around to actually sending out the update trigger. Remember, even though it's hosted by the OEM, it's the carrier who much trigger the OTA process. Removing the SIM should bypass this process on a carrier-unlocked device.
This is definitely not universally true. If you buy an unlocked Nexus device and put it on any carrier in the UK (who mostly don't even sell the phones) you just get the updates immediately from Google. The carrier is not involved at all in pressing any kind of button since they don't even know or care that the device exists. You can use whatever lovely MVNO you want and you get updates properly. In the US your carriers are all retarded though so maybe they actively gently caress with this process via some Google-approved method, I don't know. I would probably recommend just leaving the country rather than dealing with that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This is definitely not universally true. If you buy an unlocked Nexus device and put it on any carrier in the UK (who mostly don't even sell the phones) you just get the updates immediately from Google. The carrier is not involved at all in pressing any kind of button since they don't even know or care that the device exists. You can use whatever lovely MVNO you want and you get updates properly. In the US your carriers are all retarded though so maybe they actively gently caress with this process via some Google-approved method, I don't know. I would probably recommend just leaving the country rather than dealing with that.

We've seen plenty of leaks from carrier documentation saying that they've approved the update for release on so-and-so date. I know for certain I've seen it for an Australian carrier. Just from how much we've seen and the firsthand evidence of how it works in the US we can be reasonably certain that carriers can choose on a case by case basis to stop the rollout of a Google-pushed OTA over their network so it's only logical it works the other way.

In other words perhaps the default state for UK carriers may be to allow Google's updates to go out right away but we know with absolute certainty that in the US that if a carrier wants to block a Google rollout they can and do.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

In other words perhaps the default state for UK carriers may be to allow Google's updates to go out right away but we know with absolute certainty that in the US that if a carrier wants to block a Google rollout they can and do.
Right, they can definitely block/delay an update, but they are not required to do something to allow an update. The default is that you just get the update from Google. I suspect Google also have more specific arrangements in place with the bigger carriers. But it is unfathomable that every random carrier in Africa and whatever has to turn on Nexus 5 updates or you don't get them, that just plainly isn't true.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Right, they can definitely block/delay an update, but they are not required to do something to allow an update. The default is that you just get the update from Google. I suspect Google also have more specific arrangements in place with the bigger carriers. But it is unfathomable that every random carrier in Africa and whatever has to turn on Nexus 5 updates or you don't get them, that just plainly isn't true.

I would imagine that that's true, that when you turn on for the first time your "I'm a brand new telephone company" master computer, there's a big switch that is set for allowing OTAs to just go out on their own. I'd also imagine that sometimes they flip that switch to OFF because gently caress you and gently caress Google. I'm just saying it's not unimaginable for some backwater MVNO somewhere to be configured not to just allow OTAs to go out on their own and then just never actively sending them out. In fact I'm blanking on it right now but I'm pretty sure that's happened on a US one that I can't remember at the moment a few years ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, moved to Verizon thread.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

While I don't have specifics on Samsung's situation (and in fact I was speculating as to how it works for them, I only know Nexuses), with the Nexus 6 at least you could get onto a carrier-specific update path where it wouldn't matter if you removed the AT&T SIM because the OTA updates (and I'd have to assume this is true of Samsung devices as well) are only made to go from a specific version to another.

To illustrate, here is a list of all of the OTAs for the Nexus 5. Note how each point update has multiple versions from which you can update to it? Well with carrier fuckery you can get to a version that has no update path away from it (because your carrier hasn't approved it). So that's one potential dead end.

That having been said, if you're on a common version for which there is an update removing the SIM and rebooting does work on a Nexus that is being carrier-denied updates. Again, don't know if that's true of Samsung.

It shouldn't require a factory reset in any case but I would imagine that Kies is your next step if removing the SIM and rebooting doesn't trigger an update download. Edit: Just saw that you said it was a prepaid SIM. Is it also an MVNO? That could be the issue. Remember that the carrier itself does actually have to send the beacon for an update (again, at least with Nexuses). A small enough and lovely enough MVNO and I could believe they just don't get around to actually sending out the update trigger. Remember, even though it's hosted by the OEM, it's the carrier who much trigger the OTA process. Removing the SIM should bypass this process on a carrier-unlocked device.
I'm not sure what he's got, it might be a MVNO, but if so it's one of the larger ones here. I don't think that should be the cause, but it's worth a try. I'll tell him to try removing the SIM and see if he gets an update, KIES might be a bit much.

Thanks!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

http://www.noreplied.com/how-to-insert-2-nano-sim-dual-sim-enabled-and-microsd-card-in-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/

quote:

HOW TO INSERT 2 NANO SIM (DUAL SIM ENABLED) AND MICROSD CARD IN SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE

Here are the simple tools I am using to hack the Nano sim.

Nano Sim (MUST BE Nano Sim because it’s easier to cut and remove)
Lighter
Scissor
Double side tape OR Uhu/Elephant/Gajah Super Glue. (I used double side tape, because I love the free MicroSD card from Samsung)
MicroSD Card.

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait did Samsung make their dual-sim phone so that you have to choose between having two sims or one sim and an SD card?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I was about to pull the trigger on an S7 Edge when I noticed the S6 Edge dropped in price finally. Aside from the bigger screen, SD card and bigger battery, is there anything else that realistically makes the S7 Edge $400 better than the S6 Edge? I'd put a case in either one so I'm not worried about the S6 Edge's... edges digging into my hand.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Eej posted:

So I was about to pull the trigger on an S7 Edge when I noticed the S6 Edge dropped in price finally. Aside from the bigger screen, SD card and bigger battery, is there anything else that realistically makes the S7 Edge $400 better than the S6 Edge? I'd put a case in either one so I'm not worried about the S6 Edge's... edges digging into my hand.

I'd go for the 7 just for the bigger battery, although $400 more is a tough sell.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Just got an update on my ATT S7 Edge. No change log. Said it was security improvements.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lowen SoDium posted:

Just got an update on my ATT S7 Edge. No change log. Said it was security improvements.

Got the same on my T-Mobile regular S7.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hey android goons, my old HTC One M7 is really starting to show its age and having random problems so I'm looking to upgrade. I'm currently with Sprint and don't have any major issues with their service but have no issues dropping them. Project Fi is running a promo where you get $150 off the Nexus 5x if you switch to them. Google already gives me internet and TV, so why not phone service? Reviews seem to be good and I'd probably save quite a bit of money since I'm generally on wifi. My only real question is between the 5x or 6p. I'd get used to the bigger size, but I'm wondering which phone is more durable? I'm generally good about not dropping phones, but I do quite a few rough activities like snowboarding and mountain biking in which I'll have my phone on me when I take some falls.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Eej posted:

S6 Edge in my experience was awkward to hold (I know you said you were gonna put a case on it), had awful battery life, the edge gimmick wasn't well-utilized, and (anectodal, so make of this what you will) performed so much worse than I would've expected from it that it became unpleasant to use on a daily basis.
That said, I don't know what you'll get out of the S7, but it assuredly can't be worse than my experience with the S6.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm using a Nexus 5 right now so battery life can only go up regardless of what phone get

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lowen SoDium posted:

Go to Settings> About device> Software info. What's the Android security patch level dated as?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Go to Settings> About device> Software info. What's the Android security patch level dated as?

Feb 1st, but I don't know what it was before.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
Just got the Nexus 6p, which apparently uses the nano, not micro SIM card size.
Assuming it can be cut: between finding someone locally who has the right punch tool, cutting it myself with scissors, or contacting TMobile for a new card, what would be the best solution?

havenwaters posted:

I'm in a similar situation but AT&T and I'm just going to make a trip out to an AT&T corporate store sometime on the weekend/next week.
There's a TMobile place in the nearby shopping center but I'm assuming they're going to charge for a replacement SIM card.

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 18, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

UserErr0r posted:

Assuming it can be cut: between finding someone locally who has the right tool, or contacting TMobile for a new card, what would be the best solution?

I'm in a similar situation but AT&T and I'm just going to make a trip out to an AT&T corporate store sometime on the weekend/next week.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

UserErr0r posted:

There's a TMobile place in the nearby shopping center but I'm assuming they're going to charge for a replacement SIM card.

If it's a corporate store, they're supposed to give you one for free. At least they were a few years ago.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

UserErr0r posted:

Assuming it can be cut: between finding someone locally who has the right punch tool, cutting it myself with scissors, or contacting TMobile for a new card, what would be the best solution?

I cut mine fine when this last happened to me. Print one of those cutting guide things, showing nano outline on top of micro, draw lines using a sharpie on it, then cut with sharp scissors. When in doubt, cut a little less, as you can always trim it down more.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

If it's a corporate store, they're supposed to give you one for free. At least they were a few years ago.

Eh, went to a corporate store for mine and they made me pay $15 for it. Good news is that they give you an adapter for if you ever go back to a microSIM card.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Feb 1st, but I don't know what it was before.

Was already Feb security patch, so who knows.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My Xperia Z3 Compact, running 6.0.1, just got the March security patch today. I only got it on my Nexus 7 two days ago OTA.

I'm really liking my Galaxy S7 but crikey would I love stock Android on it with the kind of update speed Sony has with their Concept ROM. This is how phones should be in TYOOL 2016.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

UserErr0r posted:

Just for reference, there are also these things. The one I have worked well so far.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

UserErr0r posted:

Visit a corporate t-mo store and tell them you need to swap to a nano-sim.

ringu0 posted:

Just for reference, there are also these things. The one I have worked well so far.
I used one of those to go mini->micro. Kinda a pain to use, but it did the job. Visiting a corporate store is probably easier and faster than waiting for shipping.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's been a month and I still can't create a Gamer ID in Google Play Games. What the gently caress, Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's been a month and I still can't create a Gamer ID in Google Play Games. What the gently caress, Google.

Same here.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I created one an hour ago so the problem is on your end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

I created one an hour ago so the problem is on your end.

The concern is that 1) they stagger-released things like this before and that 2) as far as I'm aware it's never taken a month to stagger-release something to the entire Google population.

Also "works for me wontfix" is insufferable.