Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll edit in links when I'm not on phone, but Chokes McGee's LPs of Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 are good narrative reads.

E: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Legend-%28by-Chokes-McGee%29/
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Legend-II/

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Any good video LPs of Fallout 3?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jewmander put his Ultima 9 videos up on Youtube.

They are the Ultima in entertainment. Ok bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6fifM95As

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm dry on video LPs where people shoot poo poo about dumb JRPGs. Enchanted Arms LP hasn't grabbed me yet, the Eternal Sonata LP updates very slowly, and Skies of Arcadia LP is ending soon - what else is there?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm dry on video LPs where people shoot poo poo about dumb JRPGs. Enchanted Arms LP hasn't grabbed me yet, the Eternal Sonata LP updates very slowly, and Skies of Arcadia LP is ending soon - what else is there?
The archive has quite a few takes on FFXIII and JRPGs don't get much dumber.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

The archive has quite a few takes on FFXIII and JRPGs don't get much dumber.

That's not true at all. Its sequels make XIII look like beloved classic literature by comparison. :colbert:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
FFXII-2 is a lobotomy.

e: And while i'm at it, I've suffered through enough Tales and Kingdom Hearts. And I guess Zelda games might count as RPGs?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 13, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

FFXII-2 is a lobotomy.

e: And while i'm at it, I've suffered through enough Tales and Kingdom Hearts. And I guess Zelda games might count as RPGs?

Rogue Galaxy by Bobbin Threadbare, perhaps?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM 2 recently came out and I am enjoying it but I would like to watch others play so I could learn from their skills and/or lack thereof. Has anyone seen a good LP of XCOM 2 out in the wild that they'd recommend?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Beaglerush is the best player of XCOM, no question. He has his Live and Legendary playthrough of XCOM 2 that only has a few videos cause he's been real busy with the release of the game, so it's best to watch his streams every Tuesday here

fibio
Apr 3, 2015

CJacobs posted:

XCOM 2 recently came out and I am enjoying it but I would like to watch others play so I could learn from their skills and/or lack thereof. Has anyone seen a good LP of XCOM 2 out in the wild that they'd recommend?

I could point you to half a dozen, but that's too much XCOM even for me. Of the youtubers I follow Christopher Odd's is pretty good, and the run is almost complete so there's plenty of content to dig into. Alternately Marborzir is probably a better player, but he has a strong acent that may make him hard to follow if you aren't a native English speaker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you both for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is on the LP Archive and the Second Chapter is being done by Really Pants here. I haven't got to reading them yet, but I hear they're good.

edit: VVV I good at reading :eng99:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 14, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aithon posted:

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is on the LP Archive and the Second Chapter is being done by Really Pants here. I haven't got to reading them yet, but I hear they're good.

Those aren't VLPs. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pizdec posted:

Any good video LPs of Fallout 3?

He's only got 2 different challenge runs up for 3, one of which is an Iron Man run but without healing for good measure and is still ongoing, but I would definitely go with Many A True Nerd for that by far. He certainly knows what he's doing, even when it's with regards to an aspect he hasn't done before and can explain what he's doing and why very well along with keeping things fairly interesting for the somewhat lengthy (around 30-40 minutes each) videos.

If you were after a more generic, regular playthrough then I have no ideas sorry.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Does Danny O'Dwyer's "naked and gunless" run of Fallout 3 count?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can anyone point me to a good LP of heretic, or hexen? Video (obviously), and commentary that's preferably not subtitled.

I know Valkhorn or whoever did one, but

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Suspicious did all of those games. Here's Hexen. The rest are archived, so they shouldn't be hard to find. The only one that isn't is Heretic II, but it's hosted on Baldurdash and has unlisted YouTube mirrors.

The only downside is the quality, since some of them were in '07 and '08.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC he's utterly amazing at the games too. You don't know the horror of limited resources until you played Hexen 2 on Nightmare.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

fibio posted:

I could point you to half a dozen, but that's too much XCOM even for me. Of the youtubers I follow Christopher Odd's is pretty good, and the run is almost complete so there's plenty of content to dig into. Alternately Marborzir is probably a better player, but he has a strong acent that may make him hard to follow if you aren't a native English speaker.
Marbozir is just very polish, I've been playing games with him for a couple of years and you really do need to get used to his accent. :v:

Anyway content:

Jsor posted:

This is probably a tall order, but are there any good VLPs of World of Warcraft (even non-SA ones)? I'm not looking for something amazing and tightly edited, just something relaxing and moderately entertaining, basically just leveling up and chilling. An Ironman Challenge LP could be fun.
Asmongold is doing an ironman run right now, In general he is pretty entertaining (if bordering the line between ironic "bro" and actual bro once in a while). Just skip the mail parts of the video's near the end. His general edited content is pretty entertaining, his ramblings not so much.
No playlist, but here is part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGPwwl-d7Q

Zedd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 15, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Any good VLPs of 0007:Nightfire?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Well there is The Last Story by Wateyad, Porklift and EatingOnlyApples, as well as Fragile Dreams by Wateyad and Porklift. You might also like Blue Stinger by Panzer Skank and OatmealRaisin.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

He's only got 2 different challenge runs up for 3, one of which is an Iron Man run but without healing for good measure and is still ongoing, but I would definitely go with Many A True Nerd for that by far. He certainly knows what he's doing, even when it's with regards to an aspect he hasn't done before and can explain what he's doing and why very well along with keeping things fairly interesting for the somewhat lengthy (around 30-40 minutes each) videos.

If you were after a more generic, regular playthrough then I have no ideas sorry.
This looks good, thank you. :)

Aside from what has already been recommended, there's also the currently running Lost Odyssey LP.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Its not a "proper" LP but thevoiceofdog did a bunch of Final Fantasy 8 streams with some buddies of his that are really fun to listen to!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Its not a "proper" LP but thevoiceofdog did a bunch of Final Fantasy 8 streams with some buddies of his that are really fun to listen to!

In the same vein, Smite streamed FF9 recently. I asked and he's fine with me posting the whole thing, so here's the archived videos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In the same vein, Smite streamed FF9 recently. I asked and he's fine with me posting the whole thing, so here's the archived videos.

Oh that's wonderful. My laptop does not agree with Twitch so I always have to hope that people either put streams on Youtube since it will not buffer quickly enough to keep watching it.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Are there any games (and LPs) where the main character is canonically unintelligent or naive and is blatantly manipulated, while the player controlling the character is fully aware of the manipulation but has no choice but to go along with it?

I'm looking for something dark and depressing, maybe self destructive, not every RPG ever with the retarded hero being coerced into pointless quests that ultimately end up being a positive experience that is nice or at least neutral for wider society.

I appreciate this is super super specific so if you got anything remotely similar I'm :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Drakengard 2

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That or the White Knight Chronicles games. (I've been told that Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World also had these issues, but I never finished the LP.)

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Ivantod's Wing commander LP is only partially archived (images are present, videos lost). Is there a good LP of wing commander anywhere on the web? And if one were to follow the Ivantod LP along side a longplay, would one miss anything?

Any Half life mod threads around with working video links? There was a couple a long time ago that I know of, sadly they have been lost to time.

Dander My DOSDruid fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 23, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Malfegor posted:

Ivantod's Wing commander LP is only partially archived (images are present, videos lost). Is there a good LP of wing commander anywhere on the web? And if one were to follow the Ivantod LP along side a longplay, would one miss anything?

Any Half life mod threads around with working video links? There was a couple a long time ago that I know of, sadly they have been lost to time.

MaNiAk and co. are in the midst of stumbling their way through Sven Co-op, the multiplayer mod for the original Half-Life. It's fun if you want to watch a bunch of guys break the game over their knee in funny ways, but honestly I'd more put this one in the "background noise for when you're working on other stuff" category. That's not a dig or a slight at MaNiAk, it's just a thing that tends to be inherent to these types of lengthy, group-based safari type exploration LPs is all.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
For some reason I was seized by the desire to see the trainwreck of Other M firsthand (well, secondhand, since it's an LP, I guess). I know there are a couple different LPs of it floating around; can anyone recommend one above the others?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Maple Leaf's LP is pretty good for seeing someone start at "at least the gameplay is alright" and slowly hate the game more and more as time goes on. It's the only one I've watched, though, so I can't tell you how it compares to others.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Maple Leaf's LP is pretty good for seeing someone start at "at least the gameplay is alright" and slowly hate the game more and more as time goes on. It's the only one I've watched, though, so I can't tell you how it compares to others.

If you have archives, the thread is also worth a read due to the collections of interviews and looks at other Metroid games to explain why Other M is what it is.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Lord Malfegor posted:

Hi!

The videos got eaten when Viddler went commercial only; however I actually still have all the original recordings so am currently working on re-uploading the videos to Youtube after which I will ask baldurk to update the links in the archived LP. It took me a while to get going on this, but finally I am making progress and hopefully it should get done within the next week or so. Not sure how long it will take baldurk to update the links aftet that but I could make the links public at least until that's done so you could follow it that way.

Also, if you have platinum/archive access here it's very much worth reading the original thread in full instead of just the archived LP!

I guess if you would follow someone else's videos short comments that I make about what happened in each video probably wouldn't make too much sense. :v: But storyline wise I guess you wouldn't miss anything.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
So I just powered through ChaosArgate's main story playthrough of Sleeping Dogs and loved it to bits, and need some more LPs of open world games with good duo or group commentary.

I've already seen Kaubocks and PanzerSkank's Saint's Row 2 and helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad's Mercenaries 2 but I may go rewatch them both in the meantime too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SWMadness posted:

So I just powered through ChaosArgate's main story playthrough of Sleeping Dogs and loved it to bits, and need some more LPs of open world games with good duo or group commentary.

I've already seen Kaubocks and PanzerSkank's Saint's Row 2 and helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad's Mercenaries 2 but I may go rewatch them both in the meantime too.
Have you seen Chip's LP of Watch_dogs? That was pretty entertaining as per usual.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Niggurath posted:

Have you seen Chip's LP of Watch_dogs? That was pretty entertaining as per usual.

Yeah, forgot to mention that one. Finishing watching through that was actually what made me go track down the Sleeping Dogs LP because people wouldn't shut up about the game in the thread.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Are there any decent LPs of Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain out there? The Super Best Friends' one is inept,as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SWMadness posted:

KalonZombie did Tomb Raider. And he's pretty much finished Good and Evil Infamous Second Son now and is working on Batman Arkham Asylum

https://www.youtube.com/user/kalonZombie/playlists?view=1&sort=dd

Or, since you just finished one lp of Sleeping Dogs you could immediately go in and watch other people [Strawhatno] play it all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhyyy6nra7VMwXYtPHZlL1icTYZKtRdZ Cut

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhyyy6nra7WB2OQwvMEFeY8EJ9tRrdZ5 Uncut

ChaosArgate also played through Saints Row 4 and Skippy Granola did Saints Row 3 years ago.

http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-IV/

http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-The-Third/