Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll be free to help out on Saturday, but Sunday I might not be available until after 2. Something came up, I'll be busy 5 am to 1 pm barring any last minute changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I'll be free to help out on Saturday, but Sunday I might not be available until after 2. Something came up, I'll be busy 5 am to 1 pm barring any last minute changes.

Not a problem! Thanks for sticking around today!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McGavin posted:

That Chaffee bounced 360 damage. :qq:

Also you wouldn't be in high pressure situations if you just died first like I do. :smug:

I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow, then. :suicide:

Speaking of tomorrow, are we sticking to the Chaffee doctrine? As in "can I sell my O-I Exp?"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow, then. :suicide:

Speaking of tomorrow, are we sticking to the Chaffee doctrine? As in "can I sell my O-I Exp?"

Nope, it's city maps tomorrow, so O-I tiem.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Time to play CROWS EVERYWHERE Presents: "What's That Tank?" I am 95% sure this went over well last time I tried it.

What's that tank :eyepop:

I don't actually know what tank this is! The artist doesn't say! I am sure people here can try to guess what it is anyhow.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can someone get me some tips on where to drive my medium tanks? I'm getting really mad because I don't know where to drive and just either get hosed or be completely worthless.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Michaellaneous posted:

Can someone get me some tips on where to drive my medium tanks? I'm getting really mad because I don't know where to drive and just either get hosed or be completely worthless.
Depends on a lot of factors really. Team spreads, map, tier, ect.

More often than not you'll find yourself applying pressure to whatever flanks the heavies aren't stomping down. Either that, or waiting for your heavies to engage their heavies before you flank around start getting as many rear end shots as possible to split their attention.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Depends on a lot of factors really. Team spreads, map, tier, ect.

More often than not you'll find yourself applying pressure to whatever flanks the heavies aren't stomping down. Either that, or waiting for your heavies to engage their heavies before you flank around start getting as many rear end shots as possible to split their attention.

You are making it out to be easy. So should I generally not be in the first wave, hang back a bit and snipe before I move in?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Michaellaneous posted:

You are making it out to be easy. So should I generally not be in the first wave, hang back a bit and snipe before I move in?
Medium tanks are easy to play (but hard to master?) if only due to their versatility. You're not locked into any one specific role unless you're in an odd-ball medium like a Grant. Unless there are no heavies on the field and you're top tier, you'll want to play second wave as a direct support role in one fashion or another.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Medium tanks are easy to play (but hard to master?) if only due to their versatility. You're not locked into any one specific role unless you're in an odd-ball medium like a Grant. Unless there are no heavies on the field and you're top tier, you'll want to play second wave as a direct support role in one fashion or another.

Care to explain that terminology a bit more? Thanks.

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes. It is that easy. Its just hard to be patient to find the right place to go when you are pressured to do as much damage as possible to carry. Teammates melting also hurts. But just snipe, you can feint shots at your direction which keeps them spotted and lets your heavys not have to trade(and fail if they cant pen things). So fake poking is good to draw attention until something opens up. You really have to keep an eye on where everything is so you know if you can go around. Also, ram Scorpions all day.

McGavin posted:

That Chaffee bounced 360 damage. :qq:

Also you wouldn't be in high pressure situations if you just died first like I do. :smug:

Did you get that Leopard drop looked at? =)

http://wotreplays.com/site/2555897?secret=9496bcc5c4e8e40b422d7b8f1029b069

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Michaellaneous posted:

If there are no heavies, you are the heavy.

If there are heavies, and your heavies are out-numbered, you want to support your heavies by getting behind or beside the enemy heavies for shots of opportunity.

If there heavies and your heavies are okay, you want to work the other side of the map to apply equal pressure.

If there are a few TDs or none at all, you want to push the other side of the map as best you can.

If there are a noticeable amount of TDs, you want to cautiously work the other side of the map.

If the numbers begin to thin, you want to watch the map and BE PREPARED TO TURN AROUND TO DEFEND THE BASE.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What's that tank :eyepop:

Some kind of embellished T-34 monstrosity.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
That last one is really important. The arty and the guys camping in their base (probably) aren't going anywhere, and most cap circles are poorly defended kill zones that any tank with half decent view range (see: medium tanks) can spot with relative impunity from a bush or something. This is also why trying to push piecemeal into an enemy cap can end very, very poorly.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

say what medium tanks your struggleing with

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What's That Tank! Linked because it's :nws: for obvious fetish poo poo (no visible nipples or bits). Ignore the pregnant furry in the corner.

This tank-person is actually meant to be a recognisable real tank.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's an IS-2, friend

e: the tank in your foxy war criminal painting is a mishmash of a Conqueror-ish turret on a T-34-ish hull

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 19, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's an IS-2, friend

A genius! You are much better at ID-ing tanks than Skellybones, who is better at IDing tanks than I am. I award you one gold anthro tank trophy.

This last one is a charmingly incompetent MS Paint tank.

It's digitally signed and dated so that in 30 years when the artist is making millions off commissions, you can say you saved an ExplodingBaconeer original to your hard drive before he got big. What's That Tank?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thank you, I feel (dubiously) honored :grin:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A genius! You are much better at ID-ing tanks than Skellybones, who is better at IDing tanks than I am. I award you one gold anthro tank trophy.

This last one is a charmingly incompetent MS Paint tank.

It's digitally signed and dated so that in 30 years when the artist is making millions off commissions, you can say you saved an ExplodingBaconeer original to your hard drive before he got big. What's That Tank?

T1 or M6?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

It's an M4 Sherman, "One of the best tanks built in WW2"!

This last art is tagged only with "Panzer" and is entitled "FNAN vs Furies/Scalies". I am told FNAN is a Five Nights at Freddy's fangame. I can't tell what the gently caress is going on in this picture or any of the artist's other works, so I shall assume it depicts the Soviets and Nazis teaming up to defeat the Furry Menace.

When we work together, we can overcome all of our differences! :)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's an M4 Sherman, "One of the best tanks built in WW2"!

No it's not :colbert:

[quote="CROWS EVERYWHERE" post="457628523"
This last art is tagged only with "Panzer" and is entitled "FNAN vs Furies/Scalies". I am told FNAN is a Five Nights at Freddy's fangame. I can't tell what the gently caress is going on in this picture or any of the artist's other works, so I shall assume it depicts the Soviets and Nazis teaming up to defeat the Furry Menace.

When we work together, we can overcome all of our differences! :)
[/quote]

Looks like a Panther?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

No it's not :colbert:

Looks like a Panther?

I hope you are not casting aspersions on ExplodingBaconeer's artistic abilities! (It is very possible that he GISed "m4 sherman" and picked one of the many results that is not, actually, an M4 Sherman.)

Also, those green blobs above the Panther are meant to be the Northern Lights. The more you know.

Now I shall leave you, my friends! What tanks will be identified next? I have many tanks being crushed by a busty She Hulk's muscular thighs. But that is for another day. Good night!

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 19, 2016

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Derp Sherman is one of the best Tier V mediums at least.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 19, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh fetish tanks are back - can you post the "sexy" Panther lady one again? New posters shouldn't be spared the nightmares.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Darkrenown posted:

Oh fetish tanks are back - can you post the "sexy" Panther lady one again? New posters shouldn't be spared the nightmares.

I have a number of sexy tanks for all tastes

Tanks with square boobs

Big Beautiful Tanks

MS Paint curvy tanks with photorealistic gore

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Derp Sherman is one of the best Tier VI mediums at least.

No, I mean it's not a sherman.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

No, I mean it's not a sherman.

You must tell him his skills are lacking.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You must tell him his skills are lacking.

I'm angry.
Angry about tanks.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm angry.
Angry about tanks.

There is always more terrible MS Paint art, and it is always worse.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

Not to mention the Tier V Rammpanzer and its 870 HP.

what tank is this?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Descar posted:

what tank is this?

Apparently this one

http://console.worldoftanks.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/PzV_PzIV/

So they changed some of the stats of the PC Panzer V/IV and put it into Tier 5.... With the same hitpoints...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Vork - is your team still unlikely to show up for our match tonight, or are you just trying to get our hopes up before crushing our dreams? Because if we can skirt by you, even if we lose to the other OTTER team, we're clear to end the weekend with only one loss. Our Sunday brackets are incredibly favorable.

March Mapness dudes, standings talks:

1) 1st place teams, the undefeated teams, go down to 49th place. Teams with no losses and 1 draw go from positions 50-68. The top 13 or 14 teams will get a Type 59, so that's what we're all aiming for. With four more group stages I'm reasonably certain, assuming actual randomized groups, that those 68 teams will be whittled down until there are less than 13 undefeated teams. My assumption is that one loss across your 45 matches will still allow you to be top 1%, but a loss and a draw probably kick you down the standings.

2) Top 20% is basically the cutoff of where the absurd gold is, since it goes from Cromwell B and 10000 gold to TOG 2 (3500 gold) and 6000 gold. Past that, 51%-60% is trivially simple, and that's still an M4 Improved and 1500 gold. The M4 Improved is horrendous but has never been sold ingame and I'm pretty sure it's only gone on sale once, so that's alright. 41%-50% is 2500 gold and a T14, and I know I'd rather get the hard-to-obtain M4 Improved than the T14 which you should have bought for 750 gold when it was on sale ingame.

3) There are an absurd number of teams here. 1300 teams is far and away the largest tournament I've ever seen. Top 20% cutoff is up in the air, since a lot of weird stuff could happen. Obviously, the top ~260ish teams will be in that range, but I don't know what the actual win percentage you'll need. Right now the win percentage cutoff from 20% to 30% is 77.8% - 75%, but there's only been one group stage so the win percentages are stratified. The Skirmish tournaments are drastically smaller and only have three group stages, but here's the break points between 20% and 30% for the last few skirmishes (ignoring Skirmish 9 because lol their system broke and the third group stage didn't happen, and Skirmish 1 because the top 20% were 7 loving teams, apparently only 33 teams signed up):

Skirmish 2: 73.0%/71.4%
Skirmish 3: 70.2%/69.8%
Skirmish 4: 72.2%/71.7%
Skirmish 5: 71.7%/71.4%
Skirmish 6: 73.0%/71.7%
Skirmish 7: 69.8%/68.3%
Skirmish 8: 81%/76.2%

I assume Skirmish 8 is another outlier, so you're looking at around ±72% to hit the top 20%, 73% to feel safer, 74%+ to be clinched. That's 1 loss for every 3 wins - not too difficult depending on your bracket, with a little leeway for running into actually competent players and/or bullshit RNG.

4) Draws apparently do count as 1 point, where wins count as 3 points and losses count as 0 points. This is in direct contradiction to what it says in game - "a draw counts as a defeat for both teams." Don't think about it too hard, Wargaming are terrible at this, just know that presumably a draw is technically better than a loss, but a win is more than three times as good as a draw.

5) Don't give up. If you win slightly less than half your matches, you'll be getting a reasonable amount of gold and a rare tank. Try not to ragequit even if you get poo poo on by WGA with a tough group, or if you get some absurd RNG shenanigans. Keep showing up and win a bunch and get a bunch of stuff.

primelaw posted:

Apparently this one

http://console.worldoftanks.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/PzV_PzIV/

So they changed some of the stats of the PC Panzer V/IV and put it into Tier 5.... With the same hitpoints...

Tier 5 Panther? Sounds about right. Obviously since there's a tier 6 tiger and a tier 5 panther there's no excuse to not have +1/-1 matchmaking right? The Sherman can fight the Tiger and Panther like SerB intended.

Please Wargaming it's for the good of your game.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I wanted to give arty a try, so I picked up the tier 2 US one. gently caress me sideways it was painful. Surely the M7 will be less horrible.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Stringbean posted:

I wanted to give arty a try, so I picked up the tier 2 US one. gently caress me sideways it was painful. Surely the M7 will be less horrible.

Whenever i think of playing a new arty line i play a match in a tier2/3 then decide free exping to tier 5 is infintely better.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Sorry, our Germans showed up so we've got a full team today.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I tried the Russian arty yesterday at T3, and realized that it bounces shots on O-I turrets. I'm pretty sure I didn't have any penetration problems with the German line. Also I hate the RNG aspect of misses and I'm convinced that it's different than the way it was about a year ago.

Basically play German arty since it's the best, or I guess it's really 3rd or 4th best but still play the nazi arty

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The Sentinal looks amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRK7MK66X1I
ly bad

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

but you're still gonna get one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Aaaaaand I've quit arty. No matter if I let it zero in completely it always hits just behind or to the side of the thing I'm aiming for.

I'll stick to Mediums and TDs