Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm in Supernatural season 7. By this point both Winchesters have been to Hell, discovered angels and dragons exist, fended off the apocalypse, seen purgatory opened, and opened purgatory. But the Jersey Devil? That can't possibly exist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well no, that's just dumb:colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Everybody probably knows this by now but the scene in T2 where Arnold is getting his head operated on actually involves a false mirror and takes advantage of Linda Hamilton's twin sister in order to pull off the illusion that its actually Arnold's head being cut open. Arnold and Linda's sister are in a double of the scene behind the "mirror" while Linda and a dummy Arnold are in the foreground.

That really blew my mind when I read about it and I had to go watch the scene a couple more times to see. I really love practical effects tricks like that, before everybody just started filling gaps with CG.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Yeah practical effects trump CG effects any day of the week. When directors get lazy and stop caring about practical effects it can be awful, though. Zack Snyder, for example, sucks poo poo. Check out his use of the same mirror trick from T2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_IemarLt5c

Watch the foreground actresses' movements and how they do not sync up at all with the billed actresses' movements. It's so egregious that I am momentarily amazed it made it into the final cut, then I remember how bad the rest of the movie is.

Edit: watching it again I see this is a combination of practical and digital effects, which makes the un-synced movements even more embarrassing :xd:

Van Dis has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Mar 19, 2016

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Len posted:

I'm in Supernatural season 7. By this point both Winchesters have been to Hell, discovered angels and dragons exist, fended off the apocalypse, seen purgatory opened, and opened purgatory. But the Jersey Devil? That can't possibly exist!

My favorite scene of them not believing something was in like season...3? Before Cass. Sam is talking about the monster of the week being an angel but Dean just refuses to entertain the idea.

"I ONLY BELIEVE IN THINGS IVE SEEN SAM"

they've literally seen a door to hell opened and have been fighting demons but AN ANGEL? THAT CAN'T EXIST. NO.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Febreeze posted:

they've literally seen a door to hell opened and have been fighting demons but AN ANGEL? THAT CAN'T EXIST. NO.

To be fair, the angels that they had in mind don't exist. In their own words, they are actually dicks, not the forces of good they were picturing.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Kind of like in Smallville, where characters seemed to regularly get possessed by evil aliens/demons/artificial intelligences but nobody spots the pattern.

Hmm... Clark is acting a bit strange today, don't you think?
What? Nah, he's fine. Just a bit cranky.
You don't think maybe he might be possessed again?
Don't be silly, he probably just slept badly.
*Superman goes bananas and starts tearing poo poo up*
Oh my god, who'da thunk it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Van Dis posted:

Yeah practical effects trump CG effects any day of the week.

That's way false. Good CGI and good practical are impossible to pick out from real life. You (the general you) just only notice the bad examples. There's plenty of examples of horrid CGI and horrid practical effects.

I'll agree that even when a practical effect is pure poo poo, it does still have that physicality that a pure trash bullshit CGI won't have. But that's really the only difference. The rest is just budget & effort.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Part of the reason the Spino vs T. rex fight in Jurassic Park 3 is short is they were bashing the models together and the rex's head broke off.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Any opportunity to re-post this video is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24
(re: CG vs practical effects)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Febreeze posted:

My favorite scene of them not believing something was in like season...3? Before Cass. Sam is talking about the monster of the week being an angel but Dean just refuses to entertain the idea.

Well, honestly, if the door to hell's been opened and demons are walking the Earth and still no angels showed up to deal with the situation, it's not unreasonable to conclude that they don't exist.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Goldeneye (1995) Bond seems to become literally retarded in one scene. Part of the appeal of Bond is that he's a ladies man and sexy and blah blah blah. But Bond meets Onatopp in a bath house because she's part of a criminal syndicate. Bond already found a corpse that she's responsible for, he knows she's a murderer, she's a terrorist and she's one of the most wanted people in the world. He has her at gunpoint but she just walks up to him and starts kissing him and he tosses the gun away. Then they fight and he keeps nonchalantly turning his back to her and she keeps attacking. It's like this one scene turns Bond into a mongoloid idiot because his dick gets hard. He's just the worst spy in the world for this scene and I don't know how it paints Bond as anything but a moron.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

Especially if they've just unloaded a whole magazine through it 2 seconds ago. Feel the burn.

I like when Shoot Em' Up played off of this and had Paul GIamatti torturing someone using the blisteringly hot barrel of his gun and firing more shots to make it even hotter.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That someone was Monica Bellucci & he was torturing her by placing the hot barrel from his freshly-fired gun between her legs. :stare:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Another Daredevil IIMM related to weapons: sai are not used like a pair of knives. They're a percussive and stabbing weapon, not for slicing.

Humorously enough, one of the most accurate portrayals of sai usage is in the first live action TMNT movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

So in Goldeneye (1995) at the end Bond and the girl set down in Cuba in a deserted little meadow and start making out. Bond says there's no within 25 miles so they can bone. Immediately after a cia agent shows up and says hi. Then he calls out for marines and 20 marines surrounding them come out of camo. Also 3 helicopters immediately come into camera view. How did bond land right where the marines were? If the world was at stake, why are all these marines laying in the grass instead of going to help fight the villain? Three helicopters are flying like 20 feet above bond loud as gently caress and neither bond nor the girl notice them. ARGH

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

10 Beers posted:

Another Daredevil IIMM related to weapons: sai are not used like a pair of knives. They're a percussive and stabbing weapon, not for slicing.

Humorously enough, one of the most accurate portrayals of sai usage is in the first live action TMNT movie.

They had a good bit here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZyVtNlAog&t=120s

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

oldpainless posted:

So in Goldeneye (1995) at the end Bond and the girl set down in Cuba in a deserted little meadow and start making out. Bond says there's no within 25 miles so they can bone. Immediately after a cia agent shows up and says hi. Then he calls out for marines and 20 marines surrounding them come out of camo. Also 3 helicopters immediately come into camera view. How did bond land right where the marines were? If the world was at stake, why are all these marines laying in the grass instead of going to help fight the villain? Three helicopters are flying like 20 feet above bond loud as gently caress and neither bond nor the girl notice them. ARGH

I'm pretty sure Bond straight up rapes P Galore in Goldfinger.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Viacom already blocked it. :argh:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

10 Beers posted:

Not to be a pedant but there are stabbing and slashing sais. You could still slash someone with a stiletto sai but the margin of error is so thin that you shouldn't try.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rolo posted:

I haven't seen that movie

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rolo posted:

Yeah, he rapes the lesbian right out of her.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Febreeze posted:

One thing I liked about the X-Files is that although Scully is the scientifically minded sceptic doctor she's also religious while conspiracy theorist Mulder is an atheist who believes in literally everything supernatural and paranormal except if it if it's connected to religion. He has no problem accepting lake monsters, werewolves, vampires, golems, gargoyles, gremlins, aliens, fairies, Fiji Mermaids and what not but the very idea that a mystery might have a divine cause is just silly to him.

I mean admitedly he has actually met vampires more than once and seen his fair share of aliens but never actually seen a God. Though I'm pretty sure Millennium, which takes place in the same universe as the X-Files and even had a crossover episode, had angels and demons and poo poo in it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inzombiac posted:

Not to be a pedant but there are stabbing and slashing sais. You could still slash someone with a stiletto sai but the margin of error is so thin that you shouldn't try.

Hmm, are there? I've never seen a pair, and I've been in and out of martial arts for 20ish years. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist. It looked like hers were standard sai, but she kept slashing with them. Although on the last couple of episodes she pretty much just went stab crazy with em.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

10 Beers posted:

Hmm, are there? I've never seen a pair, and I've been in and out of martial arts for 20ish years. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist. It looked like hers were standard sai, but she kept slashing with them. Although on the last couple of episodes she pretty much just went stab crazy with em.

It's not like it'd be all that hard to make. Just pound the roundy parts flat and bing bong bing you got yourself a real slicey-stabby piece of work on your hands.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Raph was always my favorite.

Giant stick? Two swords? Stupid loving numchucks?

He was also probably the worst choice on the NES and arcade games but w/e

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Several times in the Daredevil show, both seasons, they make a point of showing Matt can hear people's heartbeats down to a point he can tell if they're lying. That's his whole shtick, he can hear REALLY well.

How the hell did he not hear Elektra sitting in his apartment right when he walked in?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Several times in the Daredevil show, both seasons, they make a point of showing Matt can hear people's heartbeats down to a point he can tell if they're lying. That's his whole shtick, he can hear REALLY well.

How the hell did he not hear Elektra sitting in his apartment right when he walked in?

Maybe she is trained like the ninjas to be super quiet and slow her heartbeat down

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Maybe she is trained like the ninjas to be super quiet and slow her heartbeat down

I mean fair enough but it still stood out to me. He did eventually realize she was there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

He was not focused on his surroundings.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

He was not focused on his surroundings.

He's currently standing on a rooftop listening to conversations going on in a room inside a building a couple hundred yards away. I can't imagine he wouldn't have noticed the heartbeat of someone sitting 10 feet away.

I get it, they need his power to work when/how they need it to, it just annoyed me.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
electra is usually like one of the top 3 assassins in the world, she's a super ninja

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elfgames posted:

electra is usually like one of the top 3 assassins in the world, she's a super ninja

I haven't seen season 2 yet but are they going full-bore with The Ronin?

Edit: Bladed sai

I think Elektra usually uses the stabbing variety but it's a universe where Death is a sexy lady skeleton that loves a character that knows he's in a comic SO WHATEVER.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Mar 21, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

no clue that's why i said usually.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's currently standing on a rooftop listening to conversations going on in a room inside a building a couple hundred yards away. I can't imagine he wouldn't have noticed the heartbeat of someone sitting 10 feet away.

I get it, they need his power to work when/how they need it to, it just annoyed me.

I thought that happened right after him and Karen got together, he was drunk, and getting drunker

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

He has to activate that power.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: Bladed sai

I think Elektra usually uses the stabbing variety but it's a universe where Death is a sexy lady skeleton that loves a character that knows he's in a comic SO WHATEVER.

It depends on who the writer and artist is. She's used both, sometimes she has a double sided sai, with a cutting blade on it (and like.. sharp razors back in the 90s.)

The striking Sai are more popular, and more available to be referenced for art and what more people think about.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Inzombiac posted:

it's a universe where Death is a sexy lady skeleton that loves a character that knows he's in a comic SO WHATEVER.

I get all my deep cut knowledge about comic books from having other people give me the cliff notes versions but are you talking about thanos? I thought while he was wild about lady death she didn't give a gently caress about him which is why he killed so many people to woo her? If there's a love triangle thing going on, who is the 4th wall breaking marvel character?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Krinkle posted:

I get all my deep cut knowledge about comic books from having other people give me the cliff notes versions but are you talking about thanos? I thought while he was wild about lady death she didn't give a gently caress about him which is why he killed so many people to woo her? If there's a love triangle thing going on, who is the 4th wall breaking marvel character?

Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I get that joke but for all I know lady death is wild about deadpool and thanos is all shaking his fist at him impotently and that's a running joke for some reason?