Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I don't play Bethesda games for precisely that reason. Thanks for being weirdly aggressive about it though!

It's because people who actually bother to mod Bethesda games are sick to death of having had people whine about having to mod Bethesda games for the past 14 years. Bethesda isn't going to stop making janky games, the modders aren't going to stop improving them, and players aren't going to stop playing them, because there is not and never will be competition for Bethesda's formula until million-dollar bills rain from the sky and nobody has to worry about budgets anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Bethesda can't be all that bad, Todd Howard just won a lifetime achievement award at gdc

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spinning Robo posted:

Bethesda can't be all that bad, Todd Howard just won a lifetime achievement award at gdc

please understand

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

It's because people who actually bother to mod Bethesda games are sick to death of having had people whine about having to mod Bethesda games for the past 14 years. Bethesda isn't going to stop making janky games, the modders aren't going to stop improving them, and players aren't going to stop playing them, because there is not and never will be competition for Bethesda's formula until million-dollar bills rain from the sky and nobody has to worry about budgets anymore.

Lol you play games you can't enjoy until some nerd fixes them because the company knows they can release a half-finished product and spergs will eat that poo poo up and ask for seconds

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Modders is the reason Just Cause 3 doesn't have multi, because Square knew modders would add it in themselves like they did with 2, so why add it themselves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lol you play games you can't enjoy until some nerd fixes them because the company knows they can release a half-finished product and spergs will eat that poo poo up and ask for seconds

Alteisen posted:

Modders is the reason Just Cause 3 doesn't have multi, because Square knew modders would add it in themselves like they did with 2, so why add it themselves.

There's a sick burn here about something, I think maybe the Free Market strategy, I know it.

Anyway, why would a company pay money for something when they know someone else will do it for free?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just started salt and sanctuary and the gameplay is really good but the art direction on the characters is kind of awful. Their misproportioned bodies and cartoony faces completely clash with the turbogrimdark setting and ruins the atmosphere a bit, and it makes the game look pretty silly when it really shouldn't. Someone mentioned that they look like something you'd see in a newgrounds flash game and I'm inclined to agree.

Also, this is just aesthetic preference but I hate how washed out and desaturated the environments look. It makes areas less visually distinct than they could be and generally reduces everything you see into a blurry mess where you can't make out any details.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Equip her with one or two steel bars, should be nothing stopping you from attacking :)

Figures it was the last weapon on the list. And poo poo now she's like the best fighter on the team.

I amend my previous complaint to "the Sonic UGC version of the game doesn't come with the manuals that apparently explained some important things and had maps of the dungeons and so on."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lol at actually liking and enjoing things, way better to spend years holding a grudge and calling everyone else spergs for liking a game you didnt.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This is literally "stop liking things I don't like". Shut up.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Both sides of this stupid slapfight are wrong in their own special way and you should all just shut up ffs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dark Souls

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen posted:

Dark Souls

gently caress you

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

RareAcumen posted:

Dark Souls

dork souls

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These driving controls in Borderlands are bewildering. I get that the game is built on co-op but man is this awkward. Instead of just turning and accelerating with the left stick, turning is bound to the right one and left only has control of goesforward and goesback.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

RareAcumen posted:

Dark Souls

LIKE DARK SOULS.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiberius Thyben posted:

LIKE DARK SOULS.

The Dark Souls of internet slapfights

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Since it's almost totally invented from whole cloth for the game, the holy sites in Heliopolis and Baghdad are so you can use it as any of the various Sun-worshipping faiths in that part of the world, from Ra to Shamash to Surya.
Pfffffff, hahaha no.

It's because it's funny. Also groogy does it to troll people like me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

These driving controls in Borderlands are bewildering. I get that the game is built on co-op but man is this awkward. Instead of just turning and accelerating with the left stick, turning is bound to the right one and left only has control of goesforward and goesback.
On PC the keyboard controls front and back, and the car just steers in the direction you point the mouse.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The voice settings for The Division default to voice activated. So essentially everyone has open mics all the time, unless they've gone into the audio settings and changed them to push to talk.

Why the hell is that the default, unlike every other multiplayer game I've ever played where mic controls default to push to talk or off?

As it is, every other random pubbie group I join is a cacophony of keyboards clacking and one sided phone conversations with the occasional random family member jabbering about something in the background.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
There are tons of dogs wandering the streets in The Division, but there is no 'pet' button. :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassin's Creed II is one of the easier games in the series to 100 per cent, but it's nowhere near as good as Black Flag. After the dumbest scene in the game where it turns out all your mentors were secretly testing you for some reason (and Machiavelli shows up out of nowhere) you have to do the DLC missions. They're not optional and they quite buggy. I had to finish chapter 13 before starting chapter 12, and 13 is the worst chapter of the game. You have to kill a series of targets without being spotted, in a game that's spotty about the whole stealth aspect. This is the worst mission in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncRUMstebI

gently caress the unmapped feathers.

Ezio has no character arc. In 20 years all that's changes is that he gets a beard and his voice becomes deeper. He kills hundreds of underlings but opts to spare the mastermind because "it won't bring his family back". You spare the villain in a later game, but it's makes sense there as you want him to deter his people from interfering, here in AC II it's simply because the villain is a real-life person who didn't die in the same year as the game.

The race missions would be annoying if not for the fact they have the best music in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9geXVAOFDg

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Can I do a "PYF thing dragging this series down" thing? Because I got an Orcs Must Die: Unchained beta invite. OMD 1 and 2 were pretty good tower defense games, with the big catch being that you had to take an active role in fighting off the waves of monsters using weapons and spells. So, first game you're Maximillian the War Mage, a cocky (and hilarious) piece of poo poo fighting Gabriella, an evil sorceress who has taken control of the orc hordes. Second game takes place immediately after the first. Gabriella is defeated, loses control of her army, and now she and Max have to team up to fight the orcs, and since Max is a big doofus (think Gaston before he gets all sinister in Beauty and the Beast) and she's smoking hot, sexual tension ensues. And *plot twist*, both of them trained under the same wizard. In the end she gives up her evil ways etc. etc. It's all an excuse plot because comedy and it worked as a great segue to introduce co-op mechanics for the sequel.

So what do they do with the series? Why, turn it into a generic League of Legends clone, complete with pay2win poo poo! And instead of fighting minions, you collect trading cards that give you minions, which just function as moba creeps. Even ripped IP (grind2win points) and RP (pay2win points) wholesale, former called "skulls" and latter "gold". The hero roster is filled in with a bunch of fantasy nobodies and upgraded monsters from the first two games, along with Max, Gabriella, and aforementioned wizard (forgot his name). I'm so loving sick of loving mobas ever since I stopped playing Dota, Awesomenauts is the only exception in my book and even then it's because it's mostly a 2D shooter with a moba twist.

I mean, they also brought back the tower defense bit, but it's so pitifully easy compared to the two main series games that it's obvious they're just trying to hype up MOBA #57834589.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

BlueKingBar posted:

I mean, they also brought back the tower defense bit, but it's so pitifully easy compared to the two main series games that it's obvious they're just trying to hype up MOBA #57834589.

If it was a moba based completely around tower defense building on your team and trying to overwhelm the enemy team I would sink so much money in to it so fast.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you start up a game and it has two different types of currency with a + in the corner of each window that you can click to buy more then close it, uninstall it, and give it the lowest rating the platform will allow. No exceptions.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Series turning into MOBAs seems to be what games turning into MMORPGs was in the 00's.

None of those were ever more than decent either. At least MOBAs are way cheaper to develop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Thoughtless posted:

Series turning into MOBAs seems to be what games turning into MMORPGs was in the 00's.

None of those were ever more than decent either. At least MOBAs are way cheaper to develop.

They're harder to keep alive though. At least failed MMORPGs can go F2P and get some players without having to compete with WoW. But the major MOBAs are already F2P so you can't even get that advantage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Garden Warfare 2 is super fun and I'm really digging it. I like how the main hub world has a bunch of dry-but-fun minigames/mini-missions to do. Play as a Cactus (sniper, basically) and pop a bunch of things before the time runs out. Hunt down a chest and kill the thing that comes out. It's all fun.

Except one loving one that's driving me mad. On the plant side, it tasks to defeat eight All-Star zombies. These are the highly armored, high speed Football Zombies from the original game. In Garden Warfare 2, these guys are represented quite close to Heavy Weapons Guys from TF2: High health, with a gun that just doesn't stop firing and does a lot of damage. You have to kill eight of these guys. They don't have a standardized spawn point, so you can't really plan ahead on where they are coming from, and there's no pots (where you can spawn in additional shooty-things) in the area. You don't regenerate your health, either, despite every other part of the game having it.

It's really the first "you need to invite people to your game to beat this one", but my social circles aren't exactly gunning for a reminds-me-of-UT shooter on Origin.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

If it was a moba based completely around tower defense building on your team and trying to overwhelm the enemy team I would sink so much money in to it so fast.

Toy Soldiers Complete has gameplay sorta like that, though sans mobaness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The party's stats in Bravely Default and Bravely Second are pretty badly balanced for the jobs you're actually getting.

In both games, the lineup is pretty simple in terms of stat spread, with all four members being very slightly geared towards certain stats and fighting styles:
-Tiz is the all-rounder,
-Agnes(BD)/Magnolia(BS) is the magic-user,
-Ringabel(BD)/Yew(BS) is speedy/dodgy,
-And Edea is physically strong.

That's all well and good as a balance, but since the Bravely games are basically classic Final Fantasy titles, with particular reference taken from FFV, the jobs you're playing with are packing a lot of magic, more than can really be covered by one party member. I usually go with two mages as a general balance in these games, one for healing and one for blowing poo poo up, but only one party member in the Bravely games is any good at that. Inversely, since the games are turn-based RPGs there's not a whole lot for a speedy character like Ringabel/Yew to bring to the table. So they kind of default to having the job of 'whatever else we need', which will probably result in them being a mage of some stripe, but they're not actually very good at magic. Plus that's the role you'd expect to give to Tiz since he's the all-rounder, so I don't entirely know what to do with him.

In fairness, this resolves itself by the end of the game, because eventually strategies solidify and your characters become number-spewing gods hitting 9999s regardless of what their stats are. But in the early stages where you're still feeling things out and actually finding/working towards those strategies, you've got this horrible balance of Agnes/Magnolia being stretched thin, Tiz and Ringabel/Yew having no clear idea what their role is, and Edea being basically the only one with her poo poo straightened out.

Not like it's hard to get it right. FFV did; Bartz and Faris are strong, Lenna and Krile are magic-heavy, with Faris and Krile trading in a tiny bit of their main stat for some extra speed. Easy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Characters in BD have different stats? I'm playing the game like I'm playing FFV: whoever looks silliest as the job gets top priority, unless there's some obvious synergy to miss.

EDIT: the differences in FFV are like +/-2 points, who cares

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Mar 19, 2016

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

If you start up a game and it has two different types of currency with a + in the corner of each window that you can click to buy more then close it, uninstall it, and give it the lowest rating the platform will allow. No exceptions.

Dungeon Keeper for iOs...:argh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Characters in BD have different stats? I'm playing the game like I'm playing FFV: whoever looks silliest as the job gets top priority, unless there's some obvious synergy to miss.

EDIT: the differences in FFV are like +/-2 points, who cares

It's pretty much the same in BD. The stat differences are really minor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mokinokaro posted:

It's pretty much the same in BD. The stat differences are really minor.

Yeah, they only really matter in the early game when the stats aren't very high. the difference between 12 and 13 strength is much more than the difference between 36 and 37. But again, early-game is what I'm talking about.

It's also, at least for me, sort of a psychological structural thing. I know from the stats that I should be giving Edea the strength-focused classes, Yew/Ringabel the stuff that benefits from being quick and such like that. But I also know from just playing the game that I need more than one mage, and yet I only have one good magic-user, so I feel like I have to compromise on that.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Garden Warfare 2 is super fun and I'm really digging it. I like how the main hub world has a bunch of dry-but-fun minigames/mini-missions to do. Play as a Cactus (sniper, basically) and pop a bunch of things before the time runs out. Hunt down a chest and kill the thing that comes out. It's all fun.

Except one loving one that's driving me mad. On the plant side, it tasks to defeat eight All-Star zombies. These are the highly armored, high speed Football Zombies from the original game. In Garden Warfare 2, these guys are represented quite close to Heavy Weapons Guys from TF2: High health, with a gun that just doesn't stop firing and does a lot of damage. You have to kill eight of these guys. They don't have a standardized spawn point, so you can't really plan ahead on where they are coming from, and there's no pots (where you can spawn in additional shooty-things) in the area. You don't regenerate your health, either, despite every other part of the game having it.

It's really the first "you need to invite people to your game to beat this one", but my social circles aren't exactly gunning for a reminds-me-of-UT shooter on Origin.

You have no idea that amount of vulgar words I was yelling during that all star bullshit

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RareAcumen posted:

There's a sick burn here about something, I think maybe the Free Market strategy, I know it.

Anyway, why would a company pay money for something when they know someone else will do it for free?

Such a dumb argument. It's a console game for starters, and multiplayer is huge bullet point on the box and great for longevity and virility of a game. Aka why every other game company pays money to ensure this aspect of the product is quality. You pay because if you want something right you do it yourself and you can get marketing on board. Invest capital for multiplicative dividends live fat.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Olaf The Stout posted:

Such a dumb argument. It's a console game for starters, and multiplayer is huge bullet point on the box and great for longevity and virility of a game. Aka why every other game company pays money to ensure this aspect of the product is quality. You pay because if you want something right you do it yourself and you can get marketing on board. Invest capital for multiplicative dividends live fat.

PC gamers tend to forget that every other platform exists and that theirs is by far the smallest and least profitable which is why games are always designed with consoles in mind.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Darkest Dungeon

I've been loving this game since I started playing it a couple of weeks ago. It's brutal even when you're on top, I get the game mechanics and accept it, if anything it's a breath of fresh air even if it's frustrating at times. But gently caress those enemies who can wreck your poo poo with one critical hit. Maxed character with fully upgraded equipment and abilities? Take this tree branch to the face which fully drains health. I see that they're at death's door, let my weak buddy go next with an attack that damages for a total of one and.... you're dead. That's the first battle done, only eighteen more rooms to explore....

I love this game, just at times.... AAARRRGHHHERDYHQ£%YERYHDYRH$H

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Duvel posted:

You have no idea that amount of vulgar words I was yelling during that all star bullshit

:agreed:, the worst thing is knowing that if it was part of a chain, the next round would've been more of em. gently caress that noise, I'm not going to try and take down eight Heavies any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Sleeveless posted:

PC gamers tend to forget that every other platform exists and that theirs is by far the smallest and least profitable which is why games are always designed with consoles in mind.

But actually PC is the biggest and most profitable gaming platform.