Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If I can find someone to go in on a sixer I think I'm gonna pull the trigger although $50 (wholesale) is much much more than I'be ever spent on wine in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Hit me up, I'll pay for 3 bottles.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

Hit me up, I'll pay for 3 bottles.

Lemme talk to my rep and I'll be in touch, my roommate might be in for 2 so if you'd be interested in splitting the sixer 3-ways that could work too. Are you in the US? I've never shipped wine before so you'd need to walk me through but yeah it's the 2008 Duet Lux and it's mind blowing

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Lemme talk to my rep and I'll be in touch, my roommate might be in for 2 so if you'd be interested in splitting the sixer 3-ways that could work too. Are you in the US? I've never shipped wine before so you'd need to walk me through but yeah it's the 2008 Duet Lux and it's mind blowing

I'm down to split a 6er. I'm in the us, Texas specifically.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ok cool. I should have my mind made up by the end of the week & I'll be in touch!! email is mattnotgeorge@gmail.com feel free to shoot me a line there and we can work it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

I'm down to split a 6er. I'm in the us, Texas specifically.

Also, just to give you the details, it's a pre-order deal (available once a year) via the small vineyards program through AdVintage based out of (I think?) Charleston. I'd order now and probably get the wine in June, I can cover the cost now and don't expect you to throw in til I've actually got it and I'm ready to ship but if you're interested please remain interested til then because I really don't wanna eat $300 in a wine purchase all by myself.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Also, just to give you the details, it's a pre-order deal (available once a year) via the small vineyards program through AdVintage based out of (I think?) Charleston. I'd order now and probably get the wine in June, I can cover the cost now and don't expect you to throw in til I've actually got it and I'm ready to ship but if you're interested please remain interested til then because I really don't wanna eat $300 in a wine purchase all by myself.

dont worry, Ill wire for good wine. Ill throw 100 + shipping into a savings account.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

gently caress's happening here?!??

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Bathing suit area touching party.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Slinging some good rear end wine at cost is what's happening. If I don't get ripped off here or whatever (I believe in you fellow goon "Secret Spoon") Im always down to split a case of something sick before my current place of employment realizes their mistake in appointing me a "buyer" or whatever

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

Whoa I tasted some incredible Slovenian stuff today. The Duet Lux from (I think?) Edi Simici blew my mind

Simcic. Try Marjan Simcic's stuff too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm drinking a Coonawarra Cab Sauv for the first time right now, and I'm getting like a green, salty flavour on the finish I can't quite describe. It reminds me of seaweed, or maybe a little bit of oyster liquor. Is this what's described as "eucalyptus?" It's not unpleasant, in fact it's really growing on me, but I sure as gently caress didn't expect it, and I don't think I've tasted it before.

Edit: it's Nugan Estate Alcira Vineyard, if that helps any.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2016

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

PT6A posted:

I'm drinking a Coonawarra Cab Sauv for the first time right now, and I'm getting like a green, salty flavour on the finish I can't quite describe. It reminds me of seaweed, or maybe a little bit of oyster liquor. Is this what's described as "eucalyptus?" It's not unpleasant, in fact it's really growing on me, but I sure as gently caress didn't expect it, and I don't think I've tasted it before.

Edit: it's Nugan Estate Alcira Vineyard, if that helps any.

The green aroma is pyrazines, a family of aromatics that smell like jalapeno and green bell pepper. It is indeed a signature of Coonawara Cab, though it's present in most Bordeaux grapes (Cabs Sauv and Franc, Merlot, and tons in Carmenere) to varying degrees unless they're extremely ripe. The eucalyptus aroma is a little contentious, but it's a minty aroma and the general theory is that it's caused by eucalyptus leaves literally falling into the ferment. It's not related to pyrazines, but they have a synergistic effect because both taste "green." The saltiness is also unrelated and is once again contentious, but the prevailing theory is it's once again an effect of minerals getting directly into the ferment. Usually through a salty see breeze, but in this case it would be the fine dusty soil which easily becomes airborne. And finally, "seaweed" and "oyster liquor" suggest umami which is often present in pyrazinic reds.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kasumeat posted:

The green aroma is pyrazines, a family of aromatics that smell like jalapeno and green bell pepper. It is indeed a signature of Coonawara Cab, though it's present in most Bordeaux grapes (Cabs Sauv and Franc, Merlot, and tons in Carmenere) to varying degrees unless they're extremely ripe. The eucalyptus aroma is a little contentious, but it's a minty aroma and the general theory is that it's caused by eucalyptus leaves literally falling into the ferment. It's not related to pyrazines, but they have a synergistic effect because both taste "green." The saltiness is also unrelated and is once again contentious, but the prevailing theory is it's once again an effect of minerals getting directly into the ferment. Usually through a salty see breeze, but in this case it would be the fine dusty soil which easily becomes airborne. And finally, "seaweed" and "oyster liquor" suggest umami which is often present in pyrazinic reds.

Thanks for the in-depth response! It all makes good sense. I'll have to try some other examples from Coonawarra to see how they compare.

Goddamnit, the expansion of my wine hobby is not good for my wallet, is it?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

PT6A posted:

Thanks for the in-depth response! It all makes good sense. I'll have to try some other examples from Coonawarra to see how they compare.

Goddamnit, the expansion of my wine hobby is not good for my wallet, is it?

Wynn's Black Label is one of the best Cabs in the world and ridiculously affordable. Definitely seek that out. It ages really well too so grab an older example if possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kasumeat posted:

Wynn's Black Label is one of the best Cabs in the world and ridiculously affordable. Definitely seek that out. It ages really well too so grab an older example if possible.

Will do, I actually remember seeing it at the store and passing it over.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Small correction - pyrazines aren't as related to the ripeness of the grapes as they are to the amounts of sunlight/shading the grapes get. Shaded grapes develop more pyrazines, and vineyard management techniques like leaf pulling or canopy thinning can help out if the farmer/winemaker is looking for less pyrazines.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I've heard also that vine stress can bring pyrazines out, which is the primary reason NZ SBs are loaded with them.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Yeah perhaps. I've had some Cab Franc that was 18 brix with barely a trace of green.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Are pyrazines particularly volatile? I had a taste of the Nugan Estate again this morning, and whatever taste I was getting last night was considerably less pronounced.

I picked up a bottle of the Wynns Black Label too, so I'll see how they compare side by side a bit later on.

EDIT: It seems like what I was tasting was definitely a feature of the specific wine or vineyard, rather than the region. The Wynns Black Label is loving awesome (thanks for the recommendation!), but it doesn't have the same green/umami thing. The Nugan Estate is a slightly lesser quality wine overall, in my judgement, but I really like its cool, idiosyncratic nature.

I'm glad to have had an occasion to try more good Australian wines, because I have to confess to holding a prejudice against them based on my earlier experiments with their mass-market offerings (and mainly based on their style of Shiraz, which would be the same as judging all of America based on the fact I don't really like prototypical Napa Cab Sauvs).

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 17, 2016

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

PT6A posted:

I'm glad to have had an occasion to try more good Australian wines, because I have to confess to holding a prejudice against them based on my earlier experiments with their mass-market offerings (and mainly based on their style of Shiraz, which would be the same as judging all of America based on the fact I don't really like prototypical Napa Cab Sauvs).

If they're available where you are, I'd try to hunt down some cab and cab blends from the Margaret River (Western Australia) region... far superior to Coonawarra imo (though admittedly different), and definitely more consistent. FWIW, there've been many favourable comparisons to Bordeaux - think "Bordeaux, with a new world slant".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SonicDefiance posted:

If they're available where you are, I'd try to hunt down some cab and cab blends from the Margaret River (Western Australia) region... far superior to Coonawarra imo (though admittedly different), and definitely more consistent. FWIW, there've been many favourable comparisons to Bordeaux - think "Bordeaux, with a new world slant".

That sounds right up my alley, and I'm definitely trying to familiarize myself with any good region I can find wines from.

I know there were some Margaret River Cab Sauvs at the liquor store but I went for Coonawarra as it was mentioned more prominently in the WSET text I'm reading. That sounds like a good mission for next week...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

That's very interesting! But I am a bit skeptical to the idea of regularly contaminated ferments. Isn't it mint or eucalyptus a common tasting note from other regions as well? I attended a mini-lecture on wine chemistry a few months ago, it was very simply presented for the attending amateurs but the gist of it was "holy poo poo does the grape contain a lot of stuff". iIt doesn't seem at all surprising that it would contain enough chemical wizardy to produce the same substances that make eucalyptus smell like eucalyptus. And all terroir-ists get a tingle in their special place at the notion that a grape planted in certain plance would start to taste slightly of indigenous plants.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I have heard (even from winemakers) that the roots of eucalyptus trees will continue to affect the nearby soil for many years to come, even after the tree has been removed. Now, I have always wanted further backing up of this commonly accepted notion. The proof that the minerality of the soil does not get into the juice in any substantial way makes me suspicious about eucalyptus flavor that somehow can. Anyway, I was doing a tasting with some people and the winemaker and we were giving him notes and we all agreed that there must be a eucalyptus grove nearby because we all got these notes. He said nope, eucalyptus has never grown in his area.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Ola posted:

That's very interesting! But I am a bit skeptical to the idea of regularly contaminated ferments. Isn't it mint or eucalyptus a common tasting note from other regions as well? I attended a mini-lecture on wine chemistry a few months ago, it was very simply presented for the attending amateurs but the gist of it was "holy poo poo does the grape contain a lot of stuff". iIt doesn't seem at all surprising that it would contain enough chemical wizardy to produce the same substances that make eucalyptus smell like eucalyptus. And all terroir-ists get a tingle in their special place at the notion that a grape planted in certain plance would start to taste slightly of indigenous plants.

Have you ever been at a sorting table? All sorts of poo poo gets into ferments.

Overwined posted:

I have heard (even from winemakers) that the roots of eucalyptus trees will continue to affect the nearby soil for many years to come, even after the tree has been removed. Now, I have always wanted further backing up of this commonly accepted notion. The proof that the minerality of the soil does not get into the juice in any substantial way makes me suspicious about eucalyptus flavor that somehow can. Anyway, I was doing a tasting with some people and the winemaker and we were giving him notes and we all agreed that there must be a eucalyptus grove nearby because we all got these notes. He said nope, eucalyptus has never grown in his area.

I've never heard the root theory though it's certainly possible. Don't see anything about it on Google though. Leaves are airborne and have a very high eucalyptol content so that's the dominant theory. Regardless of how exactly it happens, the closer your vineyard to Eucalyptus trees, the higher the eucalyptol content of the finished wine: http://www.academicwino.com/2013/08/vineyard-proximity-eucalyptus-tree.html/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just weird that it would happen regularly and reliable. Also very strange that eucalyptus leaves would sometimes blow all the way to Bordeaux. So it is perhaps more likely that an element of the same biochemistry is present in both plants. There are many other similar examples, for example the molecule that makes a green apple taste like green apple is also present in Sauvignon Blancs which taste of green apple.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It could very easily be some combination of both factors. The fact that it seems to depend on how close your vines are to eucalyptus trees would seem to suggest the eucalyptus trees are in some way responsible, but the fact that the same flavour is present in wines that are produced where no eucalyptus trees exist suggests that it could be the biochemistry of the grape. I don't think it has to be one or the other.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

There could be other plants and/or minerals in the areas that similar effects as eucalyptus. To shift the conversation a bit, it can really trample the more delicate flavors and aromas of a wine. Eucalyptus kind of sticks with you and accumulates in your palate so that after drinking a bunch of wines with that influence you feel like you just smoked a shitload of menthol cigarettes.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Ola posted:

I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just weird that it would happen regularly and reliable. Also very strange that eucalyptus leaves would sometimes blow all the way to Bordeaux. So it is perhaps more likely that an element of the same biochemistry is present in both plants. There are many other similar examples, for example the molecule that makes a green apple taste like green apple is also present in Sauvignon Blancs which taste of green apple.

Cabernet Sauvignon and other Bordeaux grapes definitely have a herbaceous quality that can present as mint. But it's not as lifted as Australia's signature eucalyptol aroma which consistently presents in a great deal of Aussie wines, including those which aren't otherwise herbaceous at all.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
There's also the Southern Rhone/Languedoc notion of "garrigue" for plant/wine relationships. I don't know how much I buy into the whole thing, but it seems plausible at least. A little eucalyptus goes a pretty long way.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

There's also the Southern Rhone/Languedoc notion of "garrigue" for plant/wine relationships. I don't know how much I buy into the whole thing, but it seems plausible at least. A little eucalyptus goes a pretty long way.

I feel like garrigue has some weight to it because the plant itself is so mobile, being a tumbleweed and all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have tasted mint and/or eucaluptus in Bordeaux and read the same in pro tasting notes (and defintely garrigue in Rhônes). I would be hard pressed to tell the difference when smelled/tasted in a wine. As I said above, it does tickle the pickle of a terroir-person that the wine tastes of its land in such a specific way. I think there's something to it, but I'm not a anything-ologist so I can only guess. Perhaps there is some combination of soil, sun and water that promotes a certain chemical - this will be detectable in some way, perhaps only through lab analysis, in most plants, but quite a lot in (say) specific varieties of wine grape which is known to contain so many aromatic compounds. But most of all it will be detectable in plants that have evolved in that specific climate and somehow taken advantage of it.

I guess I need to get some Coonawarra Cab and try. Suggestions? Quick search suggests my options are Yalumba The Menzies 2008 or Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2012.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Ola posted:

I guess I need to get some Coonawarra Cab and try. Suggestions? Quick search suggests my options are Yalumba The Menzies 2008 or Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2012.

I'm repeating my recent rec here, but both of those are great, though I prefer the Wynn's and it's like half the price.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Kasumeat posted:

I've never heard the root theory though it's certainly possible. Don't see anything about it on Google though. Leaves are airborne and have a very high eucalyptol content so that's the dominant theory. Regardless of how exactly it happens, the closer your vineyard to Eucalyptus trees, the higher the eucalyptol content of the finished wine: http://www.academicwino.com/2013/08/vineyard-proximity-eucalyptus-tree.html/

I've spent a lot of time fruit sorting and overseeing sorting crews. We sort a bin (~0.4 ton) of Pinot in around 8 minutes, two cluster sorters three to five berry sorters.

I know that the fruit from every block of the vineyard contiguous to the winery goes to tank leaf free. I also know that blocks b1 & b2 are the only blocks under eucalyptus and are the only two blocks that every year display that Halls cough drop character. I think its eucalyptus oil building up on the skins. This year after flowering I'll try to remember to stick a plank or something more inert out there in the fruit zone to see if it picks up the same character.

I bet the trellis is scratch-n-sniff euc, but you could never tell because everything on that hillside smells like that. Well typing that makes me think soil to vine transport is another possibility.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gonna order the Wynn's, it's actually less than half price. And just realized I've bought zero new world Cab for years now, so time for a change.

Stitecin posted:

I think its eucalyptus oil building up on the skins.

Of course, that makes a lot of sense. The skins are exposed for a long time after all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Reason I'm not drinking new world Cab is that I'm busy trying oddball stuff like this. Had these last weekend + a dry 2009 which I don't have a pic of.

I've had that sweet Tokaj before, it's amazing with blue cheese. Also good value compared to Sauternes. The dry ones were very cheap, I think they are testing the Norwegian market. Just like the sweet one matches blue cheese, the dry ones are great for hard cheeses like Parmesan or Gruyère. I figure they are sherry for people that don't want to drink sherry, probably great for soups where sherry is a classic match as well. The 2003 had nuts, dried figs or prunes, a bit of (pleasant) glue or paint thinner or something like that. The 2009 was more oaky, both great and I will definitely have some more. Both have ~5 grams of residual sugar, yet they are both from botrytized berries and I was trying to figure out which tastes came from that specific condition. I see botrytis mentioned in tasting notes all the time, often as a subtle fault in wines that shouldn't have it. Since I don't really know where the noble rot begins and the other characteristics end, it's hard to learn exactly what botrytis tastes like. Google doesn't yield any consistent answers, any suggestions?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Ola posted:

Of course, that makes a lot of sense. The skins are exposed for a long time after all.

It also explains the garrigue and lavender found in some Rhone and Provencal reds and why you only get those characteristics in red wines.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Wine weekend in NYC:

Friend pulled out some Burgundy Cremant when I got to his place, we promptly drank the whole thing. Really nice.

Bottle after bottle of Barbera d'Asti at OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria in NYC with a large group. I should have recorded the label. My cousin's boyfriend bragged that his choice was not on the retail market at all, but I was skeptical.

The $13 Trader Joes Pouilly-Fumé I brought was definitely serviceable, capped off the night with it.

Finally next day my hosts opened a $30 Margaux. Agreed it was kinda meh, just tasted like an unremarkable Cabernet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I don't think I've ever drank a bottle of Cremant de Bourgogne I've disliked or was even blase about. They're all very good and all well-priced for what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Now that I'm trying to get a feel for individual GIs in the new world, particularly Down Under, it's frustrating how few wines from, say, Margaret River or Hawke's Bay, actually get stocked. Barossa or Marlborough? Easy as all gently caress. Coming out of everyone's ears.

This is after my adventure on Saturday to do my WSET "homework" and taste a white Bordeaux. It's loving near impossible to find a good example (read: anything above Mouton Cadet). I'm not going to tiny wine stores that lack for shelf space or selection, either -- some of these stores are stocking first and second growth Bordeaux, so clearly they aren't just catering to mass-market stuff. What am I doing wrong?