Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've started reading Jurassic Park again because it was one of the first adult books I read as a kid, when I was like 12, and while I still think it's a great sci-fi thriller the writing is also painfully stilted. And terribly sexist.

But the funniest part is how none of the characters seem to twig what's going on - like, Grant is a palaeontologist who receives funding from a genetic engineering company, is informed that said company has purchased an island in Costa Rica, sees blueprints of the island layout which looks like a large game reserve, and receives a phone call from the company's lawyer very anxious to know about an x-ray Grant received from a scientist in Costa Rica who found what appears to be a specimen of an extinct small dinosaur on a remote beach. And at no point does he point any of this together, and nor do any of the other characters involved, despite repeated clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

Hey alpha nerds! Looking for some recommendations.

I recently finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and it was pretty sick, it pretty much gave me everything I could want from a book, other than gory action sequences. Since I enjoyed it so much I began reading his other stand-alone book Chasm City and it DOES have a bit more action but tends to drag somewhat. I'd also enjoy more worldly/alien and technical explanations (I get a boner when authors spend a page explaining how the gun firing does its thing :shobon:).

I absolutely adored The Quantum Thief(Jean le Flambeur series) books because of the incredibly detailed, visceral, quantum-rear end augmented post-mortal hi tech violence in it, and I've been looking for a book with a badass protagonist character.. getting into brutal fights.. kinda like Mieli in the mentioned series, ever since reading it.

So yeah, looking for ultra hi-tech-quantum-augment-post-human brutality in sci fi form! If you could enlighten me I'll let you copy my shitposting Gogol used just now :)

read sf everyday

edit: side note!! a month back or so i met a dude in a bar who also read sci fi and we hi fived like three times as we namedropped books to eachother. it was awesome, i've only met fantasy nerds before but this guy was serious...

i think swedish viking genes make us naturally prefer fantasy or something. :(

The Takeshi Kovacs books, maybe? It's less space opera and more Sci fi noir maybe, but I think you might like them.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

coyo7e posted:

If you do not understand how "a bunch of high-school kids are forced to run around in the woods and kill each other," has parallels to Hunger Games/Maze Runner/etc then you probably have some serious issue that I can't figure out.

Did you quote the wrong post? I have no idea how this response relates to what Patrat said.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Feels obvious, but have you tried Blindsight?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

coyo7e posted:

If you do not understand how "a bunch of high-school kids are forced to run around in the woods and kill each other," has parallels to Hunger Games/Maze Runner/etc then you probably have some serious issue that I can't figure out.

Battle Royale is nearly 20 years old at this point, and it's getting ridiculous how many YA novels (and movies) are pretty much "dystopian future, kids fight each other - they win. the end"

Did you only read the first 8 words of that post and extrapolate from there or something?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Patrat posted:

I honestly do not know what it is about this series, I mean they are not high literature, they are far from the best books I have ever read, but they exerted some weird kind of addictive stranglehold on my mind

(Red Rising)

I just finished the first and I have to say it just does what it does exceedingly well, by a combination of several factors. Now I'm a jaded veteran of nerd-genre fiction (I'm 43 and have been into this crap since grade school) and it's been a very long time since a book reached in and grabbed me like this one did.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

So yeah, looking for ultra hi-tech-quantum-augment-post-human brutality in sci fi form! If you could enlighten me I'll let you copy my shitposting Gogol used just now :)

First things that come to mind are Neal Asher's Agent Cormac series and Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The Takeshi Kovacs books, maybe? It's less space opera and more Sci fi noir maybe, but I think you might like them.

ToxicFrog posted:

First things that come to mind are Neal Asher's Agent Cormac series and Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan.

I'm gonna submit a third vote for Tak. Start with Altered Carbon.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mallamp posted:

I still haven't finished quantum thief series because it's so Hardcore, but the short stories had same type of wild ideas in more accessible form, I really liked them

Ken Liu also has new short story collection, I've read the hugo winners by him but I had no idea he's so profilic. It's 338 pages, and it's still just " selection", pretty eclectic mix of sci-fi, fantasy and Chinese folklore-based (or made up folklore, I don't know) stories

For more accessible singularity fiction check out Accellerando. It's a novella that follows a family through the singularity.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

freebooter posted:

I've started reading Jurassic Park again because it was one of the first adult books I read as a kid, when I was like 12, and while I still think it's a great sci-fi thriller the writing is also painfully stilted. And terribly sexist.

But the funniest part is how none of the characters seem to twig what's going on - like, Grant is a palaeontologist who receives funding from a genetic engineering company, is informed that said company has purchased an island in Costa Rica, sees blueprints of the island layout which looks like a large game reserve, and receives a phone call from the company's lawyer very anxious to know about an x-ray Grant received from a scientist in Costa Rica who found what appears to be a specimen of an extinct small dinosaur on a remote beach. And at no point does he point any of this together, and nor do any of the other characters involved, despite repeated clues.
Yeah, the only possible out there would've been the willingness of people to not believe the seemingly-impossible when it's right in front of them, and that flies right out the window when Grant gives the faxed fossil an oh-my-goodness-this-is-important reaction. After that, he should've been in the mood to entertain a lot of other ludicrous-yet-obvious things.
Also you have multiple people seeing the mostly-intact carcass of a tiny theropod and ID'ing it as 'some kind of lizard maybe mutant???,' including a trained biologist. I'm pretty sure that was a little implausible even in the 80s, but nowadays with at least increased general quasi-dinosaur recognition across the population (thanks, Jurassic Park), that'd be downright insane.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Why are the 1st, 2nd, and 4th books of the Ringworld series available for Kindle but not the 3rd?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Drakyn posted:

Also you have multiple people seeing the mostly-intact carcass of a tiny theropod and ID'ing it as 'some kind of lizard maybe mutant???,' including a trained biologist. I'm pretty sure that was a little implausible even in the 80s, but nowadays with at least increased general quasi-dinosaur recognition across the population (thanks, Jurassic Park), that'd be downright insane.
As a child who grew up just before and during the exact window of JP's popularity to be obsessed with dinosaurs, let me assure you that just about anybody's first thought would've been dinosaurs. Hell, people were believing dinosaur hoaxes for like a century before that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Why are the 1st, 2nd, and 4th books of the Ringworld series available for Kindle but not the 3rd?

that's a pretty funny prank on ringworld readers

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Battle Royale is nearly 20 years old at this point, and it's getting ridiculous how many YA novels (and movies) are pretty much "dystopian future, kids fight each other - they win. the end"

And the Running Man by King is even older than that. No kids there though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ The Most Dangerous Game (man v man) is a very, very old plotline. Making it a YA setting is a somewhat more recent clichee.

Chairchucker posted:

Did you quote the wrong post? I have no idea how this response relates to what Patrat said.
Hmm I must have. Someone was saying they didn't see how it was like hunger games.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Battle Royale owes more to Lord of the Flies than Most Dangerous Game in that it was about taking something perceived as innocent (teenagers) and ripping that innocence away completely. Manga and anime in general love their dumb teenaged protagonists and once in a while they make a nod to how it's actually kind of horrifying to stick kids in combat situations, but mostly they just ignore it in favor of power fantasy. Granted, Royale was certainly about spectacle as much as any thematic exploration.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kids these days are just really into necrophilia and murdering their classmates

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Has anyone read the new Tim Powers, Medusa's Web? Is it any good?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cardiac posted:

And the Running Man by King is even older than that. No kids there though.

The Long Walk is kids, though, although they don't have to do the actual killing themselves...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Long Walk is a pretty clear-cut Vietnam/conscription allegory.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
edit: wrong thread sorry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

It's also a lot more interesting and original than Running Man. Of all the Bachmann books, Running Man is easily the worst.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I honestly think The Long Walk is up there with The Mist as the best stuff King's ever written.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Has anyone read anything by Stephen Graham Jones?

I've just read Mongrels, it's very good. Werewolf story, amazing voice and extremely cool.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

kids these days are just really into necrophilia and murdering their classmates

Actually yes, there are pretty creepy news about messed up child murderers every now and then. Kids today are definitely more messed up than 40 years ago

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mallamp posted:

Actually yes, there are pretty creepy news about messed up child murderers every now and then. Kids today are definitely more messed up than 40 years ago

The Leopold and Loeb murder happened in 1924.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Loads of hosed up things happened but no one was around to tell about it or write it down or plaster it all over Facebook.

It's safer to be a kid today than it has ever been in human history if you are white and live in the west, at least

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

the_homemaster posted:

Has anyone read anything by Stephen Graham Jones?

I've just read Mongrels, it's very good. Werewolf story, amazing voice and extremely cool.

Yeah, I've read his The Gospel of Z, which was one of the most entertaining and original zombie novels I've ever read, and I'm currently reading his All the Beautiful Sinners, which is a weird noir crime novel. He's a talented and diverse writer, he writes across many different genres and styles, and he also has a ton of short stories, one of my favorites of which is When Swords Had Names. It's a very dark, grim and strange fantasy story with a lot of horror elements and can be read free at this link: http://thedarkmagazine.com/swords-names/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

freebooter posted:

You're going to have to explain that one to me, because it isn't clear at all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jedit posted:

You're going to have to explain that one to me, because it isn't clear at all.
Young men being conscripted into a competition which is almost guaranteed to be fatal ffor them, and then when the last one survives, he cannot stop walking - he never really makes it home.

It's not the way I read it, but I can easily see what he means and it does make a lot of sense, imho.

Long Walk is one of my favorite King stories by far, although frankly Apt Pupil and Rage were also two of my other favorites. It's probably why I think so little of Running Man - all the others were just so loving good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mallamp posted:

http://www.alternet.org/story/14581...f_serial_killer

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

D-Pad posted:

Because no one wants it. It's absolute shite.

Edit: There are 5 books, btw.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

XBenedict posted:

Reminds me of Octavia Butler's Survivor.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

XBenedict posted:

To be fair, unlike the fourth one, Ringworld Throne doesn't come with a preface stating that Niven ripped off the plot from somebody's fanfic idea on the Ringworld fans newsgroup. Still poo poo though.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Solitair posted:

Reminds me of Octavia Butler's Survivor.

You mean as in it's bad? I'm asking because I'm almost finished reading the entire Patternmaster ebook bundle and that one wasn't included.

I'm also not enjoying it as much as Lilith's Brood, so if Survivor isn't great, I won't bother tracking it down.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I would've assumed she'd be way more into H H Holmes

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

I would've assumed she'd be way more into H H Holmes

He was a true trendsetter, and someone who could envision and build something real.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Young men being conscripted into a competition which is almost guaranteed to be fatal ffor them, and then when the last one survives, he cannot stop walking - he never really makes it home.

It's not the way I read it, but I can easily see what he means and it does make a lot of sense, imho.

Long Walk is one of my favorite King stories by far, although frankly Apt Pupil and Rage were also two of my other favorites. It's probably why I think so little of Running Man - all the others were just so loving good.

Plus not really realising the seriousness of what they're getting into, making new friends only to watch them die soon after, the futility of the entire endeavour, and watching their numbers being drawn out live on TV, Powerball-style.

The critical difference is that the Long Walk kids volunteer while real-life soldiers were conscripted, but the spectre of Vietnam definitely looms throughout the book.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Stuporstar posted:

You mean as in it's bad? I'm asking because I'm almost finished reading the entire Patternmaster ebook bundle and that one wasn't included.

I'm also not enjoying it as much as Lilith's Brood, so if Survivor isn't great, I won't bother tracking it down.

Butler herself kept Survivor from being reprinted with the other Patternmaster books because she became ashamed of its basic premise. Here's a review with more details. You can probably make up your mind about it with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any good sci-fi books that take place at a time when humans have colonized the solar system but haven't yet spread beyond it?