Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

Own all silk provinces is doable from there for sure

Tendronai posted:

Silk Road for sure, you could try to grab the unify Islam decision too. Depending on who's colonized what you could probably get the three Georgias. And if you haven't gotten it already, dismantle the HRE.
Hrm yes I should definitely be able to do both of those, thank you! I am already preparing for a war with Ming, which I am not looking forward to, but since I have to do it I guess I'll gun for their silk provinces while I am at it.

With how much time I have left I dont think I need to take Influence because I should have enough time to annex my vassals, so I guess I'll go Quality then Innovative for max combat bonuses. I wonder if I could get A Decent Reserve if I integrate Persia and get all that manpower from India...probably not as I am only at 300k right now and I already have all of the Manpower buildings in the right places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You could gun for Rome and Moscow as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

You could gun for Rome and Moscow as well.
Thats already in the works, probably going to try to get it in the next few years before something bad happens that makes Europe even more of a thunderdome. I have gotten as close as I have without war by using Threaten War every 15-20 years (there is a cooldown to limit how often you use it on one country) and could be closer if I had been using it even more/since earlier in the game.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

For the "Lion in the North" achievement, do you actually need to lead the protestant union, or is joining it enough?

Edit: never mind, found it in the wiki: you only need to join. And win of course.

OperaMouse fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Dev Diary for the Condottieri: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-17th-march-2016.914124/

Rented armies are still under the control of the original owner; we finally have something to do during our fifteen year regencies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tendronai posted:

Dev Diary for the Condottieri: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-17th-march-2016.914124/

Rented armies are still under the control of the original owner; we finally have something to do during our fifteen year regencies.

Hmm.

I get why the enemy should have access to troops in your own lands, but with that being the case, why not just have an alliance or go to war yourself?

E: I guess for cash and prestige.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tendronai posted:

I like condottieri. Maybe this will make alliance dogpiling less stupid in multiplayer. It will definitely give you things to do in peacetime (fight wars, lewl) too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think the Revolution! disaster should just have a button to start it, as well as a disaster. I'm gonna cheese it anyway. Truce break, placate vassals down to negative prestige, take ten loans, and you're off to the races.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of which, anyone know how to shunt an AI into going Revolutionary? I keep meaning to pick up the Revolution Crushed cheevo, but I've never actually had any go Revolution in my games, ever.

Tendronai posted:

:laffo: at the first reply, from DarkRenown:

Darkrenown posted:

Terrible post, preorder canceled.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 17, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish there was a way for me to tell how much autonomy a province has below the estate's minimum threshold. Like "Local Autonomy: 14.6% (Minimum 25%)".

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Tendronai posted:

It's neat that the all the "Available Mercs" idea bonuses will be more useful. I wonder if the AI will use Offer Condottieri on their own.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I didn't get if the rented army is eating from your mp or the one who rents? Or just costs money to resupply like mercs?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Spiderfist Island posted:

It's neat that the all the "Available Mercs" idea bonuses will be more useful. I wonder if the AI will use Offer Condottieri on their own.

Further on in the thread, it's available to be used by all leaders, but it's probably only going to be militarists bordering the warring nations.

Star posted:

I didn't get if the rented army is eating from your mp or the one who rents? Or just costs money to resupply like mercs?

They're still your troops so you take the costs, you also get the war exhaustion but since you're still technically at peace it's probably not going to be that big of a deal.

Some other neat tidbits - taking the money and hiding out in your country will give you a malus to hiring out your armies again.
You cannot send your king or heir to lead, only generals.
If you're really lazy you can just attach to your host countries army and let the AI do everything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tendronai posted:

Some other neat tidbits - taking the money and hiding out in your country will give you a malus to hiring out your armies again.

Right, this was the first thing I was thinking of, so I'm glad they've already thought of it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of which, anyone know how to shunt an AI into going Revolutionary? I keep meaning to pick up the Revolution Crushed cheevo, but I've never actually had any go Revolution in my games, ever.

Drive them into bankruptcy by locking their army and fleet in a province and occupying everything else. Then just white peace them and leave them bankrupt and with 20 war exhaustion. That usually works nicely if it's 1750 of whatever the date is for revolutions.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

PittTheElder posted:

:laffo: at the first reply, from DarkRenown:

YOu might just have to be opportunistic. I've only ever seen AI go revolutionary twice, once as a mighty big Revolutionary Spain and once as a dismembered Ottoman empire.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

So I was looking through the game's files while modding and I came across this picture, listed as TEMPORAL_RIFT_eventPicture:

Have any of you seen this picture in game?

(FYI it came with the Muslim flavor DLC)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

So I was looking through the game's files while modding and I came across this picture, listed as TEMPORAL_RIFT_eventPicture:

I don't think so. But it needs to be, yesterday.

e: haha, there is even a loving comet

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I kinda wish we got this as our stab hit popup instead of the comet.

Welp, another temporal rift.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Conversion from EU4 to Stellaris confirmed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

That's been in since release, I think? It was found way back when. I think Paradox said it was just a joke picture left in by the artist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

That raptor's about to get some Muslim flavor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Fister Roboto posted:

That raptor's about to get some Muslim flavor.

That's clearly a T-Rex. Raptors have those big toe-claws. :spergin:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The Cossacks dlc is on sale at the paradox store, 25%.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

13 years of war and 3000 ducats of debt, but it's all worth it.

Get hosed Poland.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fister Roboto posted:

Get hosed Poland.
Won't you feel silly when they get another personal union right afterward.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well, now I'm confused. I went from Monarchy to Republic with the decision, and then went Revolutionary, but then re-elected my ruler when I was under 20 RT, which made me an enlightened despotism, but then my lovely despot died and dropped me into regency, so I clicked the Monarchy to Republic button again, and now I'm an Oligarchic Republic which is also the revolution target still? What is even happening to my country

edit: I changed governments to Constitutional Republic and now my poor country is the Federal Republic of Revolutionary Spain
edit2: also I'm very curious what would happen if I'd been able to swap to Theocracy.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 18, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Get hosed Poland.

Jokes on you, they're going to perma-ally as soon as you release them.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

This. You're better off leaving them under and only dealing with polands allies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Right after the war, Poland got megafucked by Austria, so that's not really a problem now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

There is also another similar picture with native Americans looking at earth from their spaceship's bridge.

It is also not in any of the game's events. :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Except that it is WAY easier to break an alliance.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sure, but unless you can do it in a way that tanks trust, they'll just sign it again.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Fister Roboto posted:

The Ottomans are hands down the easiest country to play as.

Well that certainly wasnt an exaggeration. By the end I was at 750k manpower and about 1500 force limit.

It was a lot of fun though and the first time I feel like replaying the same country again right away to see if I can do better. I was a little slow off the start and over the course of the game I wasted too much time helping my 2 BFFs Lithuania and Poland for no gain. Only managed to get all of India around 1790, then just kind of stopped trying to do anything. I bet I could have chunked Ming somewhat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DurosKlav posted:

Well that certainly wasnt an exaggeration. By the end I was at 750k manpower and about 1500 force limit.

It was a lot of fun though and the first time I feel like replaying the same country again right away to see if I can do better. I was a little slow off the start and over the course of the game I wasted too much time helping my 2 BFFs Lithuania and Poland for no gain. Only managed to get all of India around 1790, then just kind of stopped trying to do anything. I bet I could have chunked Ming somewhat.
I'll have to post my Ottoman game when I get home - did you abuse the vassal-blocking-to-make-coring-50%-off mechanic? I did and got all of Egypt, East Africa, and Arabia by 1550 I think. Now I'm doing it to India.
I'm in the middle of tangling with a fat Ming because I am going to try to snag all of the Silk, and I am trying to get the "Definitely Sultan of Rum" achievement too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Sure, but unless you can do it in a way that tanks trust, they'll just sign it again.

The other nice thing is that if I declare war on one of Poland's allies, Lithuania won't be called in unless I declare Poland a cobeligerent.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Bort Bortles posted:

I'll have to post my Ottoman game when I get home - did you abuse the vassal-blocking-to-make-coring-50%-off mechanic? I did and got all of Egypt, East Africa, and Arabia by 1550 I think. Now I'm doing it to India.
I'm in the middle of tangling with a fat Ming because I am going to try to snag all of the Silk, and I am trying to get the "Definitely Sultan of Rum" achievement too.

I'm playing my first real game ever as the Ottomans right now, and I'm not nearly that big. What's this vassal-blocking mechanic?

My Ottos in ~1530 are basically just Anatolia, the Levant, the Balkans+Wallachia, and all the minor islands in the eastern Med.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Multiplayer post

So hey, subhunt time!

Westphalia (in the light yellow in northern Germany) is the front line in an east/west split that makes the Cold War look quiet.
Burgundy has probably the most absurdly good troops on Earth. Punch poo poo out of everyone!

If you're down for either of these, you can hit me, Obliterati up on Steam or post in this thread. This week we begin at 7PM GMT, because of some weird thing involving American time zones.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Athaboros posted:

I'm playing my first real game ever as the Ottomans right now, and I'm not nearly that big. What's this vassal-blocking mechanic?

My Ottos in ~1530 are basically just Anatolia, the Levant, the Balkans+Wallachia, and all the minor islands in the eastern Med.

If you don't have a continuous land connection into another continent, such as India or Africa or China, you get a 50% admin discount for coring. So you can block yourself off with a vassal and get a sweet discount on coring half the world. The down side is that all those provinces will have 75% autonomy until you connect them to your main provinces. It doesn't need to be a vassal, however, it could just be any country blocking a continuous connection, but a vassal is obviously easier because you don't have to worry about military access. You can always block off a chunk, core it all, then unblock it and block it off further down the line as well so that you lower the autonomy floor on those provinces and get more tax/manpower etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tsyni posted:

If you don't have a continuous land connection into another continent, such as India or Africa or China, you get a 50% admin discount for coring. So you can block yourself off with a vassal and get a sweet discount on coring half the world. The down side is that all those provinces will have 75% autonomy until you connect them to your main provinces. It doesn't need to be a vassal, however, it could just be any country blocking a continuous connection, but a vassal is obviously easier because you don't have to worry about military access. You can always block off a chunk, core it all, then unblock it and block it off further down the line as well so that you lower the autonomy floor on those provinces and get more tax/manpower etc.

:monocle: Wow, good to know, thanks for the tip!

• Locked thread