Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Ranter posted:

It was LTE speed, not paltry 3G, at ye olde $10/gig? That beats t-mobiles free offering (they charge ridiculous roaming data charges if want LTE overseas).

Yea it was like I wasn't even abroad, same LTE at $10/gig, free texts and calls at $.20/min. Texting people back in USA, using data, etc. For traveling sake it's a real game changer, no more lurking Wi-fi, no more buying SIM cards just use your phone the same everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This FAQ on their website contradicts this though:

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#international-usage-1

quote:

If you travel to 120+ countries, data usage will cost the same $10 per GB as in the US. Note: data speeds are limited to 256kbps (3G).

Are you absolutely sure you were getting LTE (4G) ?

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
The bar said LTE but yea I guess it coulda been 256kbs, it seemed slower than the LTE at home but it wasn't slow enough for me to think it wasn't LTE. Didn't do any speed tests lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

T-Mobile connects to LTE, but is throttled when you're overseas. I imagine Fi is just using that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Signed up and my 5X arrives Thursday; talked to my parents and they're paying AT&T, who they loathe, upwards of $70 for two dumbphone lines. I'll go check out the signal around their place and show them the phone but they're pretty much already on board for this deal. Are there any concerns to have about Project Fi for old people who've never had a smartphone -- is it pretty easy to set it up to never do anything stupid on data vs. wifi, etc., easy for them to tell the difference?

It's my first experience with Android too so I'm no expert. An iPhone might be ideal since my dad's already comfortable and bought-in with an iPad but ~$28 for the phone and basic plan + taxes + a minuscule amount of data sounds too cheap to pass up for them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If they don't know how to check their data usage every couple days and know what the wifi icon looks like, I'd probably just do cricket.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

If they don't know how to check their data usage every couple days and know what the wifi icon looks like, I'd probably just do cricket.
I think they can get that down. I do think having the security updates of a Nexus would be a huge plus for them over other Android phones.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

T-Mobile connects to LTE, but is throttled when you're overseas. I imagine Fi is just using that.

I'm on an Asia trip with my Fi 6p now (currently in Singapore) and this is the case, icon may say LTE but you are getting throttled. It's fast enough for basic stuff and certainly cheap. If you really want speed on a trip see my previous post about renting a portable hotspot (Japan is particularly good for this).

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Can anyone recommend a signal booster that doesn't use high speed internet that works with Fi? My new house is in a pretty rural location (hence the "doesn't use high speed internet" clause - only satellite available) and the signal isn't great, but neither is any other service provider and I'm basically all in with Google at this point..

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Can anyone recommend a signal booster that doesn't use high speed internet that works with Fi? My new house is in a pretty rural location (hence the "doesn't use high speed internet" clause - only satellite available) and the signal isn't great, but neither is any other service provider and I'm basically all in with Google at this point..

I thought all signal boosters used the internet.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
So, I signed up for project fi a few days ago and so far everything is okay except for one small thing. No one is getting sms messages from me. I can receive them and people can get mms messages from me. Just not sms. I talked with their customer service and they send me a test sms to reply to and I did and they received it. So far on project fi I can text one number and it's customer service. They're just as stumped as me. 

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If you came from an iPhone, did you deregister iMessage? And if so, your other contacts (if they are also on iPhones) may need to delete the text thread.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Humerus posted:

If you came from an iPhone, did you deregister iMessage? And if so, your other contacts (if they are also on iPhones) may need to delete the text thread.

I'm using a ported Google voice number and coming from an Android phone. People on other phones that aren't an iPhone aren't getting my messages either.

CrapFish fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CrapFish posted:

I'm using a ported Google voice number and coming from an Android phone. People on other phones that aren't an iPhone aren't getting my messages either.

Does it work through Gmail/hangouts app?

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Smythe posted:

Does it work through Gmail/hangouts app?

Not any more. It used to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CrapFish posted:

I'd get in touch with Fi support, they seem to be really good.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Rexxed posted:

I'd get in touch with Fi support, they seem to be really good.

I did, they escalated it to their engineers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Decided to take the plunge and sign up today. Decided to go with the 32GB 6p but then changed my mind and wanted the 64GB version so I cancelled my order. Doing that, you can't just opt for the monthly charge so I'll apparently be getting an email from the Project Fi group soon to get it worked out. If they can't do it no big deal, but why pay for the phone up front when you're basically getting a 0% interest rate on credit? Google internet, TV, and now phone service. What else are they going to get me in on?

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
SMS finally works. gently caress yeah.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

CrapFish posted:

SMS finally works. gently caress yeah.

Cool what exactly was the issue? Did they tell you?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

My parents are looking at getting a tablet to user on vacation, and I brought up the idea of attaching it to my plan. Any recommendations on a cheap tablet that works with Fi?

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Darkpriest667 posted:

Cool what exactly was the issue? Did they tell you?

They didn't tell me. SMS worked when I woke up.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Infidel Castro posted:

My parents are looking at getting a tablet to user on vacation, and I brought up the idea of attaching it to my plan. Any recommendations on a cheap tablet that works with Fi?

It looks like tablets might work with Fi if they'll work with T-Mobile. Out of their short list, your best bet would probably be the Nexus 7 (2013) or one of the iPad variants.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195?hl=en

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I really need a new phone, I want to sign up with Fi, but my contract with Verizon isn't up until 6/21. Can I sign up with Fi, get the 5X for $199, then pause my service until my Verizon contract is up? I'd rather pay $230 for a 5X than buy a phone I can't use with Fi.
I'm seeing reports that the 5X works with Verizon, can I get a goon confirmation on this?

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Valicious posted:

I really need a new phone, I want to sign up with Fi, but my contract with Verizon isn't up until 6/21. Can I sign up with Fi, get the 5X for $199, then pause my service until my Verizon contract is up? I'd rather pay $230 for a 5X than buy a phone I can't use with Fi.
I'm seeing reports that the 5X works with Verizon, can I get a goon confirmation on this?

I just popped a Verizon sim card in my 5x and it worked

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
You wouldn't be able to port your number in that case though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How good is Project Fi customer service? I've never had anything but good customer service experiences with Fiber, but I'm gonna be pushing 2 days with no response on my phone buying thing. The store support person I talked to said I'd be getting an email from Project Fi support within 24 hours. This never happened so I sent them an email since chat was closed yesterday. No reply to that either so far. I can't really wait on them to call me at work based on how my breaks work, is chat going to be my best option to get ahold of them?

e: got ahold of support on chat, they're resetting my signup page. So hopefully after maintenance I'll be able to redo it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 20, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

fknlo posted:

How good is Project Fi customer service? I've never had anything but good customer service experiences with Fiber, but I'm gonna be pushing 2 days with no response on my phone buying thing. The store support person I talked to said I'd be getting an email from Project Fi support within 24 hours. This never happened so I sent them an email since chat was closed yesterday. No reply to that either so far. I can't really wait on them to call me at work based on how my breaks work, is chat going to be my best option to get ahold of them?

e: got ahold of support on chat, they're resetting my signup page. So hopefully after maintenance I'll be able to redo it.

Well every time I've ever talked to them they were fantastic.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

durk onion posted:

You wouldn't be able to port your number in that case though.

Eh....that's fine. My current number ended up on a bazillion telemarketing lists, time for a change.
I've heard doing something with Google Voice is a popular idea? What's all that about? I've never looked into it before, but one comment about it having better call clarity caught my attention.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just switched to Google fi on a Nexus 5x from Windows phone on at&t, so I'm not sure if this is a fi thing or an Android thing, but I can't get internet when I have only a carrier signal (no wifi). I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere I need to tweak, but I can't find it. What do I do?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

I just switched to Google fi on a Nexus 5x from Windows phone on at&t, so I'm not sure if this is a fi thing or an Android thing, but I can't get internet when I have only a carrier signal (no wifi). I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere I need to tweak, but I can't find it. What do I do?
I switched Thursday with a new 5x, porting a number from AT&T, and had a similar issue with cellular data connectivity; I was also having trouble receiving SMS (to a lesser extent, sending) on cell without wifi. Called support, they had me disable SMS in Hangouts which seemed to help that part specifically.

For the connectivity problem they mentioned that issues are common within 48 hours of porting a number. They also sent instructions for a "soft SIM reset" -- turn phone off, pop SIM out, turn phone on, go to something like Settings->Apps->Project Fi App->Clear data and cache, turn off, put SIM in, turn on and launch Project Fi app, give it a minute to activate. They said you might want to wait for that 48 hours to be up but I went ahead and did it and that seemed to fix it. But feel free to get in touch with support -- I had no problem getting a call back within a minute and they seemed knowledgeable and ready to escalate if needed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darkpriest667 posted:

Well every time I've ever talked to them they were fantastic.

email communications may be the issue. Got someone on chat today and they reset my signup and I just had to redo it. Phone on the way, should be on Fi by Tuesday.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Valicious posted:

Eh....that's fine. My current number ended up on a bazillion telemarketing lists, time for a change.
I've heard doing something with Google Voice is a popular idea? What's all that about? I've never looked into it before, but one comment about it having better call clarity caught my attention.

There's an excellent chance any new number you will get will also be on a zillion lists, telemarketing and otherwise, just FYI. They don't exactly "scrub" old numbers.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Valicious posted:

Your question is pretty vague, but Project Fi pretty much replaces Google Voice on your google account. What comment do you mean?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Just a FYI to anyone: I picked up a 5x to downsize from my 6, the SIM apparently is not compatible. I could make calls, SMS, but data and the Sprint network functionality didn't work; the Fi app would never go through the activation throwing am error. So a call to support and a link from them later, I've ordered a replacement SIM.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, they updated the SIM for the 5x and 6p. When you order one they ship you a replacement SIM too.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I switched Thursday with a new 5x, porting a number from AT&T, and had a similar issue with cellular data connectivity; I was also having trouble receiving SMS (to a lesser extent, sending) on cell without wifi. Called support, they had me disable SMS in Hangouts which seemed to help that part specifically.

For the connectivity problem they mentioned that issues are common within 48 hours of porting a number. They also sent instructions for a "soft SIM reset" -- turn phone off, pop SIM out, turn phone on, go to something like Settings->Apps->Project Fi App->Clear data and cache, turn off, put SIM in, turn on and launch Project Fi app, give it a minute to activate. They said you might want to wait for that 48 hours to be up but I went ahead and did it and that seemed to fix it. But feel free to get in touch with support -- I had no problem getting a call back within a minute and they seemed knowledgeable and ready to escalate if needed.

This seems to have done the trick. Oddly the fi app shows 2 Nexus devices (I have only one), and neither I nor the Google tech could remove it. It was like this before I did these steps but I think might have been part of the problem.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, they updated the SIM for the 5x and 6p. When you order one they ship you a replacement SIM too.

Bought mine via Amazon, so no SIM. :(

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My new 6p had a weird data usage spike Saturday where the Android OS apparently used 350mb while I went and picked up a pizza.

A chat with support and I got a 10 dollar credit this morning and they told me to just keep watch on it to see if it does it again before their engineers get it fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Your question is pretty vague, but Project Fi pretty much replaces Google Voice on your google account. What comment do you mean?

I just remember reading people talking a lot about Google Voice and Project Fi in the same posts - not on here, but other forums that I came across while researching. Does Fi support HD Voice?