Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Don't know about Dolphin, but if you have an Nvidia video card, you can stream using Nvidia Gamestream or Moonlight. Both work great.

I DO have an NVidea card,does it stream only the games listed in the NVidea experience section or all Steam games that I might play?

In addition, not sure if this is a RPi or Kodi question but I'll check it here, I have just installe dit on RPi3 to get files streaming from my PC to my TV, and only audio and no picture. I checked a few Youtube vids that suggest changing the hardware acceleration, but it didn't seem to match the options I had, and none of it worked. Is this as simple as just buying the MPEG2 licence? I've not seen it suggested but the other ways didn't work and I wondered if they were taking that for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Fat Turkey posted:

I DO have an NVidea card,does it stream only the games listed in the NVidea experience section or all Steam games that I might play?

It will let you launch any game that is listed in the Nvidia Experience directly (and is even smart enough to automatically click past launcher like the one Fallout 4 has), or you can stream the Steam Big Picture interface and launch any game you want from there. You can also add any game you want, manually to the NV Experience on your PC and launch it directly.

I have seen it get a little stupid when directly launching a game that was purchased from Steam, while Steam is not running. It is like it times out while Steam is launching. It will usually work on the second try, though. I usually leave Steam running, 24/7, so it's usually not an issue.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Ah, thanks, running Big Picture mode is fine. Wanted to start playing the Telltale games and Life is Strange in the front room with a controller, where reactions don't need to be as fast if there's any lag, this sounds fine.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

Ah, thanks, running Big Picture mode is fine. Wanted to start playing the Telltale games and Life is Strange in the front room with a controller, where reactions don't need to be as fast if there's any lag, this sounds fine.

Nvidia GameStreaming is awesome, just make sure your network is up to snuff. At 1080p/60 your network needs to be able to maintain at least 30Mbit continuously. If both your PC and the ShieldTV are on WiFi, you might have some issues unless they are both on a 802.11AC connection with a great signal. If one device is wired, its going to be much less of an issue. And not an issue at all if both devices are wired.

Long as your network is good, lag is basically nonexistent.

Personally I have my ShieldTV on Ethernet, and my gaming PC on Wifi. It works perfectly unless another device on the 5Ghz band tries to do a large transfer such as copy a file. GameStreaming basically comes to a halt.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is anyone else having issues with Genesis in that some streams are pulling old TV episodes or are just way off?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bigass Moth posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Genesis in that some streams are pulling old TV episodes or are just way off?

Genesis is no longer supported. Get the new hotness.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Which is..?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
:ssh:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Nobody cares anymore. Just talk about them.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone have a fix for the skins losing settings on exit?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

r0ck0 posted:

Anyone have a fix for the skins losing settings on exit?

You have to properly close it instead of just hitting the home button (I imagine you're talking about an Android box?)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Call Me Charlie posted:

You have to properly close it instead of just hitting the home button (I imagine you're talking about an Android box?)

Ya, I changed the button mapping from exit to quit thinking that would help. It didn't. Is there a certain command I should use to exit kodi? And yes I am on android, nexus player to be exact.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

r0ck0 posted:

Ya, I changed the button mapping from exit to quit thinking that would help. It didn't. Is there a certain command I should use to exit kodi? And yes I am on android, nexus player to be exact.

Quit from the main menu should do the trick. I had the same issue happen on my Fire TV.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

stevewm posted:

Nvidia GameStreaming is awesome, just make sure your network is up to snuff. At 1080p/60 your network needs to be able to maintain at least 30Mbit continuously. If both your PC and the ShieldTV are on WiFi, you might have some issues unless they are both on a 802.11AC connection with a great signal. If one device is wired, its going to be much less of an issue. And not an issue at all if both devices are wired.

Long as your network is good, lag is basically nonexistent.

Personally I have my ShieldTV on Ethernet, and my gaming PC on Wifi. It works perfectly unless another device on the 5Ghz band tries to do a large transfer such as copy a file. GameStreaming basically comes to a halt.

This is good to hear, my PC is wired up to the router and my Pi is WiFi but the connection seems good. I'm aiming for 1080 30fps as a minimum, but will beef up to 60 if she can take it. But I'm having trouble at the final hurdle, the devices are paired and they communicate, but trying to stream gets me a failure at the control stream stage. From what I've read though, that's an error on the PC end, hoping a reinstall of the drivers will fix it.

Back to Kodi though, I'm coming close to screaming at this. R Pi is only downloading 15.2 and saying this is the latest version, when 16 is available. Still, doesn't seem like that enough to be the issue. I'm still getting just sound no video, and no response on whether it's because I need the DVD codec. I might just have to throw a couple of dollars at it in case that's the problem, but I've not heard anyone else complain they needed that to play video files. Maybe I'm just taking it for granted that they haven't already paid for the codex for R Pi.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What are you running on the Pi, Openelec? I don't think the Kodi team has their own "release" for the Pi, they're all third-party projects. Openelec 7 will be Kodi 16, and I believe its still in beta/RC stage. Ignore me if you're running something else, but make sure you actually have Kodi 16 available for whatever you're running.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So Kodi just lost their last Android developer because some toxic sperg nerd is loving the entire project up? How the hell can you view Android as a lesser platform in 2016? It's literally their largest userbase at this point and most certainly the future of the project at large.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

YouTuber posted:

So Kodi just lost their last Android developer because some toxic sperg nerd is loving the entire project up? How the hell can you view Android as a lesser platform in 2016? It's literally their largest userbase at this point and most certainly the future of the project at large.

Reading the thread, it sounds like the toxic sperg nerd might have been the Android developer.

e: For background, as best as I can figure out, their Android dev wanted to write a patch for v16 to support audio passthrough on Android, but the patch was huge, broke API for binary add-ons, and v16 was already late in the beta process. I gather that a proper fix for audio passthrough is already in v17, but the Android dev didn't think that was enough. I can totally understand why the developers who work on the video player would want to put their foot down and deny merging a potentially-buggy patch to rush a feature out to users. While it's frustrating to have your patch denied, it's something a developer needs to be able to deal with.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 17, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm shocked!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It should be noted that the sperg didn't just quit, he split off the Android part into SPMC (which is a terrible name btw).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Side Project Media Center?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

YouTuber posted:

Android is a lesser platform by design, it's just too bad it's doing too well to be scrapped.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If Android support stagnates then I'm ready to give up on Kodi anyway. The only thing I get out of it nowadays is better seeking through files (Plex and Emby seeking sucks) and library view customization. I don't really care about the internal politics and I don't pay them anything so meh, I'll just use whatever works best for me.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

PitViper posted:

What are you running on the Pi, Openelec? I don't think the Kodi team has their own "release" for the Pi, they're all third-party projects. Openelec 7 will be Kodi 16, and I believe its still in beta/RC stage. Ignore me if you're running something else, but make sure you actually have Kodi 16 available for whatever you're running.

I'm using Raspian, because I'm Baby's First Raspberry Pi user. It's running Kodi 15.2 according to the system files, yet when I use the standard file update to make sure it only gets the latest Kodi files, it says I'm up to date. On the Kodi website, it includes RPi in their Kodi 16 section. I am thinking I may have to switch the OS (thinking RetroPi), but any experience others have of this is always useful.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Gunslinger posted:

If Android support stagnates then I'm ready to give up on Kodi anyway. The only thing I get out of it nowadays is better seeking through files (Plex and Emby seeking sucks) and library view customization. I don't really care about the internal politics and I don't pay them anything so meh, I'll just use whatever works best for me.

I doubt it's going to stagnate, since their other video player devs wrote patches explicitly to support Android. The main issue, as best as I can tell, is that their core devs want to treat Android as an equal to the other platforms (i.e. you're not allowed to land a feature that only works on Android), whereas the dev who quit wanted to be able to land support for Android features as fast as possible.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm using Raspian, because I'm Baby's First Raspberry Pi user. It's running Kodi 15.2 according to the system files, yet when I use the standard file update to make sure it only gets the latest Kodi files, it says I'm up to date. On the Kodi website, it includes RPi in their Kodi 16 section. I am thinking I may have to switch the OS (thinking RetroPi), but any experience others have of this is always useful.

If you want to run Kodi on a Pi you should really get OpenElec, which is basically the Kodi client with some extra stuff to make it work as an OS, and that will run a lot better than having it installed on Raspian or RetroPI. You can install OpenElec via the NOOBS setup too.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Are Android devices still unable to change framerates (for playing 24/30/60 fps content)? If I recall correctly that was because the Android API did not allow for that. Is that still the case? I have been unable to find definitive information via Google.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

venutolo posted:

Are Android devices still unable to change framerates (for playing 24/30/60 fps content)? If I recall correctly that was because the Android API did not allow for that. Is that still the case? I have been unable to find definitive information via Google.

As of Marshmallow 6.0 andorid will adjust frame rate if the app supports it, kodi does.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

r0ck0 posted:

As of Marshmallow 6.0 andorid will adjust frame rate if the app supports it, kodi does.

Great. Thanks.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

venutolo posted:

Great. Thanks.

And it works fine. No issues on my shield.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Avenging Dentist posted:

Reading the thread, it sounds like the toxic sperg nerd might have been the Android developer.

e: For background, as best as I can figure out, their Android dev wanted to write a patch for v16 to support audio passthrough on Android, but the patch was huge, broke API for binary add-ons, and v16 was already late in the beta process. I gather that a proper fix for audio passthrough is already in v17, but the Android dev didn't think that was enough. I can totally understand why the developers who work on the video player would want to put their foot down and deny merging a potentially-buggy patch to rush a feature out to users. While it's frustrating to have your patch denied, it's something a developer needs to be able to deal with.

Yes, I'm sure this Android dev showed them because there's such a limited number of nerdy, talented, open-source a-lovin' Android devs1 out there, whatever will Kodi do?

1 No, there's billions of them.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

I doubt it's going to stagnate, since their other video player devs wrote patches explicitly to support Android. The main issue, as best as I can tell, is that their core devs want to treat Android as an equal to the other platforms (i.e. you're not allowed to land a feature that only works on Android), whereas the dev who quit wanted to be able to land support for Android features as fast as possible.

Yeah, I would not worry about Android support. The Kodi team does a good job of keeping all the platforms in step with each other. The thing this shitfit is over is the same thing that keeps the android build in parity with the bigger brothers.

Of course that thread is full of Android users who'd rather see the project burn to the ground than anything interfere with their builds.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Electronico6 posted:

If you want to run Kodi on a Pi you should really get OpenElec, which is basically the Kodi client with some extra stuff to make it work as an OS, and that will run a lot better than having it installed on Raspian or RetroPI. You can install OpenElec via the NOOBS setup too.

Openelec seems to be taking their sweet time pushing out v7.0 (Kodi 16) and alpha/beta/RC versions don't seem to be as easily available as I remember them being. Currently I'm just dealing with my Pi media extenders being on a different version than my full HTPC in the living room, and letting them update their own old database until everything gets updated to Jarvis.

As far as ease-of-use, I agree Openelec seems to be best. After the initial install, I just handle updates via SSH. They work great as inexpensive extender boxes for playback, and I use an older Atom/ION full Kodi/Ubuntu setup as our main setup.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

PitViper posted:

Openelec seems to be taking their sweet time pushing out v7.0 (Kodi 16) and alpha/beta/RC versions don't seem to be as easily available as I remember them being. Currently I'm just dealing with my Pi media extenders being on a different version than my full HTPC in the living room, and letting them update their own old database until everything gets updated to Jarvis.

As far as ease-of-use, I agree Openelec seems to be best. After the initial install, I just handle updates via SSH. They work great as inexpensive extender boxes for playback, and I use an older Atom/ION full Kodi/Ubuntu setup as our main setup.

If you have some computing power laying around and don't want to wait any more, it's not that hard to build your own image from source, takes about 1.5h on my Xeon E5-1620 build server.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source

edit: they seem to have some images up on their build server if you're feeling adventuristic, a lot faster than compiling from source: http://milhouse.openelec.tv/builds/master/. Based on versioning, they might be trying to iron out RPi3 support before a major release.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 18, 2016

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SPMC Jarvis looks to be live on the play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc16

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I was just thinking about this SPMC fork and I decided it could be a good thing (for me at least) as long as it remains compatible with the plugins I use. I mean, if the guy wants to churn out updates and patches faster than the core Kodi project I'll take 'em.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
What does kodi really need extra? Android does need the proper pass through and some other fixes but is there really much else to add?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

What does kodi really need extra? Android does need the proper pass through and some other fixes but is there really much else to add?

Always room for improvement. http://trac.kodi.tv/roadmap

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The new default skin looks awesome and will be a step up from confluence.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

LmaoTheKid posted:

The new default skin looks awesome and will be a step up from confluence.

And looks similar to the Emby app which my wife really liked. Should save me a little cash once it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

You could have said this 10 versions ago.

There's always bugs to fix, features to add, new Android features and hardware to support. Software is never done.