Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

King of Bleh posted:

The problem with the arkadia plot this season is that it's made plenty of conceptual sense, but all the critical emotional beats have either been classic "told and not shown" blunders (farm station's background, the election, the massacre of the peaceful grounders), or handled extremely ham-handedly (the mount weather bombing). There's no basis for audience buy-in, it's like being given the cliff notes of a plot and maybe one chapter in the middle.
Yeah, basically this season I feel like the show is still rushing through to get to where it wants to be but thinks the things inbetween like setup and emotional stakes are the unfun vegetable parts of the microwave dinner. But they aren't. And this time I feel like the creators bought into their own hype to think they can do no wrong even though there was plenty to criticise about the whole Finn thing in S2.

I wouldn't be surprised if they unironically thought Clarke mass murdering another group of people at the end of the season was actually a great, legitimate idea and not just a joke. I guess she passed the ball to Farm Station, but maybe it'll come back to her before all is said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Iron Rose posted:

oh my god shut up already this has nothing to do with anything

Its actually quite relevant. While Clarke, Kane, Abby and a few others are able to make a distinction between grounder clans, I doubt very much that most Arkers came make the difference. To them, a grounder is a grounder is a grounder. Especially to Pike, clans are irrelevent.

For most of Arkadia, grounders is a blanket statement.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dalael posted:

Its actually quite relevant. While Clarke, Kane, Abby and a few others are able to make a distinction between grounder clans, I doubt very much that most Arkers came make the difference. To them, a grounder is a grounder is a grounder. Especially to Pike, clans are irrelevent.

For most of Arkadia, grounders is a blanket statement.

The difference, of course, to arkadia a grounder is a grounder is a grounder. The entirety of their experience with grounders has been Lincoln. On the other hand, Trikru abandoned them to die at Mt Weather, the Ice Queen blew up Mt Weather after Arkadia settled it, Lexa failed to extradite the Ice Queen to Arkadia to face trial and judgement, and of course Trikru slaughtered dozens of children back in season one, which included the use of biological warfare. Every single grounder that we've seen that isn't Lexa wants to see Skykru dead. Literally every one now that Lexa is dead!

You're right that grounders is a blanket statement to Arkadia. That's because, frankly, grounds as a blanket statement is an accurate statement as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread has gone to poo poo in like 2 weeks.

Used to be a great thread until Tumblrs Against Stuff walked in and kicked over all the furniture.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rocksicles posted:

Used to be a great thread until Tumblrs Against Stuff walked in and kicked over all the furniture.

sorry not sorry if you try and discuss this show anywhere right now you're gonna get the same thing :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Troposphere posted:

yeah

I think it would have helped a lot to just show the election and give the arkers a bit of a voice to really show how perceptions have changed because of the mt. weather incident.

Yea, a flashback to farm station and their first 3 months / election episode would have been nice.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm really glad the thread is actually discussing the show right now rather than discussing LGBTQ representation in popular media. If I may ask, what do you find to be disagreeable with the thread currently, and how may we make your thread experience more pleasant?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Examples of ones I've heard about : ... fans of the game Dragon Age.
Yeah this is suppose to be the age of tolerance or some poo poo but come the gently caress on.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Iron Rose posted:

The difference, of course, to arkadia a grounder is a grounder is a grounder. The entirety of their experience with grounders has been Lincoln. On the other hand, Trikru abandoned them to die at Mt Weather, the Ice Queen blew up Mt Weather after Arkadia settled it, Lexa failed to extradite the Ice Queen to Arkadia to face trial and judgement, and of course Trikru slaughtered dozens of children back in season one, which included the use of biological warfare. Every single grounder that we've seen that isn't Lexa wants to see Skykru dead. Literally every one now that Lexa is dead!

You're right that grounders is a blanket statement to Arkadia. That's because, frankly, grounds as a blanket statement is an accurate statement as well.

Again, you're doing a blanket statement about the grounders. Have you seen all the grounders? Did they all affirm their intentions to kill Skykru? You're talking about a whole lot of people who apparently all share the same ideal. Killing every member of skykru.
You also forget that justice was carried out on the Ice Queen. Lexa was bringing them the queen's body when she stumbled upon the dead grounder army. You know the one where another somewhat friendly grounder was almost killed? An army that was there with order to defend skykru from Ice Nation. Who had placed its sentries in a position to guard against an attack from the north and not the direction of Arkadia?

See what I'm saying? Blanket statements about an entire nation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I know this is the official spelling, but it feels so bizarre to me because in my mind I spell it as "Sky Crew". :shrug:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Huh, I thought it was Skaikru, but idk why I thought that

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I believe in the grounder language they don't use y's. Who knows, really, it's all made up anyway. Skaikru is "correct" spelling.

http://the100.wikia.com/wiki/Trigedasleng_(language)

I find languages like this pretty fascinating to read/listen to - The Expanse has Belter creole which is awesome. Trigedasleng isn't a true creole because it's not a mash of different languages, as I understand it, but it's pretty cool.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dalael posted:

Again, you're doing a blanket statement about the grounders. Have you seen all the grounders? Did they all affirm their intentions to kill Skykru? You're talking about a whole lot of people who apparently all share the same ideal. Killing every member of skykru.
You also forget that justice was carried out on the Ice Queen. Lexa was bringing them the queen's body when she stumbled upon the dead grounder army. You know the one where another somewhat friendly grounder was almost killed? An army that was there with order to defend skykru from Ice Nation. Who had placed its sentries in a position to guard against an attack from the north and not the direction of Arkadia?

See what I'm saying? Blanket statements about an entire nation.

Every grounder we've seen on the show that has expressed an opinion on Skykru isn't Lexa, Lincoln, or that one trader girl has been opposed to Skykru and wanted to see them dead.

The army in question that was attacked would have been used to wipe trikru out if the Ice Queen had succeeded in killing Lexa. No nation would tolerate a potentially hostile army on their doorstep when they had the power if it had the power to ensure otherwise.

the Ice Queen was brought to justice, but justice at the hands of the grounders, not Arkadia. The arkers turned Finn over to face justice at the hands of the grounders, yet when Arkadia is attacked and many of their own murdered, they just have to sit back and trust that Lexa will take care of everything?

I think not. Pike's right. Pike has always been right.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pike was wrong once, he failed to have Kane killed at the first hint of sedition. I get his need to act and be seen acting in a lawful manner, but seriously, he should have put a bullet in that treasonous gently caress four episodes ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Walking Dead killed off a lesbian this week, is the internet on fire again or do they only care if they're "hot"?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

So the Walking Dead killed off a lesbian this week, is the internet on fire again or do they only care if they're "hot"?

yeah people are super pissed about it. vanity fair wrote another article about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

yeah people are super pissed about it. vanity fair wrote another article about it.

I haven't seen a peep anywhere like last time which is why I asked.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

I haven't seen a peep anywhere like last time which is why I asked.

all the lesbian blogs I follow are super mad and have been posting about it nonstop. I think there's less outrage because they didn't really have the lgbt fanbase like the 100 did but wow talk about bad timing on twd's part haha

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The only conceivable endgame here is Alycia playing a lesbian on FTWD and dying there too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

all the lesbian blogs I follow are super mad and have been posting about it nonstop. I think there's less outrage because they didn't really have the lgbt fanbase like the 100 did but wow talk about bad timing on twd's part haha

Ah. Well I don't follow any sexuality specific blogs which might be why I haven't seen the outcry.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.

And the Farm Station Flashback should be named "And they shall beat their plowshares into swords".

But then again, I'm a sucker for old timey pretentious scifi episode titles.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

And the Farm Station Flashback should be named "And they shall beat their plowshares into swords".

But then again, I'm a sucker for old timey pretentious scifi episode titles.

Sounds like the name of a post-rock band. Who would Pike be? Monty's mom is probably the second rhythm guitarist, expendable and sometimes pointless. Bellamy could be the drummer, since he can change pace so quickly...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Sounds like the name of a post-rock band. Who would Pike be? Monty's mom is probably the second rhythm guitarist, expendable and sometimes pointless. Bellamy could be the drummer, since he can change pace so quickly...

Pike is obviously the lead vocalist since he loves talking and giving speeches so much. Monty would be the guy who sets up all the equipment (and eventually rigs it so the mic stand electrocutes Pike).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But post rock doesn't have vocals.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

But post rock doesn't have vocals.

A Silver Mt. Zion would beg to differ. Or uh, Sigur Ros, since they seem to be lumped in there quite frequently.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mogwai has vocals, And So I Watch You From Afar has vocals, the list goes on.

I could see Pike being the rear end in a top hat synth player who forces the band to play some really weird and bad songs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

yep the article I linked goes into that, as well as this sweet tweet by orlando jones

this is getting a ton of publicity and traction, it's not going away anytime soon. like it or not this is a pretty huge deal and is getting the attention of a lot of networks on how to deal with this kind of situation. the way it was handled by the showrunner was not good, and it's an unfortunate misstep and I'm not sure if they can fully recover from it, but we'll see.

the person who is handling it the best is surprisingly the guy who wrote the episode who is going to be the showrunner on the new Xena series so that's promising!

Yeah, more people should learn the lesson "Give up on your ambition to write a compelling story, pander to idiots instead!"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Showrunners and writers need to learn to stay the gently caress away from social media.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hope and vaseline posted:

Showrunners and writers need to learn to stay the gently caress away from social media.

This strikes me as a good lesson. Let the actors do that poo poo.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
according to Ricky Whittle, Jason Rothenberg forbid the actors to interact with each other or fans much on social media or post behind the scenes stuff because he wanted to do that that so he would get more followers

idk how true that is but the other actors have been pretty supportive of Ricky so I wouldn't be surprised if it were true

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Most writers and showrunners I follow generally know their boundaries. It sounds like Rotherberg might not if that's the case.

Most other writers just tweet like regular people. Just on top of "hey make sure to tune in tonight for a new episode" or whatever, especially if they wrote it they might livetweet it or sometimes retweet some behind the scenes stuff. I've had writers say (in general) "if you tweet me any episode pitches I must block you for everyone's sake". They sure don't go baiting super hard for retweets or fanart or anything. Maybe just like positive reactions at best.

Literally the most annoying my twitter feed ever got was Shawn Ryan retweeting positive tweets for Mad Dogs, mostly cause I didn't particularly like it but it was relatively harmless stuff too.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Still No Episode Tonight, But There Is One Next Week :siren:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, more people should learn the lesson "Give up on your ambition to write a compelling story, pander to idiots instead!"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Showrunner breaks silence over Lexa's death

quote:

“Since our episode ‘Thirteen’ aired three weeks ago, I’ve spent a great deal of time reading letters, blogs, tweets and articles from passionate women and men of all ages who were angered and saddened that the character Lexa was killed off immediately after a love scene with our hero Clarke. I’m still processing this. I’m still learning. But I have gained perspective and more than ever, I am profoundly grateful to you, our fans.

“No series, no episode of television, exists in a vacuum. As an audience, we bring with us our life experience, the events of the time, and the collective memory of all the stories we have been entertained by (or not). Every relationship. Every love scene or act of violence. Every revelation or cliché. Every original story and, yes, every trope. The worst shows retread the formula. The best transcend cliché, opening our eyes to new ways of thinking, and welcome new audiences in.

“For many fans of The 100, the relationship between Clarke and Lexa was a positive step of inclusion. I take enormous pride in that, as I do in the fact that our show is heading into its 4th season with a bisexual lead and a very diverse cast. The honesty, integrity and vulnerability Eliza Taylor and Alycia Debnam-Carey brought to their characters served as an inspiration for many of our fans. Their relationship held greater importance than even I realized. And that very important representation was taken away by one stray bullet.

“The thinking behind having the ultimate tragedy follow the ultimate joy was to heighten the drama and underscore the universal fragility of life. But the end result became something else entirely — the perpetuation of the disturbing ‘Bury Your Gays’ trope. Our aggressive promotion of the episode, and of this relationship, only fueled a feeling of betrayal.

“While I now understand why this criticism came our way, it leaves me heartbroken. I promise you burying, baiting or hurting anyone was never our intention. It’s not who I am.

“In the show-world, no one is safe, and anyone, even a beloved character, can die, at any time. My favorite shows in this genre embrace a similar sense of heightened urgency. There are several reasons why this particular episode played out the way it did: practical (an actress was leaving the show), creative (it’s a story about reincarnation) and thematic (it’s a show about survival). Despite my reasons, I still write and produce television for the real world where negative and hurtful tropes exist. And I am very sorry for not recognizing this as fully as I should have. Knowing everything I know now, Lexa’s death would have played out differently.

“The 100 is a post-apocalyptic tragedy set 130 years in the future. It’s a constant life and death struggle. In our show, all relationships start with one question: ‘Can you help me survive today?’ It doesn’t matter what color you are, what gender identity you are, or whether you’re gay, bi or straight. The things that divide us as global citizens today don’t matter in this show. And that’s the beauty of science-fiction. We can make a point without preaching. We can say that race, sexuality, gender and disability should not divide us. We can elevate our thinking and take you on a helluva ride at the same time.

“But I’ve been powerfully reminded that the audience takes that ride in the real world — where LGBTQ teens face repeated discrimination, often suffer from depression and commit suicide at a rate far higher than their straight peers. Where people still face discrimination because of the color of their skin. Where, in too many places, women are not given the same opportunities as men, especially LGBTQ women who face even tougher odds. And where television characters are still not fully representative of the diverse lives of our audience. Not even close.

“Those of us lucky enough to have a platform to tell stories have an opportunity to expand the boundaries of inclusion, and we shouldn’t take that for granted.

“For those of you wondering about the series’ path ahead, The 100 is a show where people don’t get over things quickly. This goes for physical injuries as well as emotional ones. Clarke is experiencing the profound loss of someone she loved, and she’ll carry that loss with her forever. My sincerest hope is that any of our fans who saw a part of themselves in the relationship between Clarke and Lexa can take some small comfort in knowing that their love was beautiful and real.”

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

he's hoping he won't get blasted at wondercon but he definitely is haha

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The top commenter nailed it:

quote:

What is sad to me is seeing what the lgbtq community is going to do to themselves. There was inclusion there. There are groups (hispanics and asianfor example) that are not getting that. They had a character that was more than just that gay character. Lexa was smart, strong, warrior and all that she seems to be reduced to is her sexuality.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
This is why you don't give the internet what it wants.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think the contrast between the suicidal gnashing of teeth over the death of Lexa, Sexy Warrior Queen vs the lack thereof for Dumpy Lesbian Quasi-Doctor on TWD speaks volumes.

Granted, I'll give it that Rothenberg seemed to bring a lot of this on himself but I wonder where the call for TWD to go off the air is, and how come Kirkman, Nicotero, Hurd, etc aren't getting death threats.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

I think the contrast between the suicidal gnashing of teeth over the death of Lexa, Sexy Warrior Queen vs the lack thereof for Dumpy Lesbian Quasi-Doctor on TWD speaks volumes.

Granted, I'll give it that Rothenberg seemed to bring a lot of this on himself but I wonder where the call for TWD to go off the air is, and how come Kirkman, Nicotero, Hurd, etc aren't getting death threats.

I was actually more annoyed at The Walking Dead than The 100 -- mostly because Merrit Weaver is a) awesome and b) quite a good actor.

I never thought that Debnam-Carey was particularly bad, but she's nowhere near Weaver's class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
people are super pissed about twd, you just aren't looking in the right places

• Locked thread