Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/710614961014185984

I'm ok with not playing SoO this year, or really any time soon

apart from key defenders the allies side is surprisingly strong

WA is probably the strongest lineup i reckon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

apart from key defenders the allies side is surprisingly strong

WA is probably the strongest lineup i reckon though

SA is abysmal.

These are only fantasy points based though, there's not actually a world where Gibson is played at full back ahead of Daniel Talia so that Mathew Boyd can play third tall.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 18, 2016

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

victorias midfield looks crazy on paper except that nearly every single one of them are clearance players

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

snaeksikn posted:

victorias midfield looks crazy on paper except that nearly every single one of them are clearance players

yeah the WA midfield is far more intimidating, imagine that set in any current team which wasn't freo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

yeah the WA midfield is far more intimidating, imagine that set in any current team which wasn't freo

imagine the WA forward line, and then you shove hogan into it for shits and giggles too

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

imagine the WA forward line, and then you shove hogan into it for shits and giggles too

The Allies forward line is also missing Taylor Walker

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Saw the Allies and thought "huh, they hosed up and put Howe in black and wh.......oh right"

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/710614961014185984

I'm ok with not playing SoO this year, or really any time soon

Yep, I think we're at peak 'start the season now'.

2 concept drawings for crazy hypothetical stadiums was bad enough, but uggghhhh

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I wanna see how bad Essendon are going to be. Maybe it's going to be the opposite of the Suns or Giants' first seasons, old guys with maybe some nous but no leg speed.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I wanna see how bad Essendon are going to be. Maybe it's going to be the opposite of the Suns or Giants' first seasons, old guys with maybe some nous but no leg speed.

in Round 1, the Suns will be looking for some revenge for Round 6 2011

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

in Round 1, the Suns will be looking for some revenge for Round 6 2011

In round 2 Melbourne will be looking for (and failing to find) revenge for 2013

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

In round 2 Melbourne will be looking for (and failing to find) revenge for 2013

I think it goes to speak to Essendon's extreme mediocrity in recent history that for the past 5 years that our recording against Melbourne is 2 wins and 4 losses. One of those wins only by 9 points, the other by, well... and at least 3 of the 4 losses we went in very comfortable favourites and Melbourne still did us in.

The round 10, 2012 match is some of the worst football I've ever seen. Both sides were awful, but Melbourne were begging us to win that match and we found a way to lose it. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen. Up there with the game against the Saints last year but at least in that game you knew the players just literally gave up and stopped playing footy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

I think it goes to speak to Essendon's extreme mediocrity in recent history that for the past 5 years that our recording against Melbourne is 2 wins and 4 losses. One of those wins only by 9 points, the other by, well... and at least 3 of the 4 losses we went in very comfortable favourites and Melbourne still did us in.

The round 10, 2012 match is some of the worst football I've ever seen. Both sides were awful, but Melbourne were begging us to win that match and we found a way to lose it. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen. Up there with the game against the Saints last year but at least in that game you knew the players just literally gave up and stopped playing footy.

I feel like the 148 point loss was the only recent Essendon Melbourne match where you can legitimately say the better team (overall, not on the night) won.

Also Brisbane vs Melbourne last year is I think the worst game I've ever seen. We kicked 1 goal in the second half and won I think? Deplorable from every angle.

The 2012 Essendon Melbourne match was pretty special. Essendon coming in 8-1 I think, Melbourne 0-9. Still remember Hurley couldn't pick up the ball to save his life that night.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 18, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
Melbourne 5.4 7.7 7.10 8.12 60
Brisbane 1.2 1.5 3.8 4.12 36

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Don't forget Ultimate Footy draft on Sunnday.

Also, the Superfooty League still needs more teams

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Bleh 8:30am start for a practice match. drat cricket, be over already drat it!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think I'm just going to leave default draft order because the idea of trying to order a few hundred players, while also somehow considering positions? makes my brain die.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's easier to just list who you don't want tbh - then show up on the draft day. That way you just pick based on what's available instead of over analyzing it, only to find your 'plan' go straight out the window after the first round of picks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

It's easier to just list who you don't want tbh - then show up on the draft day. That way you just pick based on what's available instead of over analyzing it, only to find your 'plan' go straight out the window after the first round of picks.

Oh yeah, showing up on draft day would be ideal, but family commitments.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Nutsngum posted:

Bleh 8:30am start for a practice match. drat cricket, be over already drat it!

I fluffed an easy mark 20 meters out and got spoiled/beaten to the ball 5+ times.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh yeah, showing up on draft day would be ideal, but family commitments.

Yeah then just remove all the players you know you don't want from the default list. Way easier. It'd probably help to move some of the key positions you want sorted early up to the top as well. All I can say is autodrafters tend to do very poorly so good luck.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah then just remove all the players you know you don't want from the default list. Way easier. It'd probably help to move some of the key positions you want sorted early up to the top as well. All I can say is autodrafters tend to do very poorly so good luck.

That's a good idea. I'm not too fussed with performance, still got some decent trading done last season on an almost purely auto draft team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'm trying to brace myself for the suns getting their asses beat by essendon because deep down i know it's going to happen, but i think i will still be devastated. like poo poo, at least give me a few weeks of false hope before making it blatantly clear we're a bottom 3 side.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Volkerball posted:

i'm trying to brace myself for the suns getting their asses beat by essendon because deep down i know it's going to happen, but i think i will still be devastated. like poo poo, at least give me a few weeks of false hope before making it blatantly clear we're a bottom 3 side.

This except every week

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Even train taggers are ready for the season to start:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, I think I've nutted out getting Elo ratings working for the AFL. It's quite weird getting my head around how it works compared with my own system (I'd say it's certainly more statistically sound), but it's going to be a fun thing to incorporate as they'll sit quite nicely alongside each other.

EDIT: Oh of course you want a peek. There's a few things to tweak so the numbers might change.
code:
HAW 1959
WCE 1814
NME 1735
RIC 1713
PAD 1711
ADE 1684
FRE 1664
SYD 1655
GEE 1616
WBD 1573
COL 1486
GWS 1405
STK 1358
MEL 1335
ESS 1311
BRL 1288
CAR 1263
GCO 1259

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 19, 2016

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Will this work if I want to manually pick players on draft night with out but don't want to see all the super poo poo players? I don't know how any of this works.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
5 days and counting.
Time to get hype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaLBJqehls

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's that time isn't it?

Hawthorn
Fremantle
Sydney
West Coast
North Melbourne
Richmond
Geelong
Adelaide
------------------
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Bulldogs
GWS
Melbourne
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Essendon
Carlton
Brisbane

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I reckon Port, GWS and Bulldogs will make the 8 but I have no idea which teams this will be at the expense of.

Except Adelaide. I reckon Adelaide will not make the 8.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I can easily see Sydney falling out of the 8.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

As far as the middle of the pack are concerned, it's a real toss up. I'd say the top 4 are locks to make the 8 and the bottom 6 are locks to not make it. Sydney are definitely going to be interesting - I'm not sure if their list is too old and bolstered by enough good players, but they've been in the mix every year for a long time now.

e: The Swans are 9/10 for making the eight since 2006.

e2: I get the sensation the dogs might kick it up a gear. They looked really good in the 2nd half of last year.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 19, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think if we had the draw we had last year we'd be knocking on the door of the 8, but we've got a significantly harder one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Testekill posted:

I can easily see Sydney falling out of the 8.

I was talking about this with my wife earlier, she thinks the Swans are going to lose some key games this year. Losses to the Hawks in Round 10 and Roos in 11 could lead them down a spiral against the Suns in 12, then 16-22 is Cats-Hawks-Blues-Dockers-Power-Saints-Roos, which could be a tough run home except for Blues and Saints. Round 23 against Richmond could really go either way. Clearly it's way too early to be talking about this poo poo, but losing 5 of your last 8 is a lovely way to try to play finals football.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Memento posted:

I was talking about this with my wife earlier, she thinks the Swans are going to lose some key games this year. Losses to the Hawks in Round 10 and Roos in 11 could lead them down a spiral against the Suns in 12, then 16-22 is Cats-Hawks-Blues-Dockers-Power-Saints-Roos, which could be a tough run home except for Blues and Saints. Round 23 against Richmond could really go either way. Clearly it's way too early to be talking about this poo poo, but losing 5 of your last 8 is a lovely way to try to play finals football.

My main concern is that they looked very old during the preseason and a lot of last season.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

My main concern is that they looked very old during the preseason and a lot of last season.

Agreed, their defence is a massive concern IMO. Old and real slow.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

If GAJ actually plays he will probably single handedly beat us anyways

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fremantle
West Coast
Hawthorn
Geelong
Sydney
Adelaide
Richmond
Bulldogs

Collingwood
North
GWS
Melbourne
Port
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Carlton
Essendon

GF - Hawthorn beating Geelong

Bear in mind that this is based on absolutely nothing of any substance.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm curious, what's with the Freo hype? Aren't they super old this year with no key forwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

You can still win flags with poo poo key forwards, see Geelong, West Coast

• Locked thread