Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

darthzeta88 posted:

What is ghost heat? I generally alpha my lasers unless shooting at small mechs.

If you fire more than some number of a given weapon (or weapon type) at once, it produces extra heat. This was intended to curtail boating but mostly just makes players boat in slightly different ways or take minor steps to avoid the penalty.

Also, why not alpha at small mechs...? Unless you mean it would be major overkill, I guess, but generally you want to put someone down ASAP even if it means a little extra heat. Maybe moreso for lights since they're squirrely and you usually don't have a long window for taking shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Ghost Heat Explained by Paul:

I hope that explains everything

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

taqueso posted:

Do I have to fire 7+ in .5 seconds or does each firing reset the timer? Like if I fire 1 small laser every 200ms, will the seventh still have ghost heat?

No it won't.

Also, you won't be effective.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here's a list of which weapons are grouped together for ghost heat purposes, and what the penalties are for violating ghost heat.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale

Note that Russ' chart doesn't match what's actually in game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A.o.D. posted:

Also, you won't be effective.

Sure, I've just been wondering how it worked for awhile and couldn't find a clear answer. Thanks.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lonjon posted:

I've been talking to a few people on Mumble about putting together small groups of helper Goon teams. The idea would be to make a lance of 4 or so fast mechs and outfit them with just support weapons (Tag, NARC, and optionally flamers). We would rush ahead of the other 8 members of our team and quickly scout, tag, and NARC as many of the enemy as we possibly can.

This will help our teammates get better by giving them valuable tactical map info, as well as giving them good targeting information for their LRMs to lock onto. And, even though we will be going fast and making first contact, our carrying just support weapons will mean that we won't be stealing kills from or detracting from the scores and cbill income of our teammates. We will quickly die doing this, but in doing so we will provide an invaluable benefit for our remaining team members.

Also, since we are likely to die early in each match, we will be able to quit the match, switch to a different helper mech in our mechbay, and help a different group of pubbies in a new match while our previous friends win their glory in the match that we just left. We will be able to help many, many people this way if we are quick and selfless!

It's worth pointing out that playing in this way might drop our pilot tier rating somewhat. Please don't get upset if you notice your Tier rating go down a bit.

I'll be on Mumble tonight. Join me if you'd like to join Tag Team!

Quoting myself because I'm doing this tonight. I even made some pretty sweet robots. Join me in Mumble if you feel like giving back to the community!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A.o.D. posted:

Ghost heat is an undocumented penalty for firing too many weapons of certain types.

For instance, if you fire more than 6 clan small or medium lasers of any type together (firing 7 er mediums will trigger the penalty, as will firing 3 er smalls, 2 small pulse, a medium pulse, and an er medium) causes the weapons to generate extra heat. How much heat depends on which weapon triggers the penalty and how many in excess of the ghost heat threshold are fired.

The fun part is that ghost heat was designed to prevent players from fielding non-canonical mech builds that feature them boating all of the same weapon system

Such non-canonical builds include the Nova PRIME, the Warhawk PRIME, the Direwolf Prime, the Executioner PRIME, the Awesome, and I'm sure that there are others I'm forgetting.

Hunchback-4P.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Supraluminal posted:

Also, why not alpha at small mechs...? Unless you mean it would be major overkill, I guess, but generally you want to put someone down ASAP even if it means a little extra heat. Maybe moreso for lights since they're squirrely and you usually don't have a long window for taking shots.

I am a light mech user and my aim sucks so engaging a brawl with another light mech turns out better for me if I heat manage. Large mechs I can hit and run easier.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've got 13 non qualifying games. God drat, but the brawling quickdraw is rough. You are tall as poo poo so you can't hang back and not get lasered before the brawl, and you don't do as much damage as a griffin when you finally close that distance. I make holes in one, two guys and inevitably get cored. Goddamn.

I think the thing I hate about domination the most is everyone says it forces a brawl but it doesn't. It forces you to sit in cover just barely inside the circle and get sniped forever. If you try to brawl, ever, you get wrecked by stepping into the no-mans land that everyone is shooting into.

This poo poo is trench warfare and I hate it.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 18, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

darthzeta88 posted:

I am a light mech user and my aim sucks so engaging a brawl with another light mech turns out better for me if I heat manage. Large mechs I can hit and run easier.

I used to be real bad too: what helped me is realising that for a high percentage shot.you can set your crosshairs and then run a path that means the crosshairs drift across the target. Before I learnt that I tended to jerkthe lasers around or even miss completely.

You have like three full alphas before you should be running, so you want them to land.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.

Krinkle posted:

I've got 13 non qualifying games. God drat, but the brawling quickdraw is rough. You are tall as poo poo so you can't hang back and not get lasered before the brawl, and you don't do as much damage as a griffin when you finally close that distance. I make holes in one, two guys and inevitably get cored. Goddamn.

I think the thing I hate about domination the most is everyone says it forces a brawl but it doesn't. It forces you to sit in cover just barely inside the circle and get sniped forever. If you try to brawl, ever, you get wrecked by stepping into the no-mans land that everyone is shooting into.

This poo poo is trench warfare and I hate it.

One person on your team has to sit under cover. The rest of you are free to go around and kill whoever else is in the circle or around it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Aferisan posted:

One person on your team has to sit under cover. The rest of you are free to go around and kill whoever else is in the circle or around it.

This.

Had a wolfhound sit behind some rocks on Grim. Red team gets distracted, then you just run over and shoot some butts.

I didn't think I'd like the Cicada, but that six MLas one is sick.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

darthzeta88 posted:

You gotta do whatever works for you I guess, but my advice would be to just not bother shooting until you get a good shot lined up. It's OK to jockey for position and then nuke the other guy's leg in one shot rather than rake him fifty-seven times, even if it means losing out on potential DPS.

sebmojo posted:

I used to be real bad too: what helped me is realising that for a high percentage shot.you can set your crosshairs and then run a path that means the crosshairs drift across the target. Before I learnt that I tended to jerkthe lasers around or even miss completely.

You have like three full alphas before you should be running, so you want them to land.

On a related note (or maybe this is what you were saying?), try to line up a shot where you can minimize the amount you turn your legs during the burn. It helps tremendously with putting all your laser damage on one component. Even worse is trying to get hits in when you're cranked all the way over to max torso twist in a mech with no arm yaw; get oriented so you have some slack to use first.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Another thing that might help you with fighting lights is waiting for the enemy light to be running directly toward or directly away from you before you take your shot. If you're dogfighting another light this will happen often. Usually the light will try to move in a circle pattern. Catch him in the part of the circle where he's moving right at you or away from you. Makes it much easier to land your shots.

Dang, does that make sense? A better light pilot could explain it better I'm sure.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is it possible to switch out the colour palette for the game's UI so I can read my heat percentage quickly against dark backgrounds?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Lonjon posted:

Another thing that might help you with fighting lights is waiting for the enemy light to be running directly toward or directly away from you before you take your shot. If you're dogfighting another light this will happen often. Usually the light will try to move in a circle pattern. Catch him in the part of the circle where he's moving right at you or away from you. Makes it much easier to land your shots.

Dang, does that make sense? A better light pilot could explain it better I'm sure.

Yeah, I mean it's all about finding moments where relative apparent motion is minimal (i.e. the target is not moving around on your screen a bunch). Target running directly towards or away is one situation where that happens.

It's trickier if you're both in lights because you're usually both squirreling around like crazy, but you still want to watch for those moments and engineer them when possible. Don't be afraid to crash stop for a perfect shot if it makes sense.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Commoners posted:

I have bought the summoner.

It's the fattest Light `Mech in the game.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do all the Hellbringers have the same lovely yaw? Seems like any map where you need to shoot more than about 10 degrees up or down you can't hit anything.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Do all the Hellbringers have the same lovely yaw? Seems like any map where you need to shoot more than about 10 degrees up or down you can't hit anything.

Yaw is left/right, pitch is up/down.

Smurfy has all the pitch/yaw numbers: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_heavy_hellbringer

Looks like all Hellbringers' pitch ranges are 20 degrees torso, 30 degrees arms. Not much different from all the other heavies.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
low mounts are the bane of my life. Ive been mastering black knights.

I like to imagine the laser is coming directly from my mech peepee.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Aferisan posted:

I'd like to think it a dazzling belt buckle. But if that's what gets you through the day, more power to you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Supraluminal posted:

Yaw is left/right, pitch is up/down.

Smurfy has all the pitch/yaw numbers: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_heavy_hellbringer

Looks like all Hellbringers' pitch ranges are 20 degrees torso, 30 degrees arms. Not much different from all the other heavies.

The main deal with the Hellbringer is that you often as not put everything in the torso rather than the arms, which is what catches me out at least when I'm expecting to be able to shoot a UAV.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

Ghost Heat Explained by Paul:

I hope that explains everything

I loving love that he didn't even bother to delete "Series1" off of that excel graph. That's like bush league poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Aferisan posted:

yeah the knight is a nice example of how quirks can make a bad design playable

like even with the low mounts it's still a T1 IS heavy because that 58-point alpha is quick and brutal

really interested to see what the Archer looks like once they give it the requirks which should be early next week

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Safety Factor posted:

I loving love that he didn't even bother to delete "Series1" off of that excel graph. That's like bush league poo poo.

If I was marking his lab report I also would have docked marks for not labeling the axes with names and units.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

really interested to see what the Archer looks like once they give it the requirks which should be early next week
I'll believe it when I see it. They would probably deal with the fallout from releasing a poo poo nostalgia mech than every mech from here out having demands for a week one buff

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
did i win the game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A Curvy Goonette posted:

did i win the game

in other events that would be something cool like a 'mech :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I have zero incentive for this grab bag. Super lame

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah I have zero incentive for this grab bag. Super lame

C-Bills and MC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Meh.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Its just playing normal games and you get free stuff, that's it really.

If you think of it as trying to get all the grab bags well then yeah you get burnt out but a few mc for free and you have a one shot camo and the cockpit things are always cool.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cockpit things that aren't war horns are awful and just clutter up the screen. I mean I'm playing but I'm not going to do more than my usual hour a day for this. A free mech even a lovely one will at least get me to go after a few extra pulls.

Really I think I'm just annoyed at the top tier thing being s ugly loving mug of green beer. I'd rather have 100k cbills or 5 mc

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cockpit things that aren't war horns are awful and just clutter up the screen.

you are literally a joyless gently caress

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gonna need all this cockpit visibility to shoot this robot the size of a skyscraper

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The war horn is totally going to distract from the looping animated GIF computer screens conveying vital battlefield information.

You should fill your cockpit up with spinning holo maps, dangling C-Bill medallions and flashing war horns or xmas lights. Think of them as a crib mobile for your dead team member spectators.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cockpit things that aren't war horns are awful and just clutter up the screen. I mean I'm playing but I'm not going to do more than my usual hour a day for this. A free mech even a lovely one will at least get me to go after a few extra pulls.

Really I think I'm just annoyed at the top tier thing being s ugly loving mug of green beer. I'd rather have 100k cbills or 5 mc

I feel like warhorns are too big and block too much of the view but I roll with my fuzzy dice and Classy Mech in my main rides and I will never stop.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Ever since the patch it won't capture the mouse until I alt tab away and back again so the first shot of the game, peeking the first hill, running into the enemy, it will lose focus and get me cored. I don't like this bug.
Same here.

Good thing the other changes are so loving stupid I don't want to play anymore. I guess we were due though... it's been awhile since :pgi: did something massively incompetent. Nice of them to remind us it's still the same idiot(s) calling the shots.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

DOMDOM posted:

Good thing the other changes are so loving stupid I don't want to play anymore. I guess we were due though... it's been awhile since :pgi: did something massively incompetent. Nice of them to remind us it's still the same idiot(s) calling the shots.

I didn't buy a phoenix hawk.

I didn't buy my favorite bad robot in BT despite having more money than sense and a wallet that becomes supercharged when you add booze.

I have lots of booze, but not enough to make me want to spend $$$ on stupidly overpriced bad robots in a game with mechanics drawn on cocktail napkins while drunk on, what I can only assume, a terrible canadian whiskey.

:smith:

PS- canadian whiskey sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Picked up a Gargoyle last night for want of a fast assault. Then I put 12 small pulse lasers on it. Apparently if you do that, you can peel anything you get close enough to like a grape.

• Locked thread