Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Scathach posted:

No... it's not racist enough.

Silhouetted, sombrero adorned figures hanging from the palm tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quadrophrenic posted:

imgur has just given up on trying to be funny, huh

they never tried

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

They'd probably get stopped by the paywall anyway.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Scathach posted:

No... it's not racist enough.

It's also not bankrupt.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This is certainly new territory:
http://imgur.com/gallery/7PLDs

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

blarzgh posted:

This is certainly new territory:
http://imgur.com/gallery/7PLDs

It is always interesting to hear survivors accounts, even (and sometimes especially) if they come from kind of lovely people. I mean hell, Maus is an account of the holocaust from the son of a survivor who was absolutely miserable to deal with in real life, and one of the reasons it's an amazing book is that those very same traits that made him awful to be around helped him survive through Auschwitz. Plus, people who go through atrocities like that are definitely more likely to have issues, and probably more likely to be assholes.

Then again it's a greentext story, so the chances of it being real are slim. Ah well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

>clicked link
>saw obnoxious format
>story was bull poo poo
>who writes like this
>closed link

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

trapped mouse posted:

Then again it's a greentext story, so the chances of it being real are slim. Ah well.

Imgur as a 5-10 minute time waste is about the sum of its value.

However, I both appreciate that it tries to poo poo on the idea of a unified group-think narrative on the list of opinions that are acceptable, and also cringe at the trembling, new-born-baby-deer efforts of its pre-teen mind to do so.

Its like if career contrarian Christopher Hitchens took a poo poo on the floor as he died, and the poo poo started posting the Bear memes and stdh.txt.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

trapped mouse posted:

It is always interesting to hear survivors accounts, even (and sometimes especially) if they come from kind of lovely people. I mean hell, Maus is an account of the holocaust from the son of a survivor who was absolutely miserable to deal with in real life, and one of the reasons it's an amazing book is that those very same traits that made him awful to be around helped him survive through Auschwitz. Plus, people who go through atrocities like that are definitely more likely to have issues, and probably more likely to be assholes.

I'm compelled to effortpost about this a little bit, just because I'm in two classes right now that touch on the idea of survivor accounts and collective memory. Primo Levi talked at length about the propensity towards valorizing survivors and victims and it takes a lot of effort to reconcile his accounts with this mythic idea of the survivor as a long-suffering, perfect saint. Moreover, we're often challenged by accounts that create nuance to an event, like the idea that the Columbine shooters weren't one dimensional characters that reinforce the idea that bullying -> torment -> retaliation. Beyond that, there's a lot of literature about survivor accounts (or even just non-academic or oral testimonies) that challenge our collective memory of an event and usually get discarded because of that. It's incredibly hard to fit our comprehension of an event together with conflicting information.

In this case, I just think it's really interesting, greentext or not, to see a recollection of an event that doesn't align with collective memory. Maybe it's weird seeing someone recall it with such a blase tone, but some people in the comments are downright aggressive about his tone, like his testimony is completely invalid as a first-hand experience because it doesn't validate their memory. It's in cases like this that it's not even necessarily important if a story is even true or not, but it's wild to see people act out with such intensity over an event that they didn't survive, either, or maybe weren't even alive to see.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

I'm compelled to effortpost about this a little bit,

The internet is a place where people go to have their beliefs reinforced, not challenged. The internet is a place where people aren't connected by proximity, physical activity, names, or faces - only ideas. When an Idea comes along that doesn't fit: "disconnect." [block, mute, report, close, dogpile, ban, whatever.]

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

The internet is a place where people go to have their beliefs reinforced, not challenged. The internet is a place where people aren't connected by proximity, physical activity, names, or faces - only ideas. When an Idea comes along that doesn't fit: "disconnect." [block, mute, report, close, dogpile, ban, whatever.]

you sound angry that people don't want to argue with you

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

you sound angry that people don't want to argue with you

NO I DONT. Your response?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cash crab posted:

It's incredibly hard to fit our comprehension of an event together with conflicting information.

Once public perception of Columbine solidified and the victims were effectively deified, it became impossible to have any meaningful discussion about how the everliving gently caress two boys in a first-world high school were driven to make a suicide pact and spend weeks planning an armed assault on the building during operating hours with the express intent of killing as many people as possible.

Everyone "knew" what happened, so any theories or even first-hand accounts that challenged what we "knew" were ignored.

"Maybe it wasn't videogames?"

"No, the police found Doom on their comptuers."

"That one girl said those kids had it really rough and were bullied all the time, you think maybe that had something to do with it?"

"No, everyone was reading their bibles at the time and they all got along and nobody said or did anything bad to those boys WHY ARE YOU BLAMING THE VICTIMS"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually it's pretty clear and decisive why Columbine happened, it happened because Eric Harris wanted to be the most famous terrorist in America. he could not have been any more clear on this point.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Got a winner today:

http://imgur.com/gallery/xhfIsNC

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

blarzgh posted:

I don't think this is exclusive to the internet for any event, but even more so in "important" historical events. I was recently in a seminar where we were talking about police battalions that were responsible for a lot of killings in Poland during the war, and when my professor suggested that in the same situation, many of us (the students) wouldn't necessarily have acted more morally, one kid lost his loving marbles. He absolutely disconnected from the situation and insisted over and over again that in Nazi Germany, he would have been one of the good guys. He couldn't wrap his head around the idea that people who think they're good might do lovely stuff. It was a riot to watch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

>clicked link
>saw obnoxious format
>story was bull poo poo
>who writes like this
>closed link

I loving hate this and do not know why so many idiots do it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only time typing with a > at the front should be when running very old software.

>run Yes_I_am_old_enough_to_remember_c64_dos_and_apple_II.exe

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I know it's been a 4chan thing for as long as there's been a 4chan, but I honestly have no idea why.

They use it so inconsistently, too. Sometimes it's:

> Be me
>Be 14
> Jack off all day
> lol

And then other times it's:

> So one time my cousin and I were playing MarioKart and
> He said he was hungry so we decided to go
> Get some taquitos so we got in his
> Car and drove to Circle K

It's kinda like how tumblr uses hashtags.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ifuckingloveitwhenfemalesgethurt.gif

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

walrusman posted:

I know it's been a 4chan thing for as long as there's been a 4chan, but I honestly have no idea why.

They use it so inconsistently, too. Sometimes it's:

> Be me
>Be 14
> Jack off all day
> lol

And then other times it's:

> So one time my cousin and I were playing MarioKart and
> He said he was hungry so we decided to go
> Get some taquitos so we got in his
> Car and drove to Circle K

It's kinda like how tumblr uses hashtags.

Originally it was supposed to be quoted posts, or block quotes type thing. So instead of a hovering box, all your words would be started with a > and in the color green.

But now I don't know what the gently caress and I'm fine with that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

This checks out

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

isn't dennis miller the guy who was the proto-jon stewart, and then became a crazy conservative?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superdelegates are BS so I agree with him

CommunistPancake posted:

isn't dennis miller the guy who was the proto-jon stewart before he started becoming a crazy conservative?

He's a less funny John Stewart with Bill Maher smugness.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CommunistPancake posted:

isn't dennis miller the guy who was the proto-jon stewart, and then became a crazy conservative?

Yes, what does he even care about the Democratic nomination for?

Agree that superdelegates are BS, but the Republicans had the same setup until 2015 (though with fewer superdelegates) for what that's worth. Also, Mitt Romney said he was voting for Cruz, which I thought Republican superdelegates couldn't do (vote for the non-primary winner).

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Mar 19, 2016

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
Dennis millers twitter avatar looks like an older dennis renolyds from always sunny. Take what ever implications you want from that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, what does he even care about the Democratic nomination for?

Agree that superdelegates are BS, but the Republicans had the same setup until 2015 (though with fewer superdelegates) for what that's worth. Also, Mitt Romney said he was voting for Cruz, which I thought Republican superdelegates couldn't do (vote for the non-primary winner).

He hates Hillary

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
even if you get rid of super delegates completely though, bernie still has less votes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yea Hillary would probably still win but at least people will feel like their votes were counted.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

This has my vote for new thread title.

I had to shorten it but :agreed:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If Bernie didn't lose a bunch of states by huge margins, he wouldn't be losing either.

maeks u think

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
what? saddam makes cromwell look like chamberlain? wha- that's wonderful, you truly are the king of references!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

even if you get rid of super delegates completely though, bernie still has less votes.

If you believe three people on my Facebook, you can write in Bernie for President and he'll win the general election!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Eponine posted:

If you believe three people on my Facebook, you can write in Bernie for President and he'll win the general election!

I've had one so far. This election is making me sad from start to finish.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Bernie is the left-wing Ron Paul

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I've seen people argue that because most media outlets have been reporting the primary totals including the superdelegates without ever explaining that those are votes that haven't actually been cast and could go the other way if the somewhat close race shifted toward Sanders, that people who might have gone out to vote for him in their primaries have stayed home. Which has a ring of truth to it. If people had been leaning toward Bernie thought the race was basically over because of how it's reported, what impetus would they have to go vote for something that isn't the actual election?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It's almost like the system is kind of dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goose fleet posted:

Bernie is the left-wing Ron Paul

bernie owns, actually