Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Found out you can jump before aiming a throwing item like a divine light, and it will hold you in midair for a second while you aim, which lets you get a lot more distance on your throw.

Also good god the tree of men is not a fun fight. I've enjoyed every fight in the game so far other than that one. It didn't help that at one point it just didn't give me my salt back even though I knocked its health below the salt marker, which just stayed there, so I lost a bunch. The area after it was very hard and I didn't like some of the enemies much with my rank 2 sword taking 8 hits to kill, but I'm starting to ruin things with holy buffs now that I have 3 replenishing buff items from the creed.

The messages in this game are extremely good because it lets you build them word by word. Finally you can be told to get good from within the game :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any way to deal with the Kraeken Wyrm's flying breath attack? The loving thing just seems to start spamming it halfway through the battle and I can't hit the drat thing, and I seem to gradually get hemmed in by the side of the screen to the point where I can't even dodge through the flames anymore. It's incredibly annoying as I've got the battle down perfectly otherwise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

I don't think I took any falling damage on the Tree? Wait for him to roar, jump to a higher platform, and hit his head when he lowers it. The only time you should be down by his feet is when he's breathing fire. That was my favorite boss fight so far since it actually had features to its arena.

What weapon were you using? I have an axe, so its reach isn't so great, I usually jumped out and hacked at his dangling bits, particularly 'cause of all the flamethrowers.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any way to deal with the Kraeken Wyrm's flying breath attack? The loving thing just seems to start spamming it halfway through the battle and I can't hit the drat thing, and I seem to gradually get hemmed in by the side of the screen to the point where I can't even dodge through the flames anymore. It's incredibly annoying as I've got the battle down perfectly otherwise.

He will always swoop down and spray fire at where you were standing when he flew up. So once he hops off the ground, do a jump attack on him, then run to the edge of the arena. Wait a second, then run to the opposite side. He should fly right over your head and breathe fire on where you were. I love it when he spams this 'cause then I can just keep jumping and hitting him for risk free damage until he lands.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He will always swoop down and spray fire at where you were standing when he flew up. So once he hops off the ground, do a jump attack on him, then run to the edge of the arena. Wait a second, then run to the opposite side. He should fly right over your head and breathe fire on where you were. I love it when he spams this 'cause then I can just keep jumping and hitting him for risk free damage until he lands.

Wait, what? He keeps coming in from the side of the screen and breathing fire as soon as he appears. :psyduck:

Something fishy is going on here.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, what? He keeps coming in from the side of the screen and breathing fire as soon as he appears. :psyduck:

Something fishy is going on here.

He comes in, but won't start spraying fire until he's close to where you were. It's quite malleable, you'll notice it right away if you have forced him at all towards the left side of the screen, then head right. It's the truth!
EDIT: He comes in from the edge of the platform always, so move that way so the screen moves with you.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Reksi posted:

IIRC, to the left of the coveted there's a wall you can jump up even though it just looks like darkness up there.

No that's where the sorcerer guy is. As far as I can tell, the knight might just be bugged or something. It's hard to know though because apparently literally nobody knows where this guy is even supposed to be. Like, I know for sure I talked to him at the cave. The next says at the bottom of the ruined temple, after the boss, and there's no one there so I don't know if he's gone or something got missed up or if the spot is super hidden or something or what. Literally no one has confirmed where he is even "supposed" to be. I've started a new run and build but I would like to know ahead of time how to not mess up the quest line. Google pops up nothing.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What weapon were you using? I have an axe, so its reach isn't so great, I usually jumped out and hacked at his dangling bits, particularly 'cause of all the flamethrowers.

I was using the Red Guillotine which is a 1H axe. His head comes right down to the platform. I took a little jump to do the air combo but stayed right by the platforms. The flamethrowers are a nuisance but there's fire resist gear.

The first boss that has pissed me off is the Witch of the Lake being able to float off screen to cast magic. Also the boss of the Pitchwoods was really on the nose, even for this game. This game just keeps going and going.

edit: finally beat it. Good game, far exceeded my expectations.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 19, 2016

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

So It Goes posted:

No that's where the sorcerer guy is. As far as I can tell, the knight might just be bugged or something. It's hard to know though because apparently literally nobody knows where this guy is even supposed to be. Like, I know for sure I talked to him at the cave. The next says at the bottom of the ruined temple, after the boss, and there's no one there so I don't know if he's gone or something got missed up or if the spot is super hidden or something or what. Literally no one has confirmed where he is even "supposed" to be. I've started a new run and build but I would like to know ahead of time how to not mess up the quest line. Google pops up nothing.

Maybe there's something mysterious that determines who shows up there? Because I definitely didn't encounter the sorcerer in that spot. I only ever found him once after getting his brand, on the Ziggurat.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

NG+ salt inflation is hilarious. Regular guys at the beginning drop like 600-700 and I got like 70000 from the first boss.

It kills the scaling. Boss rewards are good, as are weak enemies, but big difficult dudes give basically the same as first zone lovely enemies compared to their time investments.

So It Goes posted:

You have to deplete his dialogue at each of his four spots, and if you kill a boss without doing so, he vanishes.
http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Masterless+Knight

(can we get the wiki in the OP? It's super WIP right now but it's got 'vital' stuff.)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Well shoot, looks like I missed out on one of those dialog spots. Too bad for my first playthrough :(

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

You have to deplete his dialogue at each of his four spots, and if you kill a boss without doing so, he vanishes.

I did encounter him up through the cave and talked to him fully (meaning I talked to him in all the earlier locations as well). I remember his cave dialogue was about how the castle and hall of cages were famous in other areas and seem to be replicas or something. I later killed the coveted and never saw the knight in the ruined temple. The wiki explicitly says after the coveted, so it doesn't seem like that spot would disappear after the boss since you have to beat the boss before you can get to the spot where he's supposed to be "at the base of the temple"? And it was definitely the sorcerer for me who was in the area the other poster is talking about, he talked about how the ruined temple background and his clothes were in a chest there.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Base of the temple means RIGHT before the beach where you fight the witch, a little past? or near? the entry to pitchwood

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I realized you can do the Ziggurat before Hagar's Cavern and the Mire of Stench. It makes those zones a lot more fun.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That dome place is cool but the last challenge is nuts. I don't know why this knight has so much loving hp.

There's a few weird things like that. The hit boxes from Retcheaters is weird too, I've hit them with a fatal blow, only for them to still grab me AND damage me in their grab attack animation before vanishing abruptly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if spells count as a "attacks" for the purposes of the focus restoring item the mage creed gives you?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That dome place is cool but the last challenge is nuts. I don't know why this knight has so much loving hp.

There's a few weird things like that. The hit boxes from Retcheaters is weird too, I've hit them with a fatal blow, only for them to still grab me AND damage me in their grab attack animation before vanishing abruptly.

Yeah, I've had that happen too. Some other weird bugs: If you get killed by boss several seconds after you kill it (as far as I know poison is the only way to do this) your salt is stolen by "A Simple Sack" and is unrecoverable as far as I can tell. If you land on a disappearing platform and die from fall damage your character's corpse will get back up, fall and die again when it hits the ground. This can happen multiple times if there are multiple disappearing platforms beneath you.

The knights have crazy resistance to bladed weapons but die pretty quick to blunt, in my experience.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

Base of the temple means RIGHT before the beach where you fight the witch, a little past? or near? the entry to pitchwood

I've been there, after exhausting the knight's cave dialogue (I did the cave before the ruined temple). He never appeared there so there's something more going on with the NPC questlines. Especially considering the other guy saying a different NPC was in the sport where the sorcerer is (what NPC was it I wonder?)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've beaten jester and alchemist and kraeken, etc... I explored a bit and got items at dead ends... Other than getting the Hager hate open from the right side somehow the only place I seem to have left is the Red Hall? (With the sword zombie right inside...) but it has a NASTY fall and that's about it...

A little guidance, if you please?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Feenix posted:

I've beaten jester and alchemist and kraeken, etc... I explored a bit and got items at dead ends... Other than getting the Hager hate open from the right side somehow the only place I seem to have left is the Red Hall? (With the sword zombie right inside...) but it has a NASTY fall and that's about it...

Look around in the area past the jester fight. There should be someone you can talk to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Moon Monster posted:

Look around in the area past the jester fight. There should be someone you can talk to.

The upside down dude? I did. It sounded like a covenant to join which I did not. That one?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ It is not a covenant. He's offering you a Brand; Brands work like Metroid-style traversal upgrades, and you should accept them when offered.

Feenix posted:

Beating the Jester should have unlocked a route to an NPC. They ask you if you want something; answer YES to open up the path forward.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

I realized you can do the Ziggurat before Hagar's Cavern and the Mire of Stench. It makes those zones a lot more fun.

If you can get past the Spindlebeasts in Pitchwoods, I think you can skip the entire Red Hall of Cages path since there's no redshift barriers in the end game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Really not enjoying the boss encounters at all.

lmfao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They aren't even very hard so far they just aren't that fun. I don't like the mechanics when stuffed into a little box like that.

E: that post was not an "I'm stuck" post as much as you want it to be, being one of the worlds most insufferable souls fans SFM.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 19, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NESguerilla posted:

They aren't even very hard so far thy just aren't that fun. I don't like the mechanics when stuffed into a little box like that.

E: that post was not an "I'm stuck" post as much as you want it to be, being the worlds most insufferable souls fan SFM.

Yeah I agree that they don't benefit from the tiny arenas. I've only killed 4 or 5 though and there are apparently upwards of 20 so maybe there's some more variety later. I DID really like the Jester, as effective as the "Estus flasks" are the room is so small and he's so aggressive that healing is very risky and tense and there were a few moments where I made it through the healing animation with fractions of a second to spare before he otherwise would have killed me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Nice to see the ''homage'' to the souls series carries as far as produce-themed armor sets

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

Yeah I agree that they don't benefit from the tiny arenas. I've only killed 4 or 5 though and there are apparently upwards of 20 so maybe there's some more variety later. I DID really like the Jester, as effective as the "Estus flasks" are the room is so small and he's so aggressive that healing is very risky and tense and there were a few moments where I made it through the healing animation with fractions of a second to spare before he otherwise would have killed me.

Yeah. I've only killed 4, so there might be more variety later on, but I'd like to see some more platforms and movement. So far every one I have fought you are just crammed into a tiny flat space rolling into their attacks because all of them extend beyond how far you can roll away. The only exception being that alchemist guy who was really obnoxious my first two tries until my third try where I just pinned him into a corner and literally stun locked him to death. That fight was dumb.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I found a guy that sells level 2 heavy armor, I bought the chest slot and my paladin can't budge in it. As a heavy armor guy should I prioritize endurance for awhile?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice about the Wyrm. Killed him this time, he barely got off the ground.

NotAnArtist posted:

Nice to see the ''homage'' to the souls series carries as far as produce-themed armor sets

The game's a bit weird with stuff like this. When it shamelessly rips off Dark Souls but expands on it, I love it (stuff such as the corpses of other players being used as trophies by bosses, etc), but then it tries to innovate elsewhere and kinda messes up. The skill tree is pointlessly huge for what amounts to "more strength, more dexterity".

I really enjoy the game, but its systems feel kinda schizophrenic.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

poor life choice posted:

I found a guy that sells level 2 heavy armor, I bought the chest slot and my paladin can't budge in it. As a heavy armor guy should I prioritize endurance for awhile?

I worked to balance my character early-game for heavy armor and 2handing weapons. I ended up splitting my advancement between strength and endurance. I couldn't wear much of the cooler stuff I found for quite some time as a result.

Side note, I really wish there was a comparative chart to show differences between equipped versus unequipped weapons and armor.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

poor life choice posted:

I'm level 95ish with rank 5 heavy armour and 50ish endurance. I use leather gloves/helm, a split mask, and a lamprey cuirass. The heavy stuff is just way too heavy to use with a weapon/shield or 2-hander unless you have ridiculous stats. Rolling over 75% encumbrance is awful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. I've only killed 4, so there might be more variety later on, but I'd like to see some more platforms and movement. So far every one I have fought you are just crammed into a tiny flat space rolling into their attacks because all of them extend beyond how far you can roll away. The only exception being that alchemist guy who was really obnoxious my first two tries until my third try where I just pinned him into a corner and literally stun locked him to death. That fight was dumb.

Fighting in general definitely seems to have an over reliance on dodging through enemies to the other side. Maybe it changes if you use tower shields, but when just using weapons, it feels like most fights against bigger enemies come down to rolling through them a bunch. Game feels like castlevania a lot of the time, but then against bigger enemies it becomes a twist on the usual strategy in monster hunter and dark souls where you have to counterintuitively dodge into attacks, which I accept is part of those games but kinda loathe. In salt and sanctuary, this becomes rolling into the enemy after the point in their attack when they can no longer turn around. The problem is that most of their attacks don't feel dodgeable if you try to do anything else.

If you want platforms and movement, well uh just keep playing but you might not enjoy it when you get it

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 19, 2016

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. I've only killed 4, so there might be more variety later on, but I'd like to see some more platforms and movement.
You are at the beginning of the game still, all of things will happen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When will I find other greatswords?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

When will I find other greatswords?

You don't. The only greatsword you can find is the basic Kureimoa, everything else needs to be transmuted from it. You can get more Kureimoas at least; if you're at rank 2 in the Iron Ones or The Three then those blacksmiths will sell you it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

for real? lmao

I think the itemization of poo poo you find laying around needs to be adjusted in some places. I haven't seen a single piece of tier 3 armor or weapons, and only one or two tier 2 weapons, and yet I just picked up a set of tier 4 heavy armor right after the wyrm at the top of the castle. What the heck

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Game has a hard on for heavy armor. Half of the light armor sets in the game don't even have matching gloves.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Genocyber posted:

You don't. The only greatsword you can find is the basic Kureimoa, everything else needs to be transmuted from it. You can get more Kureimoas at least; if you're at rank 2 in the Iron Ones or The Three then those blacksmiths will sell you it.

So if I like Greatswords I should not fear upgrading it for the worry of wasting upgrade resources on a weapon when I may find a better one, because it's just one I keep upgrading?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

So if I like Greatswords I should not fear upgrading it for the worry of wasting upgrade resources on a weapon when I may find a better one, because it's just one I keep upgrading?

Yes. It's like that for all the weapons, you don't really find higher tier ones out in the world much if at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

I haven't tried magic yet so I don't know if there's any areas you want to beeline for, but you can get a wizard who sells a few spells and staves if you use a stone mage at a sanctuary.

• Locked thread