Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D3 is the best its ever been excluding the DH nerfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Yo what's wrong with Diablo 3?

I haven't played much since season 3 (maybe two? I don't loving know) but it was pretty dang good then.

Ultra-repetitive sound effects, game has naturally fallen a long way behind pretty much anything else in the genre, simply isn't that fun anymore.

Warcraft 3 is still better than most RTS games that have come out since then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Yo what's wrong with Diablo 3?

I haven't played much since season 3 (maybe two? I don't loving know) but it was pretty dang good then.

I tried playing it again recently (last time I played it was when the Reaper expansion came out), and I feel like I can better convey my feelings on why it's so bad.

It is linear to the point of being suffocating. Your character's stats are all automated, so you don't get to customize how your character grows. While that sounds great in theory (Yay I won't gently caress myself over by putting stat points in the wrong place!), you lose the investment over your character that you used to have in the previous installments, and you no longer get a say in how your character advances as you level.

But wait, what about skills! You can customize those! Except that sucks and is linear too. Roughly every level, you unlock a new skill or variant of an old skill. Instead of building up a select arsenal of skills that fit your play style with a character, the game basically tells you "This skill is better than the one you were using. Use this one now." up to a certain point, after which you will just start unlocking skills you will probably consider absolutely useless. You never feel like you're building a character tailored to your play style, but just doing what the game is making you do. I also never fully properly grasp how many damage anything is going to do until I use it because the game doesn't tell you anywhere. Like they couldn't say "This attack will do X amount of damage with your current stats." instead of me loving around in combat to find out? I dunno maybe it does somewhere but I never ever found a way.

Shops are completely worthless. Maybe it's because of the new loot system but you will never ever find anything to buy or craft that is better than what you are picking up off the ground. Maybe that changes when you are completely maxed out on levels, but when going through the game and building up a character, you will never ever have a use for anything in town, ever. In previous games I used to buy poo poo in town all the time because finding good poo poo from drops was kinda special. But now either everything is special or nothing is, depending how you look at it. You are fighting special monsters every few seconds and are swimming in rares and it just doesn't loving stop. There's just so many item drops and you're always upgrading your equipment from random poo poo laying on the ground and I've never ever bothered to learn any of the prefixes and suffixes in this game because none of it loving matters because I just look for the green numbers and slap it on for the five minutes until I find another new special item. I still know what a King's Sword of Haste is but I will never know what any item in this game is because none of it matters.

But back to it the game being linear. The mission progression. While the maps can be pretty big (too big, really. Way too much open space filled with way too many monsters), you are always headed in one direction almost always. While Diablo 1 was pretty straightforward in its "always going down" mission, Diablo 2 could sprawl out a bit and have you head to a few different areas and you could check out a few stray dungeons and do sub-missions and even some missions in the order or your choosing. But in this game you're always being pushed to follow the story and go to specific locations in a specific order, and with the story being so overbearing you feel like the game is always checking in on your to make sure you're staying on the task. Each mission is broken up into multiple parts because of it.

But once you finally get through all of that and beat the game you can challenge yourself on a harder difficu- oh wait they removed that now. You can immediately scale difficulties however you want at any point. I guess what you do after beating the story mode is the thing where you replay missions for bounties and then spend bounties for new items? And then... you can be even stronger while you replay the same missions you already beat a bunch of times? Or something?

So in short they took control and customization away from the player and made it into a dumb mindless skinner box.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also they replaced the hilariously 90s Necromancer class with a racist stereotype from the 1930s.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jamesman posted:

I tried playing it again recently (last time I played it was when the Reaper expansion came out), and I feel like I can better convey my feelings on why it's so bad.

It is linear to the point of being suffocating. Your character's stats are all automated, so you don't get to customize how your character grows. While that sounds great in theory (Yay I won't gently caress myself over by putting stat points in the wrong place!), you lose the investment over your character that you used to have in the previous installments, and you no longer get a say in how your character advances as you level.

But wait, what about skills! You can customize those! Except that sucks and is linear too. Roughly every level, you unlock a new skill or variant of an old skill. Instead of building up a select arsenal of skills that fit your play style with a character, the game basically tells you "This skill is better than the one you were using. Use this one now." up to a certain point, after which you will just start unlocking skills you will probably consider absolutely useless. You never feel like you're building a character tailored to your play style, but just doing what the game is making you do. I also never fully properly grasp how many damage anything is going to do until I use it because the game doesn't tell you anywhere. Like they couldn't say "This attack will do X amount of damage with your current stats." instead of me loving around in combat to find out? I dunno maybe it does somewhere but I never ever found a way.

Shops are completely worthless. Maybe it's because of the new loot system but you will never ever find anything to buy or craft that is better than what you are picking up off the ground. Maybe that changes when you are completely maxed out on levels, but when going through the game and building up a character, you will never ever have a use for anything in town, ever. In previous games I used to buy poo poo in town all the time because finding good poo poo from drops was kinda special. But now either everything is special or nothing is, depending how you look at it. You are fighting special monsters every few seconds and are swimming in rares and it just doesn't loving stop. There's just so many item drops and you're always upgrading your equipment from random poo poo laying on the ground and I've never ever bothered to learn any of the prefixes and suffixes in this game because none of it loving matters because I just look for the green numbers and slap it on for the five minutes until I find another new special item. I still know what a King's Sword of Haste is but I will never know what any item in this game is because none of it matters.

But back to it the game being linear. The mission progression. While the maps can be pretty big (too big, really. Way too much open space filled with way too many monsters), you are always headed in one direction almost always. While Diablo 1 was pretty straightforward in its "always going down" mission, Diablo 2 could sprawl out a bit and have you head to a few different areas and you could check out a few stray dungeons and do sub-missions and even some missions in the order or your choosing. But in this game you're always being pushed to follow the story and go to specific locations in a specific order, and with the story being so overbearing you feel like the game is always checking in on your to make sure you're staying on the task. Each mission is broken up into multiple parts because of it.

But once you finally get through all of that and beat the game you can challenge yourself on a harder difficu- oh wait they removed that now. You can immediately scale difficulties however you want at any point. I guess what you do after beating the story mode is the thing where you replay missions for bounties and then spend bounties for new items? And then... you can be even stronger while you replay the same missions you already beat a bunch of times? Or something?

So in short they took control and customization away from the player and made it into a dumb mindless skinner box.

This doesn't really touch on the endgame introduced over the last two years. And all of these games are mindless skinner boxes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uh pretty much every vendor item was trash in the Diablo games unless it was from the gambling vendor or whatever.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Here is a new TV spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlGM6ikW0U

The CGI looks better than the first trailer but it might be the editing or the alcohol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has Blizzard announced any exclusive mounts or Hearthstone card backs or something that you can get with tickets?

I miss when movies did those sorts of promotions. Every Pokémon movie ticket came with a rad awesome exclusive card like Ancient Mew!

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Steve2911 posted:

Has Blizzard announced any exclusive mounts or Hearthstone card backs or something that you can get with tickets?

I miss when movies did those sorts of promotions. Every Pokémon movie ticket came with a rad awesome exclusive card like Ancient Mew!

Watch the tie in be a Orc piggyback ride mount for HOTS/WoW.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Steve2911 posted:

I will not see this movie unless I get a Dragonite card IMO.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

Also they replaced the hilariously 90s Necromancer class with a racist stereotype from the 1930s.

They what? Necromancers were the best, god drat!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ultra-repetitive sound effects, game has naturally fallen a long way behind pretty much anything else in the genre, simply isn't that fun anymore.

Warcraft 3 is still better than most RTS games that have come out since then.

Also, clearly I mistyped when I said Diablo 3; meant 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also, clearly I mistyped when I said Diablo 3; meant 2.

Oh right, I didn't realise.

I agree. It doesn't hold up even a little bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

They what? Necromancers were the best, god drat!

they also removed my favorite class (paladin, i had to play a lovely russian monk instead) and the story is loving rear end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

they also removed my favorite class (paladin, i had to play a lovely russian monk instead) and the story is loving rear end.

Crusader is basically paladin and while the story is still rear end, the game is great now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's white.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finally got a chance to see the second trailer and this movie still does not look good at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Should have called it Civil Warcraft: Orcs v. Humans.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Metzen's writing has always been my least favorite thing about the Warcraft games and I'll be damned if I give him any validation by buying a ticket to this in theaters, ILM or no.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I know this is supposed to be the original story, but I really want to see more races than orc and human.
And I just don't buy that in any universe a human can hold his own in combat against a loving orc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

remigious posted:

I know this is supposed to be the original story, but I really want to see more races than orc and human.

I'm pretty sure there's a dwarf in the latest trailer

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remigious posted:

And I just don't buy that in any universe a human can hold his own in combat against a loving orc.

i'd have no problem with it being orcs and humans if they made it have the style and tone of the better old games and not being super serious with the look of world of warcraft.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Here is a new TV spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlGM6ikW0U

The CGI looks better than the first trailer but it might be the editing or the alcohol

Lothar and Khadgar don't look like movie stars. Every scene with them in it looks like some lovely low budget TV show on the Syfy channel.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

being super serious with the look of world of warcraft.

Uh have you played wow?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'd have no problem with it being orcs and humans if they made it have the style and tone of the better old games and not being super serious with the look of world of warcraft.

I think you have it in reverse. Warcraft II had a cutscene with bodies hanging from a tree and then being set on fire. Warcraft III had a mission where you have to set a whole town on fire with people trapped in the buildings. The games had a cartoony aesthetic but still a serious tone throughout. World of Warcraft has no such serious tone.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a dwarf in the latest trailer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is that Iron Forge or Stormwind? I know the interior of Iron Forge was shown in the concept art for this movie and I wonder if it made it in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

Uh have you played wow?

oh sorry i didn';t mean wow has a serious tone i just meant the look.

I said come in! posted:

I think you have it in reverse. Warcraft II had a cutscene with bodies hanging from a tree and then being set on fire. Warcraft III had a mission where you have to set a whole town on fire with people trapped in the buildings. The games had a cartoony aesthetic but still a serious tone throughout. World of Warcraft has no such serious tone.

listen to the intro to any loving orc mission in wc2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Part of the issue with this movie is that the CG characters are made in the Warcraft aesthetic, which is deliberately cartoonish, and yet they used live action humans. The result is not impressive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

listen to the intro to any loving orc mission in wc2.

Hahahaha okay I see your point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Ky4gpY4uQ I don't remember this at all, its been so long.

Part of the issue with this movie is that the CG characters are made in the Warcraft aesthetic, which is deliberately cartoonish, and yet they used live action humans. The result is not impressive.

Some of the human actors look like they have no idea what they are looking at because the whole set was most likely a green screen.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Some of the human actors look like they have no idea what they are looking at because the whole set was most likely a green screen.

Yeah just a little bit

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If nothing else, the movie might give us some good SMG posts. Either because he will find some thematic value in the "real" humans looking lost among all that cartoony stuff, or because the movie is a dumpster fire based on the nerdiest source. Possibly both.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

If nothing else, the movie might give us some good SMG posts. Either because he will find some thematic value in the "real" humans looking lost among all that cartoony stuff, or because the movie is a dumpster fire based on the nerdiest source. Possibly both.

More screen caps with lines on them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah just a little bit

Yeah I had almost forgotten the humans are wearing CG clothing to make the effect even more jarring.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

More screen caps with lines on them.

I doubt anyone would need those lines to see how loving ugly the movie is. Or maybe the true challenge will lie in proving that Warcraft is actually gorgeous, who knows? All I know is that I'm looking forward to that more than I'm looking forward to the actual movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

remigious posted:

Humans r faster and have better tactics.

Although it made a lot more sense in the old games when orcs were basically brutish imbeciles instead of noble savages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

I doubt anyone would need those lines to see how loving ugly the movie is. Or maybe the true challenge will lie in proving that Warcraft is actually gorgeous, who knows? All I know is that I'm looking forward to that more than I'm looking forward to the actual movie.

the bizarre thing is the posts about avengers were his best but then he'll defend movies with not only awful content but awful shot composition. i'll be shocked if there isn't a overly long lovely defense of this movie.

I said come in! posted:

Hahahaha okay I see your point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Ky4gpY4uQ I don't remember this at all, its been so long.

yeah the orcs back then were more like the goofy warhammer orcs than the noble savages they are now (due to i'm assuming a series of dumb as poo poo retcons by metzen).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the bizarre thing is the posts about avengers were his best but then he'll defend movies with not only awful content but awful shot composition. i'll be shocked if there isn't a overly long lovely defense of this movie.

I'd be interested in any kind of alternative and possibly redemptive reading for this movie because it looks like the movie sure as hell needs one. Ideally one that works in the phrase "Warcraft fans don't really like Warcraft."

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCkPKAncFY

Movie status: Confirmed poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

woah.

• Locked thread