Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

I created one an hour ago so the problem is on your end.

Would you care to share how you did it? The option does not exist for me and I've looked every day since the announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Idk what this is because I don't play games on my phone, but when I:
1. clicked on the Google play games app
2. tapped my gamerscore box
3. clicked an edit button

It popped up a screen about creating a gamer id. Not sure why this is exciting or necessary, it used your Google plus profile before, right?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Would you care to share how you did it? The option does not exist for me and I've looked every day since the announcement.

I opened Ridiculous Fishing and a prompt came up. :getin:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

RZA Encryption posted:

It popped up a screen about creating a gamer id. Not sure why this is exciting or necessary, it used your Google plus profile before, right?

Mostly because it's a unique ID, so if you don't get in early, there's a not insignificant chance someone took your name.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Nope, that does nothing for me.

Whizbang posted:

I opened Ridiculous Fishing and a prompt came up. :getin:

I open up a game that automatically signs in to Play Games every day and have never gotten a prompt. I also check my ranking in the game every day so I can see some with real name sign ins and gamer ID sign ins.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

So I upgraded my Galaxy S6 to marshmallow and now I can't get any service on it. I know it isn't the SIM card because I have swapped it into my old phone which gets service just fine. Any thoughts?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The Puppet Master posted:

So I upgraded my Galaxy S6 to marshmallow and now I can't get any service on it. I know it isn't the SIM card because I have swapped it into my old phone which gets service just fine. Any thoughts?

Uuuh, common problem, possible solution:

Settings (more networks) -> Cellular Network -> Make sure all modes are on for network (prefered network type lte or 3g depending on area) -> Network operator -> Scan for networks -> Reselect your carrier.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW, I don't get any prompt to create a gamer ID either, although I'm not sure what the gamerscore box is so that might be the actual issue.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

FWIW, I don't get any prompt to create a gamer ID either, although I'm not sure what the gamerscore box is so that might be the actual issue.

The box at the top of the main screen in the Play Games app that shows your level and XP. I went in to see if I'd have the same problem and apparently I'd created my gamer ID some time ago. :shrug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been using the Z3 compact for about 6 months now, and the adhesive that holds the screen to the body is failing and its starting to come off, enough so I can easily get my fingernail underneath the corner of the display. So much for being water proof. I bought the thing second hand, and that guy bought it online from Europe so NA support wont look at me even if it was under warranty which it probably isn't. The phones main camera is actually garbage, its never taken quality photos, in snapchat its especially awful for some reason. I wonder if it has something to do with this gap in the construction but I've only noticed that lately and the camera has always been bad. I came to notice the screen thing because the ear proximity trigger was stuck on so I couldn't do anything while a call was active, but noticed pressing on the corner of the screen seemed to fix it.

Aside from all this though, the phone is fast and Sony's software seems light years ahead of touchwiz (having owned Galaxy S, S3 and S5), there have hardly been any bugs or crashes and I haven't even bothered to root the thing. I really wanted to devote my tax money to a 4K tv but I think I'm gonna have to get a backup phone or upgrade just in case. I got the Z3c for the obvious reason, I dont want a gargantuan phone. However, my already terrible phone typing skills have only worsened on the tiny screen of this phone, so I'm considering moving back up to the ~5.0" size. Camera is paramount. I'd love to try something with a metal body. Nothing else really matters as long as it has a card slot or else I guess 64gb of storage should do. I keep seeing these Chinese manufactured phones reported in android blogs that have great specs and cost a couple hundred bucks. Any way to get them over here, and that will be able to work on our LTE bands?

tl;dr recommend me a phone with a great camera that isn't huge

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 19, 2016

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DemonMage posted:

Mostly because it's a unique ID, so if you don't get in early, there's a not insignificant chance someone took your name.
Are you sure? If that's the case I got a good one. It also looks like you can edit it at any time. It popped up for me when I installed a new game and started it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Xoeria had the same issue with the glass becoming unglued. Sucks but I was able to see it to someone who didn't mind.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

codo27 posted:

I've been using the Z3 compact for about 6 months now, and the adhesive that holds the screen to the body is failing and its starting to come off, enough so I can easily get my fingernail underneath the corner of the display. So much for being water proof. I bought the thing second hand, and that guy bought it online from Europe so NA support wont look at me even if it was under warranty which it probably isn't. The phones main camera is actually garbage, its never taken quality photos, in snapchat its especially awful for some reason. I wonder if it has something to do with this gap in the construction but I've only noticed that lately and the camera has always been bad. I came to notice the screen thing because the ear proximity trigger was stuck on so I couldn't do anything while a call was active, but noticed pressing on the corner of the screen seemed to fix it.

Aside from all this though, the phone is fast and Sony's software seems light years ahead of touchwiz (having owned Galaxy S, S3 and S5), there have hardly been any bugs or crashes and I haven't even bothered to root the thing. I really wanted to devote my tax money to a 4K tv but I think I'm gonna have to get a backup phone or upgrade just in case. I got the Z3c for the obvious reason, I dont want a gargantuan phone. However, my already terrible phone typing skills have only worsened on the tiny screen of this phone, so I'm considering moving back up to the ~5.0" size. Camera is paramount. I'd love to try something with a metal body. Nothing else really matters as long as it has a card slot or else I guess 64gb of storage should do. I keep seeing these Chinese manufactured phones reported in android blogs that have great specs and cost a couple hundred bucks. Any way to get them over here, and that will be able to work on our LTE bands?

I love my LG G4. Camera is amazing too.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So my Nexus 5 has reached the "Randomly reboots unless I bash it against my desk occasionally" phase of its life. Time for a replacement. Looking at the S7. Does the S7 come with as much carrier bloatware with Canadian carriers as it does in the US? I'd like to get it as clean and close to the Nexus as possible.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

butt dickus posted:

Are you sure? If that's the case I got a good one. It also looks like you can edit it at any time. It popped up for me when I installed a new game and started it.

quote:

Play games with a Gamer ID

For some games on Google Play Games, you have the option to sign in and play using a Gamer ID, a unique username linked to your Google account.

From here. I normally don't mind their staged rollout poo poo but this is unbelievably slow and also irritating with the unique name thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

codo27 posted:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=522904335458&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DemonMage posted:

From here. I normally don't mind their staged rollout poo poo but this is unbelievably slow and also irritating with the unique name thing.

Yeah, but how important is it that you get "fArT**mOnGeR" instead of "fArT**mOnGeR*92" on your cell phone games.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So my Nexus 5 has reached the "Randomly reboots unless I bash it against my desk occasionally" phase of its life. Time for a replacement. Looking at the S7. Does the S7 come with as much carrier bloatware with Canadian carriers as it does in the US? I'd like to get it as clean and close to the Nexus as possible.

I got my Nexus 5 repaired when it got like this, so maybe that's an option too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

I got my Nexus 5 repaired when it got like this, so maybe that's an option too.

Yeah, take it to the Google store, get it swapped out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Reportedly the Canadian S7s are not too bad in terms of bloat, however, they don't have the Snapdragon 820. Also, trolling in this thread aside, it is true to say that the Nexus experience and the Samsung experience are two similar but different things and you should educate yourself before switching from one to the other to be sure it's what you want to do.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

codo27 posted:

You're describing an iphone, just get an iphone.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
Thinking of getting a new phone. Currently stuck between Nexus 6P and the upcoming LG G5.

How are the LG phones, not had one before. Do they load them up with bloat like TouchWiz?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

however, they don't have the Snapdragon 820.

According to reviews and benchmarks, this isn't a bad thing.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SpitefulHammer posted:

Thinking of getting a new phone. Currently stuck between Nexus 6P and the upcoming LG G5.

How are the LG phones, not had one before. Do they load them up with bloat like TouchWiz?

There's bloatware and there's manufacturer skins. Bloatware is generally dictated by the carriers (avoid AT&T and Verizon). LG's manufacturer skins are... pretty extensive, you probably want to try out an LG phone in person before making a decision.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Galaxy S7 and Gear VR question: Has anyone else seen an icon pop up when you are using the Gear Vr that looks like of like a wrist watch?

Kind of like this:

||
||
O
||
||

I have also a similar icon that looks like that but with a G instead of a circle in the middle. I can't find any indication any where what it means.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this is a phone issue or an app issue but how do the hell do stop games from stopping my music/podcasts. I've only noticed this recently on a new phone I just got but I hadn't used these games while playing outside audio previously. I just want to listen to my podcasts while playing Kingdom Rush :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whizbang posted:

You're describing an iphone, just get an iphone.

I will never support the fourth reich

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

codo27 posted:

I will never support the fourth reich

Honestly, if a great camera in a 5" phone is what you're after, just get the regular S7. Marshmallow Touchwiz is fine.

Nexus 5X is 5.2" and the camera is... pretty competent, actually, even great, but blown away by the S7.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SpitefulHammer posted:

LG phones are fine. Honestly, their best "feature" is that they drop in price like a rock after a certain period of time. Unless you love the things that make the G5 different (removable battery, "friends") I wouldn't be interested at launch when it's full price. After holding an S7 I don't think any other phone will compete with it at that price range.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus 5X is 5.2" and the camera is... pretty competent, actually, even great, but blown away by the S7.
Not really.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-review-the-galaxy-s6-2-0/3/

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In all of those the Nexus 5X looks worse to me and the article even says so.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

That's Ron Amadeo though, who gives a poo poo?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I wasn't expecting the Samsung Defense Crew to mobilize that quickly when I had the audacity to post something that shows the S7s camera isn't noticeably better than the 5Xs.

Daily Forecast posted:

In all of those the Nexus 5X looks worse to me and the article even says so.
It says that for one image. On the first two the 5x is clearly better.

Desk Lamp posted:

You mean the guy from Android Police (already the best Android-centric site) that was so good that he was hired by Ars Technica?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Are we not supposed to like Rom Amadeo? I can't keep up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

butt dickus posted:

It says that for one image. On the first two the 5x is clearly better.

The two outdoor shots where the sky is blown out?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I don't know or care if the camera on the S7 is better than the Nexus 5's, but Amadeo is basically Smythe with a writing gig.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Desk Lamp posted:

I don't know or care if the camera on the S7 is better than the Nexus 5's, but Amadeo is basically Smythe with a writing gig.
So, actually worth reading then?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

butt dickus posted:

I wasn't expecting the Samsung Defense Crew

Jesus Christ Almighty, this knee-jerk reaction is getting ridiculous. Dude asked for a small phone with a good camera, I told him.

butt dickus posted:

S7s camera isn't noticeably better than the 5Xs.

If you honestly believe that, you're fuckin' blind.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 20, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ehh, from looking at those pics I wouldn't really say one camera was better than the other. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Like those first outdoor shots. The 5x blows out the sky more, but on the rest of the picture the colors are quite a bit better than on the S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

LG phones are fine. Honestly, their best "feature" is that they drop in price like a rock after a certain period of time. Unless you love the things that make the G5 different (removable battery, "friends") I wouldn't be interested at launch when it's full price. After holding an S7 I don't think any other phone will compete with it at that price range.

Their best "feature" is the best alarm sound in the world.