Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
*Hands defendant a Steamboat Willy style boat whistle*

As you know, maritime law dictates that attorney-client privilege can only be invoked if you begin and end everything you say by tooting this whistle.

*Enthusiastic tooting*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm sorry but legally you'll have to give your testimony in semaphore flags

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
refer to the defendant as a coxswain constantly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm writing a paper about idiot sovcits and just recently gave a 45 minute presentation on the subject. I was bare bones just touching on beliefs just so I could give people a background and had to pause multiple times to explain that yes, these are what these idiots really believe and there is absolutely no merit to any of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm writing a paper about idiot sovcits and just recently gave a 45 minute presentation on the subject. I was bare bones just touching on beliefs just so I could give people a background and had to pause multiple times to explain that yes, these are what these idiots really believe and there is absolutely no merit to any of it.

Share, please-the slides, at least.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

i hope you accompanied this with those youtube compilations of sovcitz getting copwrecked

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Preview of what we can expect from the court proceedings, just a little more... chicken focused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jre-aMAgP5I

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Share, please-the slides, at least.

They weren't anything too crazy. Started with a few jokes. On the first slide I had firstname-middlename of the family lastname. The prof at first was genuinely confused and thought I had a hyphenated name I went by. Next I had a slide that had some of the snake oil sales pitches.

After that I got into what I'm actually talking about. I started with the history and the Posse Comitatus groups in the 60s and 70s. Then I started talking about the various laws they misinterpret/don't understand. Started with the posse comitatus act of 1978, followed by the 14th amendment, the federal reserve act of 1913 and the banking act of 1933 (creating the fed and ending the gold standard). Next I had a bobby hill gadsen flag while I explained what the strawman is and the redemption movement. Next the UCC, Form UCC-1, the magna carta, articles of confederation, and the constitution. Next was a quick explanation of the maritime flag bullshit and that was all the background info.

After that I went into a little bit of classification and stats. I had some numbers from the DOJ, FBI, and SPLC. Then I listed a bunch of crimes from the 2014 homeland security report on domestic terrorism, highlighted a few things absent form the homeland security report (Oklahoma city 1995, Baltimore's Willie Mitchell & Gang trial from 2005, and the bundy poo poo in 2014 and in oregon).

Finally I talked a bit about what to do, and primarily the best things I got are increased LEO training/court training on how to deal with these guys, strip sovcits rights to proceed pro se, and inside prisons themselves get better legal education and mental health access. I think some cult therapy might help even.

This is all for a prison reform seminar, so I have to tie the overall theme of my paper to it somehow. The prof was especially struck by the freddie mitchell stuff in baltimore and how this white supremacist movement was being used by black defendants. A few pages of expose on that and how this thought has infiltrated the prison system should suffice.

My paper when done might actually get published. I don't know. I'll probably share it if it actually turns out decent.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

They weren't anything too crazy. Started with a few jokes. On the first slide I had firstname-middlename of the family lastname. The prof at first was genuinely confused and thought I had a hyphenated name I went by. Next I had a slide that had some of the snake oil sales pitches.

After that I got into what I'm actually talking about. I started with the history and the Posse Comitatus groups in the 60s and 70s. Then I started talking about the various laws they misinterpret/don't understand. Started with the posse comitatus act of 1978, followed by the 14th amendment, the federal reserve act of 1913 and the banking act of 1933 (creating the fed and ending the gold standard). Next I had a bobby hill gadsen flag while I explained what the strawman is and the redemption movement. Next the UCC, Form UCC-1, the magna carta, articles of confederation, and the constitution. Next was a quick explanation of the maritime flag bullshit and that was all the background info.

After that I went into a little bit of classification and stats. I had some numbers from the DOJ, FBI, and SPLC. Then I listed a bunch of crimes from the 2014 homeland security report on domestic terrorism, highlighted a few things absent form the homeland security report (Oklahoma city 1995, Baltimore's Willie Mitchell & Gang trial from 2005, and the bundy poo poo in 2014 and in oregon).

Finally I talked a bit about what to do, and primarily the best things I got are increased LEO training/court training on how to deal with these guys, strip sovcits rights to proceed pro se, and inside prisons themselves get better legal education and mental health access. I think some cult therapy might help even.

This is all for a prison reform seminar, so I have to tie the overall theme of my paper to it somehow. The prof was especially struck by the freddie mitchell stuff in baltimore and how this white supremacist movement was being used by black defendants. A few pages of expose on that and how this thought has infiltrated the prison system should suffice.

My paper when done might actually get published. I don't know. I'll probably share it if it actually turns out decent.

This is super cool and I would like to know what the hell profession/class course you are in where you get to publish papers about crazy weirdos for a living (that isn't, you know, psychiatry or something)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

This is super cool and I would like to know what the hell profession/class course you are in where you get to publish papers about crazy weirdos for a living (that isn't, you know, psychiatry or something)

Its law school. I have to satisfy the upper level writing requirement to graduate. I'm taking this prison reform seminar, and since sovcits make up a non-trivial amount of the prison population, I was able to convince my prof to let me write about it.

Part of requirement for the paper is it must be of publishable quality, and if the prof thinks it's solid enough she'll help me get it into a journal or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its law school. I have to satisfy the upper level writing requirement to graduate. I'm taking this prison reform seminar, and since sovcits make up a non-trivial amount of the prison population, I was able to convince my prof to let me write about it.

Part of requirement for the paper is it must be of publishable quality, and if the prof thinks it's solid enough she'll help me get it into a journal or something.

Oh neat. I've always found law fascinating, like I look up old supreme court cases on the most inane bullshit sometimes, or if there's a law that effects me directly (like Florida's prescription drug laws, which are goddamn ridiculous :argh:) I'll actually go and read the statutes rather than some news article summary on them (and my mommy always said I should be a lawyer cuz i argue too much :v:)

Anyway definitely post it if it goes anywhere, I'd be very interested in reading it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Where can I find resources/examples of the cross-over with inner city/non-white defendants trying to utilize the "toot toot not a boat you hold no authority over me" thing? I've only seen examples of it being crazy rednecks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

citybeatnik posted:

Where can I find resources/examples of the cross-over with inner city/non-white defendants trying to utilize the "toot toot not a boat you hold no authority over me" thing? I've only seen examples of it being crazy rednecks.

Wesley Snipes went to jail because he was sure that under moorish law he didn't owe taxes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPXcbb53vr8

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

citybeatnik posted:

An excellent article describing one series of cases, and the threat that sovcits pose to legal systems, is here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

An excellent article describing one series of cases, and the threat that sovcits pose to legal systems, is here.

This case is actually going to be a big part of my paper. I need to see if I can get any of the actual court documents on lexis or west.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Krinkle posted:

Wesley Snipes went to jail because he was sure that under moorish law he didn't owe taxes.

I'm in a tax procedure class and we actually used his denied settlement offer of 800k for his over $18 million in tax liability as an example. My prof used to be a revenue agent and I think he was at the agency at the time. It's fun to bullshit with that guy about these nuts. My copyright prof is writing an article to completely poo poo all over some Bitcoin article someone he knows wrote in some other journal.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm in a tax procedure class and we actually used his denied settlement offer of 800k for his over $18 million in tax liability as an example. My prof used to be a revenue agent and I think he was at the agency at the time. It's fun to bullshit with that guy about these nuts. My copyright prof is writing an article to completely poo poo all over some Bitcoin article someone he knows wrote in some other journal.

There's actually an Internal Revenue Code section (6702) that assesses $5,000 penalties on taxpayers and their attorneys for arguing frivolous tax positions - the case law in that area is hilarious.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please link me to that article when it gets published.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Absolutely fascinating y'all. My narrow range of law is limited to asylum hearing and BIA stuff so this is all news to me. Thanks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

This case is actually going to be a big part of my paper. I need to see if I can get any of the actual court documents on lexis or west.

I don't have access to the databases anymore (I'm free of law school, thankfully). This appears to be one of the main cases, though- you can probably trace the number back pretty easily.

You may need to create an account (it's free iirc) with the appellate system site to access individual case material, though- or even contact them and file a request for the docs separately.

edit: Oh hey, here's another law journal article focusing on the case. Hope it's useful and not too close to what you're doing!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its law school.

Sincere condolences.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ThirdPartyView posted:

There's actually an Internal Revenue Code section (6702) that assesses $5,000 penalties on taxpayers and their attorneys for arguing frivolous tax positions - the case law in that area is hilarious.

Examples ?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://violentmetaphors.com/2016/02/09/conspirasea-day-7-i-failed/

This is a good article, about a skeptic's encounter with someone who is considering taking advice from a sovcit type to get out debt and paying taxes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/The-Truth-About-Frivolous-Tax-Arguments-Introduction

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you get into the weird Moorish temple stuff that's dominant in Chicago? I ran into them a lot in court and was wondering how much they pop up in the grand scheme of sovcits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mastershakeman posted:

Did you get into the weird Moorish temple stuff that's dominant in Chicago? I ran into them a lot in court and was wondering how much they pop up in the grand scheme of sovcits.

You got any good info on them? So far the stuff I've seen said that the big moorish science temple disavows anyone using the sovcit tactics, but I think the group that does it is a bit of a splinter.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not like this sovcit poo poo makes a lot of sense, but when is it good to be a boat? I have a friend who is a genius, one of the smartest folk I've ever met. But lately he has been falling into a sinkhole of sovcit legal nonsense.

Like, he's telling me he wants to buy a new car because if he gets the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin certificate then, through a whole lotta nonsense, he can prove to the court that his car is legally not a vehicle and is more akin to a tractor. A machine that is technically roadworthy, but somehow legally distinct because I guess there is no case precedent for someone being arrested on a tractor.

I have tried blowing my boat whistle at him but he persists in this crazy line of thought. What should I do?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mr. Nice! posted:

There have been legal scholars that have suggested that people asserting sovcit defenses should lose their right to self representation.

As it should be. SovCit's "victories" come from being such massive annoyances that the courts drop small cases they cause just to get rid of them. Cutting that out probably won't do anything to make them realize that their nonsense isn't actual law, but it will save everyone a lot of time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cumshitter posted:

Not like this sovcit poo poo makes a lot of sense, but when is it good to be a boat? I have a friend who is a genius, one of the smartest folk I've ever met. But lately he has been falling into a sinkhole of sovcit legal nonsense.

Like, he's telling me he wants to buy a new car because if he gets the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin certificate then, through a whole lotta nonsense, he can prove to the court that his car is legally not a vehicle and is more akin to a tractor. A machine that is technically roadworthy, but somehow legally distinct because I guess there is no case precedent for someone being arrested on a tractor.

I have tried blowing my boat whistle at him but he persists in this crazy line of thought. What should I do?

People can get duis and all sorts of other tickets on tractors. Lawnmower duis are weekly occurrences in some parts of the country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lawnmower duis are weekly occurrences in some parts of the country.

The south?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most any rural place, really.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I know a bunch of people who have gotten boat DUIs. I wonder what a sovcit defense for that would be like, being an admiralty court and all.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hell, we had a guy here in Austin get arrested for a DUI while on a horse.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You can get a DUI on a bicycle in multiple states that I am aware of.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You can get a DUI on a bicycle in multiple states that I am aware of.

Yep, anything that's considered a vehicle. Most cyclists may not realize it, as they blow past a stop sign and get turned into mush by an SUV, but they are absolutely vehicles that must obey all traffic laws. Basically if you can't legally take it on a sidewalk, it's a vehicle

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
One of Trump's New Hampshire alternate delegates is a guy under indictment and held without bail for his involvement in the Bundy Standoff, and his wife is as well

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

Hell, we had a guy here in Austin get arrested for a DUI while on a horse.
Got that beat. Also last year the mayor pushed another guy off a bar stool.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

People can get duis and all sorts of other tickets on tractors. Lawnmower duis are weekly occurrences in some parts of the country.

It's not legally a vehicle if you keep the certificate and never joinder with the DMV you loving retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

cumshitter posted:

It's not legally a vehicle if you keep the certificate and never joinder with the DMV you loving retard.

Yeah look at these losers who ride their bicycle instead of travel in it.