Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We could just watch the anime, it's like 13 episodes and apparently really trippy looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Baal posted:

We could just watch the anime, it's like 13 episodes and apparently really trippy looking

Anime adaptations tend to feel rushed and bad when they try adapt a few light novels into 13 episodes, so i assume that adapting a 1200-page book into an anime will be even worse

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've heard the anime adaptation is surprisingly good, but idk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

I've heard the anime adaptation is surprisingly good, but idk
Gankutsuou isn't really an adaptation of the book, it more just takes the book's premise and goes in a totally different direction with it (it takes place in loving 5053 for one), but it is really really good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know the dub has Jamieson price so I'm obligated to watch it for that alone, but first I have to read this loving tome about Edmond Dantes which'll prove fruitless because I"M STILL NOT loving PULLING HIM

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

God drat Count of Monte Cristo is a huge rear end book

A lot of it is surprisingly bad, too. There's some good ideas in there (the basic plot of Edmond getting revenge on the people who wrongly imprisoned him without using direct violence, Eugenie's subplot, Noirtier's subplot), but it's clogged with bad ideas:

• The whole Valentine/Maximilien romance. I just don't care about them.
  • Fernand's character changes radically offscreen without any real explanation. He's always an rear end in a top hat, but he starts out as a hot-blooded rear end in a top hat who's proud of his Catalan heritage. At some point he becomes a calculating backstabber who pretends to be Parisian.
  • It feels like we're supposed to hate Danglars as much for his bad aesthetic taste as for his actions.
  • While I can certainly accept that Mercedes wouldn't stay loyal to Edmond's memory forever, it still seems weird that she marries Fernand specifically.
  • Dumas tries to have his cake and eat it too with the morality of revenge. Edmond showing "mercy" by letting Danglars live after bankrupting him and getting him kidnapped, for example. Worse, Dumas makes a point of Edmond being shocked by his actions unintentionally leading to Edouard's death after going out of his way to make Edouard as unlikable as possible, even though Edouard is a child.
  • I have trouble accepting that Edmond's Byronic edgelord schtick as the Count gets him admired rather than laughed at, even in 19th-century France. Though perhaps this is intentional social commentary (the poor are crazy, the rich merely eccentric).
  • It's also kind of funny how exotic Haydee is considered for being...a shut-in NEET. Her overcoming her shut-in-ness long enough to testify against Fernand is a good scene, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm excited

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm glad that us shut-in NEETs are finally getting representation in literature and i am now even more excited to someday get around to reading this book, as soon as i find a way to hold it without my arms getting tired in 10 minutes.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Silver2195 posted:

A lot of it is surprisingly bad, too. There's some good ideas in there (the basic plot of Edmond getting revenge on the people who wrongly imprisoned him without using direct violence, Eugenie's subplot, Noirtier's subplot), but it's clogged with bad ideas:

• The whole Valentine/Maximilien romance. I just don't care about them.
  • Fernand's character changes radically offscreen without any real explanation. He's always an rear end in a top hat, but he starts out as a hot-blooded rear end in a top hat who's proud of his Catalan heritage. At some point he becomes a calculating backstabber who pretends to be Parisian.
  • It feels like we're supposed to hate Danglars as much for his bad aesthetic taste as for his actions.
  • While I can certainly accept that Mercedes wouldn't stay loyal to Edmond's memory forever, it still seems weird that she marries Fernand specifically.
  • Dumas tries to have his cake and eat it too with the morality of revenge. Edmond showing "mercy" by letting Danglars live after bankrupting him and getting him kidnapped, for example. Worse, Dumas makes a point of Edmond being shocked by his actions unintentionally leading to Edouard's death after going out of his way to make Edouard as unlikable as possible, even though Edouard is a child.
  • I have trouble accepting that Edmond's Byronic edgelord schtick as the Count gets him admired rather than laughed at, even in 19th-century France. Though perhaps this is intentional social commentary (the poor are crazy, the rich merely eccentric).
  • It's also kind of funny how exotic Haydee is considered for being...a shut-in NEET. Her overcoming her shut-in-ness long enough to testify against Fernand is a good scene, though.

Wasn't The Count of Monte Cristo originally published as a serial? Some of the awkwardness might be chalked up to that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw I like Dantes' FGO design. He looks even better with his in-game Sprite, idk why he has DBZ beams though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Baal posted:

God drat Count of Monte Cristo is a huge rear end book

Here, let me summarize it for you.

:downs: : Oh boy, I'm ready for a happy life with the love of my life!
:argh: : Not if I have anything to say about it!
:downs: : Now I am in jail, what will I do with my life?
:geno: : Hi I'm some random old dude, let me teach you everything I know and give you the location to my vast hidden wealth.
:downs: : Sweet!

*TIME SKIP*

:downs: : I am now rich and powerful and I did cool stuff offscreen so I have a loyal servant girl. Time to strike back at the people who originally wronged me so all the readers can enjoy revenge fantasies!

*HE DOES*

:downs: : It is done. And now I feel empty.
;-* : I think I could fix that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The more you try to not sell me on this the more I want to read it because these descriptions are great

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's a trashy revenge fantasy with some minor musings on the morality of revenge, but because it's old it's esteemed.

Literature's cool like that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The double standards of literature are always fun.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Alexander Dumas: the original light novelist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

define light

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

define light

It wad originally serialized in a magazine, in eighteen installments. Pretty sure each of those would be like a light novel.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I was told once that the Count of Monte Cristo is where all the overpowered revenge fantasy LN protagonists can trace their lineage back to.
And this particular version plays it hilariously straight.

Baal posted:

Fwiw I like Dantes' FGO design. He looks even better with his in-game Sprite, idk why he has DBZ beams though.
He's got two NPs.
One's Monte Cristo Mythologia, why he can only get as Avenger. It's basically "I AM THE EDGE" as in it represents his existence as an avatar of vengeance (this is the Count, not Dantes, because Dantes got redemption. What we get is literally 100% edge) and it gives him super strong magic and physical attacks and the ability to gently caress with his stat screen like Lancelot. That's the DBZ beams.
His other NP (Enfer Chateau d'If) represents his mental ability and endurance, because see Chateau d'If wasn't just a prison of the flesh it was a prison of space and time so he gets superspeed because he THINKS SO FAST and can push his body to match. It's Kerry's Time Alter via sheer willpower. That's why his NP attack ends with a bunch of him beaming the poo poo out of the enemy. Those are speed clones.

Overpowered revenge fantasy LN protagonist fits him to a T.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Edge Lord Supreme. Makes it appropriate that he was designed by the Dangan Ronpa artist since that series is full of super high school level edge

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't push him cause he's close to the edge

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This owns though, I'm glad they just went all in on the Revenge Power Fantasy bullshit with him to the point where he just has DBZ beams because of how edgy he is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Count of Monte Cristo rules and so does the hilarious decision to just draw Nagito in different clothes

Gankutsou sucks

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They should have put Dartagnan (although Eon already fills the Musketeer niche) instead. Or hell, Caster Dumas from Strange fake. Lemme make the Caster writer (and book) team DW.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tarezax posted:

The anonymous public-domain English translation is sort of like the 19th-century equivalent of Baka-Tsuki, too.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ugh, used up my Quartz and not a single decent drop. I still don't have a decent Rider/Saber yet!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have 80 quartz painstakingly saved up and nearly 20 summoning tickets; sorry Delight Works, but as much as I like Komaeda voiced by Mr Angry Dude from Arslan Senki I am saving this for your next 5* Caster or Lancer fishing bait.

I'm tempted to use them on the normal gacha with Saber/Tama/Elizabeth since I kinda want them but who knows, maybe they'll put out Mulan next?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You should be saving your quartz for April Fool's anyway, because i choose to believe that some kind of really fun Servant will be introduced then because TM loves April Fool's

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
it's shirou

but in saber's clothes

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Freak Futanari posted:

You should be saving your quartz for April Fool's anyway, because i choose to believe that some kind of really fun Servant will be introduced then because TM loves April Fool's

p sure that'd clash with 'merica.

Also Nasu blogged that he'd take a break during April Fool's. TM would keep chugging along tho.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/5875-The-BAMBOO-BROOM-DIARY-%28Nasu-and-Takeuchi-blog%29?p=2290630&viewfull=1#post2290630

quote:

2016/3/14: Mwahahahahahahaha! (Kinoko)

Were you expecting a mere Cavern King*?
Too bad! He was a Super High School-tier Heroic Spirit instead!

Alright, I said it before anyone else did!
While I'm breaking news a step ahead of the rest, here's another announcement.
A Komatsuzaki Servant is finally in the game, but the Cavern King's true worth is in his third stage...
You could call it a condensation of his chuuni essence...

By the way, TYPE-MOON will have its usual shenanigans for April Fools' this year, but I'm officially taking a break.
I went over the top last year so I need to restrain myself this year... that's impossible... just impossible... who'd have thought it would be this tough playing video games all year...

*"Gankutsuou" was the Japanese title for the first translations of The Count of Monte Cristo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
He really is a Japanese GRRM.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless you, Kinoko Nasu, you beautiful, crazy man.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So basically i should just spend the rest of my quartz to try to get Dantes

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Update: I spent my quartz and i want to die

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You and me both, my friend

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Turns out Angra Mainyu was already in the game, because this gacha is truly All The Evils Of The World

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Freak Futanari posted:

Turns out Angra Mainyu was already in the game, because this gacha is truly All The Evils Of The World
Kotemine avanger. :arghfist:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I want Angra in as the weakest servant in the game

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like I just rolled another five star. Who could it be?

:c00l:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
wow, that literally is just straight up nagito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

-Troika- posted:

Looks like I just rolled another five star. Who could it be?

:c00l:

I'm going to loving uninstall