Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

not going to lie anyone who uses sandi's credentials, ben's weight, or any of that other tangential horseshit as a reason to hate sc is missing out

there's so much more about the "game" itself and the business practices surrounding it that any of that other stuff is footnotes at best and distractions at worst

"here is a list of 20 things wrong with the game"

"well, 1 of them is sandi's credentials and that's dumb so the other 19 aren't worth replying to :smug:"

Quite. I'd have thought the fact people from CIG have openly said there is no roadmap for the game should be the big problem. All that's happening is that different groups of programmers and artists are doing unconnected stuff. Chris Roberts regularly walks through, waves his hands around like an orchestra conductor being attacked by bees and says "Do it all again." Then every so often they bodge everything together into one mass and make the whales download the mess under the guise of looking for feedback. If the fact that this is how the game is being "developed" isn't enough to put someone off, there is no point trying to discuss the matter with them.

edit: Crap, new page. Haven't got a cat picture, but how about a panther being spotted near where I live?

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
If you guys want to get an idea of how all these 14 companies that are involved with Star Citizen are going to be taken apart, watch this:

https://youtu.be/xOOlsCWzItI?t=607

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ShredsYouSay posted:

pgabz can you make a dash cam video of you parking your audi in a tree, and overlay PARKNIG SUCCESFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6bHMMX9-4

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hi peter

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hello

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

see at least you are considerate.

Dr Smart still has not addressed my concerns about his residential situation in regards to global warming.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SneakyFrog posted:

see at least you are considerate.

Dr Smart still has not addressed my concerns about his residential situation in regards to global warming.

Derek secretly hates the ozone layer I think

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peter gabriel posted:

Derek secretly hates the ozone layer I think

derek in the cover of darkness with 200 cases of aqua net extra strength

" gently caress YOU OZONE"

*sprays manically deriving a weird sexual satisfaction as evidenced by this weird creepy facial expression*

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-14928-PTU_2_3_0_Crashing_within_5_minutes_of_play_everytime

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Holy poo poo, this Dangerous Analysis guy is great! It's a shame that the acronym is the same as DeviantArt.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hello sir, I would like to report bugs.

Reproduction steps: Play the game

What I expected: No bugs.

Please fix tia

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GLADIATOR READY!

CONTESTANT READY!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SirPhoebos posted:

Holy poo poo, this Dangerous Analysis guy is great! It's a shame that the acronym is the same as DeviantArt.

Two or three videos ago he said he was going to do a video specifically on Star Citizen. About a month ago he said he was putting it off because the situation was too convoluted and other topics were getting him more views. I am still anticipating his Star Citizen video, which I imagine will be coming at some point, possibly after everything falls apart.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chalks posted:

Hello sir, I would like to report bugs.

Reproduction steps: Play the game

What I expected: No bugs.

Please fix tia

thanks for your report commando, this should be fixed in approximately two weeks o9

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

If you guys want to get an idea of how all these 14 companies that are involved with Star Citizen are going to be taken apart, watch this:

https://youtu.be/xOOlsCWzItI?t=607

This is like watching someone who just found out how to search government databases and do a whois search suddenly pretend they're some kind of investigative wizard. He's fantastically wrong about everything he's talking about. Also, he's eating his microphone.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bushiz posted:

This is like watching someone who just found out how to search government databases and do a whois search suddenly pretend they're some kind of investigative wizard. He's fantastically wrong about everything he's talking about. Also, he's eating his microphone.

you're a clueless fool. clearly.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

In practice, sure, that's probably how it will play out. However, it's still something that CIG has to stay clear of: if you use KS, you have to deliver at least the pledge rewards, or Bad Things will happen. Some of the Bad Things will mean that CIG will be liable for a whole lot of stuff they can't afford, not including all the bad PR that would ensue.

As such, even if by the slimmest or technical margin possible, they will ensure they don't stand in front of that particular train, because there is a pretty clear point where it will be KS' problem and they'll take action to protect their own brand. It's not likely that KS would take up the sword for the backers, no — conceivable, yes, but in practice not very likely — but that all changes if and when it's KS' own business that starts getting hit. Piss them off enough, and the protections CIG have erected against their backers will not be enough.

Kickstarter has zero control over the actions of CIG since the kickstarter ended. The only time they ever had any control over CIG was when CIG was using their marketplace and that agreement was basically just for the use of the kickstarter site during the active period. Any hand waving "be nice and deliver when you say you will" statements that CIG agreed to about delivery don't mean anything as kickstarter have no motive to try and enforce them with no skin involved in the contracts made between CIG and the backers. I'm at a loss as to how to make this any clearer. There are no Bad Things that kickstarter can do to them and zero reason for kickstarter to do them if they even existed, they have no enforcement powers over CIG at all so any action would involve legal costs for something that won't make kickstarter any money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Two or three videos ago he said he was going to do a video specifically on Star Citizen. About a month ago he said he was putting it off because the situation was too convoluted and other topics were getting him more views. I am still anticipating his Star Citizen video, which I imagine will be coming at some point, possibly after everything falls apart.

Warning signs in nature:

Class I. Having a forensic accountant take an interest in your business dealings and structure because it seems like an interesting case study and he likes to dissect such structures for fun. → Things might turn ugly.
Class II. Having a forensic accountant shy away from your business dealings and structure because they're just too complex. → Things will definitely get ugly, and soon.
Class III. Gamma ray burst. → Nothing will be left to be classified as ugly.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Gotta justify your jpegs by size
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6477447/#Comment_6477447

Hull E $550 / 372m = $1.48 per meter
Blade $250 / 15m = $16.67 per meter
Idris $1250 / 238.5m = $5.24 per meter
Andromeda $225 / 61m = $3.69 per meter
Banu MM $250 / 100m = $2.50 per meter
Freelancer $110 / 32m = $3.44 per meter
Sabre $170 / 26m = $6.54 per meter
Hornet $110 / 22.5m = $4.89 per meter
Avenger $60 / 19m = $3.16 per meter
Gladius $90 / 20m = $4.50 per meter
Cultass $100 / 29m = $3.49 per meter
Redeemer $250 / 37.5m = $6.66 per meter
M50 $100 / 11m = $9.09 per meter
350R $125 / 24m = $5.20 per meter
Vanguard $250 / 37m = $6.76 per meter
300I $55 / 24m = $2.29 per meter
890J $650 / 123m = 5.28 per meter
Gladiator $165 / 22m = $7.50 per meter

"Find it easier to rationalize if I look at this way
So with a Hull E and a Banu MM I spent $1.69 per meter, got 472 meters in total and spent $800 which works out pretty good value when you compare with other ships."

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sunswipe posted:

Quite. I'd have thought the fact people from CIG have openly said there is no roadmap for the game should be the big problem. All that's happening is that different groups of programmers and artists are doing unconnected stuff. Chris Roberts regularly walks through, waves his hands around like an orchestra conductor being attacked by bees and says "Do it all again." Then every so often they bodge everything together into one mass and make the whales download the mess under the guise of looking for feedback. If the fact that this is how the game is being "developed" isn't enough to put someone off, there is no point trying to discuss the matter with them.

This is a great point, and can't be said enough. With a project as big as SC, you need to have clearly defined milestones, reliable project management that's constantly assessing progress vs. the plan, really great communication and productivity tools, and very diligent leadership that empowers talented employees to work efficiently towards milestones without micro-managing them.

CIG has NONE of these things. But that's not because they can't hire the right people. Although it's almost unfathomable, they actually see those basic tenets of running a large tech company as problems! They are, in fact, ideologically opposed to the very idea of project management. I wouldn't even loving believe it but I've seen that opposition repeatedly from the horse's mouth.

But there's an even bigger problem, and it's one I see in small companies and start-ups a lot. Even if you have all the right people, management, tools, etc, you still need a brilliant leader who is a subject matter expert, is able to predict future market trends, and has an impeccable record of not only seeing clearly what needs to be done, but running an organization that can effectively execute that vision faster than competitors. It doesn't matter how good your team is if you're building a bad idea.

Instead of a leader with even the tiniest modicum of competence, CIG has Chris Roberts, the undisputed champion of over-promising and under-delivering, who hasn't been "right" for decades, and poisons everything he gets his flapping hands on.

I think it would be an arduous but enlightening exercise to catalog every commitment he's publicly made since this dumpster fire started, and show just how many of them he has actually delivered on time. THAT is the kind of poo poo that quickly dismantles the fantasia over on reddit and RSI forums.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MeLKoR posted:

Will Star Plebeian have procedurally generated physics grids?

If by "procedurally generated" you mean using some sort of process to create in-game a physics grids, and by "physics grids" you mean one global physics environment in which game objects abide by the laws of physics, then yes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godmode Enabled posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6477447/#Comment_6477447

So with a Hull E and a Banu MM I spent $1.69 per meter, got 472 meters in total and spent $800 which works out pretty good value when you compare with other ships."

Starfarer was quite the deal...90M or so for $185.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
can i just buy 1m of a ship for 5 bucks ? that's all i want.

space raft.

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS
Two Culture knife missiles please

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toops posted:

If by "procedurally generated" you mean using some sort of process to create in-game a physics grids, and by "physics grids" you mean one global physics environment in which game objects abide by the laws of physics, then yes.

Skip the grid part and just implement procedurally generated physics.

As in, every time you load an instance, an algorithm produces new laws of physics that will govern that instance. So today, F=Ve — as you apply force to the ship, it will expand its volume in the same direction while maintaining the same state of energy as some kind of horrid space-shoggoth. Or maybe a=ω/m² — the more massive your ship, the more you have to cork-screw it to create acceleration.

It'll still be more consistent and logical than the physics of some of the competition…

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

MeLKoR posted:

Please don't hate me guys. :qq:

lol..that guy...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Star Citizen Underground 2 is great.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tippis posted:

As in, every time you load an instance, an algorithm produces new laws of physics that will govern that instance. So today, F=Ve — as you apply force to the ship, it will expand its volume in the same direction while maintaining the same state of energy as some kind of horrid space-shoggoth. Or maybe a=ω/m² — the more massive your ship, the more you have to cork-screw it to create acceleration.

It'll still be more consistent and logical than the physics of some of the competition…

This seems like a very good idea. Cutting edge.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sundowner posted:

i'm watching that ATV episode about the new starfarer ship and you know... fuckin' sucks that a ship that cool looking (barring the cockpit) is in a monstrosity of a game that will never see the light of day.

i love a good space ship and one thing a lot of space games so far don't do is sell you on how fackin big your ships are. in Elite, granted the biggest ship i've flown is the Clipper, you're still squashed in a tiny little cockpit bubble at the nose or dorsal position on the ship. the starfarer looks like it has a huge cockpit space unfortunately betrayed by the dumb front window but god drat it looks huge.

i think Elite really needs to get some sort of first person functionality in, walking around the bridge that's behind your pilot chair and walking around hangars when docked could do a lot to sell the scale. like the Type 9 is a big fuckin' ship but because it fits through the same sized mailslot as every other ship, it ultimately doesn't feel too much bigger than sitting in an Asp Scout because of the way they've implemented the pilots chair and cockpit stuff.

Came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eyqhotqu0
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4b4fj0/walking_around_an_anaconda_bridgeroomscale_vr_in/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tippis posted:

Ahaha, I actually want a game that does that now.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

time to crashes tripling every second.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Tippis posted:

I need this in my life. It'd be incomprehensible insanity but it has potential just to see what happens. Today going left accelerates time, while turning right causes your ships to violently distend along the Z-axis. Tomorrow, while not in combat, my ship takes damage that increments exponentially every second and violent pitch-changes are the only way to keep the insides inside. Glorious.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

It's true

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Godmode Enabled posted:

:negative:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

time to crashes tripling every second.

Such FUD, typical of a Goonie. The time to crashes is *halving* every second.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I am the FUD.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjWqFve1KrA

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I am the exposed gap between the spacesuit and the helmet.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Thoatse posted:

I am the exposed gap between the spacesuit and the helmet.

I am the pilot butt going emerging from the bottom of the seat.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKr0_QkNVZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0nXwyOyww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

yeah i've seen videos like it, it certainly lends credence to the fact that being able to walk around the ship already exemplifies the scale really well.

you see what i mean though that you are stuck in a chair at a little console stuff right in front of the window of the ship? there's no captains chair or bridge (and when there is, it's stuck behind you generally out of view)

• Locked thread