Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Phanatic posted:

There's an iPhone app in Iceland that lets you know if the girl you're hitting on at the bar is a close relative.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kissing-cousins-icelandic-app-warns-if-your-date-is-a-relative-1.1390256

Sorry, I meant more in the royal families department. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Deteriorata posted:

In some of the "hollers" in Appalachia you can come across some badly in-bred communities. My wife's family moved to Kentucky after she graduated from high school, and some of the students at the high school her younger siblings attended were known collectively as the "cow people" because their faces were rather deformed from inbreeding.

Not sure if you are an Archer fan, but it took me the longest time to figure out WTF people were saying when they said "up in the holler"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Deteriorata posted:

In some of the "hollers" in Appalachia you can come across some badly in-bred communities. My wife's family moved to Kentucky after she graduated from high school, and some of the students at the high school her younger siblings attended were known collectively as the "cow people" because their faces were rather deformed from inbreeding.

This is true. The further east you go in our little state, the more likely you are to encounter it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

E.S. Thompson was wrong about staying in camp; General Smuts wants the enemy positions around Kahe to be dealt with as soon as possible. We've also got a charming little interlude, an excellent example of its type, of ordinary soldiers (these ones BEF men on the Somme) enjoying birdsong in the trenches and wondering how birds can still live near the war; and Grigoris Balakian pays tribute to one Jane S. Wingate, an American missionary running a school in Talas, who pulled out all the steps to assist his caravan of deportees. Louis Barthas has discovered a new religious chappie to be his friend and have ridiculous rear-area adventures with; that damned shirker the Sunny Subaltern is back in hospital and I'm breaking out the tiny violin; and it's getting to be a toss-up for whether Edward Mousley will die of starvation or boredom.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

E.S. Thompson was wrong about staying in camp; General Smuts wants the enemy positions around Kahe to be dealt with as soon as possible. We've also got a charming little interlude, an excellent example of its type, of ordinary soldiers (these ones BEF men on the Somme) enjoying birdsong in the trenches and wondering how birds can still live near the war; and Grigoris Balakian pays tribute to one Jane S. Wingate, an American missionary running a school in Talas, who pulled out all the steps to assist his caravan of deportees. Louis Barthas has discovered a new religious chappie to be his friend and have ridiculous rear-area adventures with; that damned shirker the Sunny Subaltern is back in hospital and I'm breaking out the tiny violin; and it's getting to be a toss-up for whether Edward Mousley will die of starvation or boredom.

Being that you're British and this is a history thread I don't think I'm ever going to stop initially scanning ES Thompson as EP Thompson.

I was a couple weeks behind but finally caught up so I just wanted thank all the people making effort posts and just high quality posts in general in this thread.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Reading my way through this thread, and also really enjoying the History: Wait, what? That actually happened? thread. Is there a current version of that one running around?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

Reading my way through this thread, and also really enjoying the History: Wait, what? That actually happened? thread. Is there a current version of that one running around?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You should probably check out the Ancient History Thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
And there's the Medieval History Thread also.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thanks, guys! So much reading, so little time...

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

I haven't read much on CAS other than tankers going "airplanes never showed up, as usual, welp". Looks like by the end of the war it got better.

I remember reading somewhere that how CAS worked was that nominally they were ground controlled onto targets whenever they were called, but it was too hard to coordinate timings.

So it was arranged that planes overflew specific army units at specific times and the ground units would unfurl on the ground arrows or code groups directing the planes on how to attack and where to attack.

Ugh I wish I could remember where I read it though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chillyrabbit posted:

I remember reading somewhere that how CAS worked was that nominally they were ground controlled onto targets whenever they were called, but it was too hard to coordinate timings.

So it was arranged that planes overflew specific army units at specific times and the ground units would unfurl on the ground arrows or code groups directing the planes on how to attack and where to attack.

Ugh I wish I could remember where I read it though.

This type of stuff?

I think there was some of it in one of the flight manuals posted a while back.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How did they mark targets for CAS where unfurling of these thingies was impossible? Smoke?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

How did they mark targets for CAS where unfurling of these thingies was impossible? Smoke?

Smoke and flares, for simple instructions like "bomb here" and "don't bomb here".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The rise of the Conch Republic - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic#History

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

So, this is a stupid question, I know, but I'm trying to keep up with all of these history threads, so I figured I'd ask.

I almost always read the forums using my phone app, but I just found out I can look at the forums on my computer at work. Is there some setting I should have turned on to go to the last viewed post? As it is now, if I'm a quarter of the way through a page and close out of the browser, when I go back, it takes me to the next page. I looked in the settings, but didn't see anything that specifically said something like "view last post."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Click the little white square next to the # and ? buttons to mark the post as last read.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you don't see it, go to options, find the thread tracking section, mark "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was totally unaware that was an option and never thought to ask. This thread is the best thread on SA for literally any question it seems.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hah, I knew that was an option for the awful app and the SALR extension but I never knew it'd finally trickled down to the regular site. Truly we're living in modern times :v:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thanks, guys!

I get out of work early today, season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil started today, and now this. Today is truly the best day!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, first I found it on Awful App, then here. Perfect for reading super old or super fast threads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So I got a small side gig preserving a bunch of old photos for a friend of a friend. Basically just putting the negatives in something more archival than "great uncle bob's shoe box" and scanning them. There are a bunch of photos of dudes training in a swamp somewhere in the US ca. WW2. I'm guessing someone took a camera to basic.

It's amusing how nigh-identical they are to the "screwing around in basic" photos you will see from soldiers today.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The only reason we don't have pictures of Roman Legions making dick jokes with their pila is because of the lack of cameras.

Hell, the first spear was probably used for one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

So I got a small side gig preserving a bunch of old photos for a friend of a friend. Basically just putting the negatives in something more archival than "great uncle bob's shoe box" and scanning them. There are a bunch of photos of dudes training in a swamp somewhere in the US ca. WW2. I'm guessing someone took a camera to basic.

It's amusing how nigh-identical they are to the "screwing around in basic" photos you will see from soldiers today.

Could you post some?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Eh, we managed to dominate the Irish pretty consistently :getin:
16th and 17th century spain : the irish :: america in the 1980s : the mujahadeen

with the added benefit that if the backwards religious fanatics you're giving weapons and training to are your religion, you don't have to worry about as many things.

it was the same for france and scotland except sometimes french foreign policy cared about religion and sometimes it didn't

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you post some?

nope

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Can you describe the interesting ones so we can picture them in our heads?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Russian attempt to take pressure off Verdun with an offensive around Lake Naroch begins. It's horrible and bloody and full of despicable failure, but by this point it's not even a surpassingly bad attack, just another in a long line of horrible shitshows. Also beginning today is General Smuts's attempt to evict the Schutztruppe from the hills around Kahe, and if E.P. Thompson [sic] is to be believed, it seems to be going quite well. Grigoris Balakian gets another confession out of a Jandarma, Edward Mousley is still playing chess, and Bernard Adams has an extremely nasty evening as the Germans launch a major bombardment for reasons that never quite become clear to anyone. It does give us a nice demonstration of how useful the new Lewis gun is.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It should be noted that while in the American case the Sherman being a firetrap is pretty exaggerated (And in many cases flat-out wrong), for the British the sterotype was a bit more justified-they never upgraded to the later variants that had better ammunition stowage, and as such their tanks were far more vulnerable to ammunition fires.

That's definitely a point often missed. Semi-unrelated, but there was also the case of the firefly, where the bow gunner was replaced with more ammunition. The whole situation was likely worseened by the problem where infantry reserves for Britain were running low by Normandy, and armored units had to do a lot of the grunt work in the open, flat lands around the Caen sectors.

I think it was in one of Zaloga's piles of books that he mentioned that for every Sherman lost to enemy fire, maybe one crewman died. That's pretty damned good for the time. This most likely resulted 4/5 of those crewmen talking about their flaming tanks they kept losing to enemy fire after the war, while tankers of other nations likely didn't survive after more than or two such losses.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MrBling posted:

For all the talk about Habsburg inbreeding, there must still be some happening now. I mean look up Count Ingolf. That man is a current member of danish royal family and its like his entire face is set at a weird angle.

Also, in person he acts much like a demented lich, shrieking voice and crazy eyes and all.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I was asked to crosspost this from the politically-loaded maps thread over in D&D:

System Metternich posted:

A 1717 map of the German city of Fürth. Yellow means that the houses are subject to the Prince of Ansbach, red is the Dean of the Cathedral in Bamberg, Yellow the Imperial City of Nuremberg and the grey the town itself (which, as a legal body, in turn was subject to Ansbach in temporal and Nuremberg in ecclesiastical matters. I think, it's complicated). "Subject to" means in this context that they not only owned the land the buildings stood on, but also that different laws and rules applied depending on where you lived. In the specific example of Fürth, all three parties hated the gently caress out of each other and were trying to piss each other off at every opportunity. This in turn meant that the people of Fürth had many liberties and opportunities other people of the era hadn't - basically everything could be seen as a political act and make you powerful enemies, but if you played your cards right you could count on the near-unlimited support of your lord as long as whatever you did a) benefitted him and b) (and probably even more importantly) pissed the other lords off. The best-known example of this is the thriving Jewish community in Fürth, which developed because the Princes of Ansbach and the Dean of Bamberg realised that giving Jews permission to settle for money meant that they could earn lots of it, and it would greatly annoy Nuremberg where Jews weren't allowed to live at all, neither in the city itself nor in any of its lands outside of it.

The Holy Roman Empire, folks. If towns belonging to three different lords at once who all hate each other is wrong, then I don't want to be right :allears:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It's like Game of Thrones, but instead of dragons and power politics at the highest level its garbage collection taxes and closing times for the local inn.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

That's definitely a point often missed. Semi-unrelated, but there was also the case of the firefly, where the bow gunner was replaced with more ammunition. The whole situation was likely worseened by the problem where infantry reserves for Britain were running low by Normandy, and armored units had to do a lot of the grunt work in the open, flat lands around the Caen sectors.

I think it was in one of Zaloga's piles of books that he mentioned that for every Sherman lost to enemy fire, maybe one crewman died. That's pretty damned good for the time. This most likely resulted 4/5 of those crewmen talking about their flaming tanks they kept losing to enemy fire after the war, while tankers of other nations likely didn't survive after more than or two such losses.

Only American Shermans, IIRC. The British lost a little more (1.5? something like that). I recall this is because of the Americans' hard helmets, whereas everyone else's tankers wore soft padded helmets at best.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

I was asked to crosspost this from the politically-loaded maps thread over in D&D:
still not the most Imperial thing ever, which might be the subdivision of the Counts of Mansfeld into the Vorderort, Mittelort, and Hinterort lines, named after the apartments each branch of the family occupies in Fortress Mansfeld:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ensign Expendable posted:

Only American Shermans, IIRC. The British lost a little more (1.5? something like that). I recall this is because of the Americans' hard helmets, whereas everyone else's tankers wore soft padded helmets at best.

Stricter enforcement of not overloading tanks probably helped too with how much the British shoved in. Also the US used the larger hatch versions, esp. The 76s.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I love the Conch Republic. They throw hella parties.

"Tourists are experiencing traffic on the causeway! REVOLT!"

"Mr. President Key West has seceded for 60 seconds."
"Oh my gosh that's adorable. Give those crazy kids what they want."

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAL posted:

still not the most Imperial thing ever, which might be the subdivision of the Counts of Mansfeld into the Vorderort, Mittelort, and Hinterort lines, named after the apartments each branch of the family occupies in Fortress Mansfeld:

"Go to your room, young man!" - "You, always say that! Noone understands me! I'll just turn my room into another principality, see what you'll be saying then! gently caress YOU DAD! :mad:"

e: Apparently there was a saying in Fürth that you had to watch out where to sign a contract, because while the living room might be Bamberg, the study could as well already be Ansbach. Probably hyperbolic, but you never know with the Empire :v:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Stricter enforcement of not overloading tanks probably helped too with how much the British shoved in. Also the US used the larger hatch versions, esp. The 76s.
Were there any differences like this to the tanks leased to the Soviets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Since we're on tankchat again, I might as well be a dong a plug a friend's website; http://www.theshermantank.com

• Locked thread