Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone actually have the followup on this with proof that he cleaned up his act? Whenever anyone mentions this as a success story I always wonder how much of it was actually proven and how much was just some guy claiming things on the internet to save face

He posted pictures and admitted to the whole thing being a wake up call

My favorite part was the gaming rig worth more than the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I end up reading that thread again every time its brought up and it never gets any less ridiculous.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I was watching a 'Top 5 spooky otherworldly travellers' video on Youtube this morning and this story popped up.

quote:

One of the most perplexing events of the 20th Century did not involve flying saucers, conspiracy theories, a criminal act, or even strange creature sightings. It took place on a seemingly normal day in one of the most tedious, mundane places one could imagine: Airport. Yet to this day, no one knows exactly what happened there, or why one average business traveler became the heart of an enigma largely forgotten by our modern world.

The year 1954 was hotter than normal in Tokyo, but at Haneda Airport it was business as usual. That is, of course, until one unknown date when a routine European inbound plane dropped off its passengers. As the crowd made its way through customs, a neatly-dressed middle-aged Caucasian man stepped up and told officials this was just a normal business trip or him, one of three so far this year to Japan. His primary language was French, yet he spoke Japanese and several other languages. In his wallet was a variety of currencies from various European countries, as if to verify his frequent flyer tendencies.

When they asked him for his country of origin, things became strange. He casually stated that he was from Taured, on the border between France and Spain. The officials told him that Taured didn’t exist, but he presented them with his passport—issued by the nonexistent country of Taured—which also showed visa stamps corroborating his previous business travels to Japan and other countries. Yet when they called the company he said he was having a meeting with, they had never heard of him or his company ever before that moment. The hotel he had reserved a room at had no reservation for such a person, and the bank listed on his checkbook appeared not to exist.

The bearded man scoffed; surely, this was some elaborate practical joke for his benefit. Customs officials showed him a world map and pointed to the tiny country of Andorra. Perhaps that was his real country of origin and somehow he was either mistaken or having his own little joke? The man became irate, saying that Andorra didn’t exist but it was right where Taured should be. His proud country had existed for a thousand years. Still in shock over his misplaced homeland, the mystery man was detained by customs and given a room at a nearby hotel for the night while officials tried to figure out what was going on.

The following morning, the mystery deepened. Taured’s one and only known resident completely vanished from his hotel room which had been guarded by immigration officials all night long. And to make matters worse, all of his personal documents—including his passport and drivers license issued by the mystery country—vanished from the airport’s security room. Police and airport officials searched in vain for the mysterious man. It was as if the whole encounter had never actually happened.

No documentation verifying this story has yet surfaced, but it was mentioned in several books, including The Directory of Possibilities (1981, p. 86) and Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People (1999, p. 64). And given its puzzling ending, I doubt that any official would have written up a report concluding that the man and all his documented evidence simply vanished.

http://weekinweird.com/2014/05/20/man-without-country-mystery-man-taured/

I love poo poo like this, I wonder (if it is actually real at all) what it was all about. And what that passport looked like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If that had actually happened then there would certainly be an official write-up about it somewhere. I have loved stories like that since I was a kid, like the green children of Woolpit and those time-slips people said they had into the future--there's just something so sublime about that kind of story to me--but I'm sure somebody would make a record of it if this guy had no valid travel documents and just vanished.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rondette posted:

I was watching a 'Top 5 spooky otherworldly travellers' video on Youtube this morning and this story popped up.

I love poo poo like this, I wonder (if it is actually real at all) what it was all about. And what that passport looked like.

quote:

No documentation verifying this story has yet surfaced,

I love it when they straight up tell you it's bullshit.

Officials would have kept a record, especially if they detained a guy and seized his passport. The story was probably invented for the 1981 book.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Jack Gladney posted:

If that had actually happened then there would certainly be an official write-up about it somewhere. I have loved stories like that since I was a kid, like the green children of Woolpit and those time-slips people said they had into the future--there's just something so sublime about that kind of story to me--but I'm sure somebody would make a record of it if this guy had no valid travel documents and just vanished.

In some kids book about strange and unexplained things was a story that really stuck with me. It was about a farmer who was walking across his field towards some visitors who stopped their car in front of his house. He suddenly vanished. Wife and kids screamed, the friends were baffled. They all go to the spot to see if he fell through a hole but nope. Later, where he vanished, the grass died. Then, when the kids were outside, they could hear him calling them. His voice eventually became fainter over time and stopped altogether.

The Disappearance of David Lang is the story. The story might be lifted from an Ambrose Bierce story. I believed it when I read it as a kid and it's something I sort of wish did happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That similarly stuck with me from childhood. "The Difficulty of Crossing a Field" is the Bierce story, which did come first.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jack Gladney posted:

That similarly stuck with me from childhood. "The Difficulty of Crossing a Field" is the Bierce story, which did come first.

Bierce owned; he looked, and wrote, like an evil Mark Twain. Actually, he looked like normal Mark Twain, but he was probably at least a little evil. Ambrose Bierce could support an entire "creepy" thread by himself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Appropriately enough, Bierce himself vanished off the face of the earth after he may or may not have gone to Mexico during the Mexican Revolution

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alaois posted:

Appropriately enough, Bierce himself vanished off the face of the earth after he may or may not have gone to Mexico during the Mexican Revolution

His dictionary is one of my favorite pieces of satirical writing.
http://www.thedevilsdictionary.com/

quote:

CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.

quote:

JEALOUSY, n. The seamy side of love.

quote:

UNDERSTANDING, n. A cerebral secretion that enables one having it to know a house from a horse by the roof on the house. Its nature and laws have been exhaustively expounded by Locke, who rode a house, and Kant, who lived in a horse.

His understanding was so keen
That all things which he'd felt, heard, seen,
He could interpret without fail
If he was in or out of jail.
He wrote at Inspiration's call
Deep disquisitions on them all,
Then, pent at last in an asylum,
Performed the service to compile 'em.
So great a writer, all men swore,
They never had not read before.
—Jorrock Wormley

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

bean_shadow posted:

The Disappearance of David Lang is the story. The story might be lifted from an Ambrose Bierce story. I believed it when I read it as a kid and it's something I sort of wish did happen.

Dave Lang, unfortunately, will never disappear.

e: Just so this isn't a stupid post, :nms: Experiments in the Revival of Organisms. A messed up Soviet film showing attempted living canine head transplants, among other things. :nms: The page's picture makes me a little uncomfy, and it includes the film in question, so better safe than sorry.

Bogart has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Mar 17, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Bogart posted:

Dave Lang, unfortunately, will never disappear.

e: Just so this isn't a stupid post, :nms: Experiments in the Revival of Organisms. A messed up Soviet film showing attempted living canine head transplants, among other things. :nms: The page's picture makes me a little uncomfy, and it includes the film in question, so better safe than sorry.

Do we know for certainty that this happened or was it clever Soviet propaganda? For example it says:

quote:

For example, at one point, the dog turns his head, which would be impossible if the head was cut where the video claims it was.[1]

It was good special effects if it was fake. Similarly:

Robert J. White a guy who actually did transplant a monkey's head onto a new body. The monkey survived for nine days. When it woke up it could hear and see, but paralyzed from the neck down, and it was PISSED. It screamed and tried to bite anybody that came near.

ETA: Head transplant. Apparently some guy is claiming to start experimenting on a guy who wants to donate his head by 2017.

quote:

In 2015, Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero has said the procedure (head anastomosis venture) might be feasible – with improved technology and more accurate ability to keep neural tissue perfused – before the end of 2017, which is when he intends to perform the procedure in either the United States or China.[12][13] A 30-year-old Russian programmer Valery Spiridonov with Werdnig–Hoffmann disease (type I spinal muscular atrophy) and rapidly declining health has volunteered to offer his head for the study.[14]

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Mar 17, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Rondette posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an SCP article. They just removed the containment information.

Today I found out that a meme can hurt you. As information on allergies to peanuts became more common, more people become allergic to them - probably because the advice to keep babies from eating peanuts is all wrong, so keeping babies from eating peanuts, causes babies to get allergic reactions to them instead. It all sounds like a SCP that's broken containment.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bean_shadow posted:

It was good special effects if it was fake.

It's fake. Well done, but fake nonetheless.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an SCP article. They just removed the containment information.

Nah, the "Man from Taured" anecdote predates the SCP article, which is an adaptation of the basic idea. I can't find the link I was looking for, but the story itself came from a relatively recent book that was basically an assemblage of weird possibilities or odd thoughts, and there's absolutely no proof for it ever having happened.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mocking Bird posted:

it's my job to work with parents and guardians to make them into good enough caregivers that those kids can have that family.

My sister did this in the South side of Chicago for years. She would spend part of her poo poo salary buying winter clothes for the kids because the dirtbag parents wouldn't. It's bad everywhere.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

shelley posted:

Nah, the "Man from Taured" anecdote predates the SCP article, which is an adaptation of the basic idea. I can't find the link I was looking for, but the story itself came from a relatively recent book that was basically an assemblage of weird possibilities or odd thoughts, and there's absolutely no proof for it ever having happened.

The Directory of Possibilities, by Colin Wilson and John Grant, published in 1981.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EX250 Type R posted:

What kind of backwards rear end place puts a statute of limitations on murder

It's a civil law thing.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
rikki tikki tavi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzGiZzfZjZc

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone actually have the followup on this with proof that he cleaned up his act? Whenever anyone mentions this as a success story I always wonder how much of it was actually proven and how much was just some guy claiming things on the internet to save face
CPS gave back my kids: turns out I was a bad parent.
OP has links to a few pictures of the cleaned-up house.

I'm making an SAclopedia entry for this because nobody ever seems to have a link to the follow up http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2593

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Mar 19, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

The Mentalizer posted:

Hey, we had our very own CPS success story right here on SA. I'm pretty sure the original thread was this one: CPS Took my kids this morning: Do I have a legal leg to stand on? Basically, his 5 year old daughter was used to taking care of herself and accidentally went to school on a Sunday, where some people found her and called the cops because she was by herself. When they went to the house it was such a disaster that they called CPS, who took one look at the place and immediately pulled the kids out of there. I can't find the follow up thread, but he really busted his rear end to clean up his act and eventually got them back. If I'm not mistaken he kept it up, so it's a genuine E/N success story. It also ended up being a great comic in that 'let's draw E/N stories' thread in GBS from a couple of years back.

Only problem with this is the picture links are dead :( I guess he deleted them, I know I saw them when the thread was first posted. Is there any way to retrieve/find them?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FourLeaf posted:

Is there any way to retrieve/find them?

Trust me, you don't want that. :barf:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Don't remember if this was posted or not and not about to dive through 193 pages to double check -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1634584.stm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Fandey

From Wiki:
Maznah Ismail (1 January 1956 - 2 November 2001), better known as Mona Fandey, was a pop singer, witch doctor, and a murderer from Malaysia. She was executed on 2 November 2001 at the age of 45, after being convicted of the murder of a politician, Mazlan Idris, in 1993.

She didn't just murder the guy, she loving dismembered him

Mona Fandey scares the poo poo out of me.
Her eyes were terrifyingly blank and she had the smile of a goddamn predator.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Plethora posted:

Don't remember if this was posted or not and not about to dive through 193 pages to double check -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1634584.stm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Fandey

From Wiki:
Maznah Ismail (1 January 1956 - 2 November 2001), better known as Mona Fandey, was a pop singer, witch doctor, and a murderer from Malaysia. She was executed on 2 November 2001 at the age of 45, after being convicted of the murder of a politician, Mazlan Idris, in 1993.

She didn't just murder the guy, she loving dismembered him

Mona Fandey scares the poo poo out of me.
Her eyes were terrifyingly blank and she had the smile of a goddamn predator.

Yikes. Malaysia abolished trials by jury as a result of her case.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Christ her face looks like a mask

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Rondette posted:

Reminds me of the silliness surrounding NSK passports:

http://divus.cc/london/en/article/the-nigerian-connection-on-nsk-passports-as-escape-and-entry-vehicles

*cue Laibach*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've had muscle biopsies taken before, and it's not something I want to do ever again if I can avoid it. This video makes me all kinds of uncomfortable. My biopsies were done for science, this dude is getting one to find out what human flesh tastes like. And there is no loving way he was walking normally without wincing for about a week after having it done.

:nms: warning, they show the entire procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvg8AR81-8

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Mar 20, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I've had muscle biopsies taken before, and it's not something I want to do ever again if I can avoid it. This video makes me all kinds of uncomfortable. My biopsies were done for science, this dude is getting one to find out what human flesh tastes like. And there is no loving way he was walking normally without wincing for about a week after having it done.

:nms: warning, they show the entire procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvg8AR81-8

Ehhh not really inclined to watch it.. What did it taste like?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mostly red meat, with a hint of chicken, apparently. Pretty tasty, too.

He doesn't actually eat his own flesh, because that's illegal. However, he does make a burger from mixed meats, based on analysis of it. He also takes a long good whiff of his own cooked flesh before that.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Mar 20, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Spider Covets posted:

Christ her face looks like a mask

She used the money she took from her victim to have a facelift.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jedit posted:

She used the money she took from her victim to have a facelift.

I can't tell if you're joking.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

KozmoNaut posted:

He doesn't actually eat his own flesh, because that's illegal. However, he does make a burger from mixed meats, based on analysis of it. He also takes a long good whiff of his own cooked flesh before that.

Wait, why is illegal to eat your own flesh?

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I can't tell if you're joking.

From the wiki article: "Mazlan was reported missing on 2 July 1993 after withdrawing RM 300,000 from a bank. After the murder, Mona was reported to have been on a shopping spree where she bought a Mercedes-Benz and had a facelift"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

13Pandora13 posted:

I dunno, but that's what he says in the video.

The medical term is "autophagia", if you want to look it up.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

fistful of hammers posted:

From the wiki article: "Mazlan was reported missing on 2 July 1993 after withdrawing RM 300,000 from a bank. After the murder, Mona was reported to have been on a shopping spree where she bought a Mercedes-Benz and had a facelift"

That explains why photos of her before the trial show her not looking anywhere near as uncanny. She seemed pretty normal.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
"The three were given a last meal of KFC on the night before their execution."

Now that's just mean.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Facebook feed sent me a listicle site article. 24 Medical Workers Share The Weirdest Causes Of Death They've Ever Diagnosed. Surprisingly low-spam for a listicle site. Some choice examples:

quote:

15/24 A man went to hang himself and when he jumped off of his apartment balcony he left so much slack that it took his head off. His head was on one lady's balcony and his body was on the ground. When we were there, we couldn't find the head so we had to knock on a couple doors where the rope was hanging to in order to find it.

quote:

22/24 Man died from endometrial cancer. Man had a transplant prior, woman who gave transplant had metastatic cancer that had spread to said organ unknowingly. Man survived transplant but cancer cells from the transplanted organ populated and he ending up dying from HER cancer.

quote:

24/24 Bee sting to the inside of the lung. A woman accidentally inhaled a bee and it stung her. Apparently she was allergic. Took a week to figure it out.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

quote:

22/24 Man died from endometrial cancer. Man had a transplant prior, woman who gave transplant had metastatic cancer that had spread to said organ unknowingly. Man survived transplant but cancer cells from the transplanted organ populated and he ending up dying from HER cancer.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not technically illegal to eat your own flesh if you're so inclined. I suspect it is highly illegal to remove flesh from someone for the purpose of human consumption, which would make it very illegal for the hospital to perform the procedure. Presumably he wanted the removal done safely and not in a bathroom with a knife, sot hats why he picked the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

[spoiler]He doesn't actually eat his own flesh, because that's illegal.

Bullshit. I find it far more likely that nobody else in that video was going to participate unless he promised not to eat it.

Also, read Stephen King's short story "Survivor Type."