Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SeaTard posted:

The Sounders will be fine.

They're playing the "MLS is a joke league so let's not take offseason seriously game" and it is going to bite them in the rear end. Seattle excelled because they overachieved, tried hard, and spent money during this period. My prediction is they don't even make the playoffs this season. So if by fine you mean being losers then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

SeaTard posted:

The Sounders will be fine.

The Sounders will never be fine. The Sounders will not win an MLS Cup in our lifetime.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Everyone knows the first 32 games don't matter. Win those last two games and get hot for the playoffs. Boom, MLS Cup in your hands.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO

Syrinxx posted:

The San Jose Earthquakes are atop the table, hail satan

Hail

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

DR AIDS posted:

Interesting you've become this optimistic after we lost our first 2 games, as you were saying before the season we'd miss the playoffs.

Yeah, I was mainly thinking that before I really saw the current group of guys playing, I think the only game I'd seen was the Club America away leg. And honestly, probably downgrading my expectations because I assumed Evans would keep playing centerback. Losing Martins did not supply as big a drop as I think it would have before the season started. I don't know, consider it more evidence that I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about, really, I just like screaming at the kickymans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When was the last time that the Sounders didn't get a playoff berth?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Star Man posted:

every year they've been in MLS, they've made playoffs.

the Timbers, however, have one MLS cup with only two playoff appearances in 5 seasons...
:smug:

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 17, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Star Man posted:

The Sounders are completely a HENRY rear end in a top hat complaining that their $250k salary isn't so big once they've paid for private school and savings for Tyler and Dakota.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

DOOP posted:

This but the Union

I'm still waiting on the other shoe to drop from this game, and I was there.

I got some cool CBus Scarves though and ate some good chili from their tailgate. Midwesterners are so nice it's strange. Even their Ultras spat poo poo at me and then when he realized I knew the person who sews a lot of the tifo he was profusely apologetic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So as a super casual soccer fan (I watch World Cup and the occasional game with my English expat buddies), I am kind of interested in the fact that San Antonio has an MLS team starting this year. I can get 6th season tickets for 280 bucks.

Is it worth it to watch a probably terrible team live outside in a brand new stadium where it is hot as hell or just watch it on TV?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So as a super casual soccer fan (I watch World Cup and the occasional game with my English expat buddies), I am kind of interested in the fact that San Antonio has an MLS team starting this year. I can get 6th season tickets for 280 bucks.

Is it worth it to watch a probably terrible team live outside in a brand new stadium where it is hot as hell or just watch it on TV?

You should definitely get tickets because live soccer is the bomb. You should also be aware that it is actually a USL team, which is officially the 3rd tier of American soccer, and it is replacing the San Antonio Scorpions, who were in the NASL, which is officially the 2nd tier of American soccer. That said, the tiers in American soccer are pretty much made up, and USL is still a cool league.

edit to add that their home park is very nice, it's expandable to MLS standards (which is their stated goal, I think), and that the players you will see are a cool mix of MLS prospects, American and foreign journeymen, and the random old dude that used to be pretty good. There's more of that last category in NASL, but USL has a few, too. You should get tickets.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

camoseven posted:

You should definitely get tickets because live soccer is the bomb. You should also be aware that it is actually a USL team, which is officially the 3rd tier of American soccer, and it is replacing the San Antonio Scorpions, who were in the NASL, which is officially the 2nd tier of American soccer. That said, the tiers in American soccer are pretty much made up, and USL is still a cool league.

edit to add that their home park is very nice, it's expandable to MLS standards (which is their stated goal, I think), and that the players you will see are a cool mix of MLS prospects, American and foreign journeymen, and the random old dude that used to be pretty good. There's more of that last category in NASL, but USL has a few, too. You should get tickets.

Oh yeah the Scorpions were NASL when they were her. Now I guess the Spurs own SA FC . I have been to a Scorpions game and it was a lot of fun, Toyota Field is pretty nice. It looks like the Spurs are trying to push it up to MLS standards starting in 2017.

Sounds fun. My wife said I could buy tickets so I just might.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
wait about two seasons and your embarrassingly bad san antonio team will pony up the cash to join the vaunted ranks of teams that fill up baseball and dated football stadiums for fans to watch some pretty bad soccer

if you're lucky they'll have open try outs and your likely girthy goony rear end has a shot at making the reserve roster.

good luck and god bless this dumb league :patriot:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh yeah the Scorpions were NASL when they were her. Now I guess the Spurs own SA FC . I have been to a Scorpions game and it was a lot of fun, Toyota Field is pretty nice. It looks like the Spurs are trying to push it up to MLS standards starting in 2017.

Sounds fun. My wife said I could buy tickets so I just might.

Be sure to ask for "Suqit" at the gate.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

So Fire-Crew tomorrow is at the exact same time that Indiana plays Kentucky in the NCAAs.

If I die from a sports-rivalry-induced aneurysm, don't put "goon" on my tombstone.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hello Towel posted:

So Fire-Crew tomorrow is at the exact same time that Indiana plays Kentucky in the NCAAs.

If I die from a sports-rivalry-induced aneurysm, don't put "goon" on my tombstone.

Here's lies Hello Towel, he watched MLS.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Fucitol posted:

wait about two seasons and your embarrassingly bad san antonio team will pony up the cash to join the vaunted ranks of teams that fill up baseball and dated football stadiums for fans to watch some pretty bad soccer

if you're lucky they'll have open try outs and your likely girthy goony rear end has a shot at making the reserve roster.

I already love the defeatist fans here in this thread. Where have you been all my goon life?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I've also been over in TFF, jerk. :colbert:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tigren posted:

Here's lies Hello Towel, he watched MLS.

a gruesome fate, to be sure

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I already love the defeatist fans here in this thread. Where have you been all my goon life?

American Soccer has a huge inferiority complex that is only partially deserved. They've talked about changing it, but for example, the MLS All Star game is a set of MLS All Stars against an European Team in some sick attempt to prove "hey guys, we have good players...". Henry mentioned it when he was doing his retirement lap here, confused at why we hate ourselves so much.

Basically between most American sports fans considering American soccer fans effete liberal pansies and European soccer fans considering American soccer fans naive posers, everyone is kind of touchy. That both complaints are often true adds to it!

e: You also might find some good conversation in the US Lower Leagues thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762847

Go to games, have fun, heckle guys that make less money than you, hate people from a different city. It's what sports is all about!

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 18, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

It also boils down to most of us having to deal with insufferable ex-pats extolling the glory days of Luton Town and how because they have an accent they know more about the game than us.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

foobardog posted:

Go to games, have fun, heckle guys that make less money than you, hate people from a different city. It's what sports is all about!

And that is the real truth. Soccer rules, no matter what or where you watch. Everything else is secondary, except for the hatred. The burning hot hatred of other teams, oh yes. :black101:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Fucitol posted:

He should watch TFC in the meantime because most of our garbageman castaways end up in San Antonio anyway

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

foobardog posted:

American Soccer has a huge inferiority complex that is only partially deserved. They've talked about changing it, but for example, the MLS All Star game is a set of MLS All Stars against an European Team in some sick attempt to prove "hey guys, we have good players...". Henry mentioned it when he was doing his retirement lap here, confused at why we hate ourselves so much.

Basically between most American sports fans considering American soccer fans effete liberal pansies and European soccer fans considering American soccer fans naive posers, everyone is kind of touchy. That both complaints are often true adds to it!

e: You also might find some good conversation in the US Lower Leagues thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762847

I did not realize those guys basically made minimum wage. I also did not realize I make more than most MLS players. Jesus.

Looking at the MLS numbers it's weird as gently caress to see half of them make 60k and then some random dude makes 6 million.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I had heard tale of a push to move to Providence, which would actually be incredible?

The Revs will dissolve as a team before they leave Massachusetts

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I did not realize those guys basically made minimum wage. I also did not realize I make more than most MLS players. Jesus.

Looking at the MLS numbers it's weird as gently caress to see half of them make 60k and then some random dude makes 6 million.

Welcome to "Let's Not Spend Ourselves Into Insolvency Like the Old NASL" MLS. If you want some more fun, just look at the league's roster/salary cap rules...then realize they can be broken/rewritten on a whim so long as it suits the league. :v:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Turdsdown Tom posted:

The Revs will dissolve as a team before they leave Massachusetts

Both scenarios are acceptable.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rumor has it Tim Howard to Colorado will be officially announced tomorrow. The timing makes sense since it's one of the two national tv games the Rapids have and butts in the seats and etc.

As for the move itself...see previous comments. In short, I still don't know if I should be terribly excited, terribly upset, or entirely ambivalent. It's not like the team will be *worse* with Howard. :shrug:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Rumor has it Tim Howard to Colorado will be officially announced tomorrow. The timing makes sense since it's one of the two national tv games the Rapids have and butts in the seats and etc.

As for the move itself...see previous comments. In short, I still don't know if I should be terribly excited, terribly upset, or entirely ambivalent. It's not like the team will be *worse* with Howard. :shrug:

I'm not wild about it, partly because I think he should still be running Everton, and partly because it feels wrong for him to be on any MLS team that ain't in Jersey.

WHILE WE'RE DISCUSSING DEPRESSING TEAMS:

You may know this if you follow me on Twitter, but my mom died suddenly on Thursday. I know it's a bit late for this weekends games--I'm on vacation in Osaka atm--but if you'd like to honor her, get tore up (gin and tonics were her favorite, or :420: if you prefer) and heckle some players in person. She taught me all I know about being an awful sports fan. :unsmith:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Gonna be honest, Dempsey looks pretty dated and lovely *right now*

Hoover Dam posted:

Condolences, that's awful. May you ride g&t road in her honor, shiny and chrome.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hoover Dam posted:

I'm not wild about it, partly because I think he should still be running Everton, and partly because it feels wrong for him to be on any MLS team that ain't in Jersey.

You may know this if you follow me on Twitter, but my mom died suddenly on Thursday. I know it's a bit late for this weekends games--I'm on vacation in Osaka atm--but if you'd like to honor her, get tore up (gin and tonics were her favorite, or :420: if you prefer) and heckle some players in person. She taught me all I know about being an awful sports fan. :unsmith:

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences. Time for a :guinness: in memorial.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I missed tonight's Sounders game. On one hand, two PKs would screw anyone over, on the other hand, depression just seems the right feeling right now.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
The league must be using interns learning iMovie to edit their highlight videos. They've been terrible as of late and every video that the league produces is quite boring. Nothing looks like it's geared towards people born in this century, which should be their target audience, unless they are actually planning to go the way of baseball and are just waiting for their fans to die of old age.

Examples:
- All 7 goals made it into the allotted 4 minutes in NY vs HOU but they omitted the red cards in RSL vs POR (a 4 goal game).
- FCD vs IMFC has audio problems.
- This year's Instant Replay kind of sucks

Is this a professional league? They're both marketing themselves as such and shooting themselves in the foot.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Fox are reporting that it's done, and that he'll join after the Copa America

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/inside-mls/tim-howard-to-join-colorado-rapids-from-everton-in-summer-032016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

It's official. link

Conveniently TransAmerica has extended their shirt sponsorship of the Rapids through 2019. Tim Howard has signed through 2019. Coincidence? Probably not. link

I'm still not sold on Howard, but I'm not opposed to the deal (I was ambivalent to opposed earlier). Im going to wait and see now. It should be fun to watch if nothing else.

Mostly I wish they'd figure out you have to play Powers as a number 8, not a number 10. Another promise from the team falling short so far.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 20, 2016

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Timbers are going to finish in last place now, don't see how they can be motivated or recover from this

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/711707647402180609

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

When I hear about an MLS team in San Antonio, all I hear is "three hour road trip" and that's enough for me.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

trem_two posted:

Timbers are going to finish in last place now, don't see how they can be motivated or recover from this

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/711707647402180609

All of it already been found on some homeless guy. Now it's just fuel for the fire, baby.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Welcome to GBS posted:

All of it already been found on some homeless guy. Now it's just fuel for the fire, baby.

Is that the homeless guy in question shown in the tweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It was a huge contrast yesterday watching the DC game with like 1000 bored people in RFK stadium which is a loving dump and has the worst pitch I have ever seen, then watching the SKC game in a gorgeous stadium with a totally amped up sellout crowd.

• Locked thread