Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

Honestly, F1 should have a relaxed rule-set so people can do clever poo poo and make cars go as fast as the rules and ingenuity allows them to be. gently caress cost savings, gently caress road car relevance, gently caress mid-season rule fuckery and especially gently caress greenwashing.

well yeah, that's can-am's philosophy and they stuck around for the long-term and are a very stable racing series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
can-am did nothing wrong, they only folded because of saudis loving over everyone in the oil crisis

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

can-am spent their way to death and the wide-open rules led to a single car/team dominating every year, so if that's your idea of improving F1 then lmao

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
anything else than this current rule-set is an improvement for F1

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What if there was a salary cap of sorts though? Wouldn't it force teams and manufacturers alike to make extremely crafty components at minimal cost, all the while leveling the playing field? You could set a minimum and maximum, so you can still have lovely new teams - but all the big dogs play under the same $$$ constraint. I mean, you look at the division of funds in F1 and it's a bit loving absurd.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
then it becomes a question of who's going to have the best accountants

team who spends the most still gets a poo poo-ton of victories

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

But all teams can spend the most if they can afford the cap? This cap wouldn't be set at something unattainable by atleast 1/2 to 3/4 of the field. I'm not sure how you'd police parts costs, but it'd be nice in theory.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have to wonder if splitting the prize money equally amongst all competing teams and creating an impetus to be the most competitive to get the most TV screen time (and therefore attract the best sponsors) might be a better idea, combined with an engine cost cap for non factory teams that cannot exceed 50% of the annual prize money for each team.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
the cost cap is irrelevant due to the most money-loaded teams discovering the best way to cook the books

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Triple A posted:

the cost cap is irrelevant due to the most money-loaded teams discovering the best way to cook the books

Inevitable. I'm just spitballing ideas to make it economical for midfield and tail end teams to actually survive.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

darth cookie posted:

Inevitable. I'm just spitballing ideas to make it economical for midfield and tail end teams to actually survive.

the only way most of them can even be economically viable is becoming either the playthings of oil sheiks or by becoming/supplying part-time entries

and since there's no single car semi-pro entries to fill out the grid, good luck with that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

equally distribution of funds pretty much needs to happen, it's the only way to stabilize the midfield teams, but a cost cap is just impossible to enforce and would only create more problems

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Factory spec engines for everyone! Go nuts with your chassis and aero!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

be nice wicka posted:

equally distribution of funds pretty much needs to happen, it's the only way to stabilize the midfield teams, but a cost cap is just impossible to enforce and would only create more problems

the only real criteria for getting the money in the first place would be "Be present for every race and qualify both of your cars in every one of them"

the money should more or less be the same for every team, no matter how much everyone's favorite energy drink billboard or self-important italians complain

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

No doubt. But ensuring SOME limitations (particularly on the most expensive component - the power unit) at least ensures that there's at least some money left over for the teams to develop and pay their staff and whatnot. Sure some teams are going to have more money from other sources, or factory support, or better sponsors, or richer backers, or whatever. They'll have more money and they'll still win, but the idea is to try to keep grids a little fuller, and perhaps with enough wiggle room in their left over money after the power unit is paid for to develop other things that might move them up (or possibly down) the grid.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Diet Crack posted:

Factory spec engines for everyone! Go nuts with your chassis and aero!

engine homologation would be legit great for the sport

they can do some crazy poo poo there but they do need to make a triple digit of them every year

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

enri posted:

Mercedes time as top dog will come to an end eventually, just got to stick through the tough bits

2000-2004 never forget :smith:

edit: gotta love this headline - Bernie Ecclestone declares F1's new qualifying format 'pretty crap'

People seem to forget the Ferrari years pretty quickly. 2002/4 were horrendous, and the two Ferrari drivers couldn't even race each other.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A local aerial photographer worked at the F1 last year and made a 360 degree interactive panorama of the racetrack last year:
http://www.lensaloft.com.au/Interactive_tour/AustralianGP/AustralianGrandPrix.html

Pretty neat if you want to look around the main straight area.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

No doubt. But ensuring SOME limitations (particularly on the most expensive component - the power unit) at least ensures that there's at least some money left over for the teams to develop and pay their staff and whatnot. Sure some teams are going to have more money from other sources, or factory support, or better sponsors, or richer backers, or whatever. They'll have more money and they'll still win, but the idea is to try to keep grids a little fuller, and perhaps with enough wiggle room in their left over money after the power unit is paid for to develop other things that might move them up (or possibly down) the grid.

there is a cap on customer engines, it's £12m

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Erm. What?

Even distribution of money and a spend cap would work everyone had customer engines, but for all the small team's bitching the engine manufacturers massively subsidise the sport. So ok Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes all get the same 50 million spend cap as the rest of the field. What do you think is going to power the car? Air? Why would all these teams even want to be in the sport if there are customer engines?

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 19, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

there is a cap on customer engines, it's £12m

Really? I have to admit I'm not up to date on engine costs and I'm getting progressively more drunk. I do recall that for coming in 10th place or something in the championship it was worth like $10 million bucks which doesn't even cover the cost of the engines and if you got lower than that, you got nothing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

engine homologation would be legit great for the sport

they can do some crazy poo poo there but they do need to make a triple digit of them every year

i literally just explained to you, in detail, why taking engines out of equation means losing manufacturer funding. how are you going to replace the funding, unless you're content with F1 being overtaken as the supposed pinnacle of motorsport?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Having a factory engine would ruin the sport. There are plenty of engine formulas. We want Ferrari Mercedes and everyone else to design a motor against each other. I would like the engine regulations opened like WEC where different fuels and turbo v na. Making the regs fair would be a bastard but it would be more fun to watch.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

be nice wicka posted:

i literally just explained to you, in detail, why taking engines out of equation means losing manufacturer funding. how are you going to replace the funding, unless you're content with F1 being overtaken as the supposed pinnacle of motorsport?

we'll only lose manufacturers who aren't in for the sport

also, F1 will still remain the pinnacle because the rest of 4 wheeled motorsport is too busy either becoming boring spec serieses or have even dumber rulebooks than F1

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Honestly FIA should just apply wec rules to f1 already for cars and qualifying. Especially since that qualifying format is also really weird.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Triple A posted:

That's all of them.

They're in it for the advertising of their brand, development of their engineers, and (maybe) developing technologies which may at some point trickle down to their road products.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

also, F1 will still remain the pinnacle because the rest of 4 wheeled motorsport is too busy either becoming boring spec serieses or have even dumber rulebooks than F1

no one is in it for the sport except ferrari

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

darth cookie posted:

That's all of them.

They're in it for the advertising of their brand, development of their engineers, and (maybe) developing technologies which may at some point trickle down to their road products.

then good loving riddance to them, let people who actually give a gently caress about racing do their thing

btw, Ferrari would be nothing without F1

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

Really? I have to admit I'm not up to date on engine costs and I'm getting progressively more drunk. I do recall that for coming in 10th place or something in the championship it was worth like $10 million bucks which doesn't even cover the cost of the engines and if you got lower than that, you got nothing.

sauber made the least prize money in 2015, just under $47m, or £32m.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice of everyone who wasn't around for all the endless debates about this in the off season to join us.

If you want F1 to be more like X then you should probably go watch X. F1 is 90% politics with 10% racing. They do not have the money they used to back in the glory tobacco days when a small rotation of teams would win 4 championships in a row, the sport is only able to survive today because 4 engine manufacturers are prepared to use it as a research and advertising platform. These manufacturers spend billions on these engines and only charge £12 million per team a year. What the ever loving gently caress more do you want from them?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

F1 Karting Series

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
They want a loving spec series. Or they want Mercedes to get an arbitrary penalty.

In fact what they want is a series where some loving nobody in a lovely privateer team can compete with the big boys in dicing racing full of overtaking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35850766
They are looking at scrapping that poo poo show we saw this morning.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Triple A posted:

then good loving riddance to them, let people who actually give a gently caress about racing do their thing

There wouldn't be any because there'd be no engines.

quote:

btw, Ferrari would be nothing without F1

Maybe? They sure do love to draw comparisons between their road cars and their F1 technology, but their most expensive and valuable cars are all classics from a time when their cars had even less in common with the cars they make now. If Ferrari went back to making achingly beautiful sports cars and dropped all the F1 poo poo I would probably cry actual rainbow coloured tears of joy. To be honest, Ferrari is such a well known and far reaching brand that they probably don't even need the F1 connection to continue to succeed. If they wanted to continue with racing, they could always drop into WEC or build a spec series in the same way that Porsche has their various Carrera Cup series.

be nice wicka posted:

sauber made the least prize money in 2015, just under $47m, or £32m.

Well there you go, I stand corrected. The pricing structure must have changed, because I do recall the big deal about Manor stealing 10th from Caterham a couple of years back and them getting 10 million or so for it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't really care about Joe Privateer rocking up and doing well, but it'd be nice to have something other than ten years of "congrats, team that interpreted the rules in this one certain way, you will destroy everyone and be champions".

Although my solution to this has been to stop watching, so I guess I'm the real winner of F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Nice of everyone who wasn't around for all the endless debates about this in the off season to join us.

If you want F1 to be more like X then you should probably go watch X. F1 is 90% politics with 10% racing. They do not have the money they used to back in the glory tobacco days when a small rotation of teams would win 4 championships in a row, the sport is only able to survive today because 4 engine manufacturers are prepared to use it as a research and advertising platform. These manufacturers spend billions on these engines and only charge £12 million per team a year. What the ever loving gently caress more do you want from them?

you guys remember the aaron carter song about him beating shaq in a game of one-on-one, then he wakes up and it turns out it was all a dream, but if it was a dream, and this wasn't real, how'd he get that jersey with the name o'neal? that's what learnincurve is going to feel like when she wakes up tomorrow and reads this goodpost

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even just the last 10 years, F1 went from having manufacturers all up and down the grid, to having almost no manufacturers up and down the grid (post-recession), to having it be manufacturer-dominated again. This is not ancient history going back to the Cosworth DFV vs. Ferrari, this is the last decade. The sport does not depend on manufacturers. The current structure of the sport does, but Formula One, as a concept, does not. It won't die if they leave, it will just be different.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What Ferrari wants is a series where lots of people watch but they win it all.
What Red Bull wants is a series where lots of people watch but they win it all.
What Mclaren wants is a series where lots of people watch but they win it all.
What Williams wants is a series where lots of people watch but they win it all.
etc etc

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Even just the last 10 years, F1 went from having manufacturers all up and down the grid, to having almost no manufacturers up and down the grid (post-recession), to having it be manufacturer-dominated again. This is not ancient history going back to the Cosworth DFV vs. Ferrari, this is the last decade. The sport does not depend on manufacturers. The current structure of the sport does, but Formula One, as a concept, does not. It won't die if they leave, it will just be different.

which ignores the fact that Things Change

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
F1 is the pinnacle of terrible ideas. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised this latest "improvement" is a disaster.

Also, a true F1 fan will always be angry with the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

which ignores the fact that Things Change

This is exactly my point. poo poo changes so often that it is complete foolishness to declare that this time when the bubble pops and the big money car makers leave the sport that it will be the death of Formula One.

• Locked thread