Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As much as I love this version of the Punisher, I really hope he doesn't get his own show.

It'd ruin the mystique if it was entirely focused around him. Plus I'd have a bit of an issue of making a guy who essentially boils down to being a mass shooter that sympathetic. Might send the wrong message.
Plus, he'd need a supporting cast, and it would be way too easy to gently caress that up somehow. Like, Edmondson's run levels of topical hosed up.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a recurring character, although I honestly would rather see more of Elektra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Plus, he'd need a supporting cast, and it would be way too easy to gently caress that up somehow. Like, Edmondson's run levels of topical hosed up.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a recurring character, although I honestly would rather see more of Elektra.

Easy solution, just have him die, then have angels send him back to Earth to punish the wicked.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

thrakkorzog posted:

Easy solution, just have him die, then have angels send him back to Earth to punish the wicked.

Ghost Rider series would own.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Ghost Rider series would own.

Way to miss the joke. But OK, I also enjoy watching Nic Cage staring at bad guys.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 19, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People who have finished the season, I have one question: does Karen find out Matt is Daredevil in this season? Can't stand them dragging this poo poo out for much longer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

People who have finished the season, I have one question: does Karen find out Matt is Daredevil in this season? Can't stand them dragging this poo poo out for much longer.

Don't read this.

Seriously, don't read this.

.............Yes......................................................

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes, it's the penultimate scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Entire season: Thanks both of you, and thank christ

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

2x11

I like that they dug a hole to china as a plot point

edit:And that Asian people are sneaky criminal magicians

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 19, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Watching the pre-credits for the first episode, and: how does Daredevil get around? He caught up with like four guys on the run and beat them senseless separately. Even a single neighborhood seems like a lot to cover on foot without a devilbike or something.

They alluded to this in S1: Matt is hyper-familiar with the neighborhood and takes acrobatic shortcuts involving fire-escape ladders and rooftop jumping.

thrakkorzog posted:

I laughed when they referenced this, but I couldn't tell if that was an intentional nod or just coincidence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't think the season got any better than the second half of episode four (minus certain rain scenes), but drat that's a hard bar to top so I can't really hold it against them. And I really liked Elektra too, it's just that goddamn that was compelling and well acted stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 9: what did Karen see in Ulrich's office to make her start crying?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just noticed that the courtroom has a flag of the United States circa WWII. What is up with that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
aw mannnnnn whats in the blood kettle

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Good so far but it's weird having Daredevil moralize about not killing people while repeatedly hitting said people in the face so violently with a club that it makes a ding sound.

Like of course it's comics so everyone gets knocked out, but having those two juxtaposed so closely is pretty silly.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Finally finished the season, the first half or so was so drat good but the second half felt weak and poo poo in comparison.

2.13 spoilers: WTF was with the hand? they were like some lovely version of the Ninja Turtles Foot Clan and every time they were on screen I just stopped paying attention. The fights sucked, the stakes were non existent and eventually the plot line went nowhere. Absolutely terrible.

Both the Punisher and Electra arcs started really good and were still awesome by the middle but they both fizzled with the ending. Black Sky was a really poo poo thing to go with and made for a terrible final few episodes, Frank sniping ninja mooks to end out his arc was also a laughably terrible end to his arc given what came before.

The first 8 or so episodes were the best super hero TV I've seen which makes that final 5 episodes all the more disappointing. The first 4 were absolutely amazing and way better than DD season one, anything in JJ or any of the other super hero stuff like AoS, Arrow, blah, blah, blah. But to end with that poo poo was terrible

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Escobarbarian posted:

Ep 9: what did Karen see in Ulrich's office to make her start crying?

E9 Ben had done research on karen i think. The article title and her reaction suggest karen killed someone in a driving accident when she was younger

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok thanks, I was considering that but was from from certain. (E9) i figured all her weird thoughts on murder so far in the season were due to killing that dude last year, not sure they needed her to have another life on her hands.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Roxxon is made up to be this evil company but they come off as so drat generic that I don't give a drat

Most of the setup of Roxxon as an Evil Company was done in Seasons 1 and 2 of Agent Carter, so yeah, if you haven't seen those, I can see how if falls flat...

Woden posted:

WTF was with the hand? they were like some lovely version of the Ninja Turtles Foot Clan and every time they were on screen I just stopped paying attention. The fights sucked, the stakes were non existent and eventually the plot line went nowhere. Absolutely terrible.

I'm pretty sure that it's actually the other way around. The Hand existed in comics long before Eastman & Larid created TMNT, and when they did, they named their evil ninjas The Foot as a nod to The Hand. The threat from The Hand has never been competence so much as sheer overhwelming numbers.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

2x04
Dear mobsters,
You don't steal a man's dog!

And,
Frank talking about his daughter in the graveyard was genuinely touching. Christ.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 19, 2016

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
2x09: I want some of the 45-pound plates Fisk is using in the jailyard. I wanna bench fake-495 too!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah ok thanks, I was considering that but was from from certain. (E9) i figured all her weird thoughts on murder so far in the season were due to killing that dude last year, not sure they needed her to have another life on her hands.

2x09

The show's made allusions to Karen having a dark past right from the start and I think there's more to it than just killing her brother in a car accident

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Season 2 Has Nelson and Murdock had troubles staying afloat like this in any of the comics too because Matt can't keep juggling vigilante and lawyer work together or is that something that's just added for the show?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

RareAcumen posted:

Season 2 Has Nelson and Murdock had troubles staying afloat like this in any of the comics too because Matt can't keep juggling vigilante and lawyer work together or is that something that's just added for the show?

It's a common occurence in the comic books, even the whole them ending their law firm

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just starting E7 and holy poo poo has this been awesome.
Bernthal is perfect and just killing it.

That cemetery scene might be the best and the stairwell fight.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Season 2 I thought Matt being able to hear the Hand ninjas breathing was dumb, and hated how from that point on every fight with them had loud breathing sounds over the top of it.

Also are giant underground battle dungeons like the Hand's hideout an actual thing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Woden posted:

Finally finished the season, the first half or so was so drat good but the second half felt weak and poo poo in comparison.

2.13 spoilers: WTF was with the hand? they were like some lovely version of the Ninja Turtles Foot Clan and every time they were on screen I just stopped paying attention. The fights sucked, the stakes were non existent and eventually the plot line went nowhere. Absolutely terrible.

Both the Punisher and Electra arcs started really good and were still awesome by the middle but they both fizzled with the ending. Black Sky was a really poo poo thing to go with and made for a terrible final few episodes, Frank sniping ninja mooks to end out his arc was also a laughably terrible end to his arc given what came before.

The first 8 or so episodes were the best super hero TV I've seen which makes that final 5 episodes all the more disappointing. The first 4 were absolutely amazing and way better than DD season one, anything in JJ or any of the other super hero stuff like AoS, Arrow, blah, blah, blah. But to end with that poo poo was terrible

Now that I think about it, I pretty much agree with this.

The fights are cool and brutal to watch, but they start to get lame because there are no stakes. You know no one important is going to die, except Nobu :v:, so you just don't care.

I didn't think the endings were that terrible, but they didn't really live up to the first 70% of the season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 19, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What's the justification for why Matt can throw that stick around and ricochet it off walls and poo poo? I mean, I've got the same question about Captain America doesn't the same thing but is that just because Stick trained him to do that too or what?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's part of his generic "blind ninja echolocation" nonsense. Like how last season Stick flicks a beer cap off half the kitchen before hitting the bin.

Season 2 Episode 4: Datak loving Tarr. Hot drat can Tony Curran dominate a scene

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Kheldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's actually the other way around. The Hand existed in comics long before Eastman & Larid created TMNT, and when they did, they named their evil ninjas The Foot as a nod to The Hand. The threat from The Hand has never been competence so much as sheer overhwelming numbers.

The original TMNT was a Daredevil parody - the Turtles were even Matt's pet terrapins, which he was carrying when he got hit by the chemical truck. Their ninjas being The Foot is no coincidence. Also, "Splinter" instead of "Stick".

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Personally, I appreciate Karen's familiarity with violence. It adds something new to her personality, will likely be fertile dramatic ground if Matt ever learns about it (does he even know she killed Wesley?), and backs her up in interactions with overtly threatening characters; 2x11 I wasn't scared for her during her time alone with the Punisher, because while we know he's killed tons of people, he abides by a code that Karen understands, yet he doesn't know she will kill in self-defence.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The original TMNT was a Daredevil parody - the Turtles were even Matt's pet terrapins, which he was carrying when he got hit by the chemical truck. Their ninjas being The Foot is no coincidence. Also, "Splinter" instead of "Stick".

:stare: mind blown.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everything in this post comes after watching the full season

I really hope in the Defenders or Season 3 Matt finally accepts that the hand are a bunch of zombie mooks and as a result doesn't hold back in an attempt not to kill them. I do like that they still explore his evolving relationship with killing. By the end he isn't stopping Elektra, Stick, or Frank from murdering members of the ninja legion and has himself "killed" Nobu twice by falling. Though that really does call into question how many people Matt's killed by just assuming they'll make it when throwing assholes off roofs/ledges.

Also now every time someone walks down a hallway/tunnel in the show I'm expecting some crazy fight to take place. Walking down a hall with the camera aiming down? You should be safe. Camera's looking straight ahead? Somebody's going to die or be horribly maimed.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Right, but that was part of the problem I had with it. Matt forgiving her, especially so quickly, made no loving sense. "I was a mission to you and have every reason to believe you could be a pathological liar but you say you fell in love with me so it's cool." I mean I speak from experience that love often makes no sense but at the same time I thought that was gonna be a major fight with them that'd resolve over the course of a few episodes, not five minutes. It was some of the weakest characterization in either season.

Matt knew that she actually loved him due to her heart beat and all. Also he'd already been dealing with her killing people and all since she popped back into his life and all. Plus it's not like he ever actually shuts Stick out for all the very, very similar bullshit that blind rear end in a top hat pulls. Not to mention his drive to save people.

Danger Diabolik posted:

Season 2 I thought Matt being able to hear the Hand ninjas breathing was dumb, and hated how from that point on every fight with them had loud breathing sounds over the top of it.

Also are giant underground battle dungeons like the Hand's hideout an actual thing?

This is dumb. Hearing heartbeats, identifying exactly what it going on in rooms several floors below, and replacing his lost eyesight with a combination of the rest of his senses that give him better vision than normal people is ok, but none of this hearing people breathe bullshit! poo poo man, this stems from [tail end of season episode but I can't remember which] Stick whispering to him from god knows how many rooms away to listen for the breathing. While Stick is being tortured and the Hand thinks he's cracking since he appears to be talking to himself.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I finished Season Two yesterday, but then immediately went to bed. Spoilers are for the entirety of Season Two.

I have three gripes with the Punisher 1) the guy shot up a hospital full of innocent people. The writers try to handwave the hospital scene by saying nobody was hurt and if he wanted Karen dead she would be. Bullshit. This highly trained military man knew how to find Grotto and could've easily waited until a better opportunity. Even if nobody was injured there were still people in those corridors and a lot of unnecessary property damage done to the hospital. At this point in the story he had remained a mystery to everyone while taking out large numbers of organized criminals, but he's just going to waltz into a hosptial guns blazin' for one guy?

2) he hung the Mexican Cartel on meat hooks. That's not punishment or vengeance or justice or any other term vigilantes would use to justify their actions. That's just sadism. Every other instance he either shoots his victims in cold blood, or interrogates them first and then shoots them. The Punisher didn't torture anyone else or make an elaborate spectacle over their deaths so why the Cartel?

I get that some people like the Punisher because he is a Bad Man that does Bad Things to Worse People, but much like the first gripe I think the writer was trying too hard.

3) after being such an important part of the story for the first four episodes he did gently caress all at the end. He deserved a much larger role in the last few episodes. They should've found a way to tie him into the main story versus the Hand.

That said I would love to see a Punisher Netflix. Bernthal did a wonderful job. The word choice, the delivery, just everything. He sold the Punisher well as a mean bastard that is completely broken, but still functions.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have to say what I like about daredevil is that it still has over the top comic book nonsense and mellodrama, but there is good acting and no one treats it like a joke. Jessica Jones had a tone bordering on parody at times, but Dare devil knows what it is and doesn't give a poo poo.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I'm in the app so I'll try to not post any spoilers but general Punisher thoughts, I have not finished the season but as far as origin stories go, this owned by not relying on flashbacks to show the Punisher's backstory, but letting it rely on Jon's acting chops.

I love that we are getting really a 'Year One' kind of Frank, where he's just getting his act together but even then manages to be a legit fear in the minds of crime. Also at this point Castle isn't so broken yet that his being so 'talky ' during the season makes sense.

Really liking that through Jon's portrayal we get the 'human, yet deeply broken into psychopathy' version of the character, instead of the 'was a psychopathic monster all along, used 'nam as a cover and then could not reintegrate' version that the comics have been pushing so hard lately.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I feel the same way as a lot of others regarding the latter part of the season at the different arcs. The Punisher was loving epically awesome, Jon Berenthal killed it so hard, but I was pretty much zoning out anytime they switched back to the Elektra story, especially the romance and exposition portions. And, yeah the endless Buffyverse Ninja fights got boring pretty quickly as well.

Also since it's been mentioned, The Punisher is actually a really compelling character when written correctly. Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher Marvel Knights and especially The Punisher MAX are some of the best written comic books period. And Jason Aaron's run on Punisher MAX is also really, really good.

A Punisher series actually has a lot of good material to work from if they go about it right and since, at least for me, the Punisher was easily the best part of this season, I have high hopes for them doing a good job.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 19, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Season 2 character musings. I didn't really care for Electra when she showed up because I have no idea who she is or what her deal was. Like how she learned how to be an incredible fighter and all that. All I knew was that her showing up out of nowhere with Matt not realizing she was in his house for like a full minute and half had to be significant somehow. And then she brought him to the house of the dude who was involved in his dad being murdered and all I could think is 'What the gently caress- Is she getting turned on by all this? I mean breaking into someone's house and drinking their whiskey and stuff is one thing but now literally murder a man seems like an enormous leap from there.' I was really relieved when she stayed kinda at arms length from Matt romantically though because holy poo poo she's absolutely insane.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WAR FOOT posted:

Wow, a good season. My only gripe is (S2E3) that they completely missed the point of the rooftop scene between Frank and Matt.

They didn't. They made that scene way better though.

Seriously Jon Berenthal is great. And D'Onofrio somehow still manages to completely steal the 2 hours he's a part of. I couldn't tell where they were going once Frank got in jail, but once I realized it, I was hype. He beat Matt's rear end. A total contrast (in a good way) to how easily Daredevil always managed to trounce Punisher.

I also want to say that I didn't like Karen Page by the end of S1 and this season didn't really change that for me. Her stuff with Matt felt really forced. It actually reminded me of what happened with Felicity and Oliver in Arrow. It was obvious that she wanted Matt, but he didn't usually play along. I know from comics that Matt Murdock will tag anything with 2 X chromosomes and of course Karen is hot, but I never felt like he actually liked her. Was the restaurant scene supposed to show that? That he realized it was kinda awkward to have to drum up conversation with her? At least with Foggy, he'd back up his whiny bitch scenes with some cool lawyer-fu or a funny joke from time to time.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

They didn't. They made that scene way better though.

Seriously Jon Berenthal is great. And D'Onofrio somehow still manages to completely steal the 2 hours he's a part of. I couldn't tell where they were going once Frank got in jail, but once I realized it, I was hype. He beat Matt's rear end. A total contrast (in a good way) to how easily Daredevil always managed to trounce Punisher.
Well, to be fair, Fisk beat Matt's rear end, not the Daredevil's. It would be one hell of a telltale if a blind man suddenly started pummeling a mobster into the ground, after all.