Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Give us Transfarring for Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Give us Transfarring for Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo.

Amiibos

They just don't work for these specific games because the 3DS is balanced differently

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I can't wait to play this horrible and wonderful game all over again.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Oxyclean posted:

Am I missing something or did you miss the fact you can buy all the 3DS exclusive characters and weapons for the Wii U as DLC without buying the 3DS version? The stuff that comes exclusive to the launch version of 3DS is it's own DLC bundle for Wii U, with the Legends season pass having a separate pricing for the Wii U to make up for the fact it doesn't have the maps.

Sucks that there's no character swapping or maps, but I guess they want something to set the versions apart / entice people into buying the 3DS version?

What is the point of new characters if there's no content to use them in? Oh boy, I can use these level one characters to do all these challenges I either already did or can't get any A Rank prizes for them in. Can't wait to level these irrelevant characters instead of the ones you actually unlock stuff with/for.

I'm not that upset because I got my fill of Hyrule Warriors but this whole Wii U/3DS game/DLC situation is blatant money grubbing and anti-consumer. Even if you never played the game before you're now stuck playing the version that's way uglier and runs way worse if you want all the content.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

King Crab posted:

Me too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

What is the point of new characters if there's no content to use them in? Oh boy, I can use these level one characters to do all these challenges I either already did or can't get any A Rank prizes for them in. Can't wait to level these irrelevant characters instead of the ones you actually unlock stuff with/for.

I'm not that upset because I got my fill of Hyrule Warriors but this whole Wii U/3DS game/DLC situation is blatant money grubbing and anti-consumer. Even if you never played the game before you're now stuck playing the version that's way uglier and runs way worse if you want all the content.

Traditionally, all *Warriors games that had a "Legends" expansion were sold as separate expansion discs. Completely separate from the original title. The only exception I can think of was Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends on the Xbox 360. Basically, yes I'm agreeing with you but I'm also saying that there's precedence for this.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Folt The Bolt posted:

My guess is that the character swapping in Legends was made reality by the fact that 1. The 3DS has 2 screens.

The WiiU has 2 screens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TechnoSyndrome posted:

but this whole Wii U/3DS game/DLC situation is blatant money grubbing and anti-consumer. Even if you never played the game before you're now stuck playing the version that's way uglier and runs way worse if you want all the content.

Riiiiight. A different version of the game on different hardware with different styles of gameplay and different content is "anti-consumer". Uh huh, shame on Nintendo for releasing new games instead of just patching old games forever.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Wamdoodle posted:

Traditionally, all *Warriors games that had a "Legends" expansion were sold as separate expansion discs. Completely separate from the original title. The only exception I can think of was Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends on the Xbox 360. Basically, yes I'm agreeing with you but I'm also saying that there's precedence for this.

Had no idea this was a tradition, maybe Tecmo Koei is more to blame than Nintendo then. I would assume in those other situations though it was at least on equivalent hardware. If this was like a rerelease on the Wii U I could just trade in my copy for credit towards the new one, I really have no interest in playing a game this long on a 3DS though or with the visual downgrade.

jivjov posted:

Riiiiight. A different version of the game on different hardware with different styles of gameplay and different content is "anti-consumer". Uh huh, shame on Nintendo for releasing new games instead of just patching old games forever.

lmao are you seriously trying to argue that rehashing the same game with a little bit of new content is worth the price of a full new game? They didn't totally change the gameplay dude they put in a loving hotswap between characters. That's so much better than just paying $10 for a second season pass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Had no idea this was a tradition, maybe Tecmo Koei is more to blame than Nintendo then. I would assume in those other situations though it was at least on equivalent hardware. If this was like a rerelease on the Wii U I could just trade in my copy for credit towards the new one, I really have no interest in playing a game this long on a 3DS though or with the visual downgrade.

lmao are you seriously trying to argue that rehashing the same game with a little bit of new content is worth the price of a full new game? They didn't totally change the gameplay dude they put in a loving hotswap between characters. That's so much better than just paying $10 for a second season pass.

They put it out on a different system with new mechanics and characters for $20 less, with the primary draw being that it is portable. It's not the first OR the last game to do that. It's better than the Plus versions of the Atelier games (also by Koei-Tecmo) in fact.

Like I'm sorry if that isn't a thing for you but having a portable version of a game is a selling point to people and they're back-porting the additional characters and items to the previous version which is actually pretty uncommon for this sort of thing.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

King Crab posted:

same. having a portable version i can play any time is going to be great for the adventure maps

gonna make my fairy so drat pretty

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I sort of wish that they'd do a legends style expansion for Hyrule Warriors where I can conquest china

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do we know if the 3DS exclusive adventure maps will also have new stages too?

Hopefully they could throw us the Wind Waker stage on Wii U too since it looks fantastic.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 18, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm kinda surprised Tecmo Koei isn't going this way with this particular content as well. Hard to say who exactly made the call though. Personally I feel it's probably more on Nintendo because Tecmo Koei have shown they give no fucks about releasing expansions as separate discs. KT have at least had the decency to release them as cheaper priced since the expansions didn't contain the whole game, just the extra content. Of course in this case, the game has all new mechanics with the character switching and all that. It's likely we'll never know full well exactly why Hyrule Warriors Legends is releasing this way.

Here's a wiki of the first "Xtreme Legends" release for Dynasty Warriors 3 in case anyone wants to read more about what I'm talking about.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_3%3A_Xtreme_Legends

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:shopkeeper:

It'll be hilarious if that's who gets in

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do we know if the 3DS exclusive adventure maps will also have new stages too?

Hopefully they could throw us the Wind Waker stage on Wii U too since it looks fantastic.

It's likely that the new Adventure Maps will use the stages introduced in Legends... which is one reason why the Wii U version is not getting these maps.

Hell, any content from Legends that wasn't characters or weapons was kind of doomed from the start.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How many new stages did Legends get?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How many new stages did Legends get?

Two. However, it also included variations of old stages set at a different time or after some major event. (Valley of Seers when you're Ganondorf now has it set during clear daylight, with Cia's corruption cleared from the place, and I think Temple of Souls has a variation where all of the pictures are blank.) However, what really stopped the Legends Mode scenarios from coming over (besides the two new stages) was the usage of characters like Twili Midna and Skull Kid, as well as Helmaroc King and Phantom Ganon, and also giving them unique materials of their own.

The newly announced Adventure Maps would need to be edited to cut out the Legends content that couldn't recycle stuff that's already in the game, and change the missions that took advantage of the gameplay mechanics introduced in Legends, if they were to make it into the Wii U version, and since they were made with Legends in mind, that didn't happen. Playable characters and weapon types for excisting characters was the most plausible thing they could convert to the Wii U version.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm kinda surprised Tecmo Koei isn't going this way with this particular content as well. Hard to say who exactly made the call though. Personally I feel it's probably more on Nintendo because Tecmo Koei have shown they give no fucks about releasing expansions as separate discs. KT have at least had the decency to release them as cheaper priced since the expansions didn't contain the whole game, just the extra content. Of course in this case, the game has all new mechanics with the character switching and all that. It's likely we'll never know full well exactly why Hyrule Warriors Legends is releasing this way.

Here's a wiki of the first "Xtreme Legends" release for Dynasty Warriors 3 in case anyone wants to read more about what I'm talking about.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_3%3A_Xtreme_Legends

Is the Capcom lawsuit still going on? That was the reason we got Samurai Warriors 4-II instead of Samurai Warriors 4 XL.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So is most of legends the exact same content-wise, just with the new gameplay changes and some variations in the map and an extra story mode?

What about multiplayer? Does it have co-op or any online stuff?

What does the fairy stuff do?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

So is most of legends the exact same content-wise, just with the new gameplay changes and some variations in the map and an extra story mode?

What about multiplayer? Does it have co-op or any online stuff?

What does the fairy stuff do?

Define "content", because Helmaroc King and Phantom Ganon alone... and the Forsaken Fortress and Wind & Earth Temple stages, and the new characters dropping unique materials, and the Wind Waker Adventure Map, and My Fairy, kind of makes the games different content-wise anyway.

There's no multiplayer or co-op, though that could be because of the character switching mechanic. You can now bring up to four characters onto the battlefield at once and switch between them which, given that you're likely not gonna find three people with 3DSes to play co-op with, is pretty nice.

Network Links have been redone into "Streetpass" Links.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I say content I mean the legend mode and the adventure modes in the vanilla game and vanilla game's DLC

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The fairies work kinda like PSO mags or something - you feed them drop items and equip different clothes to increase their attributes and hopefully get the buff/skill you want, then you just fill a little meter during battle and press a button to activate it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

When I say content I mean the legend mode and the adventure modes in the vanilla game and vanilla game's DLC

3DS version gets the Linkle stories and Wind Waker Epilogue, and also the Wind Waker Adventure Map in addition to having all of the other Wii U scenarios and Adventure Maps (including the DLC scenarios/Adventure Maps). However, some things in the previous scenarios/Adventure Maps are reworked to take advantage of the mechanics introduced in Legends (like character switching), so new missions done specifically to get you to switch characters to get things done faster and the like appear and so on, and the Adventure Maps are rebalanced to the lower level caps (I've heard that this makes the Twilight Princess Adventure Map actually fun).

The Wii U DLC characters are also integrated into the maps/story scenarios as "proper" characters. That means Twili Midna, Tingle, and Young Link must now earn their weapons and heart containers like everyone else in the base game, and some rewards have been shifted (so higher level weapons are now found in the latter Adventure Maps instead of on the original Adventure Maps and so on).

tl;dr: Content-wise, you get extra story mode scenarios and all of the Adventure Mode maps + one more, but there's been quite a bit of changes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok, with that I think I'm fine with skipping the 3DS release since I don't really wanna end up redoing a bunch of the content, even if the game mechanics have been changed. No co-op is a big loss for me too since while I enjoy playing it solo, I greatly enjoy playing hyrule warriors co-op. I think I'll just wait for a hyrule warriors 2 that isn't just hyrule warriors with some (admittedly cool looking) extra content and some gameplay changes

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9XxJAY1DI

So apparently the Toon Link and Sheik amiibo give weapons for each of those characters now instead of for Link and Zelda?

Looking up the price of them... eugh. Apparently they're both pretty rare now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WilliamAnderson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9XxJAY1DI

So apparently the Toon Link and Sheik amiibo give weapons for each of those characters now instead of for Link and Zelda?

Looking up the price of them... eugh. Apparently they're both pretty rare now?

Sheik always gave a Harp weapon. But Toon Link was considered the same as Link until now (because Toon Link wasn't a separate character before)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Should also be noted that the Wolf Link amiibo apparently gives Midna weapons (imp Midna) in Legends, but give regular bonuses in vanilla HW (unless the upcoming update changes that).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ImpAtom posted:

They put it out on a different system with new mechanics and characters for $20 less, with the primary draw being that it is portable. It's not the first OR the last game to do that. It's better than the Plus versions of the Atelier games (also by Koei-Tecmo) in fact.

My biggest whine is that there's no save transfers.

Yeah it's really cool I spent like 3-400 hours playing this game so I can do the exact same poo poo on a handheld device.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

Yeah it's really cool I spent like 3-400 hours playing this game so I can do the exact same poo poo on a handheld device.

That's pretty much what kills it for me too. Tho maybe they'll release a save transfer app later on, who knows.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

That's pretty much what kills it for me too. Tho maybe they'll release a save transfer app later on, who knows.

They won't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

It's not "the exact same poo poo" though...I really think the flow of gameplay is going to be completely different when you're hopping around as multiple characters.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Even the returning adventure maps are going to have different rewards and materials so a 1:1 save transfer won't really work.

It would be nice if levels and weapons could be shared between the two, though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
genuinely stoked to replay the game again with character switching during my breaks at work

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

genuinely stoked to replay the game again with character switching during my breaks at work

Yeah, same! The character switching sounds like a really cool mechanic and might have the same effect as playing with another person! I still haven't decided whether to get Legends as physical or digital though. On the one hand, sometimes I wish I'd gotten HW digital, with how long I ended up playing it. On the other hand, my SD card is already stuffed to the gills. :(

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hyrule Warriors Legends in general have been given stuff that makes it more suited to on-the-go play. We have the My Fairy feature which, when properly built, can be quite the nuke and crutch for players, while there's also owl statues to ensure a character doesn't need to backtrack over a long stretch to get to the action so long as they're activated. On top of that, all the characters introduced for, and before, Legends have been given things to do in every Adventure Map which, coupled with the game going back to the Lv. 99 cap, lowers the time you need to grind to an acceptable level for the challenges ahead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How does the character switching work, is it like all your characters are on the map and you swap between them so you can handle multiple fronts at once or do you just have a character come in and replace whoever you're currently playing as?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

How does the character switching work, is it like all your characters are on the map and you swap between them so you can handle multiple fronts at once or do you just have a character come in and replace whoever you're currently playing as?

The former.

You can also give orders to them like in Samurai Warriors Chronicles games so that they go do one thing while you're busy doing another thing (and then you can switch between them if you feel like taking more control over whatever it is you ordered them to do).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

jivjov posted:

It's not "the exact same poo poo" though...I really think the flow of gameplay is going to be completely different when you're hopping around as multiple characters.

I meant more like doing the same story parts, the same adventure mode maps, the same grinding.

I've lost all motivation to even play the game anymore since any effort on console is now wasted if I buy the handheld version, and if I play the handheld version then I have to re-do all the stuff I previously did on console. It'd be boring even if there are new features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

I've lost all motivation to even play the game anymore since any effort on console is now wasted if I buy the handheld version, and if I play the handheld version then I have to re-do all the stuff I previously did on console. It'd be boring even if there are new features.

How is your effort on the console version "wasted"? Buying the 3DS version doesn't wipe your save file on the Wii U, or take away the enjoyment you had playing the Wii U version.

and you don't have to re-do console stuff; the 3DS version is a different version of the game; new adventure mode maps, new characters, new story mode.

• Locked thread