Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

be nice wicka posted:

can we get this from a source other than "thejudge13" please?

If you had bothered to click you would have known that they translated http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/probleme-bei-f1-motoren-reform-billig-motor-eine-mogelpackung-10594747.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So yeah slept on it. That quali system after Q1 was poo poo. 100 percent poo poo.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
And for what it's worth the quali format was rad to watch trackside, whilst hearing the commentators and having the f1 app open on my tablet with full list of drivers and times

Until the last 4 minutes when it was empty track and even the commentators didn't know what to say

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I didnt watch quali and i'm not going to watch the race. But, hell F1 is poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

And for what it's worth the quali format was rad to watch trackside, whilst hearing the commentators and having the f1 app open on my tablet with full list of drivers and times

Until the last 4 minutes when it was empty track and even the commentators didn't know what to say

That Ferrari turbo noise sound as good in person? I quite like the engine noises this year.

Even the McLaren low rpm growl doesn't sound sick anymore.

track day bro! posted:

I didnt watch quali and i'm not going to watch the race. But, hell F1 is poo poo.

You're not wrong.

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 19, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i don't trust anything about that site, even the translations, sooooo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Why was the track empty for four minutes? Why didn't Nico go out and try to get pole?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

Why was the track empty for four minutes? Why didn't Nico go out and try to get pole?

They ran out of fresh tyres/ enough time to put new sets on for another run

JaKivi
Mar 28, 2010
Oh man, it was so funny to hear commentators be like, "Now the battle of titans is on! Mercedes vs. Ferrari", and then Ferrari is like gently caress it, let'stop here. Good game F1, good game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tsaedje posted:

They ran out of fresh tyres/ enough time to put new sets on for another run

Was that a result of the qualifying format, or allowing drivers/teams to make their own choices for how many tires of each compound they bring?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

darth cookie posted:

Interesting that you made it through the 00-04 era, which was arguably the most predictable in terms of outcomes, but only surrendered after the Vettelsreich began. What was the difference for you?

Well the first season it was "hey it's cool to see Ferrari doing things" but then it was pretty bad, yeah. I guess it was interesting watching Montoya/Alonso trying to do things every now and again, but there's a lot of "yeah I've seen F1 like this, it's poo poo, can't be hosed with that anymore" behind my thinking too.

be nice wicka posted:

then the gently caress are you posting in an F1 thread for if you supposedly don't watch or care about the sport

be nice wicka

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

JaKivi posted:

Oh man, it was so funny to hear commentators be like, "Now the battle of titans is on! Mercedes vs. Ferrari", and then Ferrari is like gently caress it, let'stop here. Good game F1, good game.

BUT-A MARIO WE-A HAVE-A FOUR AND A HALF MINUTES-A TO GO?

-Not-a enough time-a. Va bene job guys.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

Was that a result of the qualifying format, or allowing drivers/teams to make their own choices for how many tires of each compound they bring?

More the former than the latter.

Breakdown of the problems with this morning's quali:
  • Some teams got caught flat footed having seemingly not read the rules and thinking they would get to set a lap they were currently on when the timer ran out, so you had multiple cars getting eliminated halfway into their fast lap.
  • 90s eliminations doesn't give enough time to see you are in danger, change tyres/setup, do an outlap and set a time, even on a relatively short lap like in Melbourne.
Both of these would be fixable by the teams just getting used to the new format and working out when they are in the danger zone
  • At the end of Q2 teams seemed to prefer to set a time and save tyres rather than have to use another set of tyres to get to Q3, where they'd have to use at least one more set of tyres to get any benefit for getting through.
  • Halfway through Q3 after one run from everyone, it was pretty clear that nobody was going to challenge Mercedes/Ferrari very much so they all gave up and settled for being eliminated sat in the pits
  • At the end of Q3 Ferrari preferred to save a set of tyres instead of going out to try to get closer to Mercedes, who did one more run with both cars on track, and settled for the 1-2 they had 5 minutes before the session ended.

These can only be fixed by having more tyres available

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
This post was bad. My point is as follows: manufacturers can gently caress off

poty fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 19, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

poty posted:

In 2009 when BMW, Honda and Toyota left they replaced it with circuit fees from arab dictatorships. Seemed to work fine.

The best era of F1 is destined to be the season that's just every Arab track raced five times over

Sounds legit

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's funny because in 50 years time our children will be plugged into the thought matrix bitching about how F1 cars were never meant to have hover technology and why don't we go back to the glory days of Seb vs Lewis.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

Trust The Worst Thread to totally melt down after one qualifying session. They'll modify it to something less stupid, and that will be the end of it. We haven't even had one race yet ffs, maybe put your F1 obituaries on hold for a few weeks?

If they don't want to go back to the previous quali system I propose:

A single hour long session version of the shitshow we had this morning, which would solve a lot of the problems.

22 minutes to set a decent lap, then eliminations every 2 minutes until there's two cars left to battle it out. The eliminations are slightly less rapid fire so there's a bit more time to do an outlap if you're in the danger zone.

Teams now have multiple sets of tyres to use over the whole hour so the quick teams don't use theirs up early and can still compete for pole at the end. Also you can start the race on whatever the hell tyres you like.

The whole point of the change is to have the eliminations start quickly so that when Rosberg fucks up he can't recover in the 5 mins it takes for him to be knocked out so he has to start from the back of the grid.

I guess you could do the single hour session, start eliminating 5 minutes in and do 2.5 minute intervals

By the way the only problem with the new qualy system is that the teams don't have the tyres to stay on track responding to each other all the time. Give them more tyres and see the problem magically get fixed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
or we could have 3 sessions 20 mins or so long and then have the bottom drivers the first 2 sessions be knocked out. In the final session they see who can set the fastest time and that determines the grid.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Or we could have a single 60 min session to set fast laps.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did Mercedes use more tires than Ferrari in qualifying because they thought they were going to need to fight for the pole? Or did Ferrari use an extra set in Q2?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Doesn't F1 only exist at this point as a reason for Bernie to line his pockets, with a bunch of hangers-on who just don't know what else to do but keep going?

The current mess won't change until Bernie dies or gives up control (neither will happen) so just get used to the steady decline in quality and increase in venue fees. Oh, and don't get too hopeful for any decent use of that silly "Internet" thing. Just a fad, you know.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Riso - Have I blanked something similar and truly terrible from my mind because they all sat in the garage 90% of the time. At least in the 80s we had the hilarity of there being so many teams turn up at races that not all of them could fit on the grid, so all the piss and biscuit teams got told nope too slow bugger off- Qualifying is the wrong name for it these days, it's just grid ordering.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Goetta posted:

Did Mercedes use more tires than Ferrari in qualifying because they thought they were going to need to fight for the pole? Or did Ferrari use an extra set in Q2?

End of the session it was Lewis, Seb, Rosberg, Kimi in that order. Lewis and Rosberg went out again and used an extra set of tyres while Ferrari sat in the garage and saved a set. Nico did have a reason to go out, as far as a Merc 1 2 went Lewis did not. Then when they set those times they parked up and we had no cars on tracks for the last 4 minutes of the session.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So, Channel 4 did a decent enough job. If not for the occasional ad break and Suzi Perry being replaced by Sylar, you'd hardly realise it was no longer on the BBC.

Qualli itself was arse, though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

So, Channel 4 did a decent enough job. If not for the occasional ad break and Suzi Perry being replaced by Sylar, you'd hardly realise it was no longer on the BBC.

I liked it initially.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

learnincurve posted:

Riso - Have I blanked something similar and truly terrible from my mind because they all sat in the garage 90% of the time. At least in the 80s we had the hilarity of there being so many teams turn up at races that not all of them could fit on the grid, so all the piss and biscuit teams got told nope too slow bugger off- Qualifying is the wrong name for it these days, it's just grid ordering.

Yes, it was a big game of chicken. Last guy to set fastest lap wins. However small teams were able to score some great tv time for their sponsors doing laps.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Riso posted:

This tbh. Of course with more tyres.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I still can't believe how bad that was

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Riso posted:

that would make far too much sense, not happening in this sport

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
We'll end up with a Saturday sprint race to determine the grid for Sunday I reckon

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

We'll end up with a Saturday sprint race to determine the grid for Sunday I reckon

Line them up in reverse order of championship points. 5 laps, how they finish determines the starting grid.

See how easy that was Bernie?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Payndz posted:

The dubstep hashtag thing before the break makes me react like :bahgawd:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

daslog posted:

Line them up in reverse order of championship points. 5 laps, how they finish determines the starting grid.

Make it 100km, i.e. a third of race distance ~30 mins and have DRS available on lap 2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

anything that involves a reverse grid of any kind is A Bad Idea

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

That looks better and it'd help with the kind of debris that left Massa even more retarded

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

That looks better and it'd help with the kind of debris that left Massa even more retarded

They already fixed what hurt Massa by strengthening the visor.

Red Bull's concept looks a bit better, but it's easy to mock up something that looks nice. Let's see how it looks when they've actually run it through the tests the FIA needs it to pass.

E: also what happens when it's wet/dirty, do they install wipers?

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

anything that involves a reverse grid of any kind is A Bad Idea

You just hate everything.

On a side note, media companies do an excellent job measuring market penetration. F1 is getting less popular, but it doesn't really matter. Billionaires will continue to spend their fortunes on it for the next 20 years, so who cars if they are a few million less fans?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

You just hate everything.

On a side note, media companies do an excellent job measuring market penetration. F1 is getting less popular, but it doesn't really matter. Billionaires will continue to spend their fortunes on it for the next 20 years, so who cars if they are a few million less fans?

the only thing i hate is the idea of a competition involving the drivers and teams who perform best being artificially handicapped. that defeats the point of a competition and is indefensibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's literally just saying "we've failed at our job so instead we're going to penalize success." and even then, good teams will sandbag like crazy. it's an awful awful awful idea and won't even work in reality.

• Locked thread