Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MA-Horus posted:

Nobody approves of your car

Hahahahahahahaha tell me it's an automatic too

No, manual. 6-speed too, unlike the older GTs I would've considered buying used.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh no, a specific brand of car does not meet your marketing requirement. :geno:

Really, unless it's a pinto or lada, there's no real reason to laugh at someone else's car.

I have a soft spot for Ladas. They're poo poo, but oddly endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You have an almost endless parade of bad posts and opinions from PT6A and you guys pick the car he drives as the one to latch on to? No wonder this country is so hosed up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

You have an almost endless parade of bad posts and opinions from PT6A and you guys pick the car he drives as the one to latch on to? No wonder this country is so hosed up.

They're criticizing me for buying the less expensive one which is better for the environment, too :v:

It really explains so much, doesn't it?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh no, a specific brand of car does not meet your marketing requirement. :geno:

Really, unless it's a pinto or lada, there's no real reason to laugh at someone else's car.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

cars and all luxury products are a class issue

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I drive a Suzuki SX4 AWD. Bring it on. :colbert:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A long while ago my old boss built a successful company and sold it to another company and I assume made a ton of money on the deal. He bought a hummer because I dunno he had tons of cash to throw around and wanted to waste it on something flashy. He ended up selling it because it made him feel like an rear end in a top hat driving such an obnoxious car.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ikantski posted:

Is it genocide though? ISIS isn't targeting a particular group of people, they're targeting every group other than themselves (and even then killing a lot of Sunnis). Labeling it genocide doesn't seem harsh enough, I'm sure that what Dion meant.

Technically targetting everything but your own race/religion would be a genocide. Beating up on Dion for not following John Kerry's grandstanding stance though is idiotic.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You've gotta love how often modern politics reduces to some arcane debate over the definition of words like torture, genocide or terrorism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

While there are certainly grey areas, I don't see how Daesh's actions toward Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims, as well as their states intentions, can be considered anything short of genocide.

The Holocaust didn't stop being genocide just because Hitler also killed Roma, homosexuals and communists in addition to Jews.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Calling it genocide would have legal implications that would impede the government's freedom of action, hence why the term is politicized. This kind of poo poo is symptomatic of our bureaucratized and legalistic civilization. Somebody says "let's make legal regulations compelling the government to act against genocide" and then the result is that people quibble over the definition of genocide.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Calling it genocide would have legal implications that would impede the government's freedom of action, hence why the term is politicized. This kind of poo poo is symptomatic of our bureaucratized and legalistic civilization. Somebody says "let's make legal regulations compelling the government to act against genocide" and then the result is that people quibble over the definition of genocide.

Fair point. I think it would be more intellectually honest to change those laws so the government isn't compelled to do anything and can address things case by case, instead of arguing about how many angels have to be slaughtered on the head of pin before it's genocide.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
A good Toronto Star article profiling OLP voters.

quote:

“I know it sounds ridiculous. It’s like how could you fall for such a thing,” says the 46-year-old single father who asked that his name and appearance be changed to protect his job and his family. “But depending on the stage of your life and the vulnerability and what you’re going through, they’re very good at making you believe.”

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/gta/2016/03/19/inside-the-secret-world-of-torontos-fraudulent-fortune-telling-industry.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lol, psychics. gently caress me, why do I work for a living when I could tell people nonsense and give them worthless trinkets and have them spend enough to lose their house?

It should be legal because it's a good thing when credulous imbeciles lose all their money, IMO.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

tell people nonsense and give them worthless trinkets and have them spend enough to lose their house?

You work in IT, this is a fair description of what you do now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I love the legit psychic complaining about the fraudulent ones.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

To be fair, that quote describes people that unquestionably follow any of the three major parties. Just look at how good the OPC is at maintaining their base while still trotting out Thatcherism and Reganomics.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

That's not fair. The trinkets are fairly expensive and are provided to the workers by the company. :colbert:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Furnaceface posted:

To be fair, that quote describes people that unquestionably follow any of the three major parties. Just look at how good the OPC is at maintaining their base while still trotting out Thatcherism and Reganomics.

Please tell me you at least read the headline.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

I know, but it actually requires some degree of expertise, whereas if I could just make things up and sprinkle a few planet names in there, all while making the same amount, it would save me a lot of aggravation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just say an SaaS on the cloud will solve problem (x), same result

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

lmao

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

also lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

Please tell me you at least read the headline.

I did but I was specifically replying to that little bit he quoted and used it to imply how easily people can get suckered in to voting OLP if someone says exactly what they want to hear.

Apparently Im very bad at wording things. :shrug:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's a Conservative futures conference going on today in Barrie. Doug Ford, Peter MacKay and Michelle Rempel were all billed but aren't there.

We're left with the dregs. Here's a couple of highlights:

https://twitter.com/cselley/status/711270150641614848

https://twitter.com/cselley/status/711292220914032642

That Bernier one is :psyduck: like what? He goes on to use Bombardier subsidies as an example.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

This makes sense from a conservative mindset, if it weren't for the perversion of the marketplace by government regulations and the social safety net, there would be no poor underclass. They would all die.

The unfettered free market provides perfect balance, as those who cannot compete die out. Unemployment is also solved, if you don't have a job you starve to death and thus are no longer unemployed. A natural balance is maintained between the number of jobs and the number of workers.

Inequality only exists because those without are allowed to survive.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I was wondering if any posters from Quebec might be able to provide some commentary on the last federal election; specifically, the gains the conservatives made around Quebec city and its entourage...

I can see how different parts of the province voted the way they did in regards to the differences (ie: Liberals making gains in Montreal, the NPD holding onto regions around la Trifluvie / Bertierville and these areas are more social democratic, the Bloc making gains in some of the more "pure laine" regions.

Or, perhaps it was the strength of some of the local conservative candidates, combined with a poor bloc showing, and a dose of "niqab" fear that helped increase their standings...Yet the area around Quebec city still had a conservative outcome in the 2011 election, and the whole 'les ccomodement raisonables" debate had not started until much after. Was it due to some of the crazy 4-way races?

At any rate I'd be curious to hear from some of our Quebec posters from Quebec city

Guigui fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2016

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Guigui posted:

I was wondering if any posters from Quebec might be able to provide some commentary on the last federal election; specifically, the gains the conservatives made around Quebec city and its entourage...

I can see how different parts of the province voted the way they did in regards to the differences (ie: Montreal going almost exclusively Liberal as there remains a large mix of diverse cultures and other cultural mixes, the NPD holding onto regions around la Trifluvie / Bertierville and these areas are more social democratic, the Bloc making gains in some of the more "pure laine" regions.

Or, perhaps it was the strength of some of the local conservative candidates, combined with a poor bloc showing, and a dose of "niqab" fear that helped increase their standings...Yet the area around Quebec city still had a conservative outcome in the 2011 election, and the whole 'les ccomodement raisonables" debate had not started until much after. Was it due to some of the crazy 4-way races?

At any rate I'd be curious to hear from some of our Quebec posters from Quebec city

Quebec City and its suburbs are much more conservative, both fiscally and socially, than the rest of the province. Right-wing talk radio is insanely popular there. It's also where Quebec independence is least popular among french speakers (going back to '95 and probably '80). Every election. pundits talk about "le mystère Québec". It's always been an outlier.

JayMax fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 19, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
holy poo poo what the gently caress is francophone/quebec conservatism? "hey baby come back and join my free love sex cult also gently caress immigrants and public healthcare!!!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I never went to Quebec City but all the people I met from there were way nicer and more friendly than Montrealers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hope they pick Bernier to be the next party leader.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

El Scotch posted:

I hope they pick Bernier to be the next party leader.

They won't.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

I never went to Quebec City but all the people I met from there were way nicer and more friendly than Montrealers.

The people I've met IN Quebec City would explain why you met those folks elsewhere.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
It's a shame. Quebec City is a very beautiful city, especially at night, and I would love to go back there soon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Do it anyway because it is a beautiful city, just be ready to get shat on for not speaking the right kind of French, is all.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's a shame. Quebec City is a very beautiful city, especially at night, and I would love to go back there soon

Now that's an av

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

10/10

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

flakeloaf posted:

Do it anyway because it is a beautiful city, just be ready to get shat on for not speaking the right kind of French, is all.

Not a fan of Quebec City, but I sincerely doubt that.

What's the right kind of French?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guigui posted:

I can see how different parts of the province voted the way they did in regards to the differences (ie: Liberals making gains in Montreal, the NPD holding onto regions around la Trifluvie / Bertierville and these areas are more social democratic, the Bloc making gains in some of the more "pure laine" regions.

That's easy: way back when, in the far off days of the 40s and 50s, Quebec was super conservative and extremely catholic. There was the Quiet Revolution that changed everything in the 60s, but there still remains a lot of the old Quebec that still exists, mostly around Quebec and in rural areas. They make up the right wing half of the separatist movement, and with the Bloc/PQ dying they're going back to the Conservatives.

Look up Duplessis and the Great Darkness to see where Quebec Conservatism comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
The thing is, every region in the province outside of Quebec City, even rural areas, are a lot more progressive than QC.