Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Tenderizing marinades do work, as long as they are acidic. I tend to only marinade things that are cut in tiny pieces so the marinade has a larger impact though. Otherwise generally a sauce serves better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rurutia posted:

Tenderizing marinades do work, as long as they are acidic. I tend to only marinade things that are cut in tiny pieces so the marinade has a larger impact though. Otherwise generally a sauce serves better.

Pretty much ditto this. Marinade for chunks, sauce for a full piece.

My dad used to play around with injection and it was pretty good, he'd squeeze a little cajun butter or something into a few spots inside a chicken breast or something. Worked rather well, especially with pork chops.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Pretty much ditto this. Marinade for chunks, sauce for a full piece.

My dad used to play around with injection and it was pretty good, he'd squeeze a little cajun butter or something into a few spots inside a chicken breast or something. Worked rather well, especially with pork chops.

I did some mild Cajun spice injection into a couple turkeys I deep fried for Christmas and thanksgiving. I found that it lent some flavor to the surrounding meat, but the crust still carried most of the flavor.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tots posted:

That's my very very underdeveloped understanding as well, but I feel like I must be missing something. Is marinating and rubbing meats overnight really that ingrained in "that's how we've always done it" that it's almost completely ubiquitous? Maybe I just need to do my own mini food lab.
If you're applying a rub or marinade to meat that's going to be cooked, the following will be true as a general rule: the only thing that's going to be transported to any meaningful degree, flavourwise, is salt; and the overwhelming majority of the transport is going to happen during the cook, not during the brining, the wait after the application of the rub, or the marinating.

If you're brining you'll probably also be introducing water into the meat.

If you're curing the meat it's a little different because of the different temperatures and timeframes, but it remains what is basically a straightforward diffusion problem, with the rate of diffusion being (nonlinearly) directly variable with temperature and the depth of diffusion being (nonlinearly) directly variable with time.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I did some mild Cajun spice injection into a couple turkeys I deep fried for Christmas and thanksgiving. I found that it lent some flavor to the surrounding meat, but the crust still carried most of the flavor.

There's a roast lamb recipe where you make a few 1" deep stab cuts at various points into the meat, and then insert sprigs of rosemary and little slices of chopped garlic wrapped in anchovies into each hole. I did it a few months back, and the flavors had nicely penetrated the whole roast. In fact on my first test it worked so well that I had a pound of fish flavored lamb shoulder that was actually a bit gross, so I had to cut back when doing properly for my family.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SubG posted:

If you're applying a rub or marinade to meat that's going to be cooked, the following will be true as a general rule: the only thing that's going to be transported to any meaningful degree, flavourwise, is salt; and the overwhelming majority of the transport is going to happen during the cook, not during the brining, the wait after the application of the rub, or the marinating.

If you're brining you'll probably also be introducing water into the meat.

If you're curing the meat it's a little different because of the different temperatures and timeframes, but it remains what is basically a straightforward diffusion problem, with the rate of diffusion being (nonlinearly) directly variable with temperature and the depth of diffusion being (nonlinearly) directly variable with time.

Is an overnight dry rub not worth doing before slow-roasting a pork shoulder? (I assume skipping the dry rub entirely is a bad idea, just wondering if I need to do the "plan ahead the night before" thing.)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
this is obviously a vague-ish question, but I'm back in the office 9-5 again, and gently caress eating out daily. I tend to use my Sundays as a day to bulk cook stuff for the week, and I'm looking to add some more recipes to my list to bring in. So anything that reheats well, or can be prepped the night before would be great. Bonus if it's healthy-ish

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

this is obviously a vague-ish question, but I'm back in the office 9-5 again, and gently caress eating out daily. I tend to use my Sundays as a day to bulk cook stuff for the week, and I'm looking to add some more recipes to my list to bring in. So anything that reheats well, or can be prepped the night before would be great. Bonus if it's healthy-ish

Roast a chicken, cook a pot of lentils, make any stew, any chili, pot roast, corned beef and cabbage (for St paddy!), make a bunch of grilled chicken for wraps, cold chicken salad, tuna salad, pasta with a side salad.

Basically what I'm getting at is make your normal meal just do it times 5 or 6. This also may take some adjusting of what your normal meal is.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Oh yeah I got a whole bunch of normal meals I do on sundays like this, haha. I'm just throwing out a general question to see what others do, I guess. Like I said, way vague! I've not done lentils in ages though, so I might have to do that.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Oh yeah I got a whole bunch of normal meals I do on sundays like this, haha. I'm just throwing out a general question to see what others do, I guess. Like I said, way vague! I've not done lentils in ages though, so I might have to do that.

That's basically the past several things I've cooked. I also did like 4 lbs of bulgogi last week and that ruled. Just finished cooking a big pot of lentils and used the leftover fermented pepper paste from the bulgogi in it, came out p.good. :)

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Been reading a lot about mushrooms lately and I keep reading that types have a flavor that is only described as 'delicate' (like buttons, for example). Then I try the mushroom and don't really get it. What's a delicate flavor?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Been reading a lot about mushrooms lately and I keep reading that types have a flavor that is only described as 'delicate' (like buttons, for example). Then I try the mushroom and don't really get it. What's a delicate flavor?

This doesn't really mean anything and is totally subjective but if I were to categorize a button mushroom arbitrarily it would be subtle, distinct, and soft. Try making a stock/broth out of them and before adding anything else taste it and see if that brings it out for you at all.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

What's everyone's favorite food storage solution? Looking for variety in size and shape, microwavable, reusable, durable, and dish washer safe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tots posted:

What's everyone's favorite food storage solution? Looking for variety in size and shape, microwavable, reusable, durable, and dish washer safe.

16 and 32 ounce deli containers

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
The corned beef I got for St Patrick's was way too salty. It also ended up tough even though I had it in a slow cooker for over 8 hours due to work schedule. What do I do with the leftovers? Some sort of stew to pull the salt back out?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
What the heck is the spice portioning in this recipe? It looks so good but is thst just to taste or what.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About rice:

Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen did a test where they sous-vide'd a bunch of different rice types with 1:1 rice:water and found that they all cooked properly. Their claim is that rice just needs a 1:1 ratio and just requires sufficient water to make up for evaporation during cooking. (got it from this video)

I tested the theory out and it seemed to work pretty good. I boiled a test pot with no rice and a weighed amount of water for ~20 min. Then I measured the amount of water afterward and the difference is evaporation/20 min. Then I scaled that by the cooking time of my rice and added it as the extra water in the pot. It seemed to make pretty good rice! Of course it was just one pot so it might not work too well when scaling up/with different types of pots/rice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I usually cook basmati (by far my most used rice) using the pasta method, then drain and steam the grains in the residual heat to remove excess water. Sometimes I toss it in a tarka that I strained into the rice - that way, the rice has tons of flavor by itself, and the ghee prevents the grains from clumping up or becoming mushy.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I've recently started cooking (as in never before in my life have a cooked, so you should presume very little with me in terms of knowledge), and am using Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything: The Basics". I've made two recipes from it so far without any issue and they were great. I was trying to make lasagna today but, could never get my sauce to work.

The recipe summarized says to chop one medium sized onion, then add one pound of meat (I'm using ground beef), to a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and cook on medium high until it's brown. Then add 24oz of diced tomatoes to the frying pan, and stir occasionally, after around 5 minutes it should start to break down the tomatoes, and after 10-15 minutes the sauce should be thickened.

My sauce never thickened however, and further attempts at cooking it only eventually caused it to fry the meat. Anyone have any ideas what I could have been doing wrong before I try it again? Tomatoes and onions are cheap but ground beef is not, so I'd really like to avoid burning up another pound of meat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

jiffypop45 posted:

I've recently started cooking (as in never before in my life have a cooked, so you should presume very little with me in terms of knowledge), and am using Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything: The Basics". I've made two recipes from it so far without any issue and they were great. I was trying to make lasagna today but, could never get my sauce to work.

The recipe summarized says to chop one medium sized onion, then add one pound of meat (I'm using ground beef), to a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and cook on medium high until it's brown. Then add 24oz of diced tomatoes to the frying pan, and stir occasionally, after around 5 minutes it should start to break down the tomatoes, and after 10-15 minutes the sauce should be thickened.

My sauce never thickened however, and further attempts at cooking it only eventually caused it to fry the meat. Anyone have any ideas what I could have been doing wrong before I try it again? Tomatoes and onions are cheap but ground beef is not, so I'd really like to avoid burning up another pound of meat.

Ummm, you say "24oz of diced tomatoes" you did use canned ones I hope?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Yep!

I basically ended up with really bland chili which tastes okay (edit: actually that's a lie, I'm just forcing it down my throat as I can't bear to throw it in the disposal), it's just a bit of a waste of meat.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 20, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's hard to be sure, but if I were to guess I'd say that you used ground meat which has a lot of fat in it and you didn't drain the excess fat before adding the tomatoes. The molten fat sat in the sauce, making it look very runny, but when it cooled it hardened, which is why there's no sauce visible in the photo you posted. To fix it you'd either want to use leaner mince, or fry off the meat in a separate pan and drain off some (but not all) of the liquid that comes out of it before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.

Vorenus posted:

What the heck is the spice portioning in this recipe? It looks so good but is thst just to taste or what.

From the photo, I'd guess 1.5 teaspoons of oregano and the same for dried parsley, with salt and pepper to taste.

Also, to all you guys making meat and tomato mince sauce, this is the best bolognese recipe I've ever tasted:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1502640/the-best-spaghetti-bolognese

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gerblyn posted:

It's hard to be sure, but if I were to guess I'd say that you used ground meat which has a lot of fat in it and you didn't drain the excess fat before adding the tomatoes. The molten fat sat in the sauce, making it look very runny, but when it cooled it hardened, which is why there's no sauce visible in the photo you posted. To fix it you'd either want to use leaner mince, or fry off the meat in a separate pan and drain off some (but not all) of the liquid that comes out of it before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.

From the photo, I'd guess 1.5 teaspoons of oregano and the same for dried parsley, with salt and pepper to taste.

Also, to all you guys making meat and tomato mince sauce, this is the best bolognese recipe I've ever tasted:

That's pretty much how I do it, the carrot and celery at the start really make a difference over just having onion and garlic as your base ingredients

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In my opinion the mirepoix is crucial to get a good bolognese, can't imagine one without.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tots posted:

I save all the yogurt containers I get to freeze stock in. Save all the plastic takeout containers I get to freeze / cold store small batches of stuff. I bought a set of glass storage containers with rubber seals and snap clamp lids from Costco and use that for stuff I need to transport / lunch containers that I don't want spilling into my bag.

Apart from that I bought a couple of big pyrex rectangular dishes (12"x18" or so) with soft rubber lids and use those to store larger batches of cooked food in the fridge.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wish me luck.
I'm about to throw a 12 Lb rib roast in the oven @ 170F for a reverse sear with a 7pm-ish service time.

Bucket of SV water @185 ready for carrots and brussel sprouts, to be pan roasted with the meat at the 500F sear stage.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

jiffypop45 posted:

Yep!

I basically ended up with really bland chili which tastes okay (edit: actually that's a lie, I'm just forcing it down my throat as I can't bear to throw it in the disposal), it's just a bit of a waste of meat.

I find diced tomatoes like that often won't breakdown and form a good sauce. I generally get better results using whole peeled canned tomatoes and crushing by hand before adding to the pot. Alternately, you can use puree, but the flavor and texture is not as nice.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Also, I'll get a pink/orange sauce if I use anything other than San Marzano tomatoes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use supermarket value own brand chopped tinned tomatoes all the time, and they work just fine. There comes a point when a tomato has been cooked, chopped up and tinned that it stops mattering if it's an heirloom San Marzano canned by artisans on the south face of Etna...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had always heard that diced tomatoes have stuff in them to stop the dice from turning to mush and that was the reason to use whole tomatoes.

I doubt the brand / provenance matters as long as you're not getting something terrible.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
But pink sauce........

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

I had always heard that diced tomatoes have stuff in them to stop the dice from turning to mush and that was the reason to use whole tomatoes.

Probably calcium (sort of a universal food firmer) but that's not actually a bad thing as far as food additives go

I've had done a side by side between canned Kroger supermarket plum and canned San Marzanos. The San Marzanos had more of a spicy note and the Kroger's had more water, but still good enough that the final product was fine.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Thanks a ton!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Probably calcium (sort of a universal food firmer) but that's not actually a bad thing as far as food additives go

I didn't mean it was bad from a maniac toxin standpoint, but that the calcium can cause the texture of the sauce to be weird compared to whole tomatoes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, this comes up occasionally. IIRC it's calcium chloride. To be honest if you are using canned tomatoes for a sauce I'd suggest just using crushed tomatoes if you don't want to use whole ones and crush them yourself.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I make tomato sauce I use whole canned tomatoes and I let them simmer whole for an hour or two before crushing them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I should find my mom's bolognese recipe. It's fantastic comfort food. We call it 'Candy Sauce', because she learned it from a cook at 4H camp named Candy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eeyo posted:

Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen did a test where they sous-vide'd a bunch of different rice types with 1:1 rice:water and found that they all cooked properly. Their claim is that rice just needs a 1:1 ratio and just requires sufficient water to make up for evaporation during cooking. (got it from this video)

My sushi rice does not cook properly (when entirely covered) at 1:1, it needs 1:1.25 rice:water or it's a little crunchy. I'm more or less at sea level.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the best way to chop carrot sticks? It takes me maybe 20 minutes to peel and chop a quart bag of them, and I can eat a pint in a sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

baquerd posted:

My sushi rice does not cook properly (when entirely covered) at 1:1, it needs 1:1.25 rice:water or it's a little crunchy. I'm more or less at sea level.

What do you mean entirely covered? Like sous-vide? Even a super-tight lid won't really be that effective. They may also be very wrong, I haven't repeated their tests.