Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

WickedHate posted:

So she totally just killed or at least brutally disfigured and handicapped those guys.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a lot of that in Fraction's Hawkeye. Despite having about 2000 different non-lethal arrows, Clint just shoots a guy in the eyes with regular-rear end arrows in issue 3.

Hawkeye v4 #2

Eyes, spinal column... maybe he should just go ahead and use Deadpool's Hulk-fist arrows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like I said, weird for a marvel comic about Avengers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, obviously. Fraction's Hawkeye was kinda cavalier about maiming but he didn't set out to maim like Moon Knight does

Speaking of;

There's not enough :allears: in the world.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Eh, Hawkeye has a history of stabbing people in the head with arrows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Like I said, weird for a marvel comic about Avengers.

Cap was tossing hydra agents off trains in Bru's run

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WickedHate posted:

There's not enough :allears: in the world.

I do not think that is the proper emoticon considering the context

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Cap was tossing hydra agents off trains in Bru's run

Tossing someone off a train in an action sequence is fine! It's like tossing someone off a bridge into water. They PROBABLY survived. Don't look into it! Spider-man just punched that goon across the room into unconsciousness. He definitely didn't die from a cerebral hemorrhage 2 panels later, everything's cool.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There is a very real difference between violence where the horrific, logical outcome is obscured or glossed over as a means to drive the story forward, and violence where the horrific, logical outcome is lovingly rendered and serves as the end point of the story.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Keeshhound posted:

There is a very real difference between violence where the horrific, logical outcome is obscured or glossed over as a means to drive the story forward, and violence where the horrific, logical outcome is lovingly rendered and serves as the end point of the story.

Yeah, the second one is better because it discourages people from glossing over the consequences of the brutal violence we enjoy

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
What did Louis CK do this time?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Tossing someone off a train in an action sequence is fine! It's like tossing someone off a bridge into water. They PROBABLY survived. Don't look into it! Spider-man just punched that goon across the room into unconsciousness. He definitely didn't die from a cerebral hemorrhage 2 panels later, everything's cool.

Sharon confirmed they died

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yeah, the second one is better because it discourages people from glossing over the consequences of the brutal violence we enjoy

It's nice that you believe that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mean, in the run leading up to Old Man Rogers, he killed a lot. He took off mutate heads with his shield. He caused Mr. Magnificent to die. He killed Iron Nail if I remember correctly.

The difference is killing for an Avenger is an option.

Killing for Punisher is the Only Considered Course Of Action.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Fantastic Four #587. The bonds between the four have been undergoing great strain recently, as many threats bubble away in the background. The Fantastic Four find themselves divided, spread not just across the globe, but across the universe. The Thing has taken a serum created the Future Foundation (made up of gifted children) which has temporarily restored his human form for a week. The negative zone in the Baxter Building is under attack by Annihilus - commander of an unending wave of bugs and monsters.

As people often remark, it's a really good run, and many of you will have seen it before, but I'm posting it because X posts without any panels in in a panel thread makes me sad.

Milotic fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 18, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean, in the run leading up to Old Man Rogers, he killed a lot. He took off mutate heads with his shield. He caused Mr. Magnificent to die. He killed Iron Nail if I remember correctly.

The difference is killing for an Avenger is an option.

Killing for Punisher is the Only Considered Course Of Action.

It's a reasonable line of inquiry if you've been reading the older comics, or you're old enough to have been reading them for a long time. Back in the '80s and '90s, there was a fairly strenuous "heroes do not kill" rule in place, both stated and unstated, to the point where the climax of the giant "Operation: Galactic Storm" crossover involves a schism in the Avengers over the issue. There was a lot of angst and brooding over the topic, particularly from Cap and Hawkeye.

Part of the line-wide tonal shift in the 2000s, with Quesada in charge, is a general relaxation of that policy, to the point where pretty much everyone has an incidental, deliberate body count. For some characters, it's mostly faceless aliens or HYDRA goons, but they'll still straight-up kill a dude from time to time and nobody really seems to care anymore.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I liked how Old Man Rogers storyline did killing. Killing was acceptable if and only if it was the only way. Killing someone who is defeated, killing someone who isn't fighting back, killing someone who you easily can deal with other ways, those are all unacceptable.

I don't think every hero should be killing. Or that every villain should be killed.

I was still pretty surprised when I read the storyline and saw the amount of people who died. But I guess mutates aren't really people, and Mr. magnificent was literally a 'I kill you or you kill 200 people' situation, with no other options.

People who really want bloodthirsty murderous heroes are terrible though. That's not what a Hero should be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Presenting the most badass thing in House of M:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Keeshhound posted:

It's nice that you believe that.

Discouragement isn't always successful, mind you

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

Presenting the most badass thing in House of M:

Wasn't it canon by then that Cap decapitated Baron Zemo with his shield?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

That is still technically "a way".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I think you're thinking of Baron Blood, who was a vampire. Anyway, Cap's always struck me as someone who thinks killing is an option if you can't see any other options, but if you can't, that means you failed. So he takes every death he's responsible for as a personal failure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know there's some dislike over the creator, but I found the middle row of the latest JL8 page really beautiful.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Milotic posted:

Fantastic Four #587. The bonds between the four have been undergoing great strain recently, as many threats bubble away in the background. The Fantastic Four find themselves divided, spread not just across the globe, but across the universe. The Thing has taken a serum created the Future Foundation (made up of gifted children) which has temporarily restored his human form for a week. The negative zone in the Baxter Building is under attack by Annihilus - commander of an unending wave of bugs and monsters.

As people often remark, it's a really good run, and many of you will have seen it before, but I'm posting it because X posts without any panels in in a panel thread makes me sad.

and many months later...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

And this got a great callback in Spider Man.

:allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

And this got a great callback in Spider Man.

:allears:

I am pretty sure that was in FF 17

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm sorry, I know this is a serious moment and it does indeed strike me as badass, but that's a helluva :downs:-y face on her in the Kill Annihilus panel. Her eyes are just too far apart.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Keeshhound posted:

'Lovingly rendered' is a bit much. It's not like this is a Kirkman book; Hawkeye did not jam two arrows into a man's gullet and rip them out sideways in an explosion of blood and sinew that would make Freddy Kreuger blush.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think the reference was to the Moon Knight pages with the mangled dude and the blood and stuff

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I totally have a problem with Fraction's weird grindhouse violence Hawkeye. It goes against his character because he's not supposed to be like Moon Knight or Punisher, but rather an Avenger who is not a big fan of maiming and murder.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
"AVENGERS DON'T KILL"
"I DIDN'T KILL HIM I JUST LET HIM DIE"
"THAT'S NOT WHAT HE SAID"

Doesn't that mean the dude isn't dead and this argument is kinda pointless?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

"AVENGERS DON'T KILL"

Pretty sure the "that's not what he said" was in response to Mockingbird claiming the guy drugged her and forced her to love him. So it's not something important like two Avengers having a pointless argument, it's just a man explicitly siding with his wife's rapist over her.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

"AVENGERS DON'T KILL"

It was the Phantom Rider and his ghost is known to possess his successor.

So, yeah, he's dead, but he's able to communicate because ~comics~.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dordreff posted:

Pretty sure the "that's not what he said" was in response to Mockingbird claiming the guy drugged her and forced her to love him. So it's not something important like two Avengers having a pointless argument, it's just a man explicitly siding with his wife's rapist over her.

I don't know what was up with the 80s and weird rape storylines.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

bobkatt013 posted:

Sharon confirmed they died

My copy of Winter Soldier is in a box, but as I recall, no she didn't. She confirmed that they were grievously injured with broken facebones and such, but didn't say anyone died.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Chaos Hippy posted:

My copy of Winter Soldier is in a box, but as I recall, no she didn't. She confirmed that they were grievously injured with broken facebones and such, but didn't say anyone died.

Captain America V5 #1

More on-topic, the sequence leading up to that page:

And then the nagging happens.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
We've secretly replaced Captain America with Batman. Let's tune in and see if anyone notices.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CzarChasm posted:

We've secretly replaced Captain America with Batman. Let's tune in and see if anyone notices.

If batman did that no one would have died. :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Some days you just can't rid of a bomb, though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Reminds me of the bits in This film is not yet rated where some people propose that it's wrong-headed to lower a film rating when the consequences of violence are sanitized (for example, showing people getting shot, but no blood or cries of pain), because that might on the whole mess up kids more.

Sadly there can be no natural experiment, since everyone who reads comics is messed up (also since the vast majority of works in any medium will fail to depict violence with maturity/wisdom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ygolonac posted:

Captain America V5 #1

Well, there it is. My mistake.