Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not entirely confident that would have saved his life.

Depends on what caused him to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Jabor posted:

I didn't know hardhats protect from gravity...

Any kind of work on the outside of tall buildings creeps the poo poo out of me. An acquaintance of mine was working as a windows cleaner about 15 years ago, and he still has a huuuge scar on one of his arms from when he got bashed against the side of a building like 40 stories up and thrown through a window.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Colonel Cancer posted:

They definitely work to prevent you hitting your head on something and staggering away from it, and those sort of head hits are what they're protecting you from on most worksites.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

mobby_6kl posted:

An electrician has died after falling 53 storeys from a construction site in Los Angeles.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35839635

At least it wasn't his last day. And wear your hardhats, people!

I heard about this on the radio on the way to work this morning. They're saying that he didn't actually land on the vehicle, but it looked like it from all the splatter and the loud sound. :gonk: There's also some conjecture that it was suicide.

Can someone in the biz explain about the part where he was not supposed to be above the third floor? What does that mean?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Any kind of work on the outside of tall buildings creeps the poo poo out of me. An acquaintance of mine was working as a windows cleaner about 15 years ago, and he still has a huuuge scar on one of his arms from when he got bashed against the side of a building like 40 stories up and thrown through a window.

Even inside them at low level can be dicey. A friend of mine was working as a labourer on a high-rise building site, sweeping up on the 40-somethingth floor. All the lift shafts were blocked off, obviously, but he thought he'd save himself a shitload of time by moving the barrier out of the way and just sweeping the debris down the lift shaft rather than picking it up and putting it in the bin.

A fine idea, until someone was working at the bottom of the shaft, and a bolt smacked him on the head at terminal velocity. The hard-hat at least did its job there, so my friend only got sacked rather than prosecuted for manslaughter.

On that same site when they were fitting the windows, one of the frames popped out as they fitted it on the 50th floor, somehow had enough lift to drift a good hundred feet sideways on it's way down, and drat near cut a (thankfully empty, parked) car in half. That was when they found out the glazier was just using shower sealant to hold in the massive, heavy frames while they were bolted in because it was cheaper than whatever stuff they were supposed to be using. There are dozens of buildings gone up around my house in the last few years and I have to wonder how many of them have got standards that high...

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Karma Monkey posted:

Can someone in the biz explain about the part where he was not supposed to be above the third floor? What does that mean?

I'd guess whatever work he was doing was located in the first floors and he had no reason to be at that floor.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Pingiivi posted:

I'd guess whatever work he was doing was located in the first floors and he had no reason to be at that floor.

I guess the DJs were reading more into it. They said something about workers having to be certified to work at certain heights, but I didn't know anything about that, so wasn't sure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

somehow had enough lift to drift a good hundred feet sideways on it's way down

One morning a few years ago I was rudely awakened by the sound of loud shattering glass right next to my head. Someone working on the roof had thrown a metal panel down into the back yard, but it had turned itself into a frisbee and curved back around to hit my bedroom window. Luckily it only broke the outer pane.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A fine idea, until someone was working at the bottom of the shaft, and a bolt smacked him on the head at terminal velocity. The hard-hat at least did its job there, so my friend only got sacked rather than prosecuted for manslaughter.

I seriously doubt it would have killed him.

It's hard to say without knowing the size, but if it was a bolt small enough to be swept up, it couldn't have been that heavy, and likely a fairly low terminal velocity.

Just using some estimates (1 cm x 5 cm bolt, density of 7.6 g/cm3, drag coefficient of 0.3) the terminal velocity would only be about 2 m/s. Even bringing the drag coefficient to 0.1 still only brings it to 3 m/s.
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal

It would certainly hurt getting hit with almost 1/4 pound of steel going at ~6 MPH, and I assume cut the scalp open, but hardly anything close to what it would take to kill a man.

Unless we're taking a bolt like one of these suckers:

But again, a little tricky to just sweep that bolt down an elevator shaft.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Jabor posted:

This is, unironically, a drat good post.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Red Suit posted:

Today a plant supervisor bypassed a safety feature in an electrical box by passing a current through it with a paper clip.

Also I guy claiming to be plumber open a 125psi valve and the sound repurted his loving ear drum.

Using a paperclip to bypass safety features can only end well

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's hard to say without knowing the size, but if it was a bolt small enough to be swept up, it couldn't have been that heavy, and likely a fairly low terminal velocity.

Just using some estimates (1 cm x 5 cm bolt, density of 7.6 g/cm3, drag coefficient of 0.3) the terminal velocity would only be about 2 m/s. Even bringing the drag coefficient to 0.1 still only brings it to 3 m/s.

It would certainly hurt getting hit with almost 1/4 pound of steel going at ~6 MPH, and I assume cut the scalp open, but hardly anything close to what it would take to kill a man.

I wouldn't put it past the laziness of my mate to sweep something like that down there though. But still, a good point and thanks for taking the time to do the maths.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Eh, just a black bear. Assuming it's not a mother with cubs nearby, you're fine. They're giant scaredy-cats.

Although that being said, I was attacked by a black bear once while camping, so...yeah.

But to be fair, it was was brown-colored black bear, so maybe he just got himself confused as to what kind of bear he was?

Edit: V V V Yeah, now that I think about it and don't just blindly write down a number, 6 MPH does seem kind of slow for a falling piece of metal. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 18, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

That terminal velocity calculator seems wildly inaccurate. Intuitively - which I agree is a bad guide - a falling lump of metal like a bolt or a bullet is going to have a terminal velocity well above 6 miles per hour. I think the problem lies with a centimetre / metre conversion error.

I found a bolt and put it on our lab mass balance, 3.42g for a 1.5" #8 stainless steel bolt. I dunno what got swept down that shaft, but this bolt is plausibly (to me) something that would be kicking around a construction site and would be easy enough to push around with a broom. It's not very big, but for simplicity I'll assume an average frontal area of 1 cm2 as it tumbles down the shaft and a drag coefficient of 2 from this table. I used 7.7 g cm-3 for density (I googled "density of stainless steel") and 981 cm s-2 for gravity - that's where the cm-m error creeps in, I think.

I end up with about 20m s-1, or about 70km/h or 45mph. That seems like fast enough to cause significant injury.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think even a penny has a terminal velocity in the 30 to 50 MPH range.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
From Google:

In open air, with no real updraft or breeze, a penny's terminal velocity is going to be around 30-50 miles per hour. If there is a good wind, even without an updraft, that's going to drop significantly. You can even test this near your home because a penny will reach its terminal velocity in only about 50 feet.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I end up with about 20m s-1
The problem is, kinetic energy matters.

Your 3.52 g bolt at 20 m/s has kinetic energy of 0.68 Joule.

A typical 9mm bullet with 7.5 g at 350 m/s has a kinetic energy of 460 Joule.

That bolt may leave some kind of welt, but it isn't gonna do poo poo.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

In a manner of speaking, it was his last day. :smith:
This legitimately made me laugh out loud. Definitely a correct assessment.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

MG2 posted:

From Google:

In open air, with no real updraft or breeze, a penny's terminal velocity is going to be around 30-50 miles per hour. If there is a good wind, even without an updraft, that's going to drop significantly. You can even test this near your home because a penny will reach its terminal velocity in only about 50 feet.

Thanks for the homelessness erasure google.....not everyone has a home...much less a 50 foot tall home. :sigh:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://loweringthebar.net/2016/03/has-your-boss-ever.html

quote:

Mr. Bailey’s position, however, was that he did not expect to be fired, and that it was unfair to fire him, for complaining about what Mr. English referred to as “pranks” but the ALJ referred to as, for example, “defecating into co-workers’ lunches.”

quote:

English apparently would indeed build bombs on company time from lengths of four-inch PVC pipe that he pumped full of acetylene gas and wired to a battery charger. He would then plant the pipe bomb in an appropriate spot and detonate it when co-workers drove by.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oh man, i guess that one will become a recurring guest.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

calvus posted:

Using a paperclip to bypass safety features can only end well

I've had to do that to my seat sensor on my drill because my seat froze and you can't tram the drill or even lift the head/foot if someone is on the seat (you shouldn't be seated on the drill if it isn't set up in position). It was -25C out (this was 2 years ago in feb, loving cold) so good luck getting the seat that is completely open to the outside to unfreeze so we can float it back to the yard. I made sure to fix it once we had it chained down, and got vermeer out to change the sensor as soon as he could.

I know one of the other drill crews with one of the smaller drills can actually drive the drill with the two joysticks (they only move forwards and back, one is for thrust the other is rotation) if they disconnect the seat sensor. They can do this because the drill has three hydraulic pumps, 2 main and 1 auxiliary. The 2 main pumps control the thrust and rotation respectively, and if you are tramming the drill (so no pressure on the seat) these pumps will drive the tracks. The drill is tiny so its like driving a go kart (so I hear).

I'm trying to provide a picture of the smaller drill but imgur is being stupid (google: "vermeer 9x13" if you want a scale)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MG2 posted:

From Google:

Why would I want to potentially kill someone near my home you psycho?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Decrepus posted:

Why would I want to potentially kill someone near my home you psycho?

loitering is loving annoying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe a bird took a really huge poo poo on his head and it surprised him and he lost his balance, whereas with a hard hat he wouldn't have even noticed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

The problem is, kinetic energy matters.

Your 3.52 g bolt at 20 m/s has kinetic energy of 0.68 Joule.

A typical 9mm bullet with 7.5 g at 350 m/s has a kinetic energy of 460 Joule.

That bolt may leave some kind of welt, but it isn't gonna do poo poo.

IIRC paintball guns are around 1J, and those things loving hurt but yeah, are unlikely to cause serious injury.

Also the things I do for this thread, I've hit the guy up on Facebook to find out roughly what size this bolt was because I'm really not sure what sort of bolts would even be on an unfinished high-rise floor.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The maximum energy of a paintball is about 12 J.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, 1 joule is the energy of a relatively low-velocity airsoft gun (like firing a 0.20 gram BB at less than 300 FPS). However, the difference in raw energy still doesn't necessarily mean that being hit by a paintball is more damaging. The larger surface area of the paintball and tendency to break apart on impact deprives it of a lot of potential damage, which is why you come out with welts and bruises but nothing else. On the other hand, airsoft BBs are very small projectiles typically fired at a much higher velocity than paintball guns and rarely break even upon hitting a hard surface, so they love to open up bloody holes in skin or even get stuck at close range.

kanuck
Aug 27, 2004

I must remember to follow my own advice.

DrBouvenstein posted:

You confused medium density (density of the air) with the density of the bolt. Terminal velocity is much higher than 2m/s.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kanuck posted:

You confused medium density (density of the air) with the density of the bolt. Terminal velocity is much higher than 2m/s.

not gonna lie i love the technical :science: nerdboner derails.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

OSHA: Whats the terminal velocity of an unladen bolt down an elevator shaft?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sylink posted:

Metric or ANSI?

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

SneakyFrog posted:

loitering is loving annoying.

You must not live in a major city

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

calvus posted:

You must not live in a major city

id prefer not to yes.

kinda insular.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sylink posted:

Platystemon posted:

Metric or ANSI?

I don't know that!

* Is saved from falling into the Gorge of Eternal Peril by a properly-worn safety harness *

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Metric or ANSI?

Whitworth :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/lG3fqdk.gifv

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

Well it turns out it wasn't actually, technically, a bolt but a thing they use for joining rebar together - one of these:

He said it was about six inches long and an inch thick and googling around gives it a weight around a kilo. Mind you he also swears blind he never swept anything like that down the shaft, and he might have a point in that a) there's no reason something like that would have been on the floor he was on, two or three floors down from where they were actually pouring concrete and b) something that big is unlikely to have just bounced off a hard hat.

The foreman was waving one of them around when he threw him off the site, though, and ultimately building site labourer is as close to at-will employment as we get in the UK so there'd have been no reason at all for him to make poo poo up to get rid of my mate if he just didn't like his face, which is my mate's theory.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

What's the story here? Was the fish driving drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
working at a saudi wedding is pretty osha i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfSJpHaD9Lg