Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Tsaedje posted:

E: also what happens when it's wet/dirty, do they install wipers?

there's already technology that coats the windscreen with water/bug repellent that it's used in fighter jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

El Hefe posted:

there's already technology that coats the windscreen with water/bug repellent that it's used in fighter jets

It will be fun to see the drivers chop a potato in half and then wipe the slimy part on their windscreen at the beginning of every race.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

the only thing i hate is the idea of a competition involving the drivers and teams who perform best being artificially handicapped. that defeats the point of a competition and is indefensibly stupid.

Sports car racing is also very competitive and yet no one watches it. It's almost like there has to be entertainment value to get people to watch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Sports car racing is also very competitive and yet no one watches it. It's almost like there has to be entertainment value to get people to watch.

what in the world could possibly be your point? you've said nothing that changes the undeniable fact that handicapping good teams undermines the entire point of a competition. go away.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only problem with that is that the FIA tested the ordinary material they intend to use by firing a tyre at it in 2011. It's shattered into a hundred neck slashing shards. The jet fighter canopy they tested just shrugged the tyre off like it was nothing due to both the material used and the shape. Please have mercy and youtube FIA canopy test instead of picking that post apart, I got up at 4am UK time after 3 hours of sleep to watch quali live and can no longer feel my face.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Hefe posted:

What? RainX and Going Really Fast?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Also please refer to the loving repetitive and boring discussion regarding this in the off season thread!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fighter jet canopies have transparent metal coatings that can be heated to prevent fogging so yeah i think they can handle rain and bugs

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
The new quali format definitely made earlier qualifying more interesting and once the teams understand the strategy and perhaps with a slightly larger window I think it'll lead to many more of the kind of stuff we saw from Jolyon Palmer - the tension of a last lap of a session and whether they'll make it or not, but spread out across the whole thing. Especially worth it for seeing the teams scrambling against each other at the start of Q1. DIdn't work at all for Q3. It would be immeasurably improved with the new format for Q1, Q2, then reverting to fastest first for Q3.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I think that format could work if they made it one session instead of three sessions. It's a big if though. Overall that was really dumb and funny.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only reason it is split into 3 sessions is because the previous attempt to make qualifying interesting had three sessions.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm not going to claim to know the answer...but Q2 and Q3 were poo poo. Q1 was entertaining. But the format as a whole is terrible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

daslog posted:

You just hate everything.

Think about what you're suggesting, and then think about the sport you're suggesting it for. F1, a sport where teams work out to the hundreth of a second how fast a car can go to maximise tyre and fuel life while maintaining decent lap speed. Now imagine what will happen if teams know theres a reverse grid. It won't be a battle to win, it will be a battle to finish in the mathematically highest point scoring spot that will leave them the best chance in the next race.

You'd see cars deliberately slowing down to finish 5th or something, with people refusing to overtake each other. Its a stupid idea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
ooh politics afoot. Bernie Bernied this and played the team principles like a cheap drum.

This is how this meeting went according to Lauder who wasn't supposed to be there and probably won't be invited again .

1. Bernie and Todt tell them that the reverse grid is going to happen.
2. Team principles don't like it. Apart from loving Horner who sticks his hand up and goes "I like it hahaha!"
3. Bernie Todt and Charlie say "well what about this shootout ideas of ours instead then?" it's one or the other, pick now.
4. Shootout thing gets voted for.
5. Ferrari tried to Ferrari it so it didn't happen but there was not enough time for them to play the veto card before the first race.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

be nice wicka posted:

then the gently caress are you posting in an F1 thread for if you supposedly don't watch or care about the sport
Look at this guy who doesn't know about the worst thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol i'm watching qualifying now, this is the single stupidest thing i've ever seen in my life. it only works if teams just go out and do lap after lap after lap, which is literally impossible given the tire rules. no one spent two seconds thinking about this.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
The new qualifying format would probably be fine and quite exciting if the cars had enough fuel + the tyres were suitable to do a large number of qualifying laps in a row without falling off such that the cars were just pounding round the circuit setting times non-stop, giving everyone a decent chance of being able to push to set a better time as they get towards the drop zone.

It does not work when the cars need 3+ minutes following each completed hot lap.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
the only way the elimination system could work if it was a single long session qualifying but good luck convincing the FOM to that, they'd rather slap on a dumb gimmick to it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If everyone bitches about the knockout qualifying then we will end up with some bullshit linked to twitter like formula e got. So be careful what you wish for.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

If everyone bitches about the knockout qualifying then we will end up with some bullshit linked to twitter like formula e got. So be careful what you wish for.

Bernie doesn't know what Twitter is, so I think we're safe on that one.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Thanks Ants posted:

The dubstep hashtag thing before the break makes me react like :bahgawd:

I know why it's there and all but I think it will kill me by mid-May

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Also didn't we discuss the salary cap last year or the year before and decide it's pointless because ferrari etc would just charge the engine design to their totally new trust us its a road car programme

You say that like it didnt already happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_yiOp_Xyc

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Norns posted:

I'm not going to claim to know the answer...but Q2 and Q3 were poo poo. Q1 was entertaining. But the format as a whole is terrible.

Was it Bottas who got knocked into the elimination zone (is that the right term?) while he was on his in lap?

This format works if tyres/fuel/communication allows Bottas to instantly respond to potential elimination by doing one last fast lap.

Which is sorta how it was before.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

What's wrong with a top 10 shoot out, Aussie V8 Supercar style.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NBCSN's commentators agree: new qualifying is bad. I also agree.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

serious gaylord posted:

Think about what you're suggesting, and then think about the sport you're suggesting it for. F1, a sport where teams work out to the hundreth of a second how fast a car can go to maximise tyre and fuel life while maintaining decent lap speed. Now imagine what will happen if teams know theres a reverse grid. It won't be a battle to win, it will be a battle to finish in the mathematically highest point scoring spot that will leave them the best chance in the next race.

You'd see cars deliberately slowing down to finish 5th or something, with people refusing to overtake each other. Its a stupid idea.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The latest story from Italy is that Bernie refused the ACI's offer of 19 million dollars and Monza is hosed: http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2016/03/19/formula-1-il-presidente-dellaci-gp-di-monza-salta-ora-si-tratta-su-imola/2562784/

Apparently, Bernie didn't agree with the proposed changes to the track (apparently related to the SBK races). Can't say I blame the old goblin lord in this case, though, because the plans that were floated around earlier were completely idiotic. Why yes let's just gut Curva Grande and put a chicane in the middle there, that'll work nicely. :downs: I somehow expect nothing to happen to the track and that they end up working out an arrangement with Bernie at the last moment.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

NBCSN's commentators agree: new qualifying is bad. I also agree.
The part at the end where Leigh Diffey essentially apologized to viewers for wasting their time was pretty special.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

anyone notice the sensodyne logo on mclaren's rear wing? looks like they're doing GSK poo poo again

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doc Morbid posted:

Apparently, Bernie didn't agree with the proposed changes to the track (apparently related to the SBK races). Can't say I blame the old goblin lord in this case, though, because the plans that were floated around earlier were completely idiotic. Why yes let's just gut Curva Grande and put a chicane in the middle there, that'll work nicely. :downs: I somehow expect nothing to happen to the track and that they end up working out an arrangement with Bernie at the last moment.
What makes you think Bernie won't just drop Monza and Silverstone and Spa and add Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and Qatar, real countries because they can pay real prices for real F1 unlike fake countries like UK Belgium and Italy

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Monza, Spa and Silverstone have produced some real boring races lately tbqh

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

anyone notice the sensodyne logo on mclaren's rear wing? looks like they're doing GSK poo poo again

They've always been with GSK, McLaren are on their branding site, the lucozade stuff went away because they sold that business

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

silverstone is probably the most overrated sports venue in the world

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What makes you think Bernie won't just drop Monza and Silverstone and Spa and add Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and Qatar, real countries because they can pay real prices for real F1 unlike fake countries like UK Belgium and Italy
I was trying to be optimistic for once! Your scenario is more likely, though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

They've always been with GSK, McLaren are on their branding site, the lucozade stuff went away because they sold that business

yeah but GSK isn't on mclaren's partners site and that decal was put on between friday and saturday. just came out of nowhere. and i think they mostly work with mclaren applied technologies these days.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

El Hefe posted:

Monza, Spa and Silverstone have produced some real boring races lately tbqh

Spa quali and Silverstone race were the highlights of 2013 thank you very much

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

yeah but GSK isn't on mclaren's partners site and that decal was put on between friday and saturday. just came out of nowhere. and i think they mostly work with mclaren applied technologies these days.

Yeah they just needed a key product to place there, there's a lot of internal poo poo that goes on.. Sensodyne won i guess
Trust me they always have McLaren videos and stuff on their brand site

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Yeah they just needed a key product to place there, there's a lot of internal poo poo that goes on.. Sensodyne won i guess
Trust me they always have McLaren videos and stuff on their brand site

as an autistic honda owner with sensitive teeth i just love this team

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

as an autistic honda owner with sensitive teeth i just love this team

Do you use Sensodyne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted: